Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I continue to get texts addressing me by a specific name and asking if I'll sell them a specific property. Googling the name, they appear to be both a real person and a former owner of the address.

I've been getting miscellaneous robo voicemails--as in different scams--addressed to the same person for years. I wish I could figure out how the hell my number got crossed with his name, because it'd be a hell of a way to gently caress with people I don't like.

Start replying with hello.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Salt Fish posted:

lol that's hilarious

Which slurs did you use?

Racist, sexist, and homophobic ones.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Volmarias posted:

Start replying with hello.jpg

Invite her to a Lemon Party at the address.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I continue to get texts addressing me by a specific name and asking if I'll sell them a specific property. Googling the name, they appear to be both a real person and a former owner of the address.

I've been getting miscellaneous robo voicemails--as in different scams--addressed to the same person for years. I wish I could figure out how the hell my number got crossed with his name, because it'd be a hell of a way to gently caress with people I don't like.

I have two of these.

One is a deeply conservative MAGA named Roy.

One is a very devout Muslim woman named Mirna.

It leads to a very strange cross-section of spam texts/calls.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It wasn't a scam per se, but I once got a phonecall where the caller ID said it was coming from FRIDAY JUMBO, so I just let it ring. A few minutes later a I got a voicemail from a friendly-sounding man with a West African accent who said "Hello, my name is Friday Jumbo, you probably weren't expecting this call" and he invited me to attend a church service.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I keep getting calls supposedly from Comcast telling me there's some issue in my home they need to look at but when I call the COmcast # and talk to an operator about it they say no. Weird thing is, the robo auto answer recording says there IS a problem. But I'm not having any internet problems so...?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BiggerBoat posted:

I keep getting calls supposedly from Comcast

It's like Inception, but for scams

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BiggerBoat posted:

I keep getting calls supposedly from Comcast telling me there's some issue in my home they need to look at but when I call the COmcast # and talk to an operator about it they say no. Weird thing is, the robo auto answer recording says there IS a problem. But I'm not having any internet problems so...?

They probably just leave "we are experiencing higher than call volume due to connection outages" on loop regardless of what's happening in the world. It's probably a scam.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Volmarias posted:

They probably just leave "we are experiencing higher than call volume due to connection outages" on loop regardless of what's happening in the world. It's probably a scam.

At the same time, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if, whether or not a customer realizes it, something is wrong with their Comcast service. It’s just that likely.

For example, my account has a phantom cable box on it. They don’t charge me for it, it’s labeling can’t be changed, and it always shows up in the list, so now, “Living Room 2” is my living room box.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ok what's the scam?

I get 5-10 invites to connect from rando Chinese people on Linkedin per week. People whom I've never had any contact with. Some kind of spying thing? Fake accounts trying to get connections so they look real? Two people with completely different names but the same photo claiming to be SpaceX Director of Energy Data. Which I'm pretty sure is not a position that actually exists. They also all seem to either withdrawal their invitation or delete their profiles after a few days too.

e: Just checked, literally dozens upon dozens of invites from Chinese people with deleted profiles. The only invites from profiles that still exist are from non-Chinese people.

ee: Oh ok. After Googling, seems like most likely it's Nigerians with fake accounts targeting Chinese people with your standard check/wire transfer scams. Usually involving some kind of job offer.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 14, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

At the same time, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if, whether or not a customer realizes it, something is wrong with their Comcast service. It’s just that likely.

The wireless gateway you rent from Comcast is a broken piece of poo poo. It came that way in the box.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Apparently all modern Discover cards start with 6011 20. They're in the form

6011 20AA AAAA AAAC

where A is the account number and C is a check digit at the end. Not sure if they have a way to verify the check digit, but I've got a good fake number prepared for next time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

6011 20AA AAAA AAAC

where A is the account number and C is a check digit at the end. Not sure if they have a way to verify the check digit, but I've got a good fake number prepared for next time.

The check digit is basically a checksum, it's not a secret. Here's how they're generated

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Zamujasa posted:

The check digit is basically a checksum, it's not a secret. Here's how they're generated

Thank you sir, I now have a fully valid number ready for next time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

6011 20AA AAAA AAAC

The fifth and sixth digits can be things other than 20 now. The rest of what you said is accurate. It's why Discover is popular with scammers, they'll say "OK, read me the rest of the card number for your Discover beginning with 6011."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was at the bar and a guy asks, do you take discover? No? Do you take cash? No? OK. I guess I'll wait for my girlfriend.

I was shocked that would be someone's primary card.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My current primary is a Discover. I have a VISA for a backup, but now that you mention it, it's been a couple years now since the last time I needed it. Businesses not accepting Discover used to be pretty common but I haven't encountered one in a long time now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I got a Discover card about two years ago and I was shocked at how many places take it. I always thought of Disover as Visa/MCs poor hillbilly cousin, but apart from Costco (Visa only) pretty much everywhere else accepted it. It's much more likely to be accepted than, say, AmEx.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Iirc, Discover's merchant fees are lower than visa/mc (and Amex is the highest), so it's usually a case of no good reason not to take it as a merchant.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
It used to be that Amex and Discover had higher merchant processing fees. They finally saw sense and brought the fees in line with Visa/MC so most places take them now.

Interestingly Discover has really marketed themselves in China as the card Americans use. I've met Chinese students that got one to use while studying in the USA and were surprised that acceptance is spotty.

unknown posted:

Iirc, Discover's merchant fees are lower than visa/mc (and Amex is the highest), so it's usually a case of no good reason not to take it as a merchant.

NVM I guess discover did lower fees? My memory on this stuff is spotty.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 25, 2022

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Discover is also pretty popular in parts of Eastern Europe.

