Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

That man in the white trunks looks like Sméagol.

delete this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He's called Minoru Suzuki, he was a co-founder of Japanese MMA pioneers Pancrase.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Any excuse to post the young Suzuki gif

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CommonShore posted:

delete this

Leave it; just send it to Suzu and it'll sort itself out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EdsTeioh posted:

Leave it; just send it to Suzu and it'll sort itself out.

I was trying to keep the poster safe from that very danger before someone quoted it and it was too late

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CommonShore posted:

I was trying to keep the poster safe from that very danger before someone quoted it and it was too late

He deserves it though with those kinds of comments.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SG Bamboo posted:

It’s ridiculous how good it is for being so simple.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SG Bamboo posted:

Oh poo poo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

What did finding the One Ring do to that handsome man?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i showed the post to suzuki

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i showed the post to suzuki

Well, nice knowing you, ncumbered_by_idgits.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Here's a though experiment, if Tony Khan and Gedo can't recover from hardcore fan displeasure at their current booking style who wins the Wrestling Observer best booker award for this year?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

fez_machine posted:

Here's a though experiment, if Tony Khan and Gedo can't recover from hardcore fan displeasure at their current booking style who wins the Wrestling Observer best booker award for this year?

Sanshiro Takagi, maybe?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I didn't think hardcore fans were displeased by Tony's booking style?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Whoever books STARDOM (Rossy?) most likely, maybe Pulse for DPW or Excalibur for PWG depending on buzz. I know Dave doesn't rate the DDT family particularly highly so probably not Sanshiro Takagi

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Venomous posted:

I didn't think hardcore fans were displeased by Tony's booking style?

It's bubbling under. Twitter, reddit and the AEW thread here often contain various arguments that indicate that the honeymoon period is over. The Everything Elite podcast just wrapped up because of the booking.

There's been rumblings especially over the current TNT title feud.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Excalibur doesn't book PWG and DPW even being on the ballot will probably be the first time the majority of WON readers learn about it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dave would probably push for Rossy, but the only way Tony Khan doesn't win this year is if it's going home to Gedo (or maybe Kikuchi the Official)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

People were declaring AEW dead at the end of 2019 because of the Dark Order and there have been people yelling about Tony's awful booking since day one. A lot of the people on here have been whining about something or other since day one and they're just neurotic and nearly impossible to please.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Excalibur doesn't book PWG and DPW even being on the ballot will probably be the first time the majority of WON readers learn about it.

Interesting, I was working under the incorrect assumption that Observer readers were the kind of online fans that DPW was aimed towards.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

People were declaring AEW dead at the end of 2019 because of the Dark Order and there have been people yelling about Tony's awful booking since day one. A lot of the people on here have been whining about something or other since day one and they're just neurotic and nearly impossible to please.

I've been following AEW from day dot. The discussion of the booking has never been this negative and a lot of it feels like it's coming from people who usually really like the product.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the current TNT title program represents the lowest point of Tony Khan’s booking ability so far then he’s still miles ahead of a lot of other bookers, and I say that as someone who thinks it sucks absolute poo poo and tempts me towards the fast forward button any time Sammy shows up in a setting where he’s not likely to do a sweet flip and make me forget briefly how much I’m not into his current character.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Nearly every major angle currently in the company has been affected by injury, COVID, travel issues, or Cody. The main thing I've noticed is people being overly nitpicky or just disingenuous or overreacting when someone they like doesn't win. I guess that qualifies as the honeymoon period being over, which doesn't necessarily mean something has gotten worse, just that people aren't as excited about something 3 years later and often try to rationalize it as the thing getting worse.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i generally like all elite wrestling's booking and think it's the most logical of any wrestling company in years. it almost always leads to interesting feuds and kickass matches I'm excited to see every week.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i generally like all elite wrestling's booking and think it's the most logical of any wrestling company in years. it almost always leads to interesting feuds and kickass matches I'm excited to see every week.

