Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just recently joined.

https://letterboxd.com/MrMojok/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Added!

edit: v you two as well!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 4, 2022

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://letterboxd.com/IdiotBear/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mostly lurk in CD, but https://letterboxd.com/jordan7hm/

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Behold the best takes
https://letterboxd.com/MenOnFilm

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

so many new and old goons coming together here, it fills my heart with joy to read everyone's terrible opinions about terrible movies

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Letterboxd lists like the ones on the stat page scratch that "numbers go up" itch as I watch films. Then I go between like ten different lists at once anyway and so my numbers don't go up. But I finally watched a film shot in Greenland, so my bizarre compulsion to fill in the stats page world map by Mercator projection surface area is at least being tickled. :shepface:

https://letterboxd.com/saltliquor/

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 6, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://letterboxd.com/TwilightSporkle/

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh hey Roth! I added you, and also, would you consider adding the list or just a link to the post to the OP? It gets weird going to page 31 manually to edit, don't make me do all this extra work!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://letterboxd.com/8one6

But I really only use the site around October to keep track of watching all of the garbage horror movies that are streaming on Prime and Hulu.

And also the single public list I made to do psychic damage to my western loving friend.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Goons Are Great posted:

Hello my letterboxing friends, the fact that the OP was not up to date and even included 404s bugged me for months now, so I went ahead and made a new updated list of all goons who posted their account in this thread, sorted alphabetically:

8one6 - 8one6
Akarshi - nukedeggs
Allyn - Allyn
Antisamitism - antisam
blast0rama - blastorama
BOAT SHOWBOAT - timmytime
bowmore - caramonfives
checkplease - ch3ckplease
Darthemed - Darthemed
Detective Dog Dick - smashthestate
duz - duz
Egbert Souse - Egbert Souse
E.G.G.S. - MenOnFilm
egon_beeblebrox - farts_johnson
EL BROMANCE - jayx
Escobarbarian - escobarbarian
fadam - amalenczak
FancyMike - fancymike
feedmyleg - gregoryreg
fenix down - fenixdown
Fifteen of Many - NickHough
Franchescanado - Franchescanado
Friends Are Evil - moonsmilk
gey muckle mowser - muckle_mowser
GoldenGun - Grobbelboy
Goons Are Great - Gaggy
Goth Odell Beckham - GothOdell
graventy - graventy
Greekonomics - karatebugman
Hat Thoughts - havelava
I Before E - TildeSwinton
Ingmar terdman - IdiotBear
Irritated Goat - irritatedgoat
I, Butthole - aewade
JivJov - jivjov
Jordan7hm - jordan7hm
kalel - kalel
Kull the Conqueror - actionberg
K. Waste - kenny_waste
Lester Shy - KanleyStubrick
MacheteZombie - MacheteZ
MrMojok - MrMojok
Narzack - narzack
Nroo - nroo
Peggotty - cebrail
PenguinKnight - Ami_Mizuno
piratepilates - piratejerk
pospysyl - pospysyl
Principle Hellman - clawxco
Rageaholic - black_l0dger
Rascar Capac - rascar_capac
Ratedargh - ratedargh
Raxivace - Raxivace
Roth - [url=https://letterboxd.com/TwilightSporkle/TwilightSporkle[/url]
Servoret - cbf
Shrecknet - shrecknet
SMP - smp
Spatulater bro! - caiman
T Bowl - tfowl
Teenage Fansub - Teenage Fansub
Terrorist Fistbump - koblentz
thatfuturekid - mitchhayes
Tsyni - tsyni
twernt - twernt
Twin Cinema - twin_cinema
Vanilla Bison - saltliquor
Vince MechMahon - Vincemechmahon
weekly font - weeklyfont
Wilhelm Scream - vincentprice
zenintrude - zenintrude
Zurtilik - Zurtilik

I removed those who did not log any movie this year (as of June 2022) as well as any old or removed accounts. I most certainly forgot one or three, so if you want to be added and are not in there or if you would like to be removed, hit me!
I'll pester a mod to add this to the OP, too and I'll try to keep it updated from now on!

Well, usually I have the edit is not quote situation, now I finally unlocked the classic quote is not edit setup.
Oh well, new page, same list!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 7, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm here too!

https://letterboxd.com/EvanWaters/

I don't write as much as I want to but every so often the mood takes me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else get reviews anxiety for 5 star movies?

For some reason I can write about most movies except for the ones I rate 5 stars, that feel like they deserve something more than pithy, but actual effort is hard.

I just gave Rachel Getting Married 5 stars, and I thought about it all night and I've been thinking about it all day, but there's just too much to praise in it to actually write about it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone else get reviews anxiety for 5 star movies?

For some reason I can write about most movies except for the ones I rate 5 stars, that feel like they deserve something more than pithy, but actual effort is hard.

I just gave Rachel Getting Married 5 stars, and I thought about it all night and I've been thinking about it all day, but there's just too much to praise in it to actually write about it.

the best reviews are 2 sentence top of mind responses, imo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

the best reviews are 2 sentence top of mind responses, imo.

You'd think that, but my reviews with the most likes are each 160+ words and one of them has four line breaks, so :shrug:

Even my most egregiously wordy reviews, at 860+ words, get more likes than the ones with brevity.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Franchescanado posted:

You'd think that, but my reviews with the most likes are each 160+ words and one of them has four line breaks, so :shrug:

Even my most egregiously wordy reviews, at 860+ words, get more likes than the ones with brevity.

