Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Portia gave me motion sickness and migraines, drat it, but the sunsets in it were some of the most beautiful things I've seen in video games. I'll try the Sandrock demo and see if I can tolerate it.

e: I googled and can't find the link for the demo. Can you PM me it?

Looks like it was a limited-time demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hmm, seems to still be there if not listed.
Go here and click install on the right.

https://steamdb.info/app/1645320/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OgNar posted:

Hmm, seems to still be there if not listed.
Go here and click install on the right.

https://steamdb.info/app/1645320/

Thanks so much.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Agean90 posted:

they never actually took the demo down, just hid the page and you can find it on steam just by googling.

It's a big step up from Portia, both in terms of graphics and qol. I didn't get a good read on gameplay, cause demo, but it looks promising.

It's nice that they took in feedback and acknowledged that combat needed a lot of work to make it a little more fun. The videos I saw made it look like a nice upgrade. I'm not a huge fan of the EA model for it though. I know it's mostly my own hangups, but I always end up hanging back until it's "finished" even if it's fine as it is.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
EA was a neat feature when it started for a variety of reasons, but the only game I've ever felt I had a decent experience with after buying EA and playing a lot was Slay The Spire, and since there are more than enough games to play for me now than basically ever in history, weaning myself off EA and circling back around to those games in 3-6-10-12 months has resulted in way better experiences

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Factorio and 7 Days to Die are also games that had or have a good EA period. Their core mechanics in EA were/are polished, and much of the development work focused on adding things to the mix. It’s a fine line to walk.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I consider Oxygen not Included to be the gold standard, the base game was good at the launch of EA and each EA update was big with neat new mechanics added.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm really liking what Against the Storm is doing during its EA period.

It has multiple locations where you can contact the developers, Discord and reddit, but also a site that is specifically for making suggestions.
And every update they list all the changes that were suggested by users complete with graphic that says what percentage where inspired by the community.

It's honestly been interesting not only seeing whole new features added in, but old ones completely torn out as the developers realized that some of their earlier features don't play well with the newer ones, and that some of their initial ideas when making the game simply weren't very fun.

Just recently their was a major UI revamp, and people hated it, including me.
They wanted to make it more functional but went too far and made it look sterile and bland.
At first it looked like they were thinking of sticking too it, mentioning only UI tweeks coming up.

But then they completely remade it into something much better than any of the earlier UIs,
They then made a post saying that they were kinda of angry and hurt at the sheer backlash against the previous UI, until they all sat down together, took a look at the UI they made and the comments about it, and realized that the community was 100% correct, the new UI was bland as hell and they needed to fix it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It doesn't hurt that Against the Storm is super fun regardless. It's hit that EA point of being a game I'm happy to play regardless of if it gets improved, and the fact that they're continuing to engage with the community and make good changes just makes me like the game more. It's not one where the EA period is a fundraising effort to get to a playable game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any tools that will show me a list of EA games that have left EA since I last played them? I know EA game full releases are usually shown in the news feed in Steam but so is every other patch and piece of meaningless news for every game in my library :( I don't think I've gone back to the vast majority of EA games I've played post-launch.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t know of anything that does it automatically. I keep all my Steam EA games in a single folder and click on them occasionally to see if the latest version is 1.0 or later, which usually means it’s out of EA.

It’s worse at the Epic store, which doesn’t do any sort of notifications ever. EGS has absolutely amazed me in how it’s so bad that it makes me appreciate Steam more.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I buy them when first released because they are usually marked down a tad. If they are worth the money off the top, then I keep them otherwise I refund and follow. Honestly the same thing I do with a finished game except then I’m waiting for a sale.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Arcturas posted:

It doesn't hurt that Against the Storm is super fun regardless. It's hit that EA point of being a game I'm happy to play regardless of if it gets improved, and the fact that they're continuing to engage with the community and make good changes just makes me like the game more. It's not one where the EA period is a fundraising effort to get to a playable game.

It's surprising how engaging the game is. There's just enough variety to mix things up, so that even the fifth time you start a new colony, it still feels fresh. That said, grinding the tech tree is a tad too slow for my tastes, hoping they keep adjusting that.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Radiation Cow posted:

It's surprising how engaging the game is. There's just enough variety to mix things up, so that even the fifth time you start a new colony, it still feels fresh. That said, grinding the tech tree is a tad too slow for my tastes, hoping they keep adjusting that.
The tech tree has some weird effects since it's combined with blueprints being drawn from a random stack.

