Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Altho reading into it the line is just the gag of someone riding a bicycle dismissing fantastical things, haha.

I mean, if you hate Star Wars you don't ride on the shoulders of a fab Vader. :lol:

I need this as a poster - both for my love of Star Wars and Queen.

This is the best thing I’ve seen in at least a week. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

KittyEmpress posted:

I never started watching anything star wars movie related until adulthood (around 2014 or 2015)

I think every movie is some grade of bad. Rogue One is probably my favorite star wars movie.

I dont think you should be allowed to like a movie that is mostly just incoherent references to ANH more than you like ANH :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vintersorg posted:

Altho reading into it the line is just the gag of someone riding a bicycle dismissing fantastical things, haha.

I mean, if you hate Star Wars you don't ride on the shoulders of a fab Vader. :lol:

Between this and their making the soundtracks for Highlander and Flash loving Gordon, I have to assume that Queen were/are massive nerds.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hard to see in that picture but he's wearing a Flash shirt too.

But yeah, they were huge loving nerds. The early albums have pure fantasy songs and they all rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHC85XWII7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_SVPiXnWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-5CgWP7Iw

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wolfsheim posted:

I dont think you should be allowed to like a movie that is mostly just incoherent references to ANH more than you like ANH :colbert:

Outside of the ending, I don't think R1 references ANH all that much?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

But yeah, they were huge loving nerds.
confirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7GFU5ncKhU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have never seen this in my life and it's incredible, holy poo poo! Love those marionettes!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Outside of the ending, I don't think R1 references ANH all that much?

If you somehow watched Rogue One in a vacuum with no outside knowledge of Star Wars you'd be very confused by the random CGI people, what the deal is with Krennic's robot devil boss, all the oblique nods like the C3P0 and cantina guys scene, etc

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

They should have done a feature length version of this instead of Bohemian Rhapsody

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wolfsheim posted:

It's a great movie on its own legs, about heroism and sacrifice and fighting for something larger than just you. It also is the first time Vader ever felt intimidating to me, yes even compared to the ANH opening.

ANH would probably be my second favorite star wars movie if it wasn't part of a series if that makes sense. People praise its strength as a standalone, but that strength feels like a weakness when I take an aggregate view. It underexplains, doesn't set up enough of interest, and just very much feels like there wasn't much of a plan for it.

As it is my second favorite is probably the 'the last jedi with all Finn and poes scenes excised' edit, if that's allowed. I liked the exploration of the force, bitter Luke, Kyle's self doubt. All cool stuff. (That unfortunately got 0 good follow up, since it is followed by my least favorite star wars movie)

Edit: I meant Kylo, but Kyle is a great autocorrect. Even (stabs) holes in walls, like a true Kyle.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 7, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wolfsheim posted:

If you somehow watched Rogue One in a vacuum with no outside knowledge of Star Wars you'd be very confused by the random CGI people, what the deal is with Krennic's robot devil boss, all the oblique nods like the C3P0 and cantina guys scene, etc

I'm not sure how much this is true. Like, how much more do you need to know about Krennic being a middle manager who's bosses hate him that isn't answered by showing Krennic's bosses hating him for his poor management? How could you be confused by oblique nods to characters from other films if you didn't have the outside knowledge to recognize them as oblique nods in the first place?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
One thing I very distinctly remember when Star Wars was rereleased in '97 is that when Vader first appeared it sounded like exactly half the audience boo'd and half the audience cheered at the same time (along with some scattered laughter afterwards).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish people boo’d more at cinema bad guys, but then again, there’s very few silver screen bastards that can generate that kind of heat.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Just have every movie villain insult a local sports team, that should work.

Don't talk to me about logistics and recording different dialogue for every area the movie plays in, they would get booed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

garycoleisgod posted:

Don't talk to me about logistics and recording different dialogue for every area the movie plays in, they would get booed.

They actually do this for Marvel movies.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

garycoleisgod posted:

Darth Bill Burr?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, it really is something special.

Vintersorg posted:

Hard to see in that picture but he's wearing a Flash shirt too.

But yeah, they were huge loving nerds. The early albums have pure fantasy songs and they all rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHC85XWII7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_SVPiXnWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-5CgWP7Iw

The first thing I did when Spotify launched however long ago it was was deep dive on early Queen, and I was blown away by songs like these. Like, what the hell? These are incredible (I especially love Great King Rat) and I wish they weren't mostly forgotten by time, even if I get why they were. Thank you for reminding me of these.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think saying that people would be confused is putting it way too strongly (Vader doesn't look that out of place with a bunch of droids running around, and the cantina guys are actually more confusing with context than they are without), and to be fair, we were all confused by the CGI people, context be damned. But you're right that there are a lot of references to ANH in Rogue One. Some are just visual, but some are pretty in your face. I mean, they meet in the drat Yavin 4 control room. More than once, I think?

