Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hate being that person but like, just the shirt for the kid at gucci will cost more than that full set. This woman is wasteful as gently caress with money but on the grand continuum shes still not even close to crypto dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

give me your husband's money!!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hughlander posted:

Proposed time line.

Feb: Let's get an apartment together!
March: I'm going to need you to move out in August. Oh and you're not on the lease so 'lol'

Expectation is probably not to move twice in less than a year after getting an apartment with a 'friend'

I mean, that would be a terrible timeline but I don't see how it's compatible with what the post says:

Hughlander posted:

AITA for moving out suddenly and financially screwing my roommate/best friend?

Years later, this past summer, we moved in together. I was hesitant initially but she did all the work finding a place and paying deposits. It was awesome living with my BFF and we had a great time, until last month.

Specifically, in the comments she clarifies that they moved in in August. Last month, when her ex-roommate dropped the five-month notice, was April, putting the move-out deadline in September. That's very different from February to March, and has her moving out after more than a year of living together, not after six months.

Their lease (well, roommate's lease) is up in August anyhow, which is actually before the five-month deadline.

(Roommate still sucks because intentionally leaving OP off the lease shows she premeditated the whole thing and is therefore awful.)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mx. posted:

AITA for ignoring an autistic guy on my flight?

And this is why airline captains should have the authority to kick passengers off the plane mid-air.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

It’s always an rear end in a top hat move to kick somebody out of their current home

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

No indications that sister is actually in that bad of shape- she got help to keep her house, she just doesn't have the money they lost. If she was on the brink of homelessness and OP was dropping crazy money on baby onesies that'd be different, but sister already got that help.

Also I'm starting to think I may have sympathy for people who got sucked into crypto. I saw an ad for cryptocurrency in a movie theater that had Matt Damon pimping them with swelling music saying you had to be extra brave and bold to get the big rewards like you get with crypto. They seem to have expanded beyond credulous libertarians and are now targeting random people who don't know better.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset over a name?

I mean yeah, it is only a name, but after telling everyone and painting it on a wall, embroidering it on clothes etc.... the loving balls on the brother!

Now OP has the opportunity to name her child Chrollo Lucifer, or Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, which is the romanization according to the official databook.

Anyways, she should get her brother and SIL to watch the show and see why naming a kid after a hosed up character like Illumi is not the best thing to do (then again half of the characters in that show are hosed up)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

It’s always an rear end in a top hat move to kick somebody out of their current home

nah, a lot of times it is a "hit da bricks" thing to do. You have a room-mate that invites weirds around, gets into fights with your partner or keeps saying annoying poo poo or never pays their share, is now an ex? - hit da bricks (in this case they are the ones to be hittin' da bricks), make the separation, sever, let it go and get rid of the drama.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Also I'm starting to think I may have sympathy for people who got sucked into crypto.

they don't deserve any sympathy OP, they really don't

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

We feel sorry for people who get suckered into other scams, why not crypto?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crypto people have a tendency to display very unsympathetic traits with uncommon gusto.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Lobe posted:

Frankly I think she'd be justified in pressing charges

Whole tour group of witnesses to attempted murder.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Who gives a gently caress what she spends it on, it's their money. They built up careers to have discretionary income and didn't blow it all on crypto, the reward for which is an obnoxiously expensive baby shirt or whatever.

Sister already got a bailout for betting their savings (not extra income!!!) on crypto. Now she wants everybody else to live at her level because she's embarrassed about her lack of money sense? gently caress off.

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DemoneeHo posted:

Now OP has the opportunity to name her child Chrollo Lucifer, or Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, which is the romanization according to the official databook.