I've regretted unlocking a few buildings since they're niche and end-gamey and just "block" a slot when drawing blueprints. I hope they'll add the option to remove sone unlocks from my set.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Sharparse posted:

There’s one called Nebuchadnezzar that I think I heard them talk about on the waypoint podcast. I haven’t played it so can’t recommend myself, but seems to fit the theme?

To me Nebuchadnezzar feels like more clinical, calculated Impressions game.

Storage carts have strict, rather short transportation radiuses. All walkers walk with strict purpose to their destination, some of them on routes player decided. There is very little randomness (or life) in anything.

Gods too have very clinical effects (-x% wages, -% consumption, etc.) and random events I have seen were pretty minor affairs.

There is no warfare (yet?) and quite few basic features (wages, taxes, gods, fire, disease, crime) were added later so the campaign feels like it is missing that spark.

It is not bad game but it has its limitations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The art is beautiful but the game itself did feel like a clinical copy of the Impressions games. I've only played at release, though, not sure how much has changed since then.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Some goon posted a youtube documentary on the fall of Sumeria that blew like 2 hours of my day and now i have this inescapable desire to dig canals, plant fields and build temples.

I haven’t played an ancient city sim in decades, so looking for recommends. Preferably Mesopotamia themed, but I’m flexible if other settings have significantly better gameplay.

Can you post the link to the documentary? I love ancient history.

You'll probably love this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/461620/Predynastic_Egypt/ I recommend playing on Normal or easier. Higher difficulties turn it into a puzzle game instead of a management game because it's very difficult to retool your economy to deal with events if you haven't designed it the way the game wants for each event.

http://playnileonline.com/ is a F2P browser game. It is beatable without spending real money (I've done it twice). Unlike most F2P games, it has a definite victory condition. You may also enjoy it. It's been a few years since I played, but when I did the community was very chill and usually helpful.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

The tech tree has some weird effects since it's combined with blueprints being drawn from a random stack.

I've regretted unlocking a few buildings since they're niche and end-gamey and just "block" a slot when drawing blueprints. I hope they'll add the option to remove sone unlocks from my set.

I think a recent patch changed it so you can no longer choose to unlock buildings, instead they're unlocked by...something else. Possibly level? Instead the unlockable tree gives you minor buffs and also unlocks new embark bonus choices, so I can spend five embark points to start with small farms or something similar.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

LLSix posted:

Can you post the link to the documentary? I love ancient history.

probably this, which I haven't gotten around to watching myself yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2lJUOv0hLA

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

LLSix posted:

http://playnileonline.com/ is a F2P browser game. It is beatable without spending real money (I've done it twice). Unlike most F2P games, it has a definite victory condition. You may also enjoy it. It's been a few years since I played, but when I did the community was very chill and usually helpful.

Immortal Cities:Children of the Nile and the expansion Alexandria are available on steam and IMHO much better than the f2p browser version.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

It was indeed this. Im not much of a history buff so no idea how accurate his videos are but the guy has a great storytelling voice and cadence. Ive watched an episode a night basically and haven’t had a chance to download any games yet cause i keep getting stuck on youtube all night.

Do appreciate the recommendations from everyone though, will be trying a few of them. Maybe even beavers to since the flood/drought mechanic is kinda what im looking for in the Sumerian game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

smarxist posted:

EA was a neat feature when it started for a variety of reasons, but the only game I've ever felt I had a decent experience with after buying EA and playing a lot was Slay The Spire, and since there are more than enough games to play for me now than basically ever in history, weaning myself off EA and circling back around to those games in 3-6-10-12 months has resulted in way better experiences
Oxygen Not Included was wonderful for a lot of its EA period, and kept getting better. The team did an excellent job of keeping it running smoothly while they added interesting new features.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It was indeed this. Im not much of a history buff so no idea how accurate his videos are but the guy has a great storytelling voice and cadence. Ive watched an episode a night basically and haven’t had a chance to download any games yet cause i keep getting stuck on youtube all night.

Thank you. I'm working through the Old World tutorials right now but I'm looking forward to checking it out. The Old World tutorial's aren't bad, but it's a lot of reading so it's taking me a bit.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Just spotted that Medieval Dynasties is on sale on Steam. Also I'm noticing it's no longer in early access.