This isn't a criticism of the movie, mind you. But to say that only the end of the movie references ANH is just not true.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 7, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

I think saying that people would be confused is putting it way too strongly (Vader doesn't look that out of place with a bunch of droids running around, and the cantina guys are actually more confusing with context than they are without), and to be fair, we were all confused by the CGI people, context be damned. But you're right that there are a lot of references to ANH in Rogue One. Some are just visual, but some are pretty in your face. I mean, they meet in the drat Yavin 4 control room. More than once, I think?

This isn't a criticism of the movie, mind you. But to say that only the end of the movie references ANH is just not true.

To be clear, my objection was to it being an "incoherent" reference. The leaders of the nascent rebellion sitting in a room is not incoherent.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

At this point, it’s clear that - whether we be likers, or haters, or smart people - we actually all agree on many basic, fundamental things:

Nobody reads ‘Star Wars’ as a nonology. Absolutely nobody considers this to be one story in nine parts. I have yet to see a single claim that the end of Episode 9 actually pays off what was ‘set up’ in The Return Of The Jedi, or any other Lucas film. (The same is true of Episode 8, for those who consider that the proper ending of the Sequels.) What’s generally accepted, instead, is that the ST offers an ‘interesting spin’ on the concept of making a sequel to Star Wars. The whole thing exists as a sort of hypothetical, even in completed form. Like, instead of simply making a sequel to the Star Wars movies, they made a bunch of “wouldn’t it be interesting if...” propositions.

The most basic of these propositions was “what if nobody learned anything from the events of Episode 6, so that they effectively didn’t happen.” And, for a time, that was the appeal: fans were ecstatic at the prospect that the Sequels might undo “the bad ones”. In a more general sense, the popularity of TFA rested on the promise that the Star Wars franchise was back. This did not mean that the narrative was continuing, and certainly not that it was concluding. It was just, like, there.

Consequently, it never mattered that no-one actually liked TFA except as a feature-length advertisement for the new franchise. People who like it consider it a very good advertisement for a product that never materialized, while those who don’t now repeat the “mystery box” meme. But, again, everyone agrees on it being a colourful packaging, while entirely missing Abrams’ point that the box itself is the artwork.

“Maybe the art is hidden inside this urinal? Let’s smash it, and get the art out!”

For better or worse, TLJ is ‘what was inside the urinal’: a Star Wars movie. Except, y’know, also not really. The film is not a sequel to the Lucas films but a condensed repetition or restatement of them. Where TFA said “Star Wars is back,” TLJ offers Star Wars again:
What if the Jedi figures from popular culture are both heroic and idiotic? What if being simply less-bad than the Hitlers and Stalins isn’t quite good enough? This was already the point of Star Wars, going back at least as far as the early 1980s.

“They blow you up today, you blow them up tomorrow. This is just business.”

TLJ’s main achievement is to assert, through its very redundancy, that this is probably all that Star Wars can ever be.

“You're wrong!”

“Maybe.”

But ending this meta-commentary on the state of the Star Wars franchise with this noncommittal “maybe” meant that we had yet another advertisement for the promised ‘real’ movie that would eventually come out in the future. Broom kid! Broom kid’s gonna satisfy the hype! Broom kid’s gonna save the franchise from endless self-parody, right?

So Return Of The Skywalker eventually comes out, and it’s an honest-to-god actual movie - with an ending, and everything! The only catch is that no fan wanted an ending. The previous two films promised the beginning of a new franchise, not an end to the whole series! So people were completely unprepared for an actual movie that wrapped everything up. For the first time, a sequel to Star Wars! It was also pure, unadulterated shlock. Just absolute trash.

The end!

Also some TV shows

It was pretty funny reading this post and then seeing this thread doing rounds on twitter

https://twitter.com/swankmotron/status/1533853606549409792

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good twitter thread

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't think C-3PO should be holding a knife and waving it around. It was the low point of the the 9th movie for me, aside from every mention and appearance of "ochi of Bestoon"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jeepers, my introduction to star wars was my friend who wasn't in a fundamentalist cult secretly playing his VHS's of the ot in his bedroom for me.

he would fastforward 'through all the boring bits' and show me the lightsaber battles and explain vader was luke's father, etc, etc. it was a number of years before i actually saw them properly and by then i knew the plots like the back of my hand. sometimes i wish i had a chance just to watch them unspoiled as people seem to really like that.

it feels like a lot of sw love comes from watching the films in full for the first time/as kids. But oh well! I get to read and post in star wars threads for the rest of my days, arguing over the miniate and what makes it good or bad in very nerdy ways.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't think C-3PO should be holding a knife and waving it around. It was the low point of the the 9th movie for me, aside from every mention and appearance of "ochi of Bestoon"

He should've been stabbing people left and right Tracy Jordan style

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mameluke posted:

He should've been stabbing people left and right Tracy Jordan style

Allow me to introduce you to Star Wars comics character Triple Zero, who is literally this.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Roth posted:

It was pretty funny reading this post and then seeing this thread doing rounds on twitter

Good thread.

