Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lived on $1.50 hot dogs and (free refills) for weeks until I could afford to rejoin society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I sure do love when "just the essentials" Costco trips turn into $800, two-cart ventures.

Got a big bag of fried jalapenos for salad topping or whatever. They have a nice slow building heat but need salt as they are pretty bland on their own.

Happily, Caribbean Food Delights Jamaican beef patties were back in stock so I got