Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno I think Koga was pretty fun in Part 1 as he was training under various people.

The issue was that he was far too weak to fit into the story in Part 1 with the Purgatory stuff.

The secondary issue is the timeskip that was needed to bring him closer to the level of the original cast.

But Koga himself, and his friendship with Ryuki, is/was(?) actually enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I agree that Ohma should have stayed dead, but that's mostly because the way he went out in Ashura was incredibly good.

I like Koga. When he's allowed to be a perspective character and grow and develop, he's good. It's fun watching him bounce off all the established big boys.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm withholding my judgment of koga's plot until he actually finds out what his bf has been up to. it can't go anywhere until that happens.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I think my main criticism of Koga is that after being sidelined for the tourney and now having the time skip, he’s come back a bit more vanilla. I liked the mixture of cockiness, determination, occasional goofiness and desperation when shown how far he has to go that he showed early on.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i liked koga when he talked poo poo and got hit

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually now that I think about it, Saw Paing using Sekibayashi's technique would be really powerful.

People already break their bones when they punch him; imagine how much damage he could do to them if he received hits in a way that amplified that effect.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 162

Pools F and G are tough ones.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good, now we got the real tourney going,

I feel like this will be better, more pure Kengan fightman action

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

You know what? I kinda like these tourneys with randoms, just like the big middle arc of Garouden

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

frajaq posted:

You know what? I kinda like these tourneys with randoms, just like the big middle arc of Garouden

We do know MOST of the people in the tourney, and then adding some more works, mostly because that is something that Kengan has done before, and the round robin format will give some time to learn the unknown fighters.

Mark Myers is going to win his bracket if the start of Omega is accurate

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

frajaq posted:

Almost all of the cool Kengan characters that we like started off as randoms in a tournament arc!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Now that Xia was written off in a pathetic way, I will be rooting for Luca 'this bullshit is rigged' Tyrant.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm waiting for the worm to be back with their brilliant plan to have a bunch of their fighters infiltrate a fighting tournament and then die for some reason

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Haruo is shaped like a friend more then ever before

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kanos posted:

Almost all of the cool Kengan characters that we like started off as randoms in a tournament arc!

It's a little different now that we've got established strong characters, though

Omega is gonna have to work real hard to convince me the generic randos in Pool B are there for any reason besides to job to the KING OF STRANGLERS

Also, pouring one out for my boy Chiba who's signed up to lose, like every other fight he's had. Hopefully he's merely beaten, rather than getting killed in the ring by someone going murder-crazy

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Caidin posted:

Haruo is shaped like a friend more then ever before

I still love it so much that he actually gained weight instead of getting super cut when he reawakened

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

I still love it so much that he actually gained weight instead of getting super cut when he reawakened

Well I don't. Makes Seki a bad teacher when he promised Haruo that people can change and instead of sculpting the lad back into the true Indra, he let him be a slob.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lmfao all the Kims from the side story where everyone's trying to figure out who kim is during the purgatory tourney are there

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Well I don't. Makes Seki a bad teacher when he promised Haruo that people can change and instead of sculpting the lad back into the true Indra, he let him be a slob.

Haruo did change, he changed from a petulant man-baby to a well adjusted grown up, Seki never said he would make him thin and cut, he made him a better person, thats the TRUE POWER OF WRESTLING.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not sure how threatening a C-lister who has the potential to be a B-lister is supposed to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vizuyos posted:

It's a little different now that we've got established strong characters, though

Omega is gonna have to work real hard to convince me the generic randos in Pool B are there for any reason besides to job to the KING OF STRANGLERS

Also, pouring one out for my boy Chiba who's signed up to lose, like every other fight he's had. Hopefully he's merely beaten, rather than getting killed in the ring by someone going murder-crazy

Everyone in this series is introduced and characterized through tough fights.

Gaolang's first actual fight on-panel was against loving Agito. Gensai started as a random background character on the boat whose sole action before the Kengan tournament was to sculpt a statue with his fingers. His very first fight was obliterating Rihito(a character who we had spent a fair amount of time with), then his second fight ever was putting Kiryu(at that point effectively the main antagonist of the series) in the trash. He got basically no characterization until he fought Kiryu.

It's entirely possible that Cosmo is going to choke everyone in his bracket out sight unseen, but it's also possible that they might decide to have one of the new guys give him a real fight and make that person an actual character. Hell, we have an example of this happening already with Falcon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Haruo did change, he changed from a petulant man-baby to a well adjusted grown up, Seki never said he would make him thin and cut, he made him a better person, thats the TRUE POWER OF WRESTLING.