The notion that Broom Kid is just an advertisement could not be more blinkered. He represents the power of myth and its ability to move people. He also represents the audience experiencing Star Wars as children. He's fundamentally who Star Wars is for.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Could they do that but be a little less condescending than portraying the audience as a child with a decoder ring shoveling poo poo?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

General Dog posted:

Could they do that but be a little less condescending than portraying the audience as a child with a decoder ring shoveling poo poo?

Who was intentionally left in servitude.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

To be clear, my objection was to it being an "incoherent" reference. The leaders of the nascent rebellion sitting in a room is not incoherent.

Rogue One is actually an extremely good example of how to employ references ‘correctly’.

-Everything is given sufficient context to make sense on its own. Who is this robot monster man at the end? Obviously the same demon guy that Krennec goes to in the earlier scene.

-There’s a point to it. Vader is visually linked to Saw - the insurgent who is not really affiliated with the rebellion. The fact that Krennec would go to Vader over Tarkin shows that Vader is at least perceived as a sort of wild-card within the Empire. So it’s all about the film’s exploration of radicalism.

-The imagery is employed differently. This is the first film where we see Vader not really doing anything - and showing a character not doing things can be very impactful. Vader’s got a lava castle that he sits around healing in, but he seems pretty bored. (You don’t need to have every character repeatedly get into gunfights, Disney.)

-It works with the other films when they’re grouped together. By asserting that Vader only spent a few days visiting the Death Star, the film underlines the differences between him and Tarkin in Episode 4. Consequently, Vader’s stepping out of the castle to ‘take matters into his own hands’ also prefigures his attempted coup in Episode 5.

-Nothing is overly belaboured. Vader’s only in like two scenes, and the movie never becomes ‘about’ Vader.

The Obiwan show, as a contrast, does everything opposite: They repeat the exact same imagery from Rogue One. We don’t really get any context for why the Jedi are being hunted. Vader being a sadist doesn’t fit with his depiction in any other film. The series is entirely about Obiwan beating Vader again for some reason...

TheLoquid posted:

The notion that Broom Kid is just an advertisement could not be more blinkered. He represents the power of myth and its ability to move people. He also represents the audience experiencing Star Wars as children. He's fundamentally who Star Wars is for.

I addressed that argument in my post, albeit indirectly: the argument for “the power of myth and how it moves people” is undercut by the “maybe”.

Broom kid is ambiguous, posing a challenge to the audience: is he just gonna be another well-meaning idiot, business as usual, or will he maybe accomplish something by accident?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 8, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's pretty perverse for broom kid to be indoctrinated into the republic/jedi cause which has been shown to have effectively no interest in the abolition of slavery over a time period spanning multiple millennia. Granted it might be accurate to the role of myth for all that

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's pretty perverse for broom kid to be indoctrinated into the republic/jedi cause which has been shown to have effectively no interest in the abolition of slavery over a time period spanning multiple millennia. Granted it might be accurate to the role of myth for all that

Right: if you really want to talk about myth, the Lucas films present a fairly basic christological narrative: PT and OT as Old and New Testaments, respectively.

After the Father and Son (not referring to Luke here), we logically have the Holy Spirit. But that isn’t what Broom Kid represents. The kid follows Luke - and Luke Skywalker in TLJ is, like Rey, an Antichrist figure.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
his name is Temiri Blagg, haven't you seen the movie

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be clear I am in agreement with SMG that The Last Jedi is largely just retelling what previous Star Wars movies have already done.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfsheim posted:

If they knew that Star Wars was a thing they'd probably be fine, just like how audiences are fine with the MCU making references to other stuff despite the fact that lots of people don't see everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roth posted:

'Superior officers owe subordinates zero context to their orders', oh gently caress off not this again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You get what you deserve

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If they knew that Star Wars was a thing they'd probably be fine, just like how audiences are fine with the MCU making references to other stuff despite the fact that lots of people don't see everything.