Anyways, she should get her brother and SIL to watch the show and see why naming a kid after a hosed up character like Illumi is not the best thing to do (then again half of the characters in that show are hosed up)

Yeah this is the answer. Tell them the name is from an anime. Tell everyone the name is from an anime. They just took a bullet for you

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tarkus posted:

We feel sorry for people who get suckered into other scams, why not crypto?

gimme some examples cause i'm coming up blank

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

Yeah this is the answer. Tell them the name is from an anime. Tell everyone the name is from an anime. They just took a bullet for you

That's what I was thinking, prospective parents have got to start seeding terrible fake "dream names" for their kids just in case their lovely relatives jump in and grab it first.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

How about Amway people? I know I feel kinda bad for them.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

a lot of romance scams, (Nigerians catfishing as US soldiers to convince filipinos/Indos/Britons to take out loans to help out their move to the US)

The scam of using stolen identity of a young traveler to ring gran and any other family members about how they desperately need a lot of money sent overseas to them

Having a house sold from under you because they were able to convince lawyers and the like (who have power of attorney) that you indeed wanted to sell a house

Faulty insulation installs

The timeshare holiday homes with terms that have no sensible exit clauses (ie, you will be paying say $2k a month for the rest of your life, even if you physically can't use the home)

Old people being browbeaten to open and remote desktop their PC because of a virus (but are actually looking for idenity theft details, bank account details etc to clean out the life savings and retirement).

The list goes on, scamming is very easy to fall pray to, some is funny (yes, I donated 10 euro to the deaf school in Charles De Gaulle the first time I landed there a decade ago), some is more ruinous.

Crypto is a funny one because it was a bit like MLM (for me a scam, burn up your family and support network for the promise of reliable income) in that the advocators become insufferable. I still feel for the people that come to realise they done gone hosed up but still feel a bit of vindication of being a sensible person that just says "no, I am a rude bastard that wont turn up to buy tupperware or whatever, not even one bowl (and tupperware was at least good stuff)"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Many of those scams involve attackers targeting victims. Those can definitely garner sympathy.

Crypto is fully voluntary, the victims sign over their money voluntarily (and often with a sense of righteousness and superiority). I don't have much room for sympathy for the folks who spend thousands on lottery tickets that don't pay out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In all fairness, people that are in their sixties now were in their twenties in the 1980s. It's not like those were a gentleman wears a hat to the cinema days.

Those people were brought up by the people who wore hats to the cinema, though. I'm in my mid 40s and definitely wasn't raised to swear; if I do so, it means I'm legitimately angry about something as a rule.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The list goes on, scamming is very easy to fall pray to

it's really not :shrug:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

An awful lot of crypto scam victims are wannabe scammers themselves. That's the whole business model of it, you only make money if a bigger idiot comes along and buys in for more than you did.

It's a get rich quick scheme that's inherently about screwing over other people and it's hard to have sympathy for people who end up being the conned instead of the conman.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Crypto is mainstream now. Sad but true.

People are gonna get suckered in just like a ponzi scheme, dodgy penny stocks or other "Amazing returns! Looks too good to be true! get in now!" financial scam. Hell, I'm sure 90% of crypto-gamblers don't even know about the horrifying environmental impact, it's just "hot new trend I don't understand that has made a ton of people a ton of money!!" just like the other million hot new financial trends that they didn't understand and that (in their mind) made a ton of people a ton of money.

Full on crypto-bros are genuine assholes, sure, but a lot of people who lose money now are just plain old fashioned suckers and really not different from people scammed by the Wolf of Wallstreet guy decades ago. Wise or moneysmart? no. Evil or undeserving of sympathy? mostly not.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Help! My Sister Is Furious That We’re Allowing Dogs—but Not Kids!—at Our Wedding.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

My partner and I are planning our wedding for later this year. We have planned on a childfree wedding from the start. My sister has three kids (9, 7, and 5) and has always been fine with this, even saying that she was looking forward to a night out without the kids.

During COVID, one of our only social outlets was our neighborhood dog park, and we became close with the people there. We had the idea of having a dog-friendly wedding and ran with it. We found a pavilion we could rent at a park where dogs were welcome and are really excited about the idea of a laid-back wedding with all of our favorite dogs and their people.

Now my sister is angry. She says that she assumed a childfree wedding meant drinks and late-night dancing, not hot dogs and a playground within view. She feels like we have “ranked” our friends’ dogs higher than her children on our priorities list, and pointed out that (since it’s a public park) there will be kids around no matter what. I promised her we’d think about it. I see her points, but I was really looking forward to my adults-only wedding, and am a little nervous about the mix of dogs and kids. Should I let the kids come, or stand my ground?