Worth mentioning that they don't insult their collective audience's intelligence for tuning in, as well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fez_machine posted:

So, it'll be Tony Khan. AEW may not be tickling hardcore fans but WON readers go with Dave most of the time. And Dave isn't down on AEW.

If I'm voting based on the first 5 months of the year I'd give it to either whoever is booking Dragongate or whoever is booking GLEAT. Probably GLEAT's booker, which for the G Pro side at least I suspect is CIMA, or at least he's involved in the booking committee.

Who WON voters would go for? Man, if not NJPW or AEW I dunno. Stardom seems a safe default for "Dave actually covers it". Coz there's not much he seems to watch outside of AEW, NJPW & WWE. Stardom, PWG.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

One of the WrestleTalk guys said he'd only ever lose faith in Tony K's booking if he made himself an onscreen character. That's pretty much where I am.

Wish the women's division was better.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Whoever books STARDOM (Rossy?) most likely, maybe Pulse for DPW or Excalibur for PWG depending on buzz. I know Dave doesn't rate the DDT family particularly highly so probably not Sanshiro Takagi

i don't even know what kind of pilled this post is, we need to discover new pills

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Dave also doesn’t really cover Stardom that much: it gets match results in the Observer and he might review a match here or there but it’s not a weekly/monthly thing. The big Observer Stardom coverage is Alvarez and Filthy Tom who do the big matches on all of the PPVs.

It wouldn’t be Gedo because they aren’t covering New Japan much - don’t think Dave watched a single match from BOSJ which has been the most hyped NJPW tour in a very long time. I assume whoever the UFC booker is would get it but who knows

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

has dave ever even mentioned or written about DPW a single time in its entire existence

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

no but he should its very fun

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sammys stuff is the first time ive seen universal displeasure at the booking. Even the year 0 Dark Order stuff and Nightmare collective had people who either enjoyed it or didnt think negatively about it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tony khan absolutely deserves his best promoter awards tho i’m less sold on booker . dragongate is to me clearly the best booked promotion in the world right now but the office committee (or genki lol) is never gonna win.

it’ll be tony for years just like it was gedo for years. it’s the popular “good” promotion and no one else is gonna be able to be able to amass critical support

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has anything come out on how much of a shoot or not a shoot the gameshow version of NXT was? Same question on the Diva search and Tough Enough.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Defenestrategy posted:

Sammys stuff is the first time ive seen universal displeasure at the booking. Even the year 0 Dark Order stuff and Nightmare collective had people who either enjoyed it or didnt think negatively about it.

even then i think there's smart decisions being made about it in the overall mess. there's a world where sammy and tay were still faces and still being booed out of the building instead of making the pivot, and frankie has a real fun dynamic with sammy and tay in a way i'd like to see carried forward.... assuming that moty goes over sunday and frankie and sammy are genuinely out of the tnt scene

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

flatluigi posted:

even then i think there's smart decisions being made about it in the overall mess. there's a world where sammy and tay were still faces and still being booed out of the building instead of making the pivot, and frankie has a real fun dynamic with sammy and tay in a way i'd like to see carried forward.... assuming that moty goes over sunday and frankie and sammy are genuinely out of the tnt scene

That dynamic is great. I love how Frankie is like "sigh I hate you two so much but the enemy of my enemy... loving poo poo I can't wait to finish this so I can get as far away from you as possible."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Interesting, I was working under the incorrect assumption that Observer readers were the kind of online fans that DPW was aimed towards.

it was kind of remarkable when the readership was following gcw enough for nick gage to place in the top 10 in the north america mvp category a few years ago. they are maybe like 20 months ahead of dave, who was way out ahead of the rest of wrestling media when he got super into pwg about ~6 years late

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Observer Award voters are, through the magic of parallel universes, just bix and 600 jims cornette.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And Bix still won't vote Okada into the Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I thought it was Kris Zellner that didn't put Okada on his ballot (cause he doesn't vote for active wrestlers which I get but also doesn't make sense cause wrestler never retire)