Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a rewatch of Double or Nothing and saw Moxley with the most non-discreet blade I've seen in years. This is just after he ate the fire extinguisher which must have sealed the cut so he's decided to re-blade.

My question to those who know how the industry secrets like this work: Why the hell does he roll into the ring and proceed to put the giant scalpel into his jeans pocket and presumably not use it for the rest of the match (I can't spot any time after it was needed) instead of just tossing it under the ring? It's crazy to me that he/these guys are just getting around the whole match with unsheathed 4 inch scalpels in their pocket instead of utilising a plant/drop point or giving them to/getting them off one of the 10 or so refs that were working this match.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Are you sure that's not the fork he was stabbing Daddy Magic with earlier in the match? Hard to tell with shadows but the end closer to his hand looks like it has prongs.

I assume you don't throw a blade under the ring so some random stage hand doesn't accidentally grab a used blade. Usually it's a small piece of a razor blade and the ref may collect it after use.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

my wrestling question for the thread is what time is AEW showing Rampage tomorrow?

e. also that was Mox with the fork he was using earlier in the match, I think the blade was something else entirely

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, it's the fork? Huh! It full on looks like a prison shiv to me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
watching the videos the new aew jp twitter account is putting out to thank followers (https://twitter.com/AEW_jp/media) and KOR mentions he's wrestled in japan. i've watched barely any of this matches and zero from japan; does anyone have some recommendations both in general and from japan specifically?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

You got to watch his match with Shibata from KOPW 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vs kushida bosj finals

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Looten Plunder posted:

Blading Stuff

I was told during my time you either give the blade to the ref or it goes in your pocket so no marks see what's going on.

heck I bladed only once, stuck the thing in the tiny coke pocket of my black denim shorts I called "gear" and forgot about it. found it still in there many months later.

most blades are just like a tiny corner of razor blade wrapped up in tape, like 1/8th or less of an inch.. just a sliver of razor sticking out

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
mox keeps his blade in his left wrist tape. he isn't exactly subtle about it, but not quite as obvious as using a giant medical scalpel.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
mox sighed as he drew his scalpel

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What's the name of the indi wrestler that does the "softcore" matches with pillows and poo poo?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

In the 2016 Dead or Alive cage match in Dragon Gate, Naruki Doi and his heel tag partner YAMATO turned face at the beginning of the match only for him to turn heel and betray YAMATO at the end of the match, so like, 20 minutes.
Doi's one consistent trait throughout the years is betraying his friends, and nobody should be surprised when he does.

But goddamn I miss YAMADoi, they were probably my favorite tag team ever.

flatluigi posted:

watching the videos the new aew jp twitter account is putting out to thank followers (https://twitter.com/AEW_jp/media) and KOR mentions he's wrestled in japan. i've watched barely any of this matches and zero from japan; does anyone have some recommendations both in general and from japan specifically?
You really can't go wrong with reDRagon's 2014-2016 NJPW run. They were in the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag division, so any combination of them with TimeSplitters, Young Bucks, Roppongi Vice, or Sydal/Ricochet (and sometimes several of them in 4-ways) and you're going to get a drat good match, especially on big events in that time period like Wrestle Kingdom and Dominon.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Has there been like an "alternate cut" of a match? Or is it pretty much like "whatever was broadcasted is it"

Edit: second question, has one wrestler ever debut a new theme song for the express purpose of pissing someone off? Like think Fozzy covering Wild Thing and jericho making it his theme to piss Mox off

Sex Farm fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 3, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sex Farm posted:

Has there been like an "alternate cut" of a match?

WWE released a bunch of them on the network called Wrestlemania Theatre, they were really good especially the one for the Wrestlemania 30 main.

https://watch.wwe.com/episode/Best-of-WrestleMania-Theater-134386

You can get a taste of what it's like with this one (although the Wrestlemania Theatre cuts are the full matches):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pb3NfeykSg

Compare with the full match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKfdF5S0Cs

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 3, 2022

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

fez_machine posted:

WWE released a bunch of them on the network called Wrestlemania Theatre, they were really good especially the one for the Wrestlemania 30 main.

https://watch.wwe.com/episode/Best-of-WrestleMania-Theater-134386

You can get a taste of what it's like with this one (although the Wrestlemania Theatre cuts are the full matches):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pb3NfeykSg

Compare with the full match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKfdF5S0Cs

These were really cool and wish there was more of them on the network (rip)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

What's the name of the indi wrestler that does the "softcore" matches with pillows and poo poo?

