Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

this happened a few jobs ago and the guy was dead. hopefully this turns out better

weve only has one death on this team so far so hopefully it doesn’t become a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah, glad you had fun, dude, but this is absolutely the case. if i somehow found myself at a primus show and they started playing rush i think id simply will myself to die

lol i dont think you understand what truman posted :cheeky:

"IIRC on one of their first gigs, they introduced themselves, and a heckler yelled PRIMUS SUCKS! And after that les started introducing themselves as: “We’re Primus and we suck” Fans latched onto it and it never went away."

but for reals, to each their own but i don't think i can stand for the rush hate

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I have Gmail set to send my wife all my passwords after a month or so of not unlocking my phone or opening my email.

lol this is great

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs somehow the team with the jankiest deployment and versioning process I’ve ever been on…has been at el goog

CPColin posted:

I often wonder if that's how my death will be noticed

mine may never be!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

cjs somehow the team with the jankiest deployment and versioning process I’ve ever been on…has been at el goog

this really shouldn't be surprising to anyone

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The Fool posted:

this really shouldn't be surprising to anyone

the company with how many dozen versions of messaging apps and protocols has bad internal tools? :monocle:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
no, you cant run a vpn from your coffee shop lab into the private test network. thatll expose it to a whole bunch of stuff we dont want to deal with.

oh. you already did.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I have Gmail set to send my wife all my passwords after a month or so of not unlocking my phone or opening my email.

where is this setting

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I looked at my files, went "am I ever going to use this?", and hit delete on a lot of disk images.

Down to 900gb.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

rotor posted:

where is this setting

Inactive account manager

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Microsoft is closing the loophole I use to check my email from Thunderbird without having to go through 2FA and I might quit over it :mad:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

oh this is awesome, thanks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CPColin posted:

cjs: Microsoft is closing the loophole I use to check my email from Thunderbird without having to go through 2FA and I might quit over it :mad:

thunderbird lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

akadajet posted:

thunderbird lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CPColin posted:

id say don't be stupid but you've using thunderbird for who knows how long, so the horse is out on that one already

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KidDynamite posted:

cjs: inoue v donaire on a tuesday morning. much better use of my time than work.

oo how was it. did inoue light him up

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A manager once brought in his Windows 99 tower to see if I could "speed it up" because he had his AOL dial-up program installed on it which he used to access his personal AOL webmail to pay his bills. He had broadband at home but still paid for an AOL subscription.

This was less than 5 years ago.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

He died of covid but I like to believe that his family kept his AOL subscription open to honor his memory.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A manager once brought in his Windows 99 tower to see if I could "speed it up" because he had his AOL dial-up program installed on it which he used to access his personal AOL webmail to pay his bills. He had broadband at home but still paid for an AOL subscription.

isn’t a massive amount of AOL’s income specifically from boomers paying to keep their email address, not realising that you don’t need to pay at all?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

thats a plot point on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE&t=436s

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Fool posted:

id say don't be stupid but you've using thunderbird for who knows how long, so the horse is out on that one already

Listen, all change is bad, for any reason and in any magnitude. Everybody knows this.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

CPColin posted:

Listen, all change is bad, for any reason and in any magnitude. Everybody knows this.

you just need to manage your changes. there's a process for this

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Ugh the weather is such garbage. 23C (~75F) with a 8 meter/second wind, and sunny.

At least it'll be cloudy tomorrow.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

if i had a dollar for every time i've had someone ask me to "just change it back to the way it was before" i'd probably have at least $4

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Ugh the weather is such garbage. 23C (~75F) with a 8 meter/second wind, and sunny.

At least it'll be cloudy tomorrow.

as i largely share weather with you i am quite happy that you have a long history of not having your wishes granted

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CPColin posted:

I often wonder if that's how my death will be noticed
I'm pretty sure mine will be noticed when I fall nude and screaming through a skylight

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cjs: having a beer after the messy but ultimately successful launch of an "algorithmic problem solving" course. the students were all darlings and tolerant of every part of the tech stack failing, solutions to the first problem set are streaming in, and the weather is fantastic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

whats 8 meters/wind?

in km its like .008?? miles? so like 12 km which is a nice breeze?

20-25C~ is perfect temperature lol hot but not blazing and you can chill

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I have my wind speed set to Beaufort. I have no idea what it means nor have I ever had a real need to know the actual wind speed, I'm not a sailor.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: coworker is alive, just got roni’d hard

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I'm pretty sure mine will be noticed when I fall nude and screaming through a skylight

Hail Satan

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

harsh but fair

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs a large chunk of my time during work hours that isn’t spent doing work is spent thinking about things that are not work and the latter is preferential in meetings

I really need a vacation. can’t wait for october

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

graph posted:

oo how was it. did inoue light him up

2nd round ko. inoue is hitting his prime.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I have my wind speed set to Beaufort.

Beaufort Deez Nutz

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KidDynamite posted:

2nd round ko. inoue is hitting his prime.

baller

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

how the f do i get from pet server to cattle server

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

start eating the server, when you stop crying every time you're there

Captain Foo