Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How much distance are you guys getting when you tee up your woods and irons? I haven't measured irons but I get an extra 15 yards or so with a 5 wood when I tee it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh for sure, its 15-25 extra yards from the tee vs. elsewhere.

Also, tale as old as time. Went to the PGA Superstore to pick up some balls and a glove....and walked out with a new putter and Callaway Mavrik driver

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Critical posted:

when i worked at the local muni we had an ancient 1-iron we kept around. one rainy afternoon I got bored and put a new grip on it, then took a few of the guys hanging around to the first tee to see if anyone could actually hit it. turf only, no teeing it up allowed. someone thinned it about 200 and that was the best anyone could do.

as the old saying goes, if you find yourself on the course in the middle of a thunderstorm just hold up your 1-iron because even god can't hit it

Last week after our softball game someone broke out a 1 iron and we all took turns hitting it into the woods. Every single person chunked or sliced it like 150 yards except for one guy who hit one absolutely pure and probably put it 260 dead straight.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Oh my god after 7 months my Garmin R10 finally came in let's gooo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hell yeah glad to see more people with R10's here! Best golf purchase I ever made.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Omne posted:

I feel like we should do a central Florida Goon scramble
I am in Orlando for an EDM festival but it was gonna be crazy expensive to stay until Monday for goon golf. :negative:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Prurient Squid posted:

How is a hole in one even possible? Or is it just some wonderful hypothetical that is achieved only in legend. (Yeah, I figure it must happen on occasion).

It's pretty much luck, but it's not that rare. Generally on the pro tour someone gets one every week or two. A couple years ago Brian Harman made two in the same round.

Here's an example of a wee bit of luck: https://youtu.be/2_f_6KTBYAU

quote:

One of the commentators pointed out that there's a golfer that is actually right handed but plays golf left handed.

Phil Mickelson is right-handed but plays left. Jordan Spieth is left-handed but plays right.

Presto fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 28, 2022

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Kameh posted:

@Daric, I just started summer break as a K-12 teacher. Holler when you wanna drag me around a golf course!

Hell yeah, will do. I’ll DM you this afternoon so we can get each other’s details.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Presto posted:

It's pretty much luck, but it's not that rare. Generally on the pro tour someone gets one every week or two. A couple years ago Brian Harman made two in the same round.

Here's an example of a wee bit of luck: https://youtu.be/2_f_6KTBYAU

Phil Mickelson is right-handed but plays left. Jordan Spieth is left-handed but plays right.

I write right handed

Bat left handed

Throw right handed

Kick left footed

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I was pretty close to ordering a Garmin R10 but ended up going with a PRGR launch monitor instead for about $200. It seems to have the most accurate club and ball speed numbers out of any of the portable launch monitors based on the youtube videos comparing it to Trackman/Flightscope/GCQuad. I know the distance number is calculated and not always very accurate since the PRGR doesn't measure spin, launch angle, path, etc. but I just wanted something I could have on the course with me while I'm practicing and I'll be able to see the actual ball flight and distance anyway. I'm looking forward to completely loving up my game by chasing speed when it arrives in a couple days.

Other than gloves and balls this is my only golf purchase in the last year which is a weird feeling. I'm very happy with all of my clubs aside from possibly trying a new hybrid setup that could include either a 7 wood or something like a game improvement 3-4 iron, we shall see.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm in Oregon for my brother's graduation and made a near 3 hour drive both ways to manzanita golf club. It's a goat pasture short course that has a funny seagull wearing a king's crown as it's mascot and basically the only reason I went there was to buy it's headcover. I brought 4 mp33s (3, 6, 8, pw) and played in sideways wind and rain. I just used it as mental training for tournament rounds where the weather might be terrible and it was overall a successful day.

Also, i can't recommend kjus rain gear enough, even though it's stupid expensive it's the lightest and most waterproof gear I've ever had. My hiking pants got soaked through but my rain jacket kept me bone dry the entire time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

6 hour drive for a headcover? :stare:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Well I was also under the impression the course was a bit more than it actually was, plus i stopped a couple places along the Oregon coast for some gifts. The drive is also pretty fun.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astoria Golf Club is a great place, but that's the only good coastal course in Oregon that I'm aware of that isn't near Bandon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Of course my boy Varner III chooses this week to show up

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

BonoMan posted:

Of course my boy Varner III chooses this week to show up

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
-10 with a par putt on 12, finished at even par.