How does everyone feel about it? I remember early impressions were favorable, but some folks thought it was too full of minutia.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SporkChan posted:

Just spotted that Medieval Dynasties is on sale on Steam. Also I'm noticing it's no longer in early access.

How does everyone feel about it? I remember early impressions were favorable, but some folks thought it was too full of minutia.

FWIW it's on Gamepass as well if you've got that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Medieval Dynasty is a good tree punching survival game with a Banished coat of paint. The management is more about have enough X Y and Z at any moment and some basic agent assignment with skill sort of decisions.

The story quests are something. I might describe it as entertaining because of it's amateur-ness.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You are going to want to make a list of villages and what they sell because you won't remember otherwise and the game doesn't remind you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
medieval dynasties is ok. its a eurojank game thats like realistic minecraft crossed with some light village management, or like satisfactory without any machinery. if it sounds like your kinda thing then its worth a try, though you won't get anywhere before the refund period is up

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tedium is kinda the name of the game with that particular title but I did enjoy myself the first time I played it in EA. Clear cutting a forest and seeing your little village pop up over time is pretty neat to see. I know they added a ton since I played it in very EA but that early period of just getting established is pretty goddamn slow.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed the little bit of it that I played. I didn't even get into the village stuff, but just setting up my own poo poo was very satisfying. It scratches the itch that I wanted Rust to scratch.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Medieval Dynasty is a game that could really use MP to help with some of tedium. But I've still enjoyed the 100 or so hours I've put into it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I played Medieval Dynasty for like 6 hours in one sitting about a month ago and had a good deal of fun while watching Seinfeld. But then I literally never wanted to pick it up again if that says anything. Tedium is definitely the key, there was a ton of fetching different items to build things, and weight limits for your character and other things just made it tedious.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
It is coming out with MP sometime in the future though according to some recent news updates.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I impulse bought Medieval Dynasty thinking I could build a castle. It's not bad, but drat I was hoping for basically Medieval Engineers plus NPCs.. it's so close!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
god i really like everything about how Old World is set up, but it gets soooooo swampy in the middle, even doing the tutorials I'm still running across so many new terms and icons and currencies and poo poo, and it took me like 5 minutes to find out what an "active law" was so i could build something to get a governor in my city, because the help menu didn't explicate and I had to click around poo poo blindly to find the law page and kinda work out how i'd get one

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how is sandrock so far?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

queeb posted:

how is sandrock so far?

I, like about half the posters in the Portia thread, am waiting for it to mature a bit more. The people who are playing it seem generally positive. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879828

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Hey all, I am looking for a multiplayer co-op management game recommendation, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists. My wife and I had a great time playing some management/survival-ish games like Valheim, Don't Starve, Cryofall, and Garden Paws. The last one is I think closer to what I'm looking for - is there any multiplayer game where you're running a shop together and part of the gameplay loop is exploring/fighting baddies to gather stuff to sell or process into more stuff to sell? And maybe part of it is about building the shop or some kinda base-building, with the overall driving force being the trading/economy management part? We put a fair bit of time into Stardew Valley which ticks some of these boxes too but has less existential pressure. I am aware of V-Rising which we may give a shot sometime but I think it is a bit too focused on the combat for us.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Koobze posted:

Hey all, I am looking for a multiplayer co-op management game recommendation, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists. My wife and I had a great time playing some management/survival-ish games like Valheim, Don't Starve, Cryofall, and Garden Paws. The last one is I think closer to what I'm looking for - is there any multiplayer game where you're running a shop together and part of the gameplay loop is exploring/fighting baddies to gather stuff to sell or process into more stuff to sell? And maybe part of it is about building the shop or some kinda base-building, with the overall driving force being the trading/economy management part? We put a fair bit of time into Stardew Valley which ticks some of these boxes too but has less existential pressure. I am aware of V-Rising which we may give a shot sometime but I think it is a bit too focused on the combat for us.

I think My Time at Sandrock might have what you are looking for once the multiplayer comes out "soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Whenever i am looking into a new game i have found it useful to read the negative reviews on Steam, as they often highlight if the game is just poo poo of if it has potential but really could do with some QOL updates, or less tedium, or similar.

Reading the reviews of Medieval Dynasty on Steam it looks like the majority of the negative reviews agree with the posters in here, "game could be fun but its so full of boring busywork"