Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

I've got a box of Srixon Distance, and AD333 on clearance. So far the AD333 are my favourite, but they seem to be really hard to find so I'll definitely check out the Soft Feel and Q-Star's as well.

I think the AD333 is what the Srixon Q Star is called in Europe/UK or they're at least analogous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

Yeah, I think you'd be feeling the pinch if you were two strokes from the cut and you were on the second round. Whether that kind of pressure would improve your performance or just stress you out too much I don't know.

I could never be one of these pro athletes though. I mean I only started watching golf to manage my anxiety to begin with. My anxiety is going really well by the way. Golf has definitely been my comforter these last few weeks.

If you want to see guys under pressure a lot of the majors are putting the entire final round broadcasts on Youtube. The Masters in particular has almost all of them. Some of them have hour long films about the entire tournament as well. Great to throw on and zone out to.

If you want recommendations:

Tiger-centric
97 Masters
00 US Open
00 British
00 Bridgestone Invitational (not a major but you'll see why)
00 PGA (Hard to overstate how dominant Tiger was at his peak, even if you know he wins he's awesome to watch)
05 Masters
08 US Open
19 Masters

Non Tiger:
77 British Open
82 US Open
96 Masters
99 US Open
99 British Open

Definitely forgetting a bunch but it's a good start.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Thanks a lot. I'm not going to run out of footage of the 149th Open anytime soon though!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Shrapnig posted:

I think the AD333 is what the Srixon Q Star is called in Europe/UK or they're at least analogous.

That would explain why I've only ever seen them in one store here in Canada. And even then they don't seem to have too many.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Man there's nothing worse than playing with someone who's throwing clubs from the second hole. It's my opponent in our league so I can't just drive off and play with someone else. Just don't understand the point of paying :20bux: or so to play 9 holes on a nice sunny afternoon and be that mad about it.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mattfl posted:

Only took a few pics

https://imgur.com/a/U1rj19u

Interlachen was pretty awesome. Lots of water but can be a very scoreable course if you know where to hit it. I shot a decent enough 83 from the greens(6325 yds) which for me was just a little to short, it sounds awesome to be left with nothing but short half shot wedges into the greens on almost every par 4, but when that game isn't as strong as it should be I should have been laying back leaving myself with full wedges in. The greens were awesome, but playing 6 rounds up in Pinehurst the week before threw off my putting game and I did not adjust well or quick enough to the greens. Facilities are awesome as one would expect at a very private course, every 4 or 5 holes had full drink stations with fridges that were loaded with powerade/gatorade/water which was pretty awesome, Bay Hill doesn't even have that lol.

The member we played with was a former women's club champion who just got beat out by Omerta's mom the week before, so that was kinda funny in a, hey small world we kinda have a person in common way lol. It was also very unfair to watch her dick around and shot +2 on her round, just absolutely consistent off the tee and hit just about every GIR. I think if she had been in tournament mode the few holes she had bad mistakes on would not have happened, she was -1 through 16 and had 2 bad holes to end the round.

I'd like another crack at it, playing back a tee and now knowing where the trouble is on most holes. She said they are shutting it down in April of next year for a complete makeover which makes no sense as the course is a great layout and was in perfect condition. There were only a few holes where I thought, ya ok they could change this green from being super elevated with no way to stop a ball on it, it should be changed, but really, can't imagine what they are going to do. Hopefully my buddy who is friends with her can get us out one more time before it shuts down.

Yeah, the green tees are fun to play every now and then but don’t make for a great round. It’s a much better course from the golds or blacks.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

MustardFacial posted:

I have given away the 14 Kirkland balls in my bag, and returned the 3 boxes back to Costco after 2 years of playing with them and push slicing every tee shot thinking the problem was my swing when it was actually because the Kirkland balls spin like a motherfucker and if your face:club is even a bit off they're gone.

I found this out after I hit a Titleist Velocity ball I found on the course and even after knowingly hitting a bad shot it flew dead straight. (and then bought a box and did a direct head to head comparison on the R10)

The Titleist is so low spin though that it's hosed my chips (the previous ace card in my game). So now I'm on the hunt for a ball that is somewhere in the middle, but also cheap enough that I don't feel bad about sending it into the trees.

What balls do you guys play with?

I play 2nd hand Titleist pro v1's from (choose your favorite golf ball reseller). When you hit them solid they just fly. Plus, it's only $2/ball instead of $4/ball, and if I lose a ball or two, that's just part of doing business on the golf course.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I usually grab a couple $0.75 used balls from the fishbowl at the pro shop at my local muni. Of the selection, I tend to pick any V1s or Vice balls I find. Probably due to a small sample size, but I like the Vices a lot, they tend to last me longer before I lose them than the Titleists, but who knows

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I find Maxfli Softfli to be a pretty good budget golf ball.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Tp5s when they are on sale - pro v1 when they aren't.

