Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

david_a posted:

Ever since that casting was announced I’ve been trying to picture Walken as Wallace in BR2049. I don’t see a scenario where he isn’t better than Jared Leto.

Wallace was supposed to be played by David Bowie, and since Walken was already a replacement Bowie in A View to a Kill you're not too far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cacator posted:

Wallace was supposed to be played by David Bowie, and since Walken was already a replacement Bowie in A View to a Kill you're not too far off.

Well that would have been God drat amazing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

david_a posted:

Ever since that casting was announced I’ve been trying to picture Walken as Wallace in BR2049. I don’t see a scenario where he isn’t better than Jared Leto.

This is true of almost all Leto roles, though.

Cacator posted:

WHAT?!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This is Leto's best role

https://youtu.be/vzN3qO-qc8U

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
drat confusing to call him Leto in this thread of all threads, can we call him JustJared?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat confusing to call him Leto in this thread of all threads, can we call him JustJared?

Ha, good point.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Seems like Austin Butler is cast as feyd??

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

Seems like Austin Butler is cast as feyd??

Confirming the Deadline report from March, yes.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I haven't updated this in a while.

House Atriedes:
Duke Leto Atriedes

Jurgen Prochnow - Lynch

William Hurt - Series

Oscar Isaac - Villeneuve

Lady Jessica

Francesca Annis - Lynch

Saskia Reeves - Series

Alice Krige - Children of Dune

Rebecca Ferguson - Villeneuve

Paul Atriedes

Kyle MacLachlan- Lynch

Alec Newman - Series

Timothee Chalamet - Villeneuve

Gourney Halleck

Patrick Stewart - Lynch

P.H. Moriarty - Series

Josh Brolin - Villeneuve

Duncan Idaho

Richard Jordan - Lynch

James Watson - Series

Edward Atterton - Children of Dune

Jason Momoa - Villeneuve

Thufir Hawat

Freddie Jones - Lynch

Jan Vlasak - Series

Stephen McKinley Henderson - Villeneuve

Wellington Yueh

Dean Stockwell - Lynch

Robert Russell - Series

Chang Chen - Villeneuve

Alia

Alicia Witt - Lynch

Laura Burton - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

House Harkonnen:
Baron Vladmir Harkonnen

Kenneth McMillan - Lynch

Ian McNeice - Series

Stellan Skarsgard - Villeneuve

Piter DeVries

Brad Dourif - Lynch

Jan Unger - Series

David Dastmalchian - Villeneuve

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen

Sting - Lynch

Matt Keeslar - Series

Austin Butler - Villeneuve

Glossu Beast Rabban

Paul L Smith - Lynch

Laszlo Kish - Series

David Bautista - Villeneuve

Fremen:
Stilgar

Everett McGill - Lynch

Uwe Ochsenknecht - Series

Steven Berkoff - Children of Dune

Javier Bardem - Villeneuve

Chani

Sean Young - Lynch

Barbora Kodetova - Series

Zendaya - Villeneuve

Liet Kynes

Max Von Sidow - Lynch

Karel Dobry - Series

Shannon Duncan Brewster - Villeneuve

Shadout Mapes

Linda Hunt - Lynch

Jaroslava Siktancova - Series

Golda Rosheuvel - Villeneuve

Jamis

Judd Omen - Lynch

Christopher Lee Brown - Series

Babs Olusanmokun - Villeneuve

Harah

Molly Wryn - Lynch (Alan Smythee version)
N/A - Series

Gloria Obianyo - Villeneuve Was this ever established?

House Corrino:
Padisha Emperor Shaddam IV

Jose Ferrer - Lynch

Giancarlo Gianni - Series

Christopher Walken - Villeneuve

Princess Irulan

Virgina Madsen - Lynch

Julie Cox - Series

Florence Pugh - Villeneuve

Hasimir Fenrig

N/A - Lynch

Miroslav Taborsky - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Sian Phillips - Lynch

Zuzana Geislerova - Series

Charlotte Rampling - Villeneuve

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why is the new movie so beige

That's a distraction, though. I can't believe you're throwing the composer for Creepshow and Day of the Dead overboard like this

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Halloween Jack posted:

That's a distraction, though. I can't believe you're throwing the composer for Creepshow and Day of the Dead overboard like this

Wow I did not know that lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Alia

TBD - Villeneuve

wee Alia shows up briefly in the film in Paul's vision. I assume they'll recast her for the sequel but technically there is an actress (actor?) playing her.

You have failed. Please empty your desk on the way out

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Why is the new movie so beige

Sand is beige

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

kalel posted:

wee Alia shows up briefly in the film in Paul's vision. I assume they'll recast her for the sequel but technically there is an actress (actor?) playing her.

You have failed. Please empty your desk on the way out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRlSVUTy1LA&t=60s

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For as pretty good as the Children of Dune followup miniseries, oh man was that Dune miniseries... certainly something. Not bad, just... something. There are even dutch angles to the character portrait shots.

Ian McNeice was amazing though. He has been the only portrayal so far that hasn't like had the number one bullet point of "hey make him gross!" He made the Baron actually seem cunning and competent, something that really comes across in the book and doesn't really in both other adaptations. Of course the character has so little screen time in the most recent version that :shrug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sir not appearing in this film always makes me laugh.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

He was pretty good in The Thin Red Line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSQfhWKWIN4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jeeves posted:

For as pretty good as the Children of Dune followup miniseries, oh man was that Dune miniseries... certainly something. Not bad, just... something. There are even dutch angles to the character portrait shots.