Seth Rollins?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

mox keeps his blade in his left wrist tape. he isn't exactly subtle about it, but not quite as obvious as using a giant medical scalpel.

Yeah it was real easy to see him put it back in his tape on Dynamite (at least on fite) this week, I was even like "c'mon Mox that's two shows in a row you had your gig blade obviously on air"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Sega 32X posted:

Yeah it was real easy to see him put it back in his tape on Dynamite (at least on fite) this week, I was even like "c'mon Mox that's two shows in a row you had your gig blade obviously on air"

That one on Dynamite was like RIGHT THERE. lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Who was the first wrestler to blade?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
almost definitely pre-tv

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Who was the first wrestler to blade?

It has to be someone from like the 20s

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

flatluigi posted:

almost definitely pre-tv

The earliest reference to something akin to blading I can find is Sailor Watkins, who wrestled in the 30s & 40s. He'd use his teeth or fingernails that he grew out to get colour. On his opponent obviously.

Actually cutting your own forehead open? Danny McShain is the oldest name I can find, who wrestled from 1930 until the late 60s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Deliberate cutting probably goes all the way back to the Rossignol-Rollin circus troupe and other music-hall wrestling promotions in 19th century France. There was a match in 1867 where one guy fell on the wooden stairs and got a bloody face. We don't know for certain that it was worked, but since those French promotions had pretty much the same gimmicks and drama as today, it stands to reason that they were working matches with the same kinds of staged disasters.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 5, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Halloween Jack posted:

Deliberate cutting probably goes all the way back to the Rossignol-Rollin circus troupe and other music-hall wrestling promotions in 19th century France. There was a match in 1867 where one guy fell on the wooden stairs and got a bloody face. We don't know for certain that it was worked, but since those French promotions had pretty much the same gimmicks and drama as today, it stands to reason that they were working matches with the same kinds of staged disasters.

Is there any good resources about very old pro wrestling?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

This person has done a lot of research into old rear end wrestling http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=005363

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cool, thanks!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

have there been any commonly used spots or moves invented by a talent during their stint in WWE/F?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
IIRC, Dynamite Kid innovated both the superplex and the tombstone piledriver variation.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Pretty sure he was doing those in Stampede though. I *wanna* say that the Stunner is since all of the variations I know of before SCSA were opponent's face to the mat instead of the shoulder (Johnny Ace style).

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

EdsTeioh posted:

Pretty sure he was doing those in Stampede though. I *wanna* say that the Stunner is since all of the variations I know of before SCSA were opponent's face to the mat instead of the shoulder (Johnny Ace style).

i think Mikey Whipwreck's whippersnapper came first

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The People's Elbow has been so widely parodied/imitated that it might count.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

x-pac did a handful of bronco busters as 1-2-3 kid

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Halloween Jack posted:

The People's Elbow has been so widely parodied/imitated that it might count.

Thats just Mutas flashing elbow though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

have there been any commonly used spots or moves invented by a talent during their stint in WWE/F?

I think Morrisons Starship Pain was innovated in his time there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Thats just Mutas flashing elbow though
How many moves has Muta invented that other people have made dozens of variations on? I wonder who holds the record for doing that.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Nova, obviously (/sarcasm)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's your ideal three person commentary team? My limited experience goes right to prime Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay. King and Ross had a great dynamic but King is really gross.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm trying to think of announcers I liked less than Lawler, and not coming up with anything.

Ross, Heenan, and, uh, Mauro Ranallo.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's your ideal three person commentary team? My limited experience goes right to prime Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay. King and Ross had a great dynamic but King is really gross.

Excal, Taz, and Schiavone.

If Im allowed to mix and match, excal, taz, and pat macafee might be the best desk for me that never was, because even if the action wasnt great pat would be hyped for the intro and then taz/excal would do their podcast to take us through the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

How many moves has Muta invented that other people have made dozens of variations on? I wonder who holds the record for doing that.

It's most likely going to be one of the Joshis from the 90s.