The more expensive balls make a huge difference, as much as it pains me to say.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

You can always tell when it's links golf because of the commentators anecdotes about seaguls.

edit:

Also, I think the slogan of the 150th Open "everything has lead to this" is a funny choice because that almost suggests that everything that happened over the last century and a half is less important than what's about to happen. Really that's the opposite message.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 1, 2022

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I like to sit on the toilet and take a poo poo, and think, everything that has ever happened in the universe has lead to this

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

There is only this moment. It's like zen, but more porcelain.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Today's range session compared to last week's, courtesy of the R10:

My slice on the Driver wasn't nearly as bad; of the 23 shots I took this morning, five went more than 10 yards right. Unfortunately, ten of the 23 went more than ten yards LEFT, which is new. They weren't necessarily hooks either, but came off straight to the left. I did hit my longest drive ever, 230 yards. With my 5W, everything was left. It's like whatever adjustment I've made to fix my slice has led me to push everything far to the left.

I also crushed (for me) a 7i 165 yards.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You're probably unconsciously or consciously aiming left to counter the slice so straight shots are going left of target.

A 165 yard 7 iron "equates" to about a 270 yard drive so yeah, you definitely have some driver gremlins.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Wow, I didn't realise it was so mathematical. Maybe my maths degree will finally come in useful for something.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea your score will be getting pretty high so it helps to be able to add all those big numbers together.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Wow, Morikawa did an amazing putt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBjUlYcSvU&t=40021s

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
DJ and Gooch going for that Saudi bag

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rapaport/status/1531793152213925888?s=20&t=0Il1kmfpGL1pOnFih28DDw

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Totally fine never seeing another one of those players again.

Not because they'll end up headless in a suitcase or anything, but whatever.

Liv Golf, Bonesaw Is Ready!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait are they leaving the PGA tour? Or are they just playing in one tournament over there?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Wait are they leaving the PGA tour? Or are they just playing in one tournament over there?

They're out as far as I can tell.

DJ's agent:

"Dustin has been contemplating the opportunity off-and-on for the past couple of years," Winkle wrote. "Ultimately, he decided it was in his and his family's best interest to pursue it. Dustin has never had an issue with the PGA Tour and is grateful for all it has given him, but in the end, felt this was too compelling to pass up."

They're also losing sponsors left, right, and center.

RBC dropped DJ and GMac, UPS dropped Westwood.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
"As communicated to our membership on May 10, PGA Tour members have not been authorized to participate in the Saudi Golf League's London event, under PGA Tour regulations," the statement read. "Members who violate the tournament regulations are subject to disciplinary action."

It's unclear what this disciplinary action might be, but it is presumed that a suspension or possible ban would be applied to anyone who chooses to go through with playing in the London event. Committed players will need to be all-in regardless of what the PGA Tour decides because their sponsors will be dropping them for joining a league backed by the Saudi Arabian government.

Shortly after it was disclosed that Johnson was headed to the LIV Golf event, long-time sponsor RBC decided to cut ties with him. Doubly embarrassing for everyone involved is that the RBC Canadian Open, an event in which D.J. normally plays, will take place the week of the first LIV Golf event in London.

"RBC is a proud partner of the PGA Tour. Our partnership is anchored with two world-class golf tournaments -- the RBC Heritage and the RBC Canadian Open. The PGA Tour has been clear about its intentions in accordance with its tournament regulations should a golfer choose to play in a tournament outside the Tour, including the LIV Golf Invitational series," the RBC said Tuesday. "We were recently made aware that Dustin Johnson made the decision to play the LIV Golf Invitational series opener. D.J. has been a valued RBC team member since 2019. While we are extremely disappointed in his decision, we wish him well."

The RBC provided a more definitive statement Wednesday, officially cutting ties with Johnson and Graeme McDowell.

"As a result of the decisions made by professional golfers Dustin Johnson and Graeme McDowell to play the LIV Golf Invitational Series opener, RBC is terminating its sponsorship agreement with both players," the company said in a statement. "We wish them well in their future endeavors."

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/pga-tour-responds-to-players-joining-liv-golf-as-disappointed-rbc-drops-dustin-johnson-graeme-mcdowell/

Unknown, but would not be surprised.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think the tour thing is going to come down to lawsuits. PGA Tour will likely tell ‘em they’re done and then some antitrust suits will be filed and who knows from there.

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 1, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJ kinda surprises me since the guy should already have gently caress you money. He's made $75m on the course so probably double that if not more in sponsorship money.

He and his wife did have that pretty expensive habit for a while though...

Anno
May 10, 2017

They needed a headline player, because good lord look at the rest of this field. Wouldn’t be surprised if they paid him some astronomical amount to take the deal. Especially since it was just a few months ago that he publicly committed to the PGA.

My only real surprise is that headline player isn’t Bryson, and a little bit that Gooch took it. He seemed like he had a ton of tour winnings in his future.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah, I guess if they gave him Mickelson's bag that'd be a pretty good motivator.

