Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And fun fact, Israel allows no VFR at all. I think there’s few other countries like that. Only CVFR.

General Aviation in nordic countries is similar to the US since the Nordics are huge countries with barely any people in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Cat Wings posted:

I've mostly noticed it on skyvector, but is there a reason that the VFR charts outside America are so lacking in detail in comparison?

The VFR map on Skyvector outside the USA is auto generated. It brings in airspaces and some of the low IFR routes but isn't really a true VFR sectional.

Vahakyla posted:

And fun fact, Israel allows no VFR at all. I think there’s few other countries like that. Only CVFR.

General Aviation in nordic countries is similar to the US since the Nordics are huge countries with barely any people in them.

China can barely get all their IFR traffic up let alone whatever VFR traffic might exist.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I bought the drat Turtle Beach yoke. In my defense my Dad doesn’t live too far and has been into X-plane lately so I’ll let him borrow it at times.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Broke down and got the PMDG 737 and I'm honestly impressed. They put a lot of work in this and it's really fun to fly, just the right mix of stuff to do and automation. Using the FMC is really fun and there's tons of stuff in there to make settign up your flight easier. Was particularly impressed with the VNAV, it works really well and even lets you set up winds at different altitudes along the route to optimise the path. It's also a plane where you absolutely need to take the time to set up the FMC properly, from weights to flight plan, or you're gonna get stung at some point.

The one thing I don't really like is that the airplane options are all in the FMC too, the stuff that everyone else puts on a more user friendly EFB tablet type thing. It's a bit of a chore to change ground options and such, lotta clicking involved. But they're adding an EFB down the line, apparently they couldn't get it done in time so the compromise was doing it like this. The actual options are insanely impressive though, you can change a ridiculous amount of things on the plane itself. And not just little things, we're talking switching out entire panels, adding overhead windows, and changing the landing lights configuration, etc. You can even customise colors of displays and lights! It's seriously neat how much you can customise the plane!

Also little details like, if you fly a regular airliner configuration, you can get a passenger bus to drive up but, if you fly the business jet version, a bunch of black SUVs show up to drop off the passengers. I thought that was really a clever touch. There's a whole range of ground crew options though I'm not sure how much it actually affects the plane itself. And that's where it kinda got confusing for me, I'm still not entirely sure where the actual weights are set, for instance. With that I mean that if I set the weight in the "payload" do I then still need to load it all with the groundcrew? Because there's also a button that lets you set passengers and weights there. Also I haven't figured out how to make that sync with my Simbrief flightplan, outside of manually typing it in. Not sure that's even possible, even though you can import the Simbrief stuff in the INIT page...but then I'm not sure if that's just informative or if it actually changes the weights on the plane. In VR this manual input can also get cumbersome because you have to switch back and forth between Simbrief in the browser and the plane, again the upcoming EFB would probably fix that by adding an OFP, I'm sure.

Speaking of Simbrief, it uses that as a source for flightplans but unlike, for example, the FBW A320, it doesn't automatically sync with your account. You have to download the flightplan and weather data to a very obscure folder to access it in the plane. That feels a bit wonky, especially since so many others just let you type in your Simbrief ID and sync up. You can't do a flightplan through the world map either.

All in all I really love this plane, it feels alive when you fly it. A little tricky to control on the ground, the steering is hyper sensitive even on low sensitivity, but once you're in the air it's so much fun! I did realise I kept screwing up my take off config (sounding an alarm) because I was so used to arming the spoilers before takeoff on the 320, you actually don't do that on the Boeing so that was driving me nuts for a while! Speaking of the spoiler, i noticed a lot of complaints about it moving to slow when you use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust it but I found you can actually click on any point in its range and it'll extend to that. Super easy and will save you a lot of frustration.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I have the FSX PMDG 737 NGX, which I'm ashamed to say I never used for the past 10 years until recently when the hype for the FS2020 one started. So I don't know how dissimilar it may be. I'm going to hold out for the -800 or maybe break down and get the -700 if I can get all my old hardware working with 2020.

I've just barely used Simbrief for the first time, as well as this FMC flight planning stuff, but does the 2020 version have an import option like the FSX one does on the FMC RTE section? I make the plan, save it, then hit export with the app to the folders I've selected. Here's the option I see for the FSX stuff.

