Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Definitely very cool, and I love the colouring. I did think it was the head of a mech at first though. I love the use of the helicopter canopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Skios posted:

Definitely very cool, and I love the colouring. I did think it was the head of a mech at first though. I love the use of the helicopter canopy.

:same:
I thought it was a Tau thing before I clicked.
Still very dope. I'm a sucker for scifi space ships.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean it could still be...

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Speed Champions words time. Not a response to any specific person, but some general info on the theme as I understand it.

The ones retiring are not the "current run" - well, in the sense that they are currently still being produced, sure - but they are not the latest, or most current, 2022 models. They are the 2021 models, the second year of 8-wide production.

How cars get chosen:

In the early days of Speed Champions, the decision of what car(s) would be made into a set was largely in the hands of the manufacturers. In older interviews, LEGO stated that almost all the specific deals came from manufacturers approaching them with specific cars that they wanted made into sets. Typically, this was done with cross marketing in mind, so of course modern cars received far more focus because those are the ones the makes were pushing. In recent years, the Speed Champions team has far more autonomy. I'm not sure at exactly which point this transition happened, but in the 8-wide era, LEGO has much more frequently been able to choose specific cars that they wish to build in LEGO - ones that they think would translate particularly well. So why did LEGO bother making a Koenigsegg Jesko? Was it due to pressure from Koenigsegg? No, it's because they saw that distinctive rear wing situation and thought it would look great in LEGO, so they set up the license and built the car.

That said, auto manufacturers still have influence. IIRC LEGO simply wished to build the new Ford Bronco, but influence from Ford is why it ended up as the R variant specifically. Keeping this in mind, a manufacturer has essentially no reason to promote a defunct brand. To date, we have yet to see a car from a brand / line that does not exist anymore, such as Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, or AMC. There's nothing stopping this from happening in the future, though, if LEGO wishes to pursue this and creates a convincing enough argument for doing so. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Who is this theme for:

The very intent behind the theme has changed over the years, too. When the theme debuted, it was in the 6-wide scale at least partially so that the cars could be dropped into minifig scale City layouts - this according to information from a Flickr post by LEGO designer Adam Grabowski. Over time, the focus changed to prioritize making accurate models of cars - models, moreso than toys. At that point, with scale compatibility no longer being important to the designers, moving to 8-wide made all the sense in the world. This transition happened around the same time as the introduction / push of 18+, and so another design ethos rose: these cars should have a build experience akin to a tiny Creator Expert set (according to a NewE interview with designer Christopher Stamp). They could be as complex and intricate as the designers wanted. With this new focus on the rise, the consideration of playability (like, as a playset) continued to recede. Side builds such as trophy stands, starting gates, and tool carts became less and less frequent, disappearing entirely in 2021.

Two packs have another specific purpose: cross-generational appeal. The idea is, a 2-pack will ideally consist of a car that's more appealing to a younger person, and a car that's more appealing to an older person, with the hope that it leads to parents building along with their children. Often, this takes the form of newer car / older car, but it doesn't always play out that way. This logic also kind of falls off when both cars in a 2-pack are newer, such as the 2021 Lambo set or the 2022 Mercedes set, so perhaps the intention behind 2-packs is changing, too. If that's the case, I do wonder what they're now trying to achieve, beyond "these two cars are from the same brand, so may as well throw 'em in a set together."

Other changes over time:

Speed Champions has introduced a lot of new pieces to the LEGO library. We have the theme to thank for various complex wheel arches, wheels and covers, tires, curved wedge slopes, chassis pieces, windscreens, axles, and more. Lately, the theme has taken a look at various specific areas of focus on a per-year basis. In 2020, the focus was on introducing the 8-wide scale with the introduction of new windscreens, axles, and a chassis. In 2021, the focus was on wheels, with the introduction of dual molded low profile wheels, which can fit 2 x 2 round elements within them, allowing for printed wheel covers and more general compatibility with the system. In 2022, the focus was on headlights and taillights: every single 2022 set has lights that are either printed or brick built, so sticker-adverse fans can still have complete-looking cars. Very interested to see what else changes for the 2023 sets. My best guess would be a continued shift away from stickers in general, like they did for headlights, to (hopefully) the point where stickers would be entirely optional on builds - in other words, all critical detailing would be brick-built or printed. This is an area they have stated that they have received, uh, a ton of feedback about.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 6, 2022

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Olpainless posted:

Never not starfighter.

'Kitsune' Long-Range Fighter

Full gallery at https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72177720299567406

Very slick.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Neat read, Carbo! :) Thanks!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Selling some more Lego sets at reasonable prices, but feel free to take out your anger on me for having multiple Bespin Duel sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

I finished building the pickup and I highly recommend it. It's a pleasure to build from start to finish. Every section has at least one interesting build technique. It looks really good when completed, too.

Also you can hum the Sanford and Son theme to yourself while building it and looking at it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Carbohydrates posted:

Speed Champions words time. Not a response to any specific person, but some general info on the theme as I understand it.