Phil got $30m up front and I want to say his all in number was between $150-250m.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Anno posted:

They needed a headline player, because good lord look at the rest of this field. Wouldn’t be surprised if they paid him some astronomical amount to take the deal. Especially since it was just a few months ago that he publicly committed to the PGA.

My only real surprise is that headline player isn’t Bryson, and a little bit that Gooch took it. He seemed like he had a ton of tour winnings in his future.

Rumor is the amateurs got $6m upfront and $250k for every tournament they play in, plus whatever they win. DJ had to be $30m+.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Daric posted:

Rumor is the amateurs got $6m upfront and $250k for every tournament they play in, plus whatever they win. DJ had to be $30m+.

I can't find the tweet rn but I believe the rumor is something like 60 million this year and 75 the next (or vice versa)

The other one that stuck out at me was Kevin Na but apparently he's been wearing their logo for a bit so maybe I just missed it

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I think Na has been rumored to be into this thing from the jump. No Bubba, who also was, though. But a lot of these players have been basically confirmed for months now.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So capitalism and dictatorships ruining everything. Figures.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

And just like that like, DJ joins Phil in the, gently caress my legacy pay me club. You think Wayne would have talked to him about this.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
NLU and Reddit or all places made a good observation; there are some straight out of college players in there and that's what the PGA tour has to worry about. Losing Phil is a bit of a who cares scenario, but losing the literal next generation of players is a much bigger problem

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Shrapnig posted:

You're probably unconsciously or consciously aiming left to counter the slice so straight shots are going left of target.

A 165 yard 7 iron "equates" to about a 270 yard drive so yeah, you definitely have some driver gremlins.

Yeah I thought of that, it’s likely I’m closing the club face too much trying to get it straight vs the slice, and hitting it pure to the left instead. It’s really only a problem on my driver and 5W. Everything else is pretty straight unless it’s a total shank

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MustardFacial posted:

I have given away the 14 Kirkland balls in my bag, and returned the 3 boxes back to Costco after 2 years of playing with them and push slicing every tee shot thinking the problem was my swing when it was actually because the Kirkland balls spin like a motherfucker and if your face:club is even a bit off they're gone.

I found this out after I hit a Titleist Velocity ball I found on the course and even after knowingly hitting a bad shot it flew dead straight. (and then bought a box and did a direct head to head comparison on the R10)

The Titleist is so low spin though that it's hosed my chips (the previous ace card in my game). So now I'm on the hunt for a ball that is somewhere in the middle, but also cheap enough that I don't feel bad about sending it into the trees.

What balls do you guys play with?

Meant to ask earlier: How do you do with range balls? Same slice, same push?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

abigserve posted:

NLU and Reddit or all places made a good observation; there are some straight out of college players in there and that's what the PGA tour has to worry about. Losing Phil is a bit of a who cares scenario, but losing the literal next generation of players is a much bigger problem

I get a college player basically giving up ever playing on the PGA tour for guaranteed money. Although, the PGA tour is gonna be around a lot longer than the LIV tour so is it really worth giving up your chance of ever playing on The Tour for some quick cash?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mattfl posted:

I get a college player basically giving up ever playing on the PGA tour for guaranteed money. Although, the PGA tour is gonna be around a lot longer than the LIV tour so is it really worth giving up your chance of ever playing on The Tour for some quick cash?

Are they seriously going to permanently black-ball anyone who plays on the LIV for the rest of their careers?
What are they gonna do, strip their Q-cards?

Also is there a way to stream The Match later through TNT if I don't have cable? I mean I'm ok with STREAMS if that's ok to ask about, but if there's a way to essentially just PPV it reasonably I could do that too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think they've basically said they would do just that. Even for people without tour status now. What actually happens, now or in the (very likely) coming lawsuits, who knows.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

abigserve posted:

The Tour is made out of an outstanding player base that has the age span of what, 20-30 years? I don't see LIV being around that long, and even then, they would have to have 60+ mill fronting nobodies for 10 years? Don't think so, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
The PGA Tour constantly does some mind-bogglingly stupid things, but actually black-listing players who play in the LIV at all would be an all-timer even for them.

They have no choice at all right now but to publicly play hardball as much as possible as a means to mitigate the damage from their players jumping ship and to preserve their reputation, but they aren't actually going to tell someone like DJ or the college kid who turns out to be the next Justin Thomas that they can't play on the tour ever because they took $6M to play on the LIV for a year straight out of college. Doing that would be the quickest way to make sure the LIV sticks around as long as possible.

Let these guys make their money playing in watered down events to crowds that will surely dwindle over time and then welcome them back to the "real" professional golf tour where it will just boost the poo poo out of their ratings.

Best case scenario is that this whole thing just boosts overall interest in golf and gets the PGA Tour to step up their game when it comes to how they manage their talent, TV deals & coverage, prize pools, ...etc.