Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Edgar said he's not worried about homelander because he has a way to control him - do we know what that was? Was it stormfront?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Think Less posted:

In the comics, Black Noir turns out to be a Homelander clone and kills him

It...doesn't seem like they're going that route.

to this may i add, hell yes and thank god

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Horizon Burning posted:

Edgar said he's not worried about homelander because he has a way to control him - do we know what that was? Was it stormfront?

Its probably homelanders weakness to having his head exploded from the inside, but no we don't know.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn't Stan imply to Annie that she knew full well what is was? He could be over sure of the strength of embarrassing footage

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

Is he indirectly in control of Ryan? Butcher knew where he was, and Butcher was answering to Neuman's agency

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Horizon Burning posted:

Edgar has probably thought of hundreds of scenarios where Homelander kills them. He’s probably thought of them for 40 years, with the richest consultants he could afford. He might die, but he won’t be truly surprised. Nobody can cover up that many murders and be like “well it will never happen to me!”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
consultants are highly paid yes-men wrapped in the veneer of technical expertise to justify things that executives want to do anyway and are always wrong

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
guys the research came back, turns out we should cut wages by 20%. that'll be $300,000 please.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nope, half the time consultants have good ideas that the corporation is too dysfunctional to use. Both sides of the chicken need to be functional for a consultant to help, which barely ever happens. And if it does, people don’t put out a press release “we’re changing our company because we hired a consultant“.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If I were a consultant I'd just interview all the lower level employees who actually do the work and then steal their ideas.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

voodoonoid posted:

One thing I have noticed is there is a lot of Maeve being absent.

The actress lived in Ireland and apparently it was hard to get much filming in with COVID.

It's a shame because she's one of my favourites and schedules willing she'd likely be involved a bunch more now that she is working with Butcher.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Horizon Burning posted:

Edgar controls Homelander through his ego and narcissism. He can give and take what Homelander craves the most: the love of the public. He controls Vought which controls the PR and marketing around Homelander.

Of course that only works as long as Homelander wants to be loved more than he cares about being feared...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just finished episode 3. Excellent so far

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I am always already eating the octopus, the octopus of ideology*sniffs, extends prehensile penis*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Who do you think most deserves to be the one to kill Homelander? Butcher? Maeve? Who is gonna be the one to finally end the madman once and for all?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Who do you think most deserves to be the one to kill Homelander? Butcher? Maeve? Who is gonna be the one to finally end the madman once and for all?

stormfront nugget redemption arc

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

His son makes sense for what kind of show this is, but the funniest would be The Deep

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Aye Doc posted:

stormfront nugget redemption arc

She’s either coming back later or that actor is extremely dedicated to portraying a Nazi have a humiliating death.

I’m also going to bet a shiny new quarter that we’ll get to see what happens when a Supe gets dosed with Temp V.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Golden Bee posted:

Nope, half the time consultants have good ideas that the corporation is too dysfunctional to use. Both sides of the chicken need to be functional for a consultant to help, which barely ever happens. And if it does, people don’t put out a press release “we’re changing our company because we hired a consultant“.

so either the consultant is usually useless or he's wrong? and there's no negative consequences either way? but there are SOME times when they work but we don't know about it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Golden Bee posted:

His son makes sense for what kind of show this is, but the funniest would be The Deep

God this really would be the best, and the Timothy scene sets it up perfectly lol

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Deserves? Ryan.

I think it'll be Hughie when all is said and done for maximum irony or he'll just off himself accidentally in an act of hubris. Thing is I honestly have absolutely no idea how it's going to wind up, which is great.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

crepeface posted:

so either the consultant is usually useless or he's wrong? and there's no negative consequences either way? but there are SOME times when they work but we don't know about it

Capitalism is the most efficient economic system in human history

Jk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Probably it'll be sorta like the comics and Butcher kills Homelander (well his clone in the comics) and Hughie kills Butcher

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

crepeface posted:

The consequence of bad consulting is hundreds or thousands of people being laid off to improve profitability for the quarter. The ideal consultant never gets fired and keeps earning six figures until they get bored and run a vanity presidential campaign.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yes the point is that there are no negative consequences for the consultant being wrong

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It is a little weird if he's the main backup, as he is just a kid who would need a mix of training and motivation against someone who already easily kills people like it's nothing.

I thought the backup was the head popper, mostly because it would be framed as something non Vought related that they could work to their advantage.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PostNouveau posted:

If I were a consultant I'd just interview all the lower level employees who actually do the work and then steal their ideas.

That's literally all good consulting firms do; interview the people doing useful work, and then wrap their actual useful tips and trick in a power point to present to upper management in a way that will politely circumvent the middlemanagement who have been ignoring those suggestions for years.

Glad I could clear that up, that will be $1500. Don't worry I'll send an invoice to your secretary.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think we've ever seen Homelander the least bit concerned about the heads exploding or even curious about why it's happening. I don't think he knows who does it either unless I missed a scene.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Maybe it's a nuke

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think we've ever seen Homelander the least bit concerned about the heads exploding or even curious about why it's happening. I don't think he knows who does it either unless I missed a scene.

