Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

babypolis posted:

she knew the deep wanted to gently caress that octopus and resented it for it

Its this, his wife is also a psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just got done with the third episode, it's easy to forget how quickly this show hits you with random gore. Also, when I joked around saying that Homelander is probably doing sex stuff with a mutilated Stormfront, I didn't want it to actually happen.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 5, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It does ride the line a lot

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
for a bunch of people posting on the Home of Goatse ya'll sure are nerds

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cojawfee posted:

I just got done with the third episode, it's easy to forget how quickly this show hits you with random gore. Also, when I joked around saying that Homelander is probably doing sex stuff with a mutilated Stormfront, I didn't want it to actually happen.

It is great that I thought to myself "after That One Scene it's not that bad" and then remembered like four other cases of people getting turned to chunky salsa

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it's good for media to break people out of the infantile understanding of violence and the nature of power and privilege that they get from slop like the MCU, and even The Boys is cartoonish and humorous in its portrayal of violence despite it showing actual horror and consequences

like in the Better Call Saul thread where people thought the cartel in the show was unrealistically exaggerated in its violence when they're fuckin teletubbies compared to what real cartels get up to

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Boys violence is usually too over-the-top to be disturbing to me, it's like Team Fortress 2 violence. Although Tony and Timothy both had brutal deaths.

But yeah, I really hate consequence-free violence like Batman bonking a henchman on the head to harmlessly knock him unconscious, or Katniss shooting bad guys with a bow and arrow to kill them instantly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mameluke posted:

Well also Maeve only gave Butcher three vials, so I think we'll only see two more supe-up incidents this season.

I'm reasonably confident that given his pharmacological background, Frenchie could probably reverse engineer it and perhaps even make it better, given time.

Of course, that would necessitate Butcher copping to having the poo poo in the first place.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm reasonably confident that given his pharmacological background, Frenchie could probably reverse engineer it and perhaps even make it better, given time.

Of course, that would necessitate Butcher copping to having the poo poo in the first place.

No way. Something that costs $2 million a vial, and he's going to replicate it in a home lab? Without making Butcher's heart explode?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ep 2 was absolutely incredible. ep 3 wasn't as good but only because it was doing more setting up ofc. god so many dark scenes with anthony starr. give that man his EGOT

i love how they made Countess Crimson's acting intentionally really really bad to show you she was part of what happened to soldier boy

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thread could use a title change. Something about chimps, or timothy maybe.

Didn't see this mentioned yet. Karl Urban's acting and lines in the dream scene was some very well done, really dark, stuff. The delivery was spot-on.

LegoMan posted:

I fast forwarded through that part. They legit give me the creeps and coupled with a loving Brittney song, it was too much.

Same, but it was the dance routine :barf:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I fully admit that this is batshit insane to say about this show at this point, but between the "Nope nope nope-squirm" factor of the Ant-Man/dick gag and the mean-spiritedness of Homelander's forced suicide, the show is about an inch from losing me. I know, "You're upset about The Boys being mean spirited?!" What can I say, there's certain things that push weird buttons, and that did it for me. The hijacking scene was similar though I pushed through that.

These last 3 episodes were darker than the entirety of S1/S2 combined, imo. So it's not just you.

Not talking about the violence, that's pretty much up to par.

Butternubs posted:

I enjoy it the more mean spirited it gets, I think I just like the supes/billionaires analogy, once you have unlimited power(money) a lot of people do just turn into complete remorseless psychopaths and it's cathartic when they're lasered in half in an underground car park.

That was just sad. Butcher can't get Homelander, so he settles for a Z-lister while turning into Homelander himself.

itry fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 5, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The blips and pauses during the story telling in episode three were really great, they didn’t have to tell you it was artful, they just did it.

The relationships and how they deal with conflict is intriguing. Hughie and Starlight both have a reasonable perspective, and the way they react to each other is sometimes helpful but often furthers their differences. I think I’m a lot more sympathetic to Hughie than the rest of the thread, but his journey is rooted in powerlessness: this whole thing started when someone sprinted through his girlfriend.

I was particularly surprised by how MM and his exwife deal with each other. So many other shows would pose it as a question of “doing what’s right even when your spouse doesn’t understand”, but that’s not where the relationship is anymore.