Also, way back when I grabbed these from someone retiring when I also bought the FSX PMDG NGX, but they've just been collecting dust til now. The data matches FSX stuff from around 2008 or so, so it's worked OK for that so far and the Jeppesen charts are for most of North America. I do plan on switching to FS2020 soon but would have to spend more on utilities to get my hardware working easily.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Supposedly there will be an update in the summer with an EFB and hopefully better simbrief integration. I've heard conflicting reports about whether I should hold my breath or not on that promise.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

AzureSkys posted:

I've just barely used Simbrief for the first time, as well as this FMC flight planning stuff, but does the 2020 version have an import option like the FSX one does on the FMC RTE section? I make the plan, save it, then hit export with the app to the folders I've selected. Here's the option I see for the FSX stuff.

The FS2020 version has the same option to import plans from that you've downloaded into the correct folder.

But like others mentioned, it feels pretty clunky to have to do it this way in FS2020, since there's a bunch of other planes that support linking your simbrief account and automatically pulling everything directly from their API (so you don't have to do the export/download-into-specific-folder step)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm glad there are more detailed aircraft coming out but where are my long range planes?

We've had nothing but the A320 mod and CRJ for so long that I'm sick of short range flights.

Yeah the 787 and 747 mods fix some things but they're still pretty limited.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That would require a simulator that doesn't crash every 90 minutes on average

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
And with stable time compression.

As it stands I still have to deal with pitch oscillation at higher time compressions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Has there been any updates in the past 3 months that have improved VR performance?

Normally i'd just install it and find out for myself, but this game is big and I got a data cap on my home internet.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Zero One posted:

I'm glad there are more detailed aircraft coming out but where are my long range planes?

We've had nothing but the A320 mod and CRJ for so long that I'm sick of short range flights.

Yeah the 787 and 747 mods fix some things but they're still pretty limited.

I know FBW is working on an A380, which I'm terribly excited about because I'm kinda done with devs just remaking the same planes over and over for every sim. There was talk of an A350 but I think those devs seemingly stopped existing. After the amazing work FBW did on the stock A320, however, I have good hope about their A380, which is a plane I've always wanted in a sim, but who knows when that'll come out. Could be a long time. I'm sure there's others too that we don't know about.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

There’s an MD11 from TFDI that’s decently along but also not really close. I’m sure we will eventually see the PMDG 777 but who knows how long that will take.

Honestly feels like our only hope of seeing something soon is that the fbw a380 is way further along than we think

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think PMDG has said their 747-400 will eventually come to MSFS, but that's probably a couple years off, and JustFlight has a 747-100/200 in the works for P3d, which may end up in MSFS too, but it's also going to be at least a year off.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AzureSkys posted:

Also, way back when I grabbed these from someone retiring when I also bought the FSX PMDG NGX, but they've just been collecting dust til now. The data matches FSX stuff from around 2008 or so, so it's worked OK for that so far and the Jeppesen charts are for most of North America. I do plan on switching to FS2020 soon but would have to spend more on utilities to get my hardware working easily.

It's comforting - and logical in hindsight - that they managed to squeeze everything to know about the 737 in a neat little package.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Got the TB Yoke yesterday. Like a good little newbie I dutifully spent two hours configuring it through this video and its successor for XBox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd1fePPlVf8

First impression: Holy gently caress is this way too sensitive on the pitch axis. Reviews say push/pull is prone to stickiness for a while until it gets worn in, but by default pretty much all its movement is in that bit of stickiness. I had to tone down the sensitivity to, like, -75% to get a curve that suits my little 152.

Once that got sorted, the trim wheel works much better with this than a controller. I was able to go back and crush that training exercise, so I'm happy there.

I turned off all the assists and did a few hours of practicing straight-and-level. Still got a way to go before I think I'll really get the feel of the play between throttle, speed and pitch but I'll get used to it. I get annoyed at how easy it is to yaw off course unless I'm constantly steering -- I get focused on zeroing my trim and five seconds later I've drifted like 5 degrees off course.

I made a couple landings and did not die :) I'm having fun.

In conclusion,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFL5OP6qfU&t=4246s

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My first time landing a 178, have the beta G1000 installed and, er, this isn't supposed to happen right?

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1526003821750628353?s=21&t=KGjXkeE5whKEDmCJOgGyow

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Have they further updated VR performance in MSFS? I gave MSFS VR a try yesterday and holy crap it's amazing. I remember in previous patches it was kind of a slog performance wise, but I had zero issues last night. Completed flights in the Just Flight Turbo Arrow and the Milviz C310 and both were smooth with no lag or jutters.