I've a feeling in this particular case the only thing Homelander knows/cares about is "my head hasn't exploded yet," and "whoever's doing it is a supe which means they're one of my kind, not theirs." We're seeing that "Us vs. Them" narrative start to form in his head, and I thought I heard that they're going to feature SOME form of "Herogasm" in this season which will make everything else we've seen thus far probably pale in comparison.

I do hope that we get 'supe-seeking missiles' from the comic's 'showdown' scene over Washington and A-10s blowing fliers apart with 30mm DU rounds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

M_Gargantua posted:

Glad I could clear that up, that will be $1500. Don't worry I'll send an invoice to your secretary.

Okay but please do it before I fire them like you recommended, I can't rely on the high school dropout replacement I'm hiring to do that job plus 3 others for half the pay to get it right. Nobody takes pride in their work anymore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know we're all making GBS threads on Hughie, for good reason, but he didn't even hesitate to have his arm broken so he could go with the team to see CIA lady.

Pity it doesn't make him any less of a turd in every other way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know we're all making GBS threads on Hughie, for good reason, but he didn't even hesitate to have his arm broken so he could go with the team to see CIA lady.

I have to say that Hughie is where the show is really dropping the ball. That being said, I think most of us who read the comic are/were expecting Hughie to be Butcher's emotional and moral "check and balance," which he very well might have been...in the year that's passed since last season that we never saw.

Now, he's just an annoyingly neurotic boyfriend who is pathologically afraid of betrayal and...having a beautiful girlfriend who's stronger and more powerful than he is? What's next, Hughie "going his own way?"

I mean, every other character in the show has positive character development so far this season, even Homelander is doing amazing at becoming the "bad guy." Hughie is just spinning his wheels.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 6, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On the Stormfront front I'm expecting that she's been taken to a Vaught facility by a bunch of her fellow true believers and will be back after a bath in some green goo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In season 2 when the Senate popping was going on, he was just basically looking around like "Huh, this is new". I think he's been king poo poo of the planet long enough to not be worried about anything harming him.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Megillah Gorilla posted:

He also didn’t hesitate telling Butcher that his boss was the Big Bad, even though he knew he’d eat poo poo over it. I was expecting that poo poo to be dragged out all season, but that expectation was subvert.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have to say that Hughie is where the show is really dropping the ball. That being said, I think most of us who read the comic are/were expecting Hughie to be Butcher's emotional and moral "check and balance," which he very well might have been...in the year that's passed since last season that we never saw.

Now, he's just an annoyingly neurotic boyfriend who is pathologically afraid of betrayal and...having a beautiful girlfriend who's stronger and more powerful than he is? What's next, Hughie "going his own way?"

I don’t think a fear of betrayal is unreasonable, considering how many times Hughie has almost been splattered. Multiple times per season he’s been threatened, directly or indirectly, by members of the seven or their affiliates. He’s repeatedly been covered in human viscera.

It’s not that Starlight is stronger or more powerful. It’s like dating Beyoncé if she could benchpress a truck. Her q rating makes her one of the most popular people on the planet; she has multiple movies, TV shows, and public appearances all the time. And their relationship, which was manipulated by Butcher who almost assassinated her, has repeatedly placed them in mortal peril.

That’s why we get uptown girl twice: he’s out of his league with a girl he loves cuz he can’t perform the typical American role of “boyfriend/protector/breadwinner“. And turns out his boss is the exact same way, capable of killing him instantaneously.

It’s not notable that Hugh is freaking out pretty much constantly. It might be the most realistic part of the show. And his tangible insecurity is provoking choices from Starlight. That’s why we’re getting a lot of screen time and flashbacks from her.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 6, 2022

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

M_Gargantua posted:

On the Stormfront front I'm expecting that she's been taken to a Vaught facility by a bunch of her fellow true believers and will be back after a bath in some green goo

I'll go one further (comics spoiler, kinda) They pump her full of V and she turns out like lamplighter in the comics.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm still not entirely sure he's not playing Starlight. He didn't magically go from "do you know how much racist poo poo I had to eat/put up with" to "oh wow you're totally right I wanna help you bring all of this down and have your back" THAT loving quickly. Homelander is still going to kill him, though - because he'll be on *Vought's* team, not his.
I feel like the only way he is going to be earnestly A Good Guy is if the show wants to defy the trope, because otherwise it would be a bit boring if he actually was exactly as shown - a nice guy from Starlight's path, dedicated to having her back. Also, no offence to the actor, but he has the quintessential look of a douchebro who turns on the character the audience likes. I feel like the likely outcome is that Homelander has already gotten to him and has essentially recruited him to be his eyes and ears, with the promise of supplanting Starlight (he's already said that joining the Seven was a lifelong dream). Obviously Homelander will betray him at some point as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I hope Supersonic isn’t a shithead just because it’s a boring trope when the hot guy the protagonist is jealous of is a douchebag, solving the problem of the love triangle instantly.