Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The muscles that move the fingers are also in the hand. Fingers are pretty much just bones and tendons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I suppose I should finally contribute.

I'm in the IT dept of a medium-sized, global recruiting firm. I've been here over 6 years, and for the last 2+ (since my old teammate got fired, and rightly so) I've handled the bulk of helpdesk, and especially new hire stuff including account creations, laptop setup and shipping, ordering user equipment, and IT orientation as part of new hire onboarding. The past two years were heavy but we finally hired a junior helpdesk guy in December. He happens to be a friend of my manager, they both used to work at the same MSP. I was assured by manager that he's good.

In February, manager allows newbie to take a half-day every day for three weeks straight to attend an online class that leads to certification. Bad timing as the workload was heavy and I was doing the bulk of it again. It got so stressful, for the first time I noticed hairs on my pillow after waking up in the morning. Then the class is over and newbie decides he's not going to even do the exam, because it costs $1,200. Motherfucker, you may as well pony up the cash and do it now - the company paid for your classes, get it done before you have to do the class again down the road.

Did I mention I've never taken a class? Nor do I have any certs. I unloaded all of this to our director (above the manager), and he told me he was glad I said that. So that's something, I guess.

We also retain an MSP for helpdesk overflow, as well as evening/weekend/holiday coverage (plus some NOC stuff). This past Friday was a half day for our US offices due to the holiday weekend. Newbie had a ticket for an executive who was having laptop trouble in the form of mouse cursor jumping around so badly she couldn't work. She had a proposal for an RFP due by 5pm on Friday. Newbie replied to her ticket once that morning, then didn't bother to escalate the ticket to the MSP before clocking out at 1pm.

Understandably, she was pissed that there was no response or even escalation. There was no extension available for the RFP deadline, so our company is out of the running. Not only did we lose out on potential business, but she missed a chance at a five-figure commission. She is wanting to speak to someone about escalation policies and procedures. I advised newbie to escalate to director, since manager is at an onsite.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 1, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

To bring this back around thread relevant: injury happened because we use the wrong collet wrenches. They pretend to work for 3/4 of our drill holders but I hosed my poo poo up on one of the 1/4.

I bullshitted with boss man the day after it happened and tried to bring up torque wrenches and the manufacturer approved attachments.

“Ya know how mechanics all have to bring their own tools? Yeah machinists drop tools too.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheSpartacus posted:

Told my boss that they were micromanaging too much and they responded by asking me to track hours weekly.

I am just at a loss for words.

Fred Brooks (who wrote the Mythical-Man Month) put a big stopclock on his desk and conspicuously pressed a big chunky button to start it whenever his boss occupied his work time.

Not only did it keep good track of where the time was going, it was also a great passive-aggressive way of saying 'do you REALLY need to waste my time?'

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Tunicate posted:

Fred Brooks (who wrote the Mythical-Man Month) put a big stopclock on his desk and conspicuously pressed a big chunky button to start it whenever his boss occupied his work time.

Not only did it keep good track of where the time was going, it was also a great passive-aggressive way of saying 'do you REALLY need to waste my time?'

Imagine the improvement if every large organisation had someone to do that at every meeting, safely off to the side of the orgchart to avoid retribution.
Whispering into the emperor's ear at the parade: "Remember, you are only overhead."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LRADIKAL posted:

I've been trying to get a 27" 1440p monitor as opposed to a 24" 1080p monitor for code, photoshop, image editting, and all the regular kinds of office use. It's been 2 months, my ticket has been cancelled 4 times. The first times it was cancelled was because I needed an additional approval other than my manager, Got that, and it was closed again after a few days because they decided there was too long a lead time and I should just get a 24" monitor. Spoke to that person's manager and them and got the approval. Today, after 7 weeks it was cancelled again by a new person. My boss and I are going to keep going after it. Either they get me the display or we escalate or they take it out of the catalogue.

This isn't a super fancy monitor either. The 24" 1080p version is $350 at retail, the 1440p 27" version is $450 at retail. We've spent at least 10 man hours on this so far, maybe way more than that as I have no idea what our IT and contracted IT are doing.

I'm willing to bet that your IT department is KPI'ed to poo poo and king among their numbers is tickets closed

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

McGavin posted:

The muscles that move the fingers are also in the hand. Fingers are pretty much just bones and tendons.

The muscles that move the fingers are in your forearm.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

champagne posting posted:

I'm willing to bet that your IT department is KPI'ed to poo poo and king among their numbers is tickets closed

its this

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Atopian posted:

By 'busywork' you of course mean 'updating and distributing my CV', right?