Edit: Ryzen 5900X, 6800XT, 32 GB of RAM, Valve Index. Using suggested VR settings with LOD/TOD set to 150.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 16, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Within the lore universe of our 1990's Arab-Israeli War, the Israeli Logistics Officer at Ramat David (and local bookie) BurntCornMuffin will organize a PvP DCS tournament, with 2-person teams facing off against other teams within the equipment limitations of the era, and the plane sets in the game world. Sign up, even if you are somewhat fresh. This is all in good fun and you can cut your teeth in air combat against humans.

That tourney has its pvp-channel in our Discord here: https://discord.gg/hBfwPtEd
Signup sheet can be found there, too.

Requirements include the DCS Syria map, and one of the available planes.

Current ruleset, subject to change:

quote:

The Format
Aircraft and Weapons
Aircraft available for use are the A-4E, F-14A, F-15, F-16, F/A-18, M2K, MiG-21, MiG-29S
Weapons available for use are 1990’s contemporary weapons, excluding all variants of the AIM-54, and Extended Range variants of the R-27. Additionally, F-14s shall not turn on their jammers, and aircraft with the ability to equip HMDs shall not request one from their ground crews.

Legal weapons are restricted in the mission file: if it’s not allowed, it’s disabled.

Teams are not obligated to use the same aircraft throughout the tournament: you are allowed to change things up as desired.
Tournament
Participants will be asked to form teams able to crew a minimum of two aircraft, with the option to add ABM and RIO members to the team as desired (A team of two F-14s and an ABM forms the maximum human count for a team at 5). The team will then participate in a series of matches against other teams following a double elimination format.

A single match will consist of three sorties in which two teams of two aircraft take off, fight to the death within a given AOO and land. Once takeoff clearance is given by the master of ceremonies, teams will fly to the AOO. Weapons may only be discharged by aircraft that are inside the AOO, and once inside the AOO, and aircraft may not depart until the opposition is dead or otherwise unable to fight. A victor for the sortie is declared when: a given team holds the AOO for 5 minutes, or the opposing team is dead or otherwise unable to fight. The winner of a given match is determined by the best of 3 sorties.

The overall tournament will follow a double elimination format, guaranteeing that each team has a minimum of two matches.

ABMs
While the ideal is for each team to have their own ABM, this is logistically difficult to achieve. To that end, anyone who wishes to make themselves available as floating ABMs at the request of teams is allowed to do so.

Scheduling
Individuals have until May 31st to sign up. Individuals have until June 3rd to arrange themselves into teams. It is requested that more experienced goons take a less experienced goon as a wingman.
We expect to begin the first matches on June 4th, with matches nominally taking place on weekends. Match times are negotiable, and I will do my best to arrange the bracket so that teams in the initial brackets are in matching timezones to minimize scheduling problems.

Streaming and Tacviews
Matches will be shown within the Airgoons discord. Team members in the match may not watch their stream. Teams may record or stream their own flights.

Tacviews will be made available post-match.

Prizes
The only prize is bragging rights. We’re just here for happy pvp fun-times.

And this is the lore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoGRRN9VsU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tayter Swift posted:

My first time landing a 178, have the beta G1000 installed and, er, this isn't supposed to happen right?

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1526003821750628353?s=21&t=KGjXkeE5whKEDmCJOgGyow

Is that a challenge flight or training flight or anything? Because no, during a normal flight the avionics should not be shutting off on short final. :v:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It was definitely a bug with the Working Title version. Before that it blanked out just after starting the flight, and I uninstalled/reinstalled it to get it working. Flew fine for about half an hour then ~poof~.

Then last night I took a 90 minute flight without issue. Who the heck knows.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I started having the CTD issues again, specifically right after the game checks for updates but before the loading bar appears.

Turns out it was a Steam save data corruption. I followed the steps listed here which fixed my issue. Note it also completely wiped out my profile so I lost all my settings, controller binds, pilot log etc.