The whole point of Haruo was that he was overly indulgent and filled with vices and it's not even healthy for his body since his weight literally fucks up his knees. When he wanted to change, it was clear over-eating was one of his problems. Now he is still overly indulgent but I guess he's happy with himself and his boss who practices a very spartan training style just couldn't get him to drop weight. Yes, I expected Haruo to lose weight, this is not unreasonable. Sandrovich probably kept him fat as a joke like so much of Omega has turned out to be.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kanos posted:

Everyone in this series is introduced and characterized through tough fights.

Gaolang's first actual fight on-panel was against loving Agito. Gensai started as a random background character on the boat whose sole action before the Kengan tournament was to sculpt a statue with his fingers. His very first fight was obliterating Rihito(a character who we had spent a fair amount of time with), then his second fight ever was putting Kiryu(at that point effectively the main antagonist of the series) in the trash. He got basically no characterization until he fought Kiryu.

It's entirely possible that Cosmo is going to choke everyone in his bracket out sight unseen, but it's also possible that they might decide to have one of the new guys give him a real fight and make that person an actual character. Hell, we have an example of this happening already with Falcon.

To be fair, there was some foreshadowing about Kuroki's power (everyone avoiding matching up with him, Rihito ended up fighting him because all the other slots were taken), and by the time of the Rihito match, it was pretty much spelled out by, uh, Okubo, I think.

Also, I hated how Falcon's fight went, but he was a A-lister specifically chosen to represent Purgatory in the Kengan-Purgatory tournament, and Rihito was still one of the weaker members of the Kengan team and Purgatory needed some wins to make their stupid gimmicky poo poo look vaguely threatening.

Meanwhile, we have Kaede trying to hype up a tournament that includes C-listers (Koga's opponent) and B-Listers (Mike Myers was a C-lister who was considered mid B-lister level before the timeskip) and dudes who couldn't make it into the Kengan Annihilation tournament (the guys who got knocked out in the free-for-all prelims,). Like Ohma says, Koga really shouldn't have any trouble with his current opponent, a dude who couldn't even become a B-lister cause he got hurt.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, yeah, maybe the Supernovas are threatening but so far they haven't really been treated with respect (Wolf Soldier has repeatedly lost every fight he's been on-screen except his first fight against Koga, and the Greek pantheon guy got beaten by Ryuki).

I have hopes for Kim... Chancey? Chan Lee?

Who... who was I thinking about, again?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Koga's opponent is loving 6-2 in C-lister tier, that's really weak compared to people like Cosmo or Adam or Purgatory A-listers or Haruo.

And Koga's fuckin' trained with them.

Even making this dude seem vaguely threatening is stupid.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m sure there’ll be an upset and one of the no-names will turn out to be super strong somehow and make it to the top 8. Probably not from Koga, Ryuki, or Cosmo’s brackets though. Also I hope Ryo finally gets a win and crushes Haruo and Dudley

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be fair, there was some foreshadowing about Kuroki's power (everyone avoiding matching up with him, Rihito ended up fighting him because all the other slots were taken), and by the time of the Rihito match, it was pretty much spelled out by, uh, Okubo, I think.

Also, I hated how Falcon's fight went, but he was a A-lister specifically chosen to represent Purgatory in the Kengan-Purgatory tournament, and Rihito was still one of the weaker members of the Kengan team and Purgatory needed some wins to make their stupid gimmicky poo poo look vaguely threatening.

Meanwhile, we have Kaede trying to hype up a tournament that includes C-listers (Koga's opponent) and B-Listers (Mike Myers was a C-lister who was considered mid B-lister level before the timeskip) and dudes who couldn't make it into the Kengan Annihilation tournament (the guys who got knocked out in the free-for-all prelims,). Like Ohma says, Koga really shouldn't have any trouble with his current opponent, a dude who couldn't even become a B-lister cause he got hurt.

I mean, what's the alternative? Only have the top tier Kengan Annihilation Tournament guys on panel because we've already established our dozen "top tier" fighters so there's no room to introduce and build up anyone else? Ideally the point of a tournament arc with a bunch of new characters is to establish new up-and-comers.