Horrific collapse.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I almost... Almost ... Made a "watch me jinx him" edit. Goddamn. That's painful.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
When you're watching golf and someone tries to putt it and it slips around the hole, is this down to misjudging the speed of the course?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I mean sometimes putts are just mishit. Someone leaves the blade a little open and pushes it right or something.

Pro players are good enough though that I imagine a significant majority of missed putts are from misreading the putt, yeah. Slope of the green, speed, even stuff like the type of grass you’re putting on, if it’s with/against the grain of the grass, sometimes even the wind speed if it’s particularly blustery and the greens are fast enough.

Putting is hard! Even on tour I think the average length at which putts are missed more than made is like 9 feet.

Anno fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 30, 2022

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If a putt finishes behind the hole, then the person most likely hit the putt a little too hard for the amount of break they played.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Prurient Squid posted:

I like watching golf because it's dependable. It's always there and it's always the same.

edit:

How is a hole in one even possible? Or is it just some wonderful hypothetical that is achieved only in legend. (Yeah, I figure it must happen on occasion).

edit:

One of the commentators pointed out that there's a golfer that is actually right handed but plays golf left handed. I get the impression that golf is something where people try all kinds of weird idiosyncratic stuff to try to hone a style or get an edge.

Me and all the males on my dad's side of the family are like this. We all play golf, hockey, hit baseballs from the left, but we throw baseballs and footballs from our right. It just feels more natural

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

7 of my friends and I are going golfing for my birthday on Saturday. We are going to do a 4v4 (broken up into twosomes) scramble, but I was wondering what other side bets and games we could incorporate. Closest to the pin and longest drive are obvious, but does anyone have any fun ideas?

We will all be drinking so feel free to include any drinking game type stuff as well.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Do a worst ball hole and see which twosome ends up with the best score

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

Play snake. The loser is the last person to have a 3-putt during the round and has to pay $ to the rest of the group. Keeps everyone involved on every hole all day.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Worth mentioning that tour putting greens are worlds away from your local in the sense that

A. They run perfectly true, no bobbles or bounces to screw your putt up
But...
B. They are like ice and the ball screams across the surface

It's why watching pros chip is so entertaining because they are basically trying to stop a golf ball on a dance floor from all sorts of insane spots.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Spinnaker posted:

Play snake. The loser is the last person to have a 3-putt during the round and has to pay $ to the rest of the group. Keeps everyone involved on every hole all day.

Small adjustment to the Snake. If the person who currently has the snake three putts again before someone else, they "bought" it, and it resets. That player owes the money even if there are multiple three putts later.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I like it, thanks.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Shot a 105 yesterday. Again. 55 out, 50 in (last time was 53/52). Had three pars on the back 9, but also a few instances of being unable to connect with the ball and get out of a bunker. The search for the first birdie continues

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Interlachen was my home club growing up. I’ll be interested to hear what you think. (Also, I sent you an email about playing there or Nona, but we weren’t able to connect!)

Only took a few pics

https://imgur.com/a/U1rj19u

Interlachen was pretty awesome. Lots of water but can be a very scoreable course if you know where to hit it. I shot a decent enough 83 from the greens(6325 yds) which for me was just a little to short, it sounds awesome to be left with nothing but short half shot wedges into the greens on almost every par 4, but when that game isn't as strong as it should be I should have been laying back leaving myself with full wedges in. The greens were awesome, but playing 6 rounds up in Pinehurst the week before threw off my putting game and I did not adjust well or quick enough to the greens. Facilities are awesome as one would expect at a very private course, every 4 or 5 holes had full drink stations with fridges that were loaded with powerade/gatorade/water which was pretty awesome, Bay Hill doesn't even have that lol.

The member we played with was a former women's club champion who just got beat out by Omerta's mom the week before, so that was kinda funny in a, hey small world we kinda have a person in common way lol. It was also very unfair to watch her dick around and shot +2 on her round, just absolutely consistent off the tee and hit just about every GIR. I think if she had been in tournament mode the few holes she had bad mistakes on would not have happened, she was -1 through 16 and had 2 bad holes to end the round.