Edit: After setting up a new profile and then relaunching, Steam prompted me about my save being out of sync. It gave me the option to redownload the previous save which I did and it loaded successfully, so everything I mentioned losing previously is back.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 17, 2022

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just tried out Spacedesk on an old tablet and it works with the FSX PMDG 737 FMC to touch and everything! Basically wherever you touch becomes your mouse cursor, which is a little awkward to get the mouse back to my main monitor.
I haven't gotten the FS2020 one yet, but I'm assuming it'll work similarly if you can pop out the window and drag it to another screen. Now I need to try to see if any DUs will work or if they'll have any delay.
video clip:
https://imgur.com/0JWMbUv

https://www.spacedesk.net/

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The Fenix A320 is out

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Some of the vids I saw make it look pretty drat amazing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Any idea apart from a bug why the autopilot would just decide to disengage itself like this? It's happened a couple times with the xCub before on previous flights and this time I figured I'd just watch and see what it does.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1527808123733348352?s=21&t=o8LsniRME6SIzK_UQJkWNw

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IIRC the autopilot and GPS are failed in the simulator during bush trips.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Any idea apart from a bug why the autopilot would just decide to disengage itself like this? It's happened a couple times with the xCub before on previous flights and this time I figured I'd just watch and see what it does.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1527808123733348352?s=21&t=o8LsniRME6SIzK_UQJkWNw

I think I solved this by adding in a small amount of deadzone to my xbox controller's sticks. YMMV.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
On the leg I was just on I was about 15 minutes out on a 60-minute flight when not only did it poo poo itself, the plane itself went way out of balance, turning to the left. I had to hold the yoke about 45 degrees clockwise the rest of the trip, including landing.

Nailed it though, hell yeah.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In case someone's missed the train or something.

The picture is a real screencap from last saturday's mission.

https://i.imgur.com/mXYfiI2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ObP8LRe.mp4
Coming Saturday's campaign mission is in-lore 16th June 1990, and IRL time is 28 May 2022.
This campaign Let's Play thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993395

This is the last organized Air Goons big scale campaign mission in our Sixth Arab-Israeli War universe. After this one, our summer break begins.

Sign the hell up to fly some helicopters. Lots of copilot slots open.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tayter Swift posted:

On the leg I was just on I was about 15 minutes out on a 60-minute flight when not only did it poo poo itself, the plane itself went way out of balance, turning to the left. I had to hold the yoke about 45 degrees clockwise the rest of the trip, including landing.

Nailed it though, hell yeah.
Sounds like you're in a plane without balanced fuel tanks. Some of the light planes don't have a common pull from each wing tank so you're meant to switch the source tank every 10-20 minutes or when you start turning hands off.

Sometimes they do have a common pull and I think the in assisted takeoff defaults sets it to one wing only which is the other thing to check :stare:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I had the second hat left/right set to both the heading bug and aileron trim :negative:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Highway to the Danger Zone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkczb0LIgI

https://www.flightsimulator.com/become-a-top-gun-pilot-in-free-expansion-available-today/

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

What, no F-14?! :smith:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
No F-14 but we do get a goddamn Blackbird. I was just thinking about that plane the other day.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
mach 10 scramjet you say?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

They added some new F-14A skins to DCS. The Screaming Eagles livery from the original Top Gun, and the rogue state livery of the new one

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 26, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"hello microsoft sir can i have correctly simulated basic aerodynamics like side slips or a plane that goes into a spin if i mess up my approach"
"are you ready for da fucken RENO AIR RACES???"
"ok um that's cool i guess can i get some even remotely accurate turboprop simulation or maybe if i may be so bold the ability to fly RNAV procedures, it has been almost two years since release now"
"no but here you can have a completely made up science fiction airplane that does 10 million miles per hour because we want to be ace combat except without guns now for some reason"

Not going to lie though I guess the F16 is pretty cool. And to be fair the G1000 NXi does seem to provide a complete suite of working modern avionics including full RNAV for the planes that use it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what plane are you flying that will go into a spin if you mess up an approach?

What’s missing for your ability to fly rnav?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sellouts posted:

what plane are you flying that will go into a spin if you mess up an approach?

Cirruses, for one; that's one of the reason they had a fairly poo poo safety record until Cirrus stepped up their training programs. Now, if you're talking about an instrument approach, yeah, not too much chance of a stall/spin, but VFR in the pattern, lots of people were getting slow particularly around base-to-final, and that fucker will spin.

quote:

What’s missing for your ability to fly rnav?

The NXi add-on solves a lot of the problems, but honestly it was a loving shitshow before that was available. Direct-to wasn't working, so you basically had to have the approach selected and confirmed before the flight even started. Vertical guidance on LPV approaches was... terrible, the LPV mode wouldn't even display, missed approaches wouldn't sequence (I haven't checked in a while to see if that's fixed), it was just a completely garbage implementation of a GPS that made it essentially unusable for practicing normal IFR flight.