Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1529941765679202349

Another player the Yankees can't keep healthy but he sucks so it won't matter that much.

This is probably addition by subtraction. Hicks has been terrible in the field as well. I swear he lets balls that used to be catchable drop in front of him. His arm isn’t even good anymore after getting TJS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Redeye Flight posted:

N: The Chicago Cubs

V: What the gently caress
Lmao, I saw the Reds post on Instagram and screamed "WHAT THE gently caress" out loud.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao that the bloodiest battle in all of baseball right now is between the Pirates, Reds, and Cubs for who can pick up third place in the NL Central. There can only be one king of this pile of rebuilding poo poo.

I would like to know why Votto suddenly decided this was the series he was going to be a weird belligerent rear end in a top hat and scream at the Cubs dugout over literally nothing in back to back games.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Votto has pretty openly loathed the Cubs for his entire career; it's not that surprising or random of him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I swear he can't catch a break. It feels like he's spent half of his career on the injured list.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to the Cubs 5 of those runs were on Andrelton Simmons 45 MPH lob balls.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1529955869428965379
Scrolling down the comments because I love getting mad at assholes for some reason.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Abner Assington posted:

Scrolling down the comments because I love getting mad at assholes for some reason.

WhY cAnT yOu StICk ToO sPoRtz

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Abner Assington posted:

This is so tepid too lol. Nothing controversial at all.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This is so tepid too lol. Nothing controversial at all.

I initially took it as them doing this instead of broadcasting the game but they are just tweeting. Better than nothing, I guess.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Ohhhhhhhh Johnny!

https://twitter.com/jacko2323/status/1529963963563270151?s=21&t=m6J24JKU2VwZQ-IlwySqug

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

davecrazy posted:

WhY cAnT yOu StICk ToO sPoRtz

Does anyone need to be lectured about issues by loving Michael Kay, lets be real

Maybe if it was on something like the perfect chicken parm, but anything else god no

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Sydin posted:

lmao that the bloodiest battle in all of baseball right now is between the Pirates, Reds, and Cubs for who can pick up third place in the NL Central. There can only be one king of this pile of rebuilding poo poo.

I would like to know why Votto suddenly decided this was the series he was going to be a weird belligerent rear end in a top hat and scream at the Cubs dugout over literally nothing in back to back games.

The Pirates horrify me every time I look at the standings. I see that run differential and my mind conjures up images of a Jenga tower rocking back and forth.

Though on the other hand, the Pirates were also responsible for the 1960 World Series, so maybe this is precedented.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

At most one of those teams is rebuilding

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

Rays are just training in 2x gravity environment. Just wait until Bezos buys the franchise in 2029 and ships it to Charlotte with a $300m payroll.

You don't even have to wait to see what the Rays would look like a decent payroll. Just follow the Dodgers or the Giants.

The Rays' online presence is nice because the average fan is some old lady posting that Phillips seems like a swell young boy, to nobody in particular. Meanwhile mcmagic is above average for a Yankees fan.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Redeye Flight posted:

N: The Chicago Cubs

V: What the gently caress

In honor of Ray Liotta: "The way I saw it, everybody takes a beating sometime."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

He was probably upset that he didn't get a hit despite his team scoring 20 runs.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 27, 2022

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sounds like 21 people are dead in Texas and there's a deep drive to left by Nick Castellanos and it's a 4-0 ballgame.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He was probably upset that he didn't get a hit despite his team scoring 20 runs.

He got plenty of hits yesterday and still pissed and moaned at Wick and the Cubs dugout to the point that it almost made the benches clear because... Wick was mad about walking him, I think? It was supremely dumb and ended up getting two of our batters plunked, it sucks.

more falafel please posted:

At most one of those teams is rebuilding

The Cubs are rebuilding even if Jed refuses to admit it, the Pirates are rebuilding intentionally or not because Nutting's insane cheapness keeps tanking their record and getting them great picks, and the Reds just tore it down to the studs so there's nothing left to do but rebuild.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This one is a scream:

https://twitter.com/os_mote/status/1529971090490941442?s=21

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

The Cubs are rebuilding even if Jed refuses to admit it, the Pirates are rebuilding intentionally or not because Nutting's insane cheapness keeps tanking their record and getting them great picks, and the Reds just tore it down to the studs so there's nothing left to do but rebuild.

Oh, yeah, they're all torn down, but the Cubs are the only team that might be trying to rebuild. The Pirates and Reds are just like this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

The only way the deal will work out for Franco is if he ends up being like the 700 OPS player he is right now. If he's any amount better than that substantially he's going to regret that contract very soon.

https://twitter.com/JamesSmyth621/status/1529921366908096523

This tweet is pretty loving bleak man...........

I get your point, but I'm pretty sure a .700 ops is actually kinda good for 2022 baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't believe it's possible to give up 20 runs to the 2022 Reds

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I get your point, but I'm pretty sure a .700 ops is actually kinda good for 2022 baseball

That isn't what he was sold as and I'm sure that isn't what the Rays are expecting him to be.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1530007847194460165

:ironicat:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That isn't what he was sold as and I'm sure that isn't what the Rays are expecting him to be.

He's on pace for 4 WAR at 21 lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more falafel please posted:

Oh, yeah, they're all torn down, but the Cubs are the only team that might be trying to rebuild. The Pirates and Reds are just like this.
the verb for what the Reds and Pirates are doing is "Nutting"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He's on pace for 4 WAR at 21 lol

He's no Jeremy Pena

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Cubs and Sox both getting in on position players pitching while getting blown out on the same day. Beautiful.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm glad that the top reply is just a gif of Aroldis Chapman

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Is using position players to pitch in blowouts a fairly recent development? I feel like when I last paid close attention to baseball (20+ years ago) that sort of thing was super novel when it happened. Like, I don't remember the Mariners having Rich Amaral or Willie Bloomquist go throw "we basically forfeit" pitches (we had Bobby Ayala for that :rimshot: ), but that sort of thing gets posted in this thread all the time.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

the verb for what the Reds and Pirates are doing is "Nutting"

*Meg Rowley sigh*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It happened from time to time but you didn't get fun stuff like guys batting from the wrong side and everyone having a good laugh about it

There's a lot more embracing of the fun aspect of the game these days

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs broadcast was talking about how position players pitching has gone up a ton in recent years. Not sure what the reasoning was but maybe because of the dichotomy between teams who are intentionally tanking hard going up against juggernauts like the Dodgers?

EDIT: Fangraphs has an article here

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I think there's multiple reasons, including tanking and embracing "having fun" as has been pointed out. But I do think an obvious reason for the rise in position player pitching is the same reason there's a rise in the number of pitchers used throughout a season: pitchers throw faster than ever, with nastier stuff than ever. It has the most pronounced effect on starting pitchers, but relievers also get shuffled up and down and in and out of the IL at a breakneck pace. Throwing a position player sacrifice on the mound to try and prevent injuries to bullpen guys in games you are very unlikely to win is the right move for long-term health of a team.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/BasebaIlKing/status/1526214642565005315

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Owns

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Dodgers had a position player pitch and a relief pitcher hit tonight. I'm curious how many PAs non-Ohtani pitchers have had this year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
MLB N/V 2022: Guns saved us from becoming communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owns