— Wedding Planning Is Ruff

quote:

Dear Wedding Planning Is Ruff

I can see your sister’s point—when we have child-free weddings we’re usually either doing it for cost-cutting reasons or for wild-and-crazy reasons (or both), and the appeal of a fun, grown-up’s night out might be different from being playground-adjacent. But it’s your wedding, and her expectation doesn’t need to be your reality. Dogs require a little less oversight than kids, even at a park, and mixing dogs you don’t know with kids under 10 could add stress to your day. So, stand your ground on this one. It’s your wedding. A compromise might be explaining to your sister that you’re nervous about mixing dogs and kids and telling her that she can bring her kids if she wants but that you worry it will become a playground day for her rather than a day to relax and enjoy some time with other adults (and a lot of dogs!). Those kids are definitely going to want to go to the nearby jungle gym, no matter who is exchanging vows.

Dog wedding sounds cute, but is OP prepared to step in dogshit in their wedding shoes?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

it's really not :shrug:

I'm sure there are plenty of Britons that ate horse meat when they ordered beef that have the same smug confidence in their ability to just know when a counterfeit part has been installed in their car by the OEM registered dealer :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm sure there are plenty of Britons that ate horse meat when they ordered beef that have the same smug confidence in their ability to just know when a counterfeit part has been installed in their car by the OEM registered dealer :shrug:

yes, these things are the same as buying into an MLM or thinking you won the Nigerian lottery or something. yup, no false equivalency here. :allears:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No-one deserves sympathy, it's a gift I give you on my own volition.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Dog wedding in the local park sounds horrible.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Boba Pearl posted:

No-one deserves sympathy, it's a gift I give you on my own volition.

People freely give or withhold things other people deserve all the time, mate.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

yes, these things are the same as buying into an MLM or thinking you won the Nigerian lottery or something. yup, no false equivalency here. :allears:

A scam is a scam. Did you want to redefine the word in your previous post to something like "its really easy for me to avoid scams I'm smart enough to recognize :shrug:"?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

You asked to list scams that will garner sympathy, being sold misrepresented products (whether financial instruments, counterfeit parts or meat for consumption) was amongst a more broad list that I provided (romance scams, identity theft, etc) that people often feel for someone getting their retirement ruined or are scammed into eating food out of their cultural norms. There is a full range of scams that garner sympathy, crypto/MLM less so because they often become insufferable (germane, the business model of these scams often have a deliberate angle of making/encouraging the scammed to self isolate from their support group through deliberate and inadvertent actions).

It is just as easy for you to check the serial number of every part installed into your car with the OEM (The bigger OEMs have mechanisms for checking authenticity) as it is for MLM old mate to get a second opinion they trust.

Speaking of scams with cars, it is very common for ladies (not exclusively, scammers preferably target the subject matter naïve) to be convinced to change parts in their car by brow beating mechanics. The lady gets a new part or set of tyres she did not really need, and the mechanic gets more business and the otherwise perfectly resalable second hand parts/tyres. All perfectly legal - as good scams often are. Do feel a similar disdain for those young ladies / old dears or feel for them (even though really they should be more street smart / mechanically knowledgeable).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Depends by what you mean by chuck, it's a dick move either way but maybe he just done the most common grab firmly around the shoulders and physically moved her a few inches (and she not even take a step) even as she was 20 feet away from the guarding/barriers to the other end of pushing her over the guard to where she could see over the edge.

The old grab someone around the shoulder as if you were going to push them in the water / large tank of toxic chemicals / high place is done so often as to be be a thoroughly inane sort of action and generally does not result in such an extreme reaction.

If it was the mild end, old mate has discovered when someone says they have a phobia, you have to respect that and let sleeping dogs lie lest you lose your relationship but you win some lose some. If it was on the other end and if she didn't resist at all, she woulda went over - then dickhead deserves it as you say.

Isn't this you? From like last page? You're an rear end in a top hat.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Crypto people don't deserve any sympathy ever, they're all terrible and stupid. The underlying ideology behind the entire enterprise is toxic from step 1, you can't compare it to someone being taken advantage of by a mechanic to repair the car they need to survive in the car culture nightmare world that we live in.