I'd like another crack at it, playing back a tee and now knowing where the trouble is on most holes. She said they are shutting it down in April of next year for a complete makeover which makes no sense as the course is a great layout and was in perfect condition. There were only a few holes where I thought, ya ok they could change this green from being super elevated with no way to stop a ball on it, it should be changed, but really, can't imagine what they are going to do. Hopefully my buddy who is friends with her can get us out one more time before it shuts down.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Omne posted:

Had my first range session with the R10 this morning, and holy poo poo is that thing cool. It pointed out the obvious: I'm a terrible golfer. But getting the instant feedback and metrics was sweet, even though my average drive was only 187 yards and equally split between 20+ feet right and 20+ feet left.

ETA: Also, I cannot hit my 5 iron for the life of me. I either top it or chunk it, there's virtually no in between.

What's your white whale club, the one you can never seem to hit?

I've never hit a 3-iron properly in my life. Might as well not even have the drat thing, I just leave it in the bag and it mocks me.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I love courses with the mown strip between the front tee box and the fairway for some reason, and courses that mow like a one-yard strip around the fairway to that same length somewhere between the fairway and the rough. It's just so picturesque.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Having a first cut down the length of the fairway is a nice thing to have, and you're right, it makes everything look a little elevated.

What I don't understand are courses that don't cut a fringe/collar around greens. Like the green ends and then you're immediately in ball swallowing rough. That poo poo isn't fun for anyone.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So far everything I've watched has just been from round 1 so I'm kind of interested to see if golfers are on pins and needles and trying hard on the first round and then if they loosen up during the second and aren't feeling pushed to get ahead. That's if they were doing well of course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

So far everything I've watched has just been from round 1 so I'm kind of interested to see if golfers are on pins and needles and trying hard on the first round and then if they loosen up during the second and aren't feeling pushed to get ahead. That's if they were doing well of course.

2nd round is the more important round really, there will be a cut line determined and if you aren't below that number after the 2nd day your tournament is done. So you'll have guys who are one or two strokes off the cut line really start to scramble to make some birdies so they make it to the weekend.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have given away the 14 Kirkland balls in my bag, and returned the 3 boxes back to Costco after 2 years of playing with them and push slicing every tee shot thinking the problem was my swing when it was actually because the Kirkland balls spin like a motherfucker and if your face:club is even a bit off they're gone.

I found this out after I hit a Titleist Velocity ball I found on the course and even after knowingly hitting a bad shot it flew dead straight. (and then bought a box and did a direct head to head comparison on the R10)

The Titleist is so low spin though that it's hosed my chips (the previous ace card in my game). So now I'm on the hunt for a ball that is somewhere in the middle, but also cheap enough that I don't feel bad about sending it into the trees.

What balls do you guys play with?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

I have given away the 14 Kirkland balls in my bag, and returned the 3 boxes back to Costco after 2 years of playing with them and push slicing every tee shot thinking the problem was my swing when it was actually because the Kirkland balls spin like a motherfucker and if your face:club is even a bit off they're gone.

I found this out after I hit a Titleist Velocity ball I found on the course and even after knowingly hitting a bad shot it flew dead straight. (and then bought a box and did a direct head to head comparison on the R10)

The Titleist is so low spin though that it's hosed my chips (the previous ace card in my game). So now I'm on the hunt for a ball that is somewhere in the middle, but also cheap enough that I don't feel bad about sending it into the trees.

What balls do you guys play with?

Check out the Srixon Q-Star and Q-Star Tour, they're around the same price as the Velocity. The Q-Star Tour is the ball that claims to spin more around the greens while still being a "distance" ball.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Yeah, I think you'd be feeling the pinch if you were two strokes from the cut and you were on the second round. Whether that kind of pressure would improve your performance or just stress you out too much I don't know.

I could never be one of these pro athletes though. I mean I only started watching golf to manage my anxiety to begin with. My anxiety is going really well by the way. Golf has definitely been my comforter these last few weeks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Check out the Srixon Q-Star and Q-Star Tour, they're around the same price as the Velocity. The Q-Star Tour is the ball that claims to spin more around the greens while still being a "distance" ball.

Sxrixon soft feel is even lower spin, and not "premium" so should be even cheaper. Probably comparable in price to the Kirkland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I've got a box of Srixon Distance, and AD333 on clearance. So far the AD333 are my favourite, but they seem to be really hard to find so I'll definitely check out the Soft Feel and Q-Star's as well.