The show may be heavy on gore, but I think it’s a stand in for trauma: violent decisions almost always end in grand Guignol. I think there’s too much sex, especially since it’s almost always exploitative and associated with drugs or perversion. We get it: superheroes love doing drugs and then loving.

I also like little Nina as a different take on a gang boss: instead of the “I’m going to kill you, ha ha ha work for me until you get the upper hand”, her tactics are psychological.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Something I just noticed is Ryan is wearing the young Clark Kent wardrobe. It reminded me of Smallville. He has the right colors and the flannel overshirt.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I can watch heads pop and oozy CGI blood'n'brains all day, but the pageant/Britney scene was one of the only times The Boys has legitimately grossed me out (by intent). It certainly makes its point about the general overall skeeviness of pageants. I can't even begin to fathom putting my daughter through that.

As for those doses, they must get more because didn't we see trailer footage of a suped-up Hugie and the others? Speaking of, did Hugie ever get powers in the comics?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Wee Bairns posted:

As for those doses, they must get more because didn't we see trailer footage of a suped-up Hugie and the others? Speaking of, did Hugie ever get powers in the comics?

Yes, in the comics they all took V, Hughie got not long after getting involved. They didn’t have any extra powers beyond strength and toughness however, no eye lasers.

Butcher grabbing the pistol and crushing it one-handed to reveal his strength was a little callback.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i keep thinking they're calling the congresswoman victoria newland

is she going to coup ukraine with her head exploding powers :ohdear:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My friend watched the first episode with a Grindr date and apparently it really killed the mood.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The worst thing is that some kid really had to sing that Britney Spears cover

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
If the bad CGI of the Timothy scene grossed you out, don’t seek out the original Oldboy.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

If the bad CGI of the Timothy scene grossed you out, don’t seek out the original Oldboy.

Choi Min-sik ate 4 live octopuses since it took 4 takes to get right, and he's a vegetarian.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Choi Min-sik ate 4 live octopuses since it took 4 takes to get right, and he's a vegetarian.

O.o

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Quick post cause i want to avoid spoilers,rewatching from the beginning(upto s2e4)

This show is SO loving good,stellar performances from everyone,hilarious background gags,great effects.

The fake chris hansen billy butcher segment with the exaggerated impersonation

The Deep stealing every scene

Transluscent sight gags like the floating skull cap and the invisible baby suit

Literally every homelander scene

Butcher trying to explain The Matrix

“You take the blue pill or was it the red one? Either way you take one and you quit bein’ a cahnt”.

Can’t wait to get into s3.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 5, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

"he's praying" made it worth it

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

itry posted:

That was just sad. Butcher can't get Homelander, so he settles for a Z-lister while turning into Homelander himself.

Gunpowder's rhetoric is certainly problematic but he did kill a bunch of Contras so who's to say if he's good or bad?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

This show is still great at giving me anxiety. Anytime Homelander is on screen there's a real possibility that something is getting hosed up.

Reminds me a lot of Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa, yea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't started this season yet but reviews like this make me pretty excited, and I'm not even gay

https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1533162040939859968

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wee Bairns posted:

In the comics, Compound V proliferates to the point where it's like a street-level drug.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It has been so long since I've heard that Brittney song so I was like "wait, are they doing a parody?" but then as the act kept going I started wondering "so considering what we are seeing here, would the girl really have gotten heckled and told to leave the stage in Little Miss Sunshine if it actually happened for real?"

I ask that more as someone who has avoided watching any actual beauty pageants or similar events. Do single-digit aged girls really do acts like that to the cheers from many adults?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Still getting caught up on the last so many pages

Thundercracker posted:

Also I loved young Mallory.

:yeah: Young Giancarlo Esposito wasn't quite as on point though

Wheeee posted:

I love to hate Ashley, she’s amazing and unlike the other villains in the show you’ve definitely met at least one of her before!

She really does a great job of being so unlikeable. I don't hate her like I do Joffrey or Homelander, but she plays that Marketing persona so drat well. Also lol @ the scene of her walking in on Homelander naked. And then getting hard as she tells him how good his ratings are

SpeakSlow posted:

Some part of my brain had shut-out how terrible kid pagents were all the way back when that John-Benet Boo Boo kid got fridged.

