Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Doronin posted:

That's made pretty clear in one of the books, Bloodline by Claudia Gray. It takes place during Leia's turn as a New Republic senator(?, I can't quite recall if that's what her office was, but whatever), but it illustrates a faction of senators who are devoted to the idea of the Empire and collect imperial relics. The closer a relic was to anything to do with Darth Vader or Sheev, the more valuable it was (ie - a Royal Guard's helmet and force pike were extremely valuable). The fact that Leia got outed as the daughter of Anakin Skywalker in that story was something I recall being really interesting. Either way, that faction of senators and "nobility," if you will, were also funneling resources and covering for the nascent First Order.
That's pretty funny since Vader loving hated the officer corps, not to say that it's implausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

A bit I forgot to mention about my rewatch of TROS: What's the point of the scene where Kylo has his helmet reforged? Why not just get another one? And he immediately takes it off. I guess they decided to use that bit from Duel of the Fates and play it for laffs.

It’s a clever giant neon sign letting you know you can forget everything before it

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

A bit I forgot to mention about my rewatch of TROS: What's the point of the scene where Kylo has his helmet reforged? Why not just get another one?
Intratextually: "No, gently caress YOU, Snoke!"
Metatextually: "No, gently caress YOU, Rian!"

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Halloween Jack posted:

That's pretty funny since Vader loving hated the officer corps, not to say that it's implausible.

It was a not-so-subtle allegory for the types of ghouls who fawn over the Third Reich in spite of the fact that the regime would have probably put them in a concentration camp or just had them shot. They were either a little too young to appreciate how bad the Empire really was, or old enough to appreciate it but were on the 'right' side of it and thought it was great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, so there's a big neo-folk scene on Coruscant.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t understand how Rose and DJ are meant to be presenting opposite worldviews. They’re non-intersecting. Rose believes, generically, in loving things and “fighting to save what you love” and DJ believes that the conflict is eternal because the people with power are interested in seeing it continue so they can make more money, and that the best regular people can do is make a little money for themselves. Why Rose is fighting doesn’t matter, as long as she’s fighting the cycle continues and DJ is correct.
It's the same problem as Ready Player One: acknowledging a critique so that you can ignore it going forward. Like, the setup makes it clear that OASIS is just as oppressive as the shantytowns, but the rest of the movie is going "Nuh-uh! The good guys will win!"

The PT is about all these "good guys" getting duped by Palpatine. Acting on their genuinely-held beliefs just plays into his hands. Rose says "Nuh-uh" and goes on fighting.

In RP1 there's this fantasy of nerdy "authenticity" to unpack. In TLJ it's just lame platitudes about hope and love.

(For all the alt-right shrieking at TLJ, these are the movie's actual liberal values: it doesn't matter if you win or lose. What matters is "standing up to" the Bad Guys, so that it's not personally your fault when your faction fails and loses constantly.)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My report is on bats.
(1/58)

Dusk! With a creepy, tingling sensation, you hear the fluttering of leathery wings! BATS!
With glowing red eyes and glistening fangs, these unspeakable giant bugs drop onto...
(2/58)

lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I read through the rest of the Twitter Guy Twitter Thread essay thing for more weird takes, but he just says various things were good. Like, the scene where Leia gets knocked unconscious made him sad & the whole audience was crying!

The only interpretation he does is to claim that, all along, Holdo’s goal was to purely stall for time long enough for Luke to show up & do his propaganda. That actually is the strongest interpretation of the events, so kudos to him!

However, he then falsely concludes that this was really great because it inspired Broom Kid and his slave friends to commandeer all those heroic ships at the end of Episode 9. Even if he’s talking metaphorically, that’s not even remotely accurate.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 8, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The republic/jedi would not help broom kid at least three times over: they aren't apparently opposed to slavery, even if they were they have no jurisdiction on a neutral planet, even if the republic wanted to try anyway canto bight has a bit of a checkmate in selling both sides in the war all their weapons. Even if he and the gang tried to overthrow the regime themselves the republic would probably intervene in the regime's defense if anything. Really his only hope is a jedi buying him, something that went great last time.