The ones retiring are not the "current run" - well, in the sense that they are currently still being produced, sure - but they are not the latest, or most current, 2022 models. They are the 2021 models, the second year of 8-wide production.

How cars get chosen:

In the early days of Speed Champions, the decision of what car(s) would be made into a set was largely in the hands of the manufacturers. In older interviews, LEGO stated that almost all the specific deals came from manufacturers approaching them with specific cars that they wanted made into sets. Typically, this was done with cross marketing in mind, so of course modern cars received far more focus because those are the ones the makes were pushing. In recent years, the Speed Champions team has far more autonomy. I'm not sure at exactly which point this transition happened, but in the 8-wide era, LEGO has much more frequently been able to choose specific cars that they wish to build in LEGO - ones that they think would translate particularly well. So why did LEGO bother making a Koenigsegg Jesko? Was it due to pressure from Koenigsegg? No, it's because they saw that distinctive rear wing situation and thought it would look great in LEGO, so they set up the license and built the car.

That said, auto manufacturers still have influence. IIRC LEGO simply wished to build the new Ford Bronco, but influence from Ford is why it ended up as the R variant specifically. Keeping this in mind, a manufacturer has essentially no reason to promote a defunct brand. To date, we have yet to see a car from a brand / line that does not exist anymore, such as Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, or AMC. There's nothing stopping this from happening in the future, though, if LEGO wishes to pursue this and creates a convincing enough argument for doing so. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Who is this theme for:

The very intent behind the theme has changed over the years, too. When the theme debuted, it was in the 6-wide scale at least partially so that the cars could be dropped into minifig scale City layouts - this according to information from a Flickr post by LEGO designer Adam Grabowski. Over time, the focus changed to prioritize making accurate models of cars - models, moreso than toys. At that point, with scale compatibility no longer being important to the designers, moving to 8-wide made all the sense in the world. This transition happened around the same time as the introduction / push of 18+, and so another design ethos rose: these cars should have a build experience akin to a tiny Creator Expert set (according to a NewE interview with designer Christopher Stamp). They could be as complex and intricate as the designers wanted. With this new focus on the rise, the consideration of playability (like, as a playset) continued to recede. Side builds such as trophy stands, starting gates, and tool carts became less and less frequent, disappearing entirely in 2021.

Two packs have another specific purpose: cross-generational appeal. The idea is, a 2-pack will ideally consist of a car that's more appealing to a younger person, and a car that's more appealing to an older person, with the hope that it leads to parents building along with their children. Often, this takes the form of newer car / older car, but it doesn't always play out that way. This logic also kind of falls off when both cars in a 2-pack are newer, such as the 2021 Lambo set or the 2022 Mercedes set, so perhaps the intention behind 2-packs is changing, too. If that's the case, I do wonder what they're now trying to achieve, beyond "these two cars are from the same brand, so may as well throw 'em in a set together."

Other changes over time:

Speed Champions has introduced a lot of new pieces to the LEGO library. We have the theme to thank for various complex wheel arches, wheels and covers, tires, curved wedge slopes, chassis pieces, windscreens, axles, and more. Lately, the theme has taken a look at various specific areas of focus on a per-year basis. In 2020, the focus was on introducing the 8-wide scale with the introduction of new windscreens, axles, and a chassis. In 2021, the focus was on wheels, with the introduction of dual molded low profile wheels, which can fit 2 x 2 round elements within them, allowing for printed wheel covers and more general compatibility with the system. In 2022, the focus was on headlights and taillights: every single 2022 set has lights that are either printed or brick built, so sticker-adverse fans can still have complete-looking cars. Very interested to see what else changes for the 2023 sets. My best guess would be a continued shift away from stickers in general, like they did for headlights, to (hopefully) the point where stickers would be entirely optional on builds - in other words, all critical detailing would be brick-built or printed. This is an area they have stated that they have received, uh, a ton of feedback about.

That was an awesome write-up. Thanks! :tipshat:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Carbohydrates posted:

How cars get chosen:

Who is this theme for:

Other changes over time:

I can only wholeheartedly agree with this post, especially the last bit about the piece library. It (and cars in general, to be honest) been the jumping off point for basically every good piece in the past few years. They're also great sets for piece-per-money value, especially fun detail bits.

They're one of the few things I'll build before taking apart and putting to the parts bins, just for the build experience and learning techniques.

HootTheOwl posted:

:same:
I thought it was a Tau thing before I clicked.
Still very dope. I'm a sucker for scifi space ships.

The orange/yellow/white really does scream Tau, doesn't it? I'd be interested in doing a build or two based on them sometime.

Skios posted:

The Bloop posted:

I mean it could still be...

Cheers!

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 6, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Finally got the SC Lambo, looking forward to a li’l Lego time tonight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I picked up some Lego books from the library by DK , how to build cars and houses

One useful thing was pg 23 of the cars book about geometry. I'm sure you all know it but nice to see

Driver only: 4 studs wide
Driver and passenger - 7
With extra arm room 8
Roof height:
Standing with hat - 15
Standing,high hair 14
Standing, hair 13
Standing, no hair 12 (looks like stud on top fits into plate above)
Seated with hair : over 10
Seated no hair: 10

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if the F1 Mercedes was included in a two pack because it was a bit short on pieces to meet the regular price point.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

smackfu posted:

I wonder if the F1 Mercedes was included in a two pack because it was a bit short on pieces to meet the regular price point.