This is true for me with the movie's non-ANH references: I have no idea why Saw is important, but he must be because people talk about him a lot and he gets a big death scene. Were all his scenes cut, or was I just supposed to care about him from a comic book tie-in, or both? Either way it makes the film feel less like a complete story and more a companion to other things you already watched. Which isn't something exclusively wrong with Rogue One obviously (Revenge of the Sith opening with a villain that has never been seen before but is suddenly extremely important is also poor storytelling), but it doesn't do it any favors either.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Superior officers owe subordinates zero context to their orders', oh gently caress off not this again.

This is why 'Poe stays dead in TFA and Finn takes his place' fixes so many problems:

-Rebel command not trusting a former stormtrooper is extremely reasonable
-You lose the casino planet scenes
-You lose the terrible your mama joke
-Oscar Isaacs retains his will to live and does like, 2-3 extremely good indie films instead of filming Ep VIII and IX

None of this stops Ep IX from being bad but it really takes TLJ up a letter grade imho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/forcesabers/status/1534216055291359238?t=AU3YoyVCdHPJZ6jwPHDyVA&s=19

Not only would it have been a better movie but it would have been better at the reason Disney bought Star Wars in the first place: merchandising

Incredible how bad they fumbled the bag on Ep IX

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

TheLoquid posted:

Good thread.

The thing is that there is no reason to have the Broom Kid to represent power of myth or giving the audience some extra nostalgia. Why is he in the film? We're in the middle of a trilogy and people know what Star Wars is. The Broom Kid would make sense at the end of a story where the heroes lose - like at the end of ROTS for example. The audience doesn't need hope to know that the story will continue in the next film where the heroes will prevail.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain Jesus posted:

The thing is that there is no reason to have the Broom Kid to represent power of myth or giving the audience some extra nostalgia. Why is he in the film? We're in the middle of a trilogy and people know what Star Wars is. The Broom Kid would make sense at the end of a story where the heroes lose - like at the end of ROTS for example. The audience doesn't need hope to know that the story will continue in the next film where the heroes will prevail.

I like TLJ's ending but sort of agree with this. When TLJ finished I assumed the third movie was going to skip ahead several years or something (not to specifically be about Broom Kid per se).

Wolfsheim posted:

This is true for me with the movie's non-ANH references: I have no idea why Saw is important, but he must be because people talk about him a lot and he gets a big death scene. Were all his scenes cut, or was I just supposed to care about him from a comic book tie-in, or both? Either way it makes the film feel less like a complete story and more a companion to other things you already watched. Which isn't something exclusively wrong with Rogue One obviously (Revenge of the Sith opening with a villain that has never been seen before but is suddenly extremely important is also poor storytelling), but it doesn't do it any favors either.

This is why 'Poe stays dead in TFA and Finn takes his place' fixes so many problems:

-Rebel command not trusting a former stormtrooper is extremely reasonable
-You lose the casino planet scenes
-You lose the terrible your mama joke
-Oscar Isaacs retains his will to live and does like, 2-3 extremely good indie films instead of filming Ep VIII and IX

None of this stops Ep IX from being bad but it really takes TLJ up a letter grade imho

I love Rogue One but I have to agree about Saw. Was he added in because they didn't want Jyn to be the person doing the extremist anti-empire bombings or whatever? It seems crazy to build up this guy who's character design/build up is like he's the Rebel equivalent to Darth Vader and someone not to be hosed with or whatever and then have him in the movie for like two minutes.

Last Jedi is a movie I like a lot but, like all the Disney movies is also busted in its own way. I hated how much it kept doing sort of doing something different but it was all in the name of Kylo still being unambiguously angry/bad and Rey still being unambiguously good and resetting everything to small band of rebels vs. big empire.

Where even is anything in the Galaxy? Like the first order blows the gently caress out of the galactic capital system or whatever but between TFA and TLJ they're still allowed to build up this mega army and take over everywhere? IIRC Leia says the republic doesn't consider the first order a serious threat. Well they definitely show otherwise in TFA but like the rest of the galaxy is just cool with that?

After TLJ I was kind of hoping for a significant time skip and for Leia/Chewie/the droids/Maz Kanata to not even be in it, just focus on Rey/Kylo/Finn/Poe a decade later. ROS of course did the exact opposite in the dumbest ways possible though lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa posted:

I like TLJ's ending but sort of agree with this. When TLJ finished I assumed the third movie was going to skip ahead several years or something (not to specifically be about Broom Kid per se).

Neo Rasa posted:

After TLJ I was kind of hoping for a significant time skip
This was exactly the plan. Duel of the Fates was to take place several years later.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 8, 2022