Even if you don't understand how it works it's being sold to people based on some really terrible and stupid fundamental assumptions about how the world works. I don't feel particularily bad for anyone who buys into that kind of poo poo any more than I would feel bad for the people who buy into ponzi schemes knowing full well how it works and end up getting screwed because they thought they'd be one of the ones who makes a profit on it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tired gay and dead posted:

Crypto people don't deserve any sympathy ever, they're all terrible and stupid. The underlying ideology behind the entire enterprise is toxic from step 1, you can't compare it to someone being taken advantage of by a mechanic to repair the car they need to survive in the car culture nightmare world that we live in.

Even if you don't understand how it works it's being sold to people based on some really terrible and stupid fundamental assumptions about how the world works. I don't feel particularily bad for anyone who buys into that kind of poo poo any more than I would feel bad for the people who buy into ponzi schemes knowing full well how it works and end up getting screwed because they thought they'd be one of the ones who makes a profit on it.

I have had someone say "well, I know pyramid schemes are a scam, but I hear you can still come out ahead if you join early".

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have had someone say "well, I know pyramid schemes are a scam, but I hear you can still come out ahead if you join early".

They're not wrong, it just a form of gambling that involves screwing over other people in a more direct way than like investing in the stock market. The first few adopters of a ponzi scheme come out ahead pretty easily, you just have to get out before it collapses. If you time it wrong then you lose out.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I agree with EW's scam post aside from the creepy use of "ladies" instead of "women".

Like with any other scam, crypto scammers target vulnerable people who trust them. It's not just dumbfuck smug tech bros falling for it. I'm glad when crypto scammers lose money, but I feel bad for their wives/kids/friends/elders who lose everything because they trusted their loved one to have their best interest at heart. "Trust no one" is excellent advice but most people don't live that way.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

there was some bitcoin forums that had an entire forum dedicated to "honest ponzis" lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
AITA for going off on my soon-to be Husband for returning my wedding dress?

quote:

Me (f29) and my STBH (m33) are getting married soon. Wedding planning has so far been going alright except for few things he and I argued about like the venue and flower girl. Now we've been arguing about my wedding dress, This might sound clichè but eversince I was young I dreamed of having my own beautiful wedding dress, I can afford it but my STBH thinks it's not okay to waste a couple of thousands on a dress I'm only going to wear once -- yes he might have a point there but for one, this is typical price for wedding dresses. and two, because it's a once in a life time thing then why not make sure it's special?

STBH still wasn't convinced, and suggested I rent a dress instead of buying one. He started saying that I'm being irrisponsible with money and brought up how much money I've already put aside to "rent a face" (he means makeup) and wear "fake" hair (he means extension) but I have this vision of what I want to...look like, sort of speak, on my wedding and I think that it's my right as a bride. I went ahead and purchased the dress but a day later I found out that it was missing from my closet. I freaked out but he told me he returned it and got the money back. I was shocked I asked him why he did that and he said he thought the dress was ridiculously expensive and that was wasting money and AGAIN suggested I go rent one.

I blew up and went off on him which I've never done before. He literally took few steps back and told me to calm down. I said he had no right, I'm the one paying for the drat dress. He got upset and said that there's no "I'm paying for it myself" in marriage and that my attitude is setting the tone for what type of dynamic we'll have in our marriage, he kept on about how I must expect to him to pay for everything while I keep "my money" or spend it irresponsibly (but I never tell him how to spend his money) I responded that he gets zero say in how I spend my money whatsoever. he told me that I should grow the f up and stop with the "dream wedding dress" clichè then stormed off to call his mom who chewed me out saying she won't let me ruin her son's financial stability with how I deal with money generally. She too urged me to rent a dress or buy cheaper one, way cheaper than the one I picked and move on but I declined.

ETA for repeated questions: Yes, he still has the money and said he'll give it back once we agree to a solution.

Wow, thats gonna be a healthy marriage for sure

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
At this point I'm just happy to see the ones where the woman still has a chance to kick the piece of poo poo out of her life forever because there's no kids involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Did they like, just meet? None of their values align at all