Been doing almost exclusively this at my job recently :hai:

The next step up is when you're scheduling your interviews during work time :agesilaus:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The muscles that move the fingers are stored in the balls :smug:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Fingers are stored in the arms?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

champagne posting posted:

'Give me my monitor and I'll submit a trivially easy ticket once a month.'

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, our new plans (that started this) are very transparently pushing the HDHP/HSA plan. Terms of that plan got slightly better (and still nowhere near even bare minimum acceptable), while all the terms of our standard plan worsened (doubled deductible, "pay full cost of medications up to $3,000 and then 40% after per year", doubled some copays, have to pay for some services that used to be included). I can only imagine the HDHP/HSA plan costs the company less and that's why they're pushing it so hard.

This is the angriest I've been about anything in a long time.

Yep; high deductible, HSA enabled accounts are the way most companies are going now. It's insane to me that I have to spend $3200 before the plan will cover 80% of the medical bills. If I hit that level of spending I would more than have used all my HSA yearly contribution AND the company contribution. Our medication coverage is so trash that it would cost me $30 to get my generic thyroid medication from a CVS with insurance while Wal-Mart's generic medication policy has them selling a 90 day supply of the same drug for $10 so long as I don't use my insurance. I have the CVS/Wellmark plan through work, so it would cost me more to go to my insurance company to get my meds that I pay them to cover some of the cost for. The extreme commonality of the above scheme makes me wonder why people don't think socialized medicine would be a step up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Outrail posted:

'Give me my monitor and I'll submit a trivially easy ticket once a month.'

You say this as a joke, but I may just do this at my work.

KPIs exist solely to gently caress with.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Usually it’s a mix of “you’ll lose your doctor!” And “you’ll spend so much time waiting for the doctor you’ll die before they can get to you”.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Sorry. I meant fingats.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Yep; high deductible, HSA enabled accounts are the way most companies are going now. It's insane to me that I have to spend $3200 before the plan will cover 80% of the medical bills. If I hit that level of spending I would more than have used all my HSA yearly contribution AND the company contribution. Our medication coverage is so trash that it would cost me $30 to get my generic thyroid medication from a CVS with insurance while Wal-Mart's generic medication policy has them selling a 90 day supply of the same drug for $10 so long as I don't use my insurance. I have the CVS/Wellmark plan through work, so it would cost me more to go to my insurance company to get my meds that I pay them to cover some of the cost for. The extreme commonality of the above scheme makes me wonder why people don't think socialized medicine would be a step up.

I wouldn't be so upset if the plans didn't gently caress over the people that need them most. I would hit the deductible in about 4 months just from my therapist visits alone, which are every other week.

Crunched some numbers, to offset what the plan change would cost me immediately I would need a raise of about $1.15 an hour for the rest of the year. Have a meeting with my boss and the head of HR next week, plan to present that and ask for it, or a few extra days in PTO. Fully expecting to be told to get hosed.

Also wondering if it would be considered a decrease in compensation without my authorization, which would allow to me to collect if I walk and give me a little more leverage.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The muscles that move the fingers are in your forearm.

Truth

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You say this as a joke, but I may just do this at my work.

KPIs exist solely to gently caress with.

I honestly wasn't joking!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite part of the high deductible concept is that it's just 2 pure unrestrained jolts of capitalism for capitalism's sake.

1. Just simply be not sick for 20 years while you save the minimum deductible or maximum out of pocket for multiple years of full coverage. It's tax advantaged! Better than paying for someone else to go to the doctor in the meantime amiright
2. If you're sick, just shop around. You know, just throw out some requests for proposal for your emergency appendectomy. Ask all the docs in town for the generic off label you read on the internet instead of the new proprietary medicine meant to treat what you have.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Critical posted:

I wouldn't be so upset if the plans didn't gently caress over the people that need them most. I would hit the deductible in about 4 months just from my therapist visits alone, which are every other week.

Crunched some numbers, to offset what the plan change would cost me immediately I would need a raise of about $1.15 an hour for the rest of the year. Have a meeting with my boss and the head of HR next week, plan to present that and ask for it, or a few extra days in PTO. Fully expecting to be told to get hosed.

Also wondering if it would be considered a decrease in compensation without my authorization, which would allow to me to collect if I walk and give me a little more leverage.
You're going to find out HR already considers that the new health plan is a raise because the high deductible plan already costs them more than the group rate that just ran out to trigger the switch.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just found out that HR won't pay out my PTO if I quit and won't approve a PTO sale after I give notice.

Guess who isn't getting notice :lol:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

zedprime posted:

You're going to find out HR already considers that the new health plan is a raise because the high deductible plan already costs them more than the group rate that just ran out to trigger the switch.