But anyway, hope

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The phantasmal Broom Kid really is the liberal dream that Someone Will Appear to save us:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Broom Kid died because you didnt trust Hillary enough

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Even if he’s talking metaphorically, that’s not even remotely accurate.
This just reminds me of how compressed everything is. Like Broom Kid could be on one of those ships if the whole ST didn't take place over a matter of months.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My report is on bats.
(1/58)

Dusk! With a creepy, tingling sensation, you hear the fluttering of leathery wings! BATS!
With glowing red eyes and glistening fangs, these unspeakable giant bugs drop onto...
(2/58)

Hang on...I wanna hear more about those bats.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No but seriously, I loving hate Twitter, and massive threads like that are a big reason why. That's not how people should read things, god dammit.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I loving love how you all covered how dumb that tweet thread was. On top of which, he locked it so that you can't actually tweet him anything about it in the thread, unless your his friend. it's a new tweet trend, where you write something about entertainment, but then lock it so that you can't actually say anything other than "This guy gets it. Destroying TLJ haters!"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
good lord Obi Wan Kenobi is a terrible show. 4 of 6 episodes and it's still hot garbage.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

The problem is that it abruptly stops making GBS threads on him for no reason; he fucks everything up, gets hundreds of people killed... and then Holdo inexplicably says she likes him and Leia lets him take over. He learns nothing and faces no consequences. Like a lot of TLJ, it's a giant shaggy dog story.

Except it's not even clear what he was supposed to learn.

The more I think about TLJ, the more the film's central conflict is actually between the dialogue and the events of the film. For instance, in the dialogue, the war is driven by war profiteers playing both sides. In the events of the film, the profiteers don't even seem to know the star war is happening, how close it is to actually ending and have exclusively armed one side with really cool poo poo.

And the annoying part is that the war profiteers showing up towards the third act (for instance, switch out DJ with someone who's less ambiguous, extremely helpful and just happens to know where a massive store of high tech weapons are) would allow a genuine inversion. The battle of Crait visually references the battle of Hoth, and plays out the same way. Maybe, with the help of the new, high tech weapons, the Rebellion actually wins a pitched battle with the First Order, but at the potential cost of their scrappy underdog identity.

I used to think that Canto Bight annoyed me because, watching it, I knew it wasn't going to be followed up in the next film. Over time, I've come to realise that it annoys me because it isn't even followed up in its own film. It's like an interesting little short film in the middle of another film that never attaches to the rest of the movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Glottis posted:

good lord Obi Wan Kenobi is a terrible show. 4 of 6 episodes and it's still hot garbage.

How do they manage to have a six episode run and still have what feels like filler, it's baffling

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Glottis posted:

This show loving sucks holy poo poo.

The Austin Powers trenchcoat coupled with sub-Black Widow compositing in the hangar shootout... that's where my sanity broke.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna go on record that I like Poe and I think he’s charming and charismatic and I like seeing him succeed and do cool things, and I’m glad they didn’t kill him in TFA.

THAT SAID he kinda hosed up in TLJ and I wish the movie had taken the time to have him recognize that and grow and reflect, even if he still gets to largely be charming and funny afterwards.

Also I’m reading the Poe Dameron comics that lead up to TFA and they’re a hoot, the villain is loving great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: wrong thread

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I know we have mixed feelings about EU material ITT, but the time poe farted at a wedding really adds a lot of context and shading to the character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5Tk5jS7lw

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 9, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xenomrph posted:

Gonna go on record that I like Poe and I think he’s charming and charismatic and I like seeing him succeed and do cool things, and I’m glad they didn’t kill him in TFA.

THAT SAID he kinda hosed up in TLJ and I wish the movie had taken the time to have him recognize that and grow and reflect, even if he still gets to largely be charming and funny afterwards.

Also I’m reading the Poe Dameron comics that lead up to TFA and they’re a hoot, the villain is loving great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

See, like, that’s legit funny. I like the implication that he’s a fantastic pilot… some of the time, like it’s a skill he can’t control that switches on and off but it never gets him killed so he just keeps on trucking, making (maybe sometimes legitimate?) excuses for why he buried another X-wing’s nose into the ground, but the Resistance keeps giving him more X-wings because he’s apparently unkillable and when he’s on-point, he’s *really* good.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Poe is objectively the best pilot in Star Wars, ever, and TROS doesn't even remotely use that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Glottis posted:

Poe is objectively the best pilot in Star Wars, ever, and TROS doesn't even remotely use that.