Just post “step on me Anne Hathaway” and you’ll get plenty of likes, if the top reviews on most movies are any indication.

8one6
May 20, 2012

You just have to review a movie that no one else has bothered to review and by default you'll have the top review of the film. I have somehow managed this trick twice.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I like to use Letterboxd just to write notes and thoughts on the films. So sometimes I have some pretty long ones.

I think I probably have about 1 star error margin depending on my mood. I also noticed I keep rating stuff as 4 to 4.5. I’m only watching stuff I’m interested in and yeah guess there’s some natural hesitancy to going to 5.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

8one6 posted:

You just have to review a movie that no one else has bothered to review and by default you'll have the top review of the film. I have somehow managed this trick twice.

There's a couple short films I should write up just to get something on the board for them. A couple aren't even that obscure, yet don't have reviews yet.

Even on Letterboxd nobody cares about shorts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My star ratings are all over the place and I like 90% of what I watch. Hell I'll press that like button on something I give 2 stars sometimes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, for me a 4 star is an auto like but stuff lower (way lower) can get it too. It’s definitely a useful addition when a star rating alone isn’t enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just started my account a couple months ago so I'm still figuring out the rating system. I think I've given movies I didn't like too many stars and movies I really liked not enough stars. Oh well, I'll get the hang of it eventually.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've watched more than three quarters of Disney's short film catalogue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I gave up a long time ago and just rate everything I really 5 stars

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh I didn’t think to use the like button to indicate I liked it. I just use the stars for that. 2 and below and I probably didn’t like it much. Guess everyone has their systems.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

checkplease posted:

Guess everyone has their systems.

Yep, it’s probably my favorite feature of the site. Provide people the tools and let them use them however they want. Don’t want to use half stars? Don’t have to! Only want to log and use the like button? Go ahead!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh hey Roth! I added you, and also, would you consider adding the list or just a link to the post to the OP? It gets weird going to page 31 manually to edit, don't make me do all this extra work!!

I added it to the OP

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The like button is such nice addition, often enough I'm like, this is a good movie, but it's just not my cup of tea, I'm not interested in the theme or don't like the writing or whatever but I can appreciate the quality anyways. Four stars and no like? That's it then!
Just like the thread title says, sometimes you just have to hate something while still admiring the art

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

I like to use Letterboxd just to write notes and thoughts on the films. So sometimes I have some pretty long ones.

I think I probably have about 1 star error margin depending on my mood. I also noticed I keep rating stuff as 4 to 4.5. I’m only watching stuff I’m interested in and yeah guess there’s some natural hesitancy to going to 5.

I rarely give a first watch 5 stars. 4.5, with room to grow to the heralded 5 star on a rewatch.

MacheteZombie posted:

My star ratings are all over the place and I like 90% of what I watch. Hell I'll press that like button on something I give 2 stars sometimes.

Well yeah! Just because a movie's bad doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

Like I just watched The Saint with Val Kilmer. It's incredibly stupid, ridiculous and makes no sense on scrutiny, but it's always engaging, it's competently shot, and it was entertaining the entire time. 2 stars and a Like heart. Makes perfect sense.

It's the people that only use the Like heart and no star rating who scare me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've got a lot of glowing 3 star reviews for fun low budget trash.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly rate stuff 3 or better. 2.5 stars means it's interestingly not good. 2 stars and below means i hate it or it's boring, but I try my best not to watch movies like that.

And the reviews are just quick notes so that I remember what the heck I watched. Even just a sentence that's a joke helps a lot for that. I really like the tags though. I use them to track which service I watched the movie on, so that I can see if I'm actually getting value of the streaming services I'm paying for.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Some of the best movies I've ever watched got rated with 1/2 stars by me because they are absolute steaming piles of crap by any subjective and objective definition, but I liked them so much that I gave them my heart and I enjoy watching them

Sometimes you gotta watch bad movies to know what's good and sometimes you really like those bad movies, which does not make them good but fun

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I refuse to accept that things I like are bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't know, man. I gave a pretty positive review to a loose VHS board game adaptation of Caves of Steel recently. I want to say that if I find things to appreciate a movie it inherently has merit, but if an Asimov-themed VHS board game can get me...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched Heat the other night and that movie is incredible. I gave it 4.5 instead of 5, probably because it's not the type of movie I would rewatch anytime. 5 star movies (like Star Wars: A New Hope, Walk Hard, Jurassic Park, etc.) are movies that I can throw on whenever and have a blast with.

8one6
May 20, 2012

One of my absolute favorite found footage horror movies is Bad Ben and it is by all objective measures a steaming pile of poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

8one6 posted:

One of my absolute favorite found footage horror movies is Bad Ben and it is by all objective measures a steaming pile of poo poo.

The bad Ben series is so loving weird

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

No stars, just likes for "I would recommend, rewatch, and/or watch w commentary/bonus material"

This makes my Liked list a de facto second watchlist

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ingmar terdman posted:

No stars, just likes for "I would recommend, rewatch, and/or watch w commentary/bonus material"

This makes my Liked list a de facto second watchlist

I do this, but just for rewatching. There's a bunch of films I think are great to watch once and would recommend to someone on the same basis. They get a high rating but no heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I should use the lists more. I have a few I started, but often forget to update.