Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
literally why is it so hard for people to admit it's a pretty okay movie at best? it did a lot of stuff first, but that's the whole "citizen kane is the best because it was first" argument again, and i hate to break it to you, but A New Hope isn't even in the same tier bracket as Citizen Kane

it's a good movie, but nowhere near as good as i thought it was in 1982

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched A New Hope a few nights ago for its 45th anniversary and it's still a perfect movie IMO :colbert:

I saw Citizen Kane for the first time like 2 years ago, and while I did think it was good, I didn't think it was A New Hope level good, that's for sure.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

precision posted:

literally why is it so hard for people to admit it's a pretty okay movie at best? it did a lot of stuff first, but that's the whole "citizen kane is the best because it was first" argument again, and i hate to break it to you, but A New Hope isn't even in the same tier bracket as Citizen Kane

Star Wars (1977) is a very, very, very good film. hope that helps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic posted:

I saw Citizen Kane for the first time like 2 years ago, and while I did think it was good, I didn't think it was A New Hope level good, that's for sure.

welp

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Star Wars (1977) is a very, very, very good film. hope that helps

It's so good it was remade as Top Gun 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

precision posted:

Why is it so hard for you to admit you can’t enjoy one of the best movies ever made? It’s better then citizen Kane. Sorry to break it to you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why did I you say it twice

I didn’t.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CelticPredator posted:

Why did I you say it twice

I didn’t.

Because of the echo?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah the huge vagina

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is new home better than citzen kane is the most interesting topic point that has come out of this

the answer: no

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

literally why is it so hard for people to admit it's a pretty okay movie at best?

Do not attempt to tell a bunch of strangers to accept your hot take as fact.

And it is 100% a hot take btw. I mean the fact that if you did a poll of the movie industry literally 80% of the people 50 or younger would say "I got into the movies because of Star Wars", it had so much cultural gravity it quite literally distorted the entire film industry toward it. Any movie that could break so many peoples' minds so thoroughly and remain relevant for over 45 years is not "a pretty okay movie" that got lucky, come on now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do not attempt to tell a bunch of strangers to accept your hot take as fact.

And it is 100% a hot take btw. I mean the fact that if you did a poll of the movie industry literally 80% of the people 50 or younger would say "I got into the movies because of Star Wars", it had so much cultural gravity it quite literally distorted the entire film industry toward it. Any movie that could break so many peoples' minds so thoroughly and remain relevant for over 45 years is not "a pretty okay movie" that got lucky, come on now.

listen i dont want to take that morons side but very small coincidences do shape the future in profound ways

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Eh we all have hot takes, it's trying to convince people they're correct that I object to.

As far as Star Wars succeeding on coincidence, I think that's an interesting theory. I do think that the New Hollywood movement was going to end at some point (the mass audience was not going to turn out in droves for The Deer Hunter which was famously in production when Star Wars debuted, or Sorcerer, which is a great film but a grueling one). I don't see anyone else accomplishing what Lucas did in the short term. Spielberg maybe, although I don't see Raiders changing lives like Star Wars did. What are some of your candidates?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not trying to convince anyone else that i am correct, i just want them to respect my stupid opinion!

if there is a miscommunication here then okay. it seems to me that a couple of us were like "a new hope isn't that hot after all" and a bunch of people went "lmao"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You walked into the room and shat on the floor and you want me to respect that??????

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Star Wars is mostly unwatchable trash

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Me, on the other hand? I'm quite secure in knowing I'm correct, and it's up to you to agree with me or be a bunch of wrongs. Your call.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

You walked into the room and shat on the floor and you want me to respect that??????

buddy, if someone sharing their opinion is "taking a poo poo on the floor" in your world, i'm afraid that's kinda on you

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Where's my new Evil Dead trailer, HBO? :argh:

EDIT: I hope the holdup is because it's good enough that they're trying to sort out a theatrical release.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 30, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this looks great!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like this is a continuous action scene. Cool!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Shut up about space fight movie rankings in here you insufferable dummies

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
a new hope really isnt that great but whatever yall do you

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

whydirt posted:

Shut up about space fight movie rankings in here you insufferable dummies

You sure seem tired of all these stars wars

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i thought this was doing the annoying youtube trailer thing of doing a 5 second mini trailer at the start, but apparently the whole thing is like this

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Eh we all have hot takes, it's trying to convince people they're correct that I object to.

As far as Star Wars succeeding on coincidence, I think that's an interesting theory. I do think that the New Hollywood movement was going to end at some point (the mass audience was not going to turn out in droves for The Deer Hunter which was famously in production when Star Wars debuted, or Sorcerer, which is a great film but a grueling one). I don't see anyone else accomplishing what Lucas did in the short term. Spielberg maybe, although I don't see Raiders changing lives like Star Wars did. What are some of your candidates?
Spielberg - Jaws had maybe already done it?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

wyoak posted:

Yeah, Jaws basically invented the summer blockbuster, and Raiders re-invented the action film for the modern age.

Star Wars still very much its own sci-fi phenomenon, though you could argue it only really mattered once Empire hit and proved it could be repeated.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

wyoak posted:

I think Spielberg is probably the best candidate, I mean ET was enormous. Enormous! It just wasn't built for a franchise so it didn't leave much of a footprint. I think blockbusters may have warped slightly toward being more kid-friendly if Spielberg had been the breakout, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's very hard to convey to people just how big ET was. it was big in a way that even Star Wars kinda wasn't

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

precision posted:

it's very hard to convey to people just how big ET was. it was big in a way that even Star Wars kinda wasn't

That's ahistorical nonsense, sorry.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember ET being astronomically huge but I think it was just huge for children which is definitely tainting my memory of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jewmanji posted:

:confused:

whatever bro haha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i didn't even specify what i meant, why are you so thirsty to dunk on my post lmao

have a good one

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Somewhere in those 2 posts you could've explained what you really meant. ET did gross more than Star Wars, but not significantly more.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

To a kid it would absolutely be the equivalent.

The top 5 ticket sales of all time are Star Wars, E.T., Gone with the Wind, the Sound of Music, and Titanic. Basically these movies were all massive cultural phenoms in a league of their own (Titanic absolutely was, even though I was too old to get swept up in it, and my mom was absolutely gaga for Sound of Music) separated only by degrees. So yeah, technically E.T. wasn't as "big" as Star Wars, and it certainly didn't have the longevity, but it was huge. I had the bed sheets (and the Star Wars bed sheets, you know the ones.) and remember hearing "phone home" jokes for what seemed like 5 years, so yeah.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been in neighborhoods in Cincinnati where they'd put you in the ground if they thought you were an ET fan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

E.T. was responsible for turning the fortunes of Reese's Pieces around. You can't say the same thing about any of the candy featured in Star Wars.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chemtrailologist posted:

Somewhere in those 2 posts you could've explained what you really meant. ET did gross more than Star Wars, but not significantly more.

America fell in love with Elliott and ET. you literally heard people making phone home jokes irl. wel maybe you didn't, maybe you werent even alive.

that's what i meant by "big in a way that star wars was't". i din't say "bigger than star wars". i said "differently bigly".

but, i only really remember Empire and Jedi, i was barely alive for a new hope's theatrical run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also ET hit at just the right time. The year before ROTJ.

I remember my dad was going to the movies all the time and coming home with wild tales of what he just saw for my brother and I. Blade Runner was the detective movie with the best lighting of all time (this is how he described it)! The Thing made him sick and he hated it. Referred to Arnold in Conan the Barbarian as a "real hardbody". I really wish we had more "person on the street who just walked out of the theater and gives you their first impression of the movie" footage from that time, would be fun to see.