Much of western Europe had already tied their card payment infrastructure to mostly Mastercard (via Maestro debit card implementations that the big banks set up national consortiums with their own branding for), but Eastern Europe was completely virgin territory when those markets opened up. So you'll see adoption rates for Discover in countries like Croatia that are super high compared to North America or Western Europe

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just checking, published interchange fees are in line with Visa/MC, but if doing bundled fees type pricing, discover edged out a bit, so maybe there's some backend discounting happening. :shrug:

Traditionally (decades ago) Amex always charged the most because they had the high net worth clients. Discover had business card/travelers (standard joe type travelers who didn't have a big expense account), so they could get away with higher fees because hotels/restaurants accepted it. On the personal card front Visa had North America, and Mastercard was Europe/elsewhere. Obviously that's changed and not true any more and everyone has a bit of everything.

Business cards aren't like the past (they generally are personally liable now days as it's too easy to bankrupt a company after maxing out the cards), and with Visa/MC aligned with the corporate banks and they aimed for a piece of that pie, so Discover got hosed and must be rebuilding finally.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FMguru posted:

I got a Discover card about two years ago and I was shocked at how many places take it. I always thought of Disover as Visa/MCs poor hillbilly cousin, but apart from Costco (Visa only) pretty much everywhere else accepted it. It's much more likely to be accepted than, say, AmEx.

Interesting! I've been using an Amex card nearly exclusively for about six months now and I haven't had any issues I can remember.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FMguru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nSwKOVZyk

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

StormDrain posted:

Interesting! I've been using an Amex card nearly exclusively for about six months now and I haven't had any issues I can remember.

My favorite Korean restaurant doesn’t take Amex.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

At least in the US northeast where I operate and see ~$10,000/day worth of transactions, mostly from middle class people, Visa dwarfs the competition. The breakdown is roughly 50% Visa, 30% Mastercard, 12% Discover, 8% AmEx.

e: I was just guessing at that but I ran a report for the current month and I was way off. It's 65% Visa, 24% Master, 9% Discover, 3% AmEx. Visa has two-thirds market share at least among my employer's customers. AmEx presumably still makes its bones with the wealthy, who aren't part of the customer base here.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 26, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Remulak posted:

My favorite Korean restaurant doesn’t take Amex.

Visa. It's everywhere you get bulgogi.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StormDrain posted:

I was at the bar and a guy asks, do you take discover? No? Do you take cash? No? OK. I guess I'll wait for my girlfriend.

I was shocked that would be someone's primary card.

Why don't you take cash?

Genuine question, I don't think it's even legal here not to take cash.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

you can refused to accept cash before a purchase, but if you have a debt cash is fine to pay it (barring some weird contract rules)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inceltown posted:

Why don't you take cash?

Genuine question, I don't think it's even legal here not to take cash.

I was a patron. This was at a music venue bar for reference.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Loads of places stopped taking cash here at the height of Covid because of the (perceived as it turns out?) risk of it spreading through contact.

Plus from an accounting/financial controls perspective it is so much easier to run a report from the card system than to run till rolls, count the cash, reconcile the cash to the till, investigate why it's £5 short, bank the cash, reconcile the bank to the count...

And that's before someone just robs the store

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Covid doesn't really spread through second/thirdhand contact, but lots and lots of other illnesses do. Gods I hate cash and public touchscreens. I was a germophobe long before covid made it cool, known as the guy who refuses to touch doorknobs with a bare hand if it can at all be avoided. And I hate people who come to work when they're obviously sick, too. Stay the gently caress home, sickness isn't spread by evil spirits, it's spread by sick people. For gently caress's sake.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Eric the Mauve posted:

Covid doesn't really spread through second/thirdhand contact, but lots and lots of other illnesses do. Gods I hate cash and public touchscreens. I was a germophobe long before covid made it cool, known as the guy who refuses to touch doorknobs with a bare hand if it can at all be avoided. And I hate people who come to work when they're obviously sick, too. Stay the gently caress home, sickness isn't spread by evil spirits, it's spread by sick people. For gently caress's sake.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

The capitalist system that punishes people for staying home when ill is the most evil spirit of all.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I've used Amex for years and have never had it turned away in the states (outside of Costco who only take Visa). I've seen places with the Visa/MC logo on their register, but they still usually take Amex.

I do bring one of each when I travel overseas, because it's always kinda spotty overseas.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tunicate posted:

you can refused to accept cash before a purchase, but if you have a debt cash is fine to pay it (barring some weird contract rules)

In Massachusetts retailers must take cash but I think that's an unusual law.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ranbo das posted:

I've used Amex for years and have never had it turned away in the states (outside of Costco who only take Visa).

Costco used to be Amex exclusive for years. It was considered an ENORMOUS gently caress up by Amex when they lost that deal to Visa.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bamhand posted:

Costco used to be Amex exclusive for years. It was considered an ENORMOUS gently caress up by Amex when they lost that deal to Visa.

such a great story though

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-how-amex-lost-costco/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yep.

quote:

As the negotiations dragged into January 2015, however, he became agitated and called his counterpart to remind him that Amex hadn’t only furnished Costco with its prestigious card; it had been Costco’s “trusted partner.” Jelinek interrupted, according to people who were briefed by Chenault about the call, and told him that as far as he was concerned, Amex was another vendor, just like the one that sold Costco ketchup. “If I can get cheaper ketchup somewhere else, I will,” he said. As rumors about the call spread, the rank and file who heard about it couldn’t believe someone from Costco had the nerve to insult Amex like that. Ketchup! Chenault called Jelinek a few weeks later to say Amex was pulling out.
Literally 10% of all AmEx cards were co-branded CostCo cards. Oops.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Costco still the retail GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
not since they got rid of the $1.50 polish sausage :arghfist: