Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

DESPAIR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I agree. KC Green’s Pinocchio needs a movie adaptation as well.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

readingatwork posted:

I agree. KC Green’s Pinocchio needs a movie adaptation as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you have Disney+, https://disneyplusoriginals.disney.com/show/disney-sketchbook is a pretty rad little series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone know anything else about this?

https://twitter.com/MurmurLilies/status/1532898408016465921

Is the whole movie like this?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Another day, another Netflix animation gets the axe

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1532926930994987011?s=21&t=RL3eEUzs_18DvJoc6Iay9Q

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it probably was never coming back anyway, it had been 2 years and netflix usually has a formulaic airtime-to-renewal schedule

there were some cool episodes of midnight gospel and some eye-rolling episodes but it was a net positive i think. except that dr drew was in it who loving sucks

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I admittedly bounced off of it after the first episode or two, but I could at least respect what they were trying to do with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watching Pinocchio now and the thing jumping out at me is the showoffiness of the animation.

- The funhouse-mirror effect of Pinocchio through the fishbowl

- The multiplane camera shot leading into the crowd scene in the town square with dozens of characters running around all independently animated :eyepop: take that Fleischer

- The whole movie is like an excuse to show off that "we can animate the movements of a marionette". Between this and the weightless flying-around-the-room animation in Peter Pan, it seems like these intricate studies of idiomatic movement were Disney's stock-in-trade at the time

- The Blue Fairy is more rotoscope-tastic than even Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, but she's also barely even drawn-over, she looks like basically just a film effect

- Lol at how horny Jiminy Cricket is

- Also Gepetto keeps a gun under his pillow, let's see if that bit survives

- Once again they manage to not explain the joke behind the name "Pinocchio", leaving generations of kids to grow up thinking it's just a regular sorta-funny name

- Stuff like the rocking of the cage inside Stromboli's wagon (or the wagons themselves as they roll by in 3D) I assume is also rotoscoped; it would obviously be done with CGI nowadays but for a prop/set piece like that at the time it seems like as easy a way to get the reference

- The distance shots of the wagon on the way to Pleasure Island, all the kids have :o: faces like the things from Princess Mononoke. The 1940 equivalent of the Hunchback CGI crowd

- Lampwick's transformation is some poo poo :pwn:

- The effect of the water surface when Pinocchio jumps off the cliff looking for Monstro is impressive, I wonder how they did it

- Similarly there are a lot of wavy underwater effects shots that are very ... effective

- Whales do not work that way, goodnight

- It's got proto-Pixar-style callbacks, like Jiminy's badge. I feel like a modern version of this would make a bigger deal of the idea for the fire coming from his finger getting burned and/or the smoking scene, and nothing comes of the nose-growing bit except for that one scene, which certainly wouldn't be just a one-off never-again-mentioned thing nowadays, I have to imagine

Anyway this is a really dense movie that seems to hang together really easily, compared to some of the later Silver Age ones that seemed like a ten-minute story stretched over an hour and a half. Part of it may be how loosely it holds itself to any kind of internal consistency universe-wise; it's solidly in fairy-tale country, where you have talking bipedal foxes and blue fairies and donkey transformations and a dude can just get eaten by a whale and it's all in a day's work. I think I can see the seeds of the slavish-realism that dogs the live-action remakes of today even back in the 50s-60s movies where they started getting self-referential and self-conscious about breaking molds and subverting expectations. It must have been easy in a way back when there wasn't any established mold to break and all you cared about was showing how awesome you were at this newfangled animation thing.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Why did they have to say that Lightyear was some sort of in-universe movie that exists in the Toy Story universe. If that’s the case, why does his ship look different than the one from the movie? Where’s his cat robot accessory??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The 7th Guest posted:

it probably was never coming back anyway, it had been 2 years and netflix usually has a formulaic airtime-to-renewal schedule

there were some cool episodes of midnight gospel and some eye-rolling episodes but it was a net positive i think. except that dr drew was in it who loving sucks

I’m sure this contributed too:

We can look forward to much fewer animated projects from Netflix

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I know nothing but that clip is amazing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

God I hope so.

Eh. It made its point and I’m not sure what a second season would have added. It was a good season though and people should take a look if they haven’t already.

Also calling it now. Lightyear ends with Buzz transported to the Toy Story universe as a toy for multiverse reasons which starts the plot of that movie and retrospectively makes all of Woody’s “you are a toy!” lines gasslighty and weird in retrospect.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the only thing I want from the new Pinocchio movie is they include my now favorite character, snake with a fire tail who instantly dies of a heartattack

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I cannot muster any enthusiasm for Lightyear. I've seen the trailer two or three times and there's just no mystery there. He's out in space and he makes some quips and he fights Zurg, I presume?

If they wanted to have a space adventure movie why not just make a space adventure movie? Why's it gotta be this guy?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sivart13 posted:

I cannot muster any enthusiasm for Lightyear. I've seen the trailer two or three times and there's just no mystery there. He's out in space and he makes some quips and he fights Zurg, I presume?

If they wanted to have a space adventure movie why not just make a space adventure movie? Why's it gotta be this guy?

Same. Star Wars pastiches are not exactly rare either, the compelling/funny part of Buzz is that he's a toy re-enacting all this serious space battles poo poo in a kid's house/toy store/wherever. If I want to watch Generic Handsome White Guy Space Man there's easily a dozen other movies/TV shows I could watch with a more interesting and compelling main character.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

This version of Buzz has me instinctively wanting to know his citizen complaint record and how many times he had to resign and get shuffled around in the space force

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

If that’s the case, why does his ship look different than the one from the movie? Where’s his cat robot accessory??
Why did the Captain N series just mangle the NES characters it was based on? How many films completely change the tone of the source material? How many toys did you buy as a kid with package art, molds, or greebles that were entirely off model or based on some kind of pre-release concept that was discarded?

Because it's a kid's toy and gently caress it just get it out for Christmas, Pete.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

You know the answer already. It rhymes with shmarketability.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I have a theory it’s a long con to replace Tim Allen so they can make more Toy Story movies with Buzz.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

I have a theory it’s a long con to replace Tim Allen so they can make more Toy Story movies with Buzz.

I would not be surprised one bit if that were also the case. Honestly the only reason I think it wouldn't be is because it probably costs way less to cast Tim Allen than Chris Evans these days

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And they buried the Buzz Lightyear in-universe cartoon they already made, starring Patrick Warburton.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

I ended up watching it on YouTube. It's about an hour long. I don't think anything else in the movie tops this clip except maybe the ending but there are some very funny sloppy sequences throughout.

It was directed by Rumen Petkov who ended up working on a few cartoon network shows in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62nQSa335Y

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 5, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sourdough Sam posted:

I ended up watching it on YouTube. It's about an hour long. I don't think anything else in the movie tops this clip except maybe the ending but there are some very funny sloppy sequences throughout.

It was directed by Rumen Petkov who ended up working on a few cartoon network shows in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62nQSa335Y

Didn't know it was on youtube, thank you!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/strangeworld/status/1533810951862075394?t=lEypWwmIpCD_pxi76-bClg&s=19

This looks neat. I love the landscapes.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh wow that looks like a feast for the eyes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strange New Worlds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's probably not on purpose, but suddenly weirdly reminded that Ugly Sonic even before Rescue Rangers is kinda meta, given the whole franchise's problems with being still totally unable to actually adapt to 3D enough to make a good game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, apparently Ugly Sonic's role was originally going to be filled by Jar Jar Binks instead:

https://movieweb.com/chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-almost-featured-hated-star-wars-character-ugly-sonic/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I know nothing but that clip is amazing.

The director of that emigrated to the US and worked on Ren and Stimpy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, apparently Ugly Sonic's role was originally going to be filled by Jar Jar Binks instead:

https://movieweb.com/chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-almost-featured-hated-star-wars-character-ugly-sonic/

I'm honestly not sure if that would have been better or worse.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, apparently Ugly Sonic's role was originally going to be filled by Jar Jar Binks instead
I listened to a podcast with one of the writers and he mentioned that Lumiere's part was actually Mushu from Mulan for a very long time, but the powers that be decided to change it, possibly because the live-action Mulan didn't do well.

There's other interesting stuff in there, like how they couldn't have released it theatrically even if they wanted to without renegotiating a bunch, because the stars signed on with streaming-only contracts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have they mentioned anything about how they got the rights to Sonic (I didn’t see Sega or Paramount listed in the end credits)?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My best guess is that since they never say Sonic the Hedgehog™ and just leave it as Ugly Sonic, Sega didn't raise a stink.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's just parody. They can do what they like.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Have they mentioned anything about how they got the rights to Sonic (I didn’t see Sega or Paramount listed in the end credits)?
It's also mentioned in the podcast that Randy Marsh from South Park is in there because Akiva Schaffer literally called Matt or Trey on the phone and asked.

I'm not sure how things work for a character like Ugly Sonic who has a relatively big part in the movie. My made-up understanding of copyright law is that if you wanted to put a Battletoad in a single frame or whatever nobody's gonna come after you, but the more screen time something gets, the more nervous your lawyers become.

https://www.polygon.com/entertainment/23132414/ugly-sonic-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-cameo-tim-robinson posted:

Director Akiva Schaffer, a Lonely Island member who previously directed Hot Rod and Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, tells Polygon that Ugly Sonic’s presence was a highlight of the film for him, but that he can’t discuss what went into licensing the character. “It’s one of my favorite [cameos in the film],” he says. “I can speak to that. It’s one of my favorite things in the movie. And I’m very excited for people to see it … I don’t know what I should, what I’m allowed to say [about it]. I think I will actually plead the fifth.”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In Spanish he's called Dirty Sonic

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It's just parody. They can do what they like.

It's not though. Ugly Sonic was created by Paramount's artists and then appeared in Sonic movie trailers and posters. He's totally copywritten. It's not an original parody version.

There had to have been a deal struck with Paramount.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 7, 2022

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That was Sonic, not Ugly Sonic. Ugly Sonic's got a beer gut, an ugly jacket, and most importantly no signature shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They might be able to get away with the parody defense but I have a feeling that there was a quick exchange of e-mails between relevant parties just to be safe. Maybe some obscure deal on points or a Paramount exec somewhere gets a discount on their next Disneyland visit or something.