I really want that F1 car but have zero interest in the other build.

Could have given us another minifig and have both a Valterri and a Lewis or something if they wanted to meet a price point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that forestman set coming out this month or was that a rumor?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Yeah, it's looking like it'll be a gift with purchase of $150 or more between June 15th and 22nd. Or more realistically the first few hours that it's available on the 15th.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Falconbricks/status/1534086205851189249

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

loving hell :eyepop:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Get a couple of sets, build one of these

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:stare:
https://twitter.com/ancient_james/status/1534011294697033728

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

But does it run DOOM?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I must have it. If they could work it off the wireless lighting base, that would be amazing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

But does it run DOOM?!

Give it a couple of days.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wanted to go find the hand drawn leak for a side-by-side

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyone seen my tape measure?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
It's officially up on the store now along side the new Lego Icon's branding / sub theme.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/loop-coaster-10303

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dammit. I was looking forward to not spending another $400 on LEGO.

E: assuming you want it to run automatically you are looking at another $50 for the battery pack and another $20-$40 for the motor. If it even uses one. So this set is easily past $500 after tax. Yuck.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 7, 2022

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Shut up and take my money. Amazing.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

RatHat posted:

Lego sets retiring by the end of the year, with some retiring even sooner at the end of July. Pick them up ASAP if you want them.

Thank you, a perfect excuse to buy some more plastic bricks for my retirement portfolio.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thankfully 400 is so clearly too high I won't be able to talk myself into buying it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waltzing Along posted:

Dammit. I was looking forward to not spending another $400 on LEGO.

E: assuming you want it to run automatically you are looking at another $50 for the battery pack and another $20-$40 for the motor. If it even uses one. So this set is easily past $500 after tax. Yuck.

Just as the XL motor is retiring..... hrm....

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally found the bin with the last of my Classic Space guys, so now I can get a nice rainbow collection going.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Finally found the bin with the last of my Classic Space guys, so now I can get a nice rainbow collection going.

This absolutely loving rocks. Shame about missing tanks and new style helmets*, but I totally dig what you've put together.

* Believe me, I know Lego's only bringing back Classic Space helmets sometime after the heat death of the universe, but a boy can dream.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sexual Lorax posted:

This absolutely loving rocks. Shame about missing tanks and new style helmets*, but I totally dig what you've put together.

* Believe me, I know Lego's only bringing back Classic Space helmets sometime after the heat death of the universe, but a boy can dream.

They brought them back for that 4 pack from a year or two ago. Also if that classic space reboot set is real I'd assume they will be in there too.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

They brought them back for that 4 pack from a year or two ago. Also if that classic space reboot set is real I'd assume they will be in there too.

The what the when now? Ooooohhhh the Lego Movie 2 thing. I forgot buying a few of those. So we know the mold works, dammit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sexual Lorax posted:

The what the when now? Ooooohhhh the Lego Movie 2 thing. I forgot buying a few of those. So we know the mold works, dammit.

It's not the same mold, they beefed up the chin bar a bunch. So they actually made a brand new one at some point.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

I ended up building the Lamborghini Countach MOC (this one) and had a couple thoughts. The original Lego 911 build is a little bit sturdier (though the Lambo is solid, I don't know how well it would hold up with somebody playing with it a lot) and makes use of quite a few more pieces than the MOC. The engine cover, spoiler, roof, and frunk cover all lift up to show more details (though due to some piece limitations the engine and such aren't as high quality as the 911 build was). The build process was very similar to the 911; if you started with that, then took it apart and rebuilt it for the Lambo like I did, you'll definitely notice similarities (including a couple nearly identical assemblies, like for the steering). Overall, a very good reproduction of a very good looking car.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That Lego Movie 2 four pack only had 3 of the classic helmet's new mold. Benny's helmet was the 'precracked' version. However there was a blue one in a ninjago set. And that Mickey and Minnie set uses black ones for their noses.

Pretty sure there are at least three versions of that helmet. The original being really fragile, another that is less fragile, and the robust one from the Lego Movie 2 sets.

Edit: Here are some pictures.
This one is the most fragile, so I assume the earliest.

On the left is another one that I assume is the intermediate, note the raised area along the jaw line. So far as I can tell Bricklink doesn't distinguish between this one and the previous. On the right is the LM2 version.

Sorry I couldn't do side by side by side, I can't seem to find one of them at the moment.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 8, 2022

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

a2 78-86
b1 84-86
b2 79-87
2446 84-2022

There's an a1 on bricklink described as thin chin strap which I believe is the real original. It's been quite a few years since the 80s so my memory ain't perfect.

Edit: Found one of my originals. It might be the a2 after all.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Yeah, a2 was the original from the first space sets. a1 might've been a prototype?