A problem I have run into repeatedly when negotiating with employers is "we consider".

The situation is typically: my contract is ending, they would like to retain me, so we're discussing it.
We both lay out our starting positions, then get to arguing over the specifics.
At some point they say "we consider that ______", and... that's it for that aspect of the negotiation, apparently?
Then they seem to be surprised when I say the formal version of "thanks but no thanks", and wander off while they struggle to find a replacement.

Like, in the course of my daily work "we consider" is fine. It's a polite way of saying "do this thing", and that's cool.
But once negotiation starts, we're two parties trying to come to an agreement over something we both want.
I guess a lot of people have trouble with the sudden temporary role-shift.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Just found out that HR won't pay out my PTO if I quit and won't approve a PTO sale after I give notice.

Isn't that illegal in the US?

vvv: drat, rip to those living in shithole states.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 1, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^ it's regulated by states, there's no federal PTO payout guidelines

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Use it all up then don't show up afterwards :balldo:

I had an old coworker do that. Company was going to pay out PTO at 1/2, so he got a 2 week vacation approved to use up most, if not all of it, then the day before it started put in his 2 week notice.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Our company is shifting from "You have to request every piece of software, it has to be approved, then it gets pushed" to making software that's pre-approved and doesn't require license available for users to install through Microsoft's Company Portal... Only no one's figured out that they should probably have Company Portal included as part of the image for all new PCs and also to NOT block the installation of Company Portal because basically every PC we're putting out right now is missing this handy-dandy software that users keep being told is going to be the way to install software from now on, and we are completely unable to install it for them.

The engineer whose team has been responsible for implementing Company Portal in our environment has just kinda shrugged and said "I'm aware. I'm sure you can figure it out." I'm advocating that we just hand PCs over to users and tell them to contact that dude directly if there's issues because, buddy, we ain't doing your job for you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Atopian posted:

A problem I have run into repeatedly when negotiating with employers is "we consider".

The situation is typically: my contract is ending, they would like to retain me, so we're discussing it.
We both lay out our starting positions, then get to arguing over the specifics.
At some point they say "we consider that ______", and... that's it for that aspect of the negotiation, apparently?
Then they seem to be surprised when I say the formal version of "thanks but no thanks", and wander off while they struggle to find a replacement.

Like, in the course of my daily work "we consider" is fine. It's a polite way of saying "do this thing", and that's cool.
But once negotiation starts, we're two parties trying to come to an agreement over something we both want.
I guess a lot of people have trouble with the sudden temporary role-shift.

For a good maugh try replying with 'And I consider that _____'

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There are so many things wrong with the UK, but the one thing I don’t miss about living in America is worrying about how to afford routine healthcare. We had quite a good plan because I worked for a fancy hospital, and still when my son fell off a piece of playground equipment, my wife and I both had the same thought: “I hope he’s OK, because we don’t have the money if he’s not”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Johnny Truant posted:

I had an old coworker do that. Company was going to pay out PTO at 1/2, so he got a 2 week vacation approved to use up most, if not all of it, then the day before it started put in his 2 week notice.

A few jobs ago I hadd a joint PTO/sick time thing. IIRC it was something like 5 hours per paycheck of PTO accrual, which came out to ~3 weeks of PTO. Not terrible, but again, sick time comes out of it so you really need to save it and have some left over at the end of the year in case you get the flu or get in a car crash or whatever.

Eventually we all got this big notice in October or November that they weren't letting us roll over more than 80 hours of PTO any more. Guess who had close to 200 banked? Guess who had a huge as gently caress end-of-year thing he had to work on, including a huge as poo poo client meeting he had to be active in? Guess who got denied to roll over his PTO for a couple of months so he could burn it in the spring?

Guess who took gently caress near a month off right when all that critical poo poo was going down because it was use it or loose it and lol I'm not working for free?

It was so loving stupid, all they had to do was approve me to temporarily roll over that PTO for like a month, and I could have taken my extended bout of playing video games in my living room during the post-year-end-clusterfuck slack time. As it was I came in for like 3 or 4 days to do really critical stuff and then went back to loving off, but holy poo poo literally all they had to do was get HR to let me kick that can for a single goddamned month. Maybe it was my supervisor? Or the company owner/head (small business so that's always an option)? No idea, all I know is I got told no.

Also made the client I was working for extremely unhappy with the company because I made sure to tell them that this vacation time wasn't exactly my choice, and they were extremely understanding on my "I don't work for free" policy.