I think one of the big mistakes of Purgatory vs Kengan is specifically that it was such a high stakes tournament with so many AAA fighters that the author was stuck. The Kengan team was stacked with super heavy hitters that had a manga worth of buildup behind them, so it was hard to make them take losses without it feeling weird or cheap. Surely this new guy we just met can't possibly be stronger than Gaolang/Agito/Ohma! So you ended up with weird compromises like Gaolang losing because he beat his opponent's rear end too hard.

This tournament has mostly new faces to show off against each other, and a small sprinkling of old established hands(but no real SSS tier fighters besides Cosmo) to provide a yardstick to measure the new blood against.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pool A: Pretty much all unknowns except Hong, who used to fight for the Arms Dealer. Hong got stomped by Sasuke, but is someone who survived fighting pre-tournament (a more ruthless) Agito, both physically and mentally (in that he was still willing to keep working as a fighter).

Pool B: Cosmo seems like the obvious winner here, the only other guy we know is the guy who practices Greek martial arts and lost to Ryuki.

Pool C: Rihito and a bunch of unknowns, Rihito better win this.

Pool D: We got 2 of the Supernovas (Kim from Purgatory and the monk from Kengan), a C-lister who was said to be mid B-lister level (Mike), and and unknown dude. As a Korean, I'm rootin' for Kim, who's supposed to be the strongest among the Supernovas.

Pool E: We got our main character Koga, a B-lister (the other Kim), a C-lister (the guy Koga's fighting), and a Kengan dude who lost to Hassad in the free-for-all prelims despite teaming up with another dude. Koga's got this in the bag.

Pool F: Honestly the toughest one. Adam and Haruo both fell in the first round of the tournament, but both have done a fuckton of training since then. Himuro lost to Kaneda, but he's not weak by any means. And then there's an unknown guy. Don't even know if he's Kengan or Purgatory. Honestly I love all 3 of the Kengan boys here, and would love to see any of them prove themselves.

Pool G: Another really tough one. Falcon's an A-lister with a stupid fighting style, Saw Paing is a quarter finalist in the Annihilation tournament, Sawada didn't really get to have a fair fight but probably would have lost to Julius (which is not a slight against him, Julius is built different), and Nam is a Supernova and a Purgatory B-lister. Probs Falcon or Saw Paing, though Saw Paing might still be recovering from his match against Sekibayashi.

Pool H: We got Ryuki, who has plot armor, Chiba, who's like a vastly downgraded Agito (but still good enough to get 4 consecutive wins by the timeskip before losing to Kiozan), another guy who lost to Hassad in the prelims, and then an unknown guy. Ryuki's got this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

There's not much I can or expect, I'm just bitchin' cause there's so much about Omega that I was disappointed by.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Pool C: Rihito and a bunch of unknowns, Rihito better win this.

Don't worry, Rihito the Superjober will be fine.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

kim jang gi will end up being a kuroki tier monster that would've turned the tides in the kengan vs purgatory matches

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idemitsu was going to recruit him for the Kengan-Purgatory matches but forgot he existed and only remembered after all 13 fighters had already been gathered.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Pool A: Pretty much all unknowns except Hong, who used to fight for the Arms Dealer. Hong got stomped by Sasuke, but is someone who survived fighting pre-tournament (a more ruthless) Agito, both physically and mentally (in that he was still willing to keep working as a fighter).

Good rundown but would just mention Leonardo Silva in Pool A is a supernova.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

team overhead smash posted:

Good rundown but would just mention Leonardo Silva in Pool A is a supernova.

Oh gently caress you're right. I didn't recognize him without his hat.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Anyone going on about how obvious something is should keep in mind how we all felt about the main character's chances of winning the first tournament before Kuroki, and also how we felt about the chances of the big Kengan vs. Purgatory tournament not being a big stupid worm carnival.

Like, I'm pretty sure Koga's going to at least make it to the actual tournament, but who knows once he gets there.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 9, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I dunno if Koga or Ryuki are gonna win the whole thing, but I'm somewhat confident that they're not falling in the prelims.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the only things I'm truly confident in are the Koga and Ryuki making it to the actual tournament and Dudley's fight being amazing. But hey, I've been wrong before.

I hope Rihito doesn't get robbed again....

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm super excited for Pool F.

And for Kim Chang-gi.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pool G is gonna be a fun one.

And I wanna see what kind of bullshit Chiba's gonna be up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We're presumably only going to see koga and ryukis matches here. Possibly Cosmo and the Adam Dudley/haruo/himuro matches but I'm less confident