Then I was like, oh yeah those fucks....

In some ways it was grosser than the walk-in penis gag.

Fully agree, that scene made me far more uncomfortable than the EP1. EP1 just made me laugh and say :wtc: which was my reaction to the Invisible oval office's death in S1

Khanstant posted:

haha i skipped ahead through that part, skipped gross chewing, and then skipped through timothy's death. Re: Deep's wife, saw she was smiling about it, does she resent his sealife love or just like making him suffer or just wants to see him broken and integrated into the seven so she can have the fame/wealth along with it? I just don't really remember from last season.

Maybe I need to rewatch it again but I thought it was like a "We're sitting across from an absolute psycopath; smile and nod and play his game or we could all die"

tokin opposition posted:

for a bunch of people posting on the Home of Goatse ya'll sure are nerds

Unless the subject, or photographer of, of that picture is a goon is this really the home of goatse :thunk: (but yes lol @ "I had to close my eyes, that was his dickhole??" oh no I looked at a man butt did I catch the gay?)

Chamale posted:

The Boys violence is usually too over-the-top to be disturbing to me, it's like Team Fortress 2 violence. Although Tony and Timothy both had brutal deaths.

But yeah, I really hate consequence-free violence like Batman bonking a henchman on the head to harmlessly knock him unconscious, or Katniss shooting bad guys with a bow and arrow to kill them instantly.

It is comically over the top and doesn't bother me at all in most cases. Homelander crushing a guys head in up close and personal while getting a handy from Stormfront in S2 was more unsettling to me than just like the Head Popper doing their thing, or Ant Man and his boytoy

I already need to re-watch the last episode, I was a bit distracted at the end and really confused by #Homelight. Like did I actually miss a thing or is that a Tune In Next Week thing

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 5, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol check the cspam Epstein thread if you really want to see some poo poo

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Aces High posted:

It has been so long since I've heard that Brittney song so I was like "wait, are they doing a parody?" but then as the act kept going I started wondering "so considering what we are seeing here, would the girl really have gotten heckled and told to leave the stage in Little Miss Sunshine if it actually happened for real?"

I ask that more as someone who has avoided watching any actual beauty pageants or similar events. Do single-digit aged girls really do acts like that to the cheers from many adults?

Don't go down that hole.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Aces High posted:

Search your heart, you know the answer already.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing I thought was amusing was the revelation that Esposito has been trying for decades to score that sweet sweet defence contract and make Vought part of the military industrial complex and implicitly every scheme he has come up with in that time has failed horribly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Alchenar posted:

The thing I thought was amusing was the revelation that Esposito has been trying for decades to score that sweet sweet defence contract and make Vought part of the military industrial complex and implicitly every scheme he has come up with in that time has failed horribly.

I doubt the Contra fuckup was his idea. He wouldn't have been the CEO in the 1980s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chamale posted:

No way. Something that costs $2 million a vial, and he's going to replicate it in a home lab? Without making Butcher's heart explode?
At some point it's mentioned (maybe in the comics) that compound V costs like a nickel a dose. I get economy of scale and all that but even still, at that price point Frenchie could come up with something. I mean when they were trying to kill Translucent he magically happened to have some super armor piercing 50cal bullet around, and when they were planning to fight Stormfront he MacGyvered some EMP rockets.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Some baseless speculation:

I wonder if Soldier Boy defected to the USSR and Crimson Countess is covering for him?

Regarding season 2: was compound V developed by the Nazi's during WW2? Did they show Soldier Boy being active during the way, and if so, how did they develop his powers? I'm probably just forgetting or imagining the timeline.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Aces High posted:

ahahahaha oh we have such sights to show you

https://youtu.be/BQA8aCe9WMQ

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol when starlight says she wants silver kincaid (?) the muslim hero and ashley's like "but she's from af... ghan..i...stan?" made me lose it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is butcher going through withdrawal or is that just the side effects of the drug? How is the military going to use that to fight wars when all their soldiers are throwing up the next several days? Though that would be a sight to see on the battlefield. Dudes shooting laser eyes and then throwing up as they run across the field, shrugging off bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

Chamale posted:

If you think charging the military 2 million dollars for something means it costs 2 million dollars I have some incredibly bad news for you.