I also got a super lovely email from my manager about how if I "pulled something like this again" they just wouldn't approve the leave and basically force me to burn it, which is a big part of why I don't work there any more.

edit: later found out through the grape vine that they lost the contract on it's next re-up cycle, and god I hope it was because of that mess :allears:

edit 2: same idiots also hosed everyone's 401k contributions really badly. Like, REALLY badly as in deducted our contributions but then didn't pay it into the plans. For almost a year. That was fun to un-gently caress. The real question (still unanswered) was if it was fraud, serious cash-flow problems with the business, or the staggering incompetence of the owner's family member who was responsible for handling that poo poo.

God I'm glad I don't work there any more.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 1, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's (relatively) fine on the side. Front or back so they have to go hunting for the tendons is the bad times.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cyrano4747 posted:

The real question (still unanswered) was if it was fraud, serious cash-flow problems with the business, or the staggering incompetence of the owner's family member who was responsible for handling that poo poo.

D: All of the above

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

A few jobs ago I hadd a joint PTO/sick time thing. IIRC it was something like 5 hours per paycheck of PTO accrual, which came out to ~3 weeks of PTO. Not terrible, but again, sick time comes out of it so you really need to save it and have some left over at the end of the year in case you get the flu or get in a car crash or whatever.

Eventually we all got this big notice in October or November that they weren't letting us roll over more than 80 hours of PTO any more. Guess who had close to 200 banked? Guess who had a huge as gently caress end-of-year thing he had to work on, including a huge as poo poo client meeting he had to be active in? Guess who got denied to roll over his PTO for a couple of months so he could burn it in the spring?

Guess who took gently caress near a month off right when all that critical poo poo was going down because it was use it or loose it and lol I'm not working for free?

It was so loving stupid, all they had to do was approve me to temporarily roll over that PTO for like a month, and I could have taken my extended bout of playing video games in my living room during the post-year-end-clusterfuck slack time. As it was I came in for like 3 or 4 days to do really critical stuff and then went back to loving off, but holy poo poo literally all they had to do was get HR to let me kick that can for a single goddamned month. Maybe it was my supervisor? Or the company owner/head (small business so that's always an option)? No idea, all I know is I got told no.

Also made the client I was working for extremely unhappy with the company because I made sure to tell them that this vacation time wasn't exactly my choice, and they were extremely understanding on my "I don't work for free" policy.

I also got a super lovely email from my manager about how if I "pulled something like this again" they just wouldn't approve the leave and basically force me to burn it, which is a big part of why I don't work there any more.

edit: later found out through the grape vine that they lost the contract on it's next re-up cycle, and god I hope it was because of that mess :allears:

edit 2: same idiots also hosed everyone's 401k contributions really badly. Like, REALLY badly as in deducted our contributions but then didn't pay it into the plans. For almost a year. That was fun to un-gently caress. The real question (still unanswered) was if it was fraud, serious cash-flow problems with the business, or the staggering incompetence of the owner's family member who was responsible for handling that poo poo.

God I'm glad I don't work there any more.

Ugh!

You don't even need to involve HR for this if your manager is remotely competent. You "take" the vacation now, work through it, then take the vacation later when HR thinks you're working. Nobody beyond you and your immediate team even need to know.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zedprime posted:

My favorite part of the high deductible concept is that it's just 2 pure unrestrained jolts of capitalism for capitalism's sake.

1. Just simply be not sick for 20 years while you save the minimum deductible or maximum out of pocket for multiple years of full coverage. It's tax advantaged! Better than paying for someone else to go to the doctor in the meantime amiright
2. If you're sick, just shop around. You know, just throw out some requests for proposal for your emergency appendectomy. Ask all the docs in town for the generic off label you read on the internet instead of the new proprietary medicine meant to treat what you have.

The best "capitalism fucks you at every turn" thing is the FSA; the HSA's dumber, scammier brother meant for people on low deductible plans. The funds in those accounts run out and the money doesn't go to you, even if you put it there, but is split between your employer and the insurance company. This poo poo should be illegal.

Johnny Truant posted:

I worked with a guy who decided to take a buyout package and then took his last two weeks as vacation. I can't say I blame him because he had so much time with the company that he was going to be beyond the max vacation time payout the company had to provide.

