Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Somehow I got Final immediately today, despite only remembering tiny fragments of the novel, including: "phony", "gently caress you" on a tombstone, and the phrase "giving her the time". The last one I especially remember because my sophomore English class had something like four boys and twenty-five girls in it and one of the girls asked one of the boys if she could look at his watch and another of the boys shouted, "he's giving her the time!"

That got a big laugh from us four boys and a general groan from the rest of the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

1glitch0 posted:

"Privateers."

"Piracy, yes."

Yeah that was wild, I wonder if her sheet had some sort of specific note like "DO NOT accept piracy" and she misread it.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/6/1/23149944/levar-burton-jeopardy-scripps-national-spelling-bee

Levar opens up about he was treated as guest host which, WASN’T GREAT

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Man, gently caress that. gently caress Richard Smith.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sounds like Levar got sandbagged due to being major competition for the evil scheme.

gently caress Richard Smith

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What is it with Ricks?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"Richard Smith?" is the kind of petty poo poo that I am here for.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The Ringer piece caught the attention of my local paper so it strangely has some legs. Likely due to their spelling bee champ getting eliminated.

He's right to complain about the rigged search (Not sure how Bialik got it though, CBS?) but he was never going to be the host. He was one of the worse guest hosts of the lot.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

He did seem surprisingly uncomfortable and flustered when he was hosting. It makes me wonder what sort of stuff was going on behind the scenes that might have thrown him off right before filming started

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

He did seem surprisingly uncomfortable and flustered when he was hosting. It makes me wonder what sort of stuff was going on behind the scenes that might have thrown him off right before filming started

Well according to the interview, he never got the level of training from Richards that apparently someone like Miyam got, so he basically just had to do his best with what he had

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burton only had one day of hosting. He wasn't able to go home, review his tics and mannerisms, and adjust.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Howling with anger at everyone missing final jeopardy today

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, word is Burton was never given the opportunities to correct his on-camera flubs afterward to re-record the way the other guest hosts (and Alex) were, specifically to make him look worse to viewers.

I don’t think he was the best by any means, but he is totally right that Richards rigged the game against him.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

If an admiral is at Waterloo poo poo has gone very wrong.

quote is not edit: It probably wouldn't help to much for jeopardy prep except for this exact clue but the Aubrey–Maturin books are very good. Pride and Prejudice and Naval combat.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 2, 2022

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
But it has water right there in the name!!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FJ today

What is Waterloo?

Me: Admiral! :smuggo:

What is Waterloo?

Me: ADMIRAL! :stare:

What is Waterloo?

Me: ADMIRAAAAAALLLLLLLL :byodood:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ughhhhh. So close.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I was really embarrassed for the English lady. That's gotta be one of the main things they beat into your head in grade school there

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Really wanted to hear, "Who is Rick James, bitch."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mister Kingdom posted:

:lol: Its all I could think of.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Mayim would have had to look at her cheat sheet for 40 seconds before declaring it incorrect.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
yankus

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

First time in my life I've ever yelled "ne'er-do-well!" at a television.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Mayim would have had to look at her cheat sheet for 40 seconds before declaring it incorrect.

She has to look at her cheat sheet for 40 seconds on EVERY clue!!!

Also: who keeps telling her that Groucho Marx glasses are a good idea?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

GG Ryan Long

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sunnyboy posted:

Also: who keeps telling her that Groucho Marx glasses are a good idea?

I’m never going to get over “the hanging gardens of *checks notes* Babylon”

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

sunnyboy posted:

I remember watching some Jeopardy behind-the-scenes several years ago, and it showed that Alex would sit down with the writing staff and actually go over all the clues prior to filming. Shouldn't Mayim know the correct responses beforehand? It feels like she's not prepared.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Autism posted:

I remember watching some Jeopardy behind-the-scenes several years ago, and it showed that Alex would sit down with the writing staff and actually go over all the clues prior to filming. Shouldn't Mayim know the correct responses beforehand? It feels like she's not prepared.

She probably is not prepared. She’s a brain doctor, why would she have to?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

She's done her own research and doesn't need to blindly believe what the cards say

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I expected Ryan to have to do TV interviews but guess not. Hell of a run for him with $300K.

This would likely mean he runs into one of the 20+ game superchamps in the TOC semis. That'll be interesting to see.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

She probably is not prepared. She’s a brain doctor, why would she have to?

And she sells Brain and Nerve Tonic!

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 7, 2022

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Island Nation posted:

I expected Ryan to have to do TV interviews but guess not. Hell of a run for him with $300K.

This would likely mean he runs into one of the 20+ game superchamps in the TOC semis. That'll be interesting to see.

it's wild that there should be a 10+ day champ in each of the quarterfinal games.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pretty crazy he lost "this bad". He was destroying everyone else and even when kinda on the ropes he wagered where he'd be safe. A smart player. Hope his life a little more comfy for a while and he doesn't waste this money.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty crazy he lost "this bad". He was destroying everyone else and even when kinda on the ropes he wagered where he'd be safe. A smart player. Hope his life a little more comfy for a while and he doesn't waste this money.

he was by far the worst of the 4 long streakers this season imo, and got lucky a few times in final jeopardy and with opponents making low wagers on daily doubles

seems like a good dude tho, happy for him

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh cool today's jeopardy is literally just yesterday's episode. Someone hit the wrong button.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Not sure if I'm really that out of date on texting shorthand or if that entire category was basically bullshit. Most could be guessed from context but I'm not sure I've ever seen any of them.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

MokBa posted:

Not sure if I'm really that out of date on texting shorthand or if that entire category was basically bullshit. Most could be guessed from context but I'm not sure I've ever seen any of them.

i'm generally the gen z guy in my trivia groups and i had no clue on any of it lmao

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
She's repeating a response with the first name every. loving. Time. It has to stop.

What's amazing to me are the people who thought Ken was being "condescending" are fine with this dumbass pointedly correctly pronunciation of things I guarantee she had never read before that taping. I feel like delivering it like you're talking to kindergarteners makes it way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
They aired yesterday's episode again here and clearly this is Mayim's fault.