He even manages to crash the Falcon (off-screen) for no reason.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

See, like, that’s legit funny. I like the implication that he’s a fantastic pilot… some of the time, like it’s a skill he can’t control that switches on and off but it never gets him killed so he just keeps on trucking, making (maybe sometimes legitimate?) excuses for why he buried another X-wing’s nose into the ground, but the Resistance keeps giving him more X-wings because he’s apparently unkillable and when he’s on-point, he’s *really* good.

He's a great pilot once the ship is in the air, it's just the whole "getting the ship back down" that he has trouble with. Or he's legitimately just equal parts the best pilot and the most unlucky.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Randalor posted:

He's a great pilot once the ship is in the air, it's just the whole "getting the ship back down" that he has trouble with.

Oh my god, I just realized they’re gonna make Oscar Isaac the new Indiana Jones one day, aren’t they?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
it kinda sucks because Poe being an absolute badass in an X-Wing (or whatever the gently caress they are called now) is one of the best parts of TFA. I have no clue why JJ didn't want to bring that back. I would have loved a sequence where he loving tears into the First Order fighters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Glottis posted:

He does a pretty solid job out-flying those TIEs when he’s lightspeed skipping. It’s rapid-fire nonsense but it works, it gives really quick glimpses of a bunch of random and unique cool-looking stuff.

Shame about that landing, though.

The crash and Rey/Poe’s exchange afterward about how Poe wrecked the Falcon and Rey trashed BB8 is also funny.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hi, I'm WADE, your latest Star War. I can't wait to entertain you

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
poe dameron is launchpad mcquack

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

I used to think that Canto Bight annoyed me because, watching it, I knew it wasn't going to be followed up in the next film. Over time, I've come to realise that it annoys me because it isn't even followed up in its own film. It's like an interesting little short film in the middle of another film that never attaches to the rest of the movie.

On top of having this half-baked preachy message, it's also got this weird spy movie plot going on. What is that supposed to say? Finn and Rose are supposed to find The Man With The Scarlet Whatever, fail and pick up DJ instead. I haven't quite unpacked how those plot beats are connected to the overall message of the scene because it all feels so pointless.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Oh my god, I just realized they’re gonna make Oscar Isaac the new Indiana Jones one day, aren’t they?

he’d be perfect in a Spaceballs reboot but they already stole some of the bits.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

And the annoying part is that the war profiteers showing up towards the third act (for instance, switch out DJ with someone who's less ambiguous, extremely helpful and just happens to know where a massive store of high tech weapons are) would allow a genuine inversion. The battle of Crait visually references the battle of Hoth, and plays out the same way. Maybe, with the help of the new, high tech weapons, the Rebellion actually wins a pitched battle with the First Order, but at the potential cost of their scrappy underdog identity.

(Really nice post, you captured some things that have been on the tip of my tongue for a while.)

"Conspicuously helpful advice from the arms dealers" could also be a nice explanation for eg where the holdo maneuver came from.

I guess the problem with it is "how do we deal with the arms dealers" completely hijacks the story from that point, and that's a story disney would never ever do. I'm not sure if anyone here ever watched legend of galactic heroes, I only began it, but a lot of things about the canto bight/arms dealer scenario remind me in a scuffed way of the setup of phezzan in that universe, almost approaching conspicuously so. If anyone has watched such anime it's surely rian

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

thrawn527 posted:

I think his experience with Star Wars has probably put him off being a franchise guy. If we see him in an Indiana Jones movie, we know he really wanted to buy a new house

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

drat the empire look real dumb unable to suss out a man in a trench coach with a child hiding under it
also the choreography is just rough
and lastly I feel bad for the adult threating a child for info, it just comes off to me as so petty and sad

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ruddiger posted:

he’d be perfect in a Spaceballs reboot but they already stole some of the bits.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
So, TLJ is the grimdark version of Spaceballs?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
TFA=The Last Starfighter
TLJ=Spaceballs
TRoS=Jason X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Glottis posted:

I'm not about to watch TROS again to check, but I'm pretty sure early on in the movie Poe laments the fact that their best pilot Rey isn't with them.