In terms of an employer completely screwing me over on PTO payout: I left one job right before the end of the year, last day being December 30th and start the new job on January 3rd. We had an accrual system, so you got vacation time for every X weeks worked, needless to say, I was due fairly sizeable payout. Yet that never arrived. I only got what I thought would be my paper check for the vacation time and instead it was a direct deposit receipt for January 2nd, eight hours of paid holiday time. That was weird and disappointing, but I figured it would eventually arrive, but it never did. A couple years later I got in touch with one of the old members of the team and he told me that our boss came in gloating about how she had purposefully left her laptop in the office and never agreed to my final day before going on vacation the last week of the year. HR had conducted my exit interview and couldn't make anything final without her sign off, so while I signed everything before the end of the year, she just waited until things ticked over and I had no vacation hours before submitting the paperwork and making it official. Up until I was told what happened I had figured it was an honest mistake by a company with a terrible HR department. When I joined they somehow filed my tax information incorrectly and so the IRS thought I had three dependents for a year until I corrected that mistake.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Johnny Truant posted:

Yup, I've done that in the past from burnout & lovely managers along with stupid PTO "rules". Use it up however you can, then come back, spend a couple days stealth clearing your desk out, then set up a delayed "I resign effective immediately, good luck" email to send after you walk out. Only had maybe 2 jobs like that in 25+ years but it was worth it each time, especially knowing I didn't need the reference & the manager(s) couldn't say anything outside "he worked here from X to Y dates".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

How could a combo of mandatory three days in the office, a "do what you feel like" masking policy, and a bake sale have led to dozens of confirmed cases and counting since last weekend? :iiam:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

How could a combo of mandatory three days in the office, a "do what you feel like" masking policy, and a bake sale have led to dozens of confirmed cases and counting since last weekend? :iiam:

Some mysteries are not meant to be solved

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

insta posted:

Ugh!

You don't even need to involve HR for this if your manager is remotely competent. You "take" the vacation now, work through it, then take the vacation later when HR thinks you're working. Nobody beyond you and your immediate team even need to know.

That's a Trump dump sized if right there.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
One thing I've learned is you never ask for unpaid time-off. You are not a slave. If you want to take unpaid time off you don't need permission; so don't ask for it.

When I was promoted to a non-union position I lost over 100 hours of paid sick-time that no longer applied to non-union workers. In addition the company illegally applied my PTO for jury duty after I explicitly said I refuse to use my PTO days for this and wanted jury duty pay as required by state law. After that I made a point of never saving my PTO and used it every month.

Cue a new apprentice still in training telling the maintenance manager he needed to take 2 unpaid weeks off to go to a cousin's wedding in another country. Approved no problem. The manager understood that family is important and yadda yadda. Later I asked for an unpaid weekend off to go upstate to a wedding with my girlfriend. I was firmly denied and the manager let me know it was unprofessional of me to ask for unpaid time off.

He was right, I shouldn't have asked for permission. That was my mistake.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sanctum posted:

One thing I've learned is you never ask for unpaid time-off. You are not a slave. If you want to take unpaid time off you don't need permission; so don't ask for it.

Wait is that industry specific? My MegaCorp has issues but is pretty reasonable about time off processes, although if I needed to take a significant amount of unpaid time off I don't think it would be a good idea to do so without looping in management as otherwise that would be getting into no show/no call territory or even job abandonment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Aviation ground services. They cheated everyone with jury duty pay so I wasn't alone on that.

The union gave us 14 paid holidays, 12 paid sick days, and 5 to 15 paid vacation days each year. Non-union gets 12 PTO days and that's it.

No holiday pay so I called off every holiday (real no-brainer, dunno why I was the only one taking that stand.) I went from a union person who never calls off to a non-union person who calls off every month. The company needed me to dig them out of a hole and get them off the FAA's poo poo-list. Lying to auditors wasn't working now that they know our company has falsified records. Cue me, on my perpetual work-to-rule strike.

My supervisor once asked me to sign a memo about a new policy for servicing one specific airline. As I am signing that yes I understand this policy, my supervisor tells me that this is only to be followed when auditors are around. Oh okay boss. Course I ignored him. The new company policy was basically "Inspections must be performed when the unit is in operation. Repairs are not allowed when a unit is in operation." What repairs? Doesn't specify. Must mean all repairs.

Don't ask me to sign a piece of paper that you're going to hold over me if anything goes wrong so you can say I violated policy and am to blame. If you want to make unworkable policies that set mechanics up for blame then I am going to follow that policy ALWAYS no matter how stupid it is. For the next few months I would write up issues and not make any repairs for units in that particular fleet because per policy I cannot service anything that's in active operation for any reason. That's the policy my supervisor asked me to sign. I just follow the written policy. :shrug:

Wasted a lotta man-hours removing units from service that I could easily have fixed cuz of that. To be clear, there are countless specific ATA rules like "never adjust pressure regulators while performing into-plane fueling" so the blanket policy on all repairs was only to shift potential liability from the company by allowing them to blame mechanics. And I wasn't having that.