Ian McNeice was amazing though. He has been the only portrayal so far that hasn't like had the number one bullet point of "hey make him gross!" He made the Baron actually seem cunning and competent, something that really comes across in the book and doesn't really in both other adaptations. Of course the character has so little screen time in the most recent version that :shrug:

He was so fuckin' awesome. I was surprised how barely present the Harkonnen's were in general in part 1 outside of the actual battle. I'm hoping there'll be more in part II because them going for the minimalist just pale bald folks in a cave look (for the richest planet in the empire?), I mean I didn't hate it but with so little screen time they could be any generic DTV sci-fi villain people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’ve been imagining that Ian McNeice was playing a time traveling Baron shouting news in Rome for about 15 years now and it still improves my viewing experience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ve been imagining that Ian McNeice was playing a time traveling Baron shouting news in Rome for about 15 years now and it still improves my viewing experience.

"RUFUS! Has slaves."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i thought DUNC was a real boring adaptation but man that casting thing really reminds me how many characters got spot on or interesting casting, just makes it a shame most of them didnt get to do anything.

I'd have loved to have seen more stilgar, thufir, yueh, rabban etc

its kinda an oddly paced film since plotwise barely anything happens in the part they chose, atriedes move to arrakis, get owned, paul flees, but there still isnt any time for the characters to breath despite being 5 hours long.
im still mystified why paul doesnt cry at the end, they were worried itd make him look like a wuss or something?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

He cries at the funeral, not when he kills Jammy Jamis.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You don't cast Timothee Chalamet if you're worried about the character looking like a wuss!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Will say Dune adaptations continue to have a 100% success rate at making me not understand why Duncan and Gurney aren't merged into one character.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Duncan is the cool dude hero friend

Gurney is the old grizzled ugly bastard sneering at the kids these days

It's a fine distinction but they're both basically two kinds of uncle

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, Gurney is going to tease you about being a scrawny kid but help you lift his weights. Gurney is going to chew you out for trying to lift his weights, they are too heavy, you are going to ruin your back. Try these slightly lighter weights.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Will say Dune adaptations continue to have a 100% success rate at making me not understand why Duncan and Gurney aren't merged into one character.

Duncan Halleck? Gurney Idaho? GURNCAN IDAHECK?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
lol gerkhin

edit jerkin' idaho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, Gurney is going to tease you about being a scrawny kid but help you lift his weights. Gurney is going to chew you out for trying to lift his weights, they are too heavy, you are going to ruin your back. Try these slightly lighter weights.

I think the fact you called both of them Gurney kinda proves that point

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Gurney in the miniseries is how I picture him now. P. H. Moriarty just looks mean and rough in a way that Patrick Stewart and James Brolin don’t.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Duncan is the sexiest man ever to exist. Watching him climb a mountain causes spontaneous orgasms. Gurney is the most soulful troubadour of all time, you will instantly start weeping if he sings a sad song. Their powers can't be combined, it would just be too much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

In the books sure, they're both great and distinct and you easily see the unique stuff their characters bring to the table. But in all the adaptations it's just like, here's the Duke's right hand man who's a great fighter and takes care to look after Paul whenever they can cause they like the kid. Also here's his other right hand man who's a great fighter and takes care to look after Paul whenever they can cause they like the kid, and neither gets a lot of time to breathe.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think casting Brolin and Momoa was a good choice, because those are very different actors with very different vibes and even if there isn't a ton of either character in the movie you understand how they're different. In the book there can be a lot of "wait which sword guy was the one with the instrument? Is this supposed to be Patrick Stewart or someone else?"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It should be noted that after the first book Ducan and Gurney go off in wildly different directions story wise so I understand why they would want to keep them separate if they have any desire to go past the first book.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

AnEdgelord posted:

It should be noted that after the first book Ducan and Gurney go off in wildly different directions story wise so I understand why they would want to keep them separate if they have any desire to go past the first book.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Book 2+ chat: I forget, is gurney even in the sequels? Does he survive the final battle?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
He becomes Jessica's consort in Children.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I know Gurney is in at least the first three books; beyond that I don't know for certain, but I don't think he does

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah he doesn't appear after Children where he and Jessica get together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

House Atreides is full of trained warriors, but they serve functions beyond that in the “family,” especially in regard to Paul.

As far as the film goes, Gurney is a grizzled hardass who is loyal but has little warmth. He’s a gruff old grandpa. Duncan feels nearly like an older brother and you get the sense that he’s the closest person to Paul after his parents. His death serves as the hardest punch, and you’d lose a lot if the only sacrifice in escape was the more distant Kynes.

Condensing both characters would also introduce awkward plotting hurdles. Who is serving as military advisor and training Paul while Gurnac is meeting the fremen? Or visa-versa. We could have an unnamed character do the introductions, but narratively that sort of thing is better handled by a known personality, especially in film.

The film isn’t really gaining much if anything in runtime if you do condense them. So what’s the point of losing the two personalities and the beat of sacrifice just because they both fight well?

(I’d agree that previous adaptations gave Duncan so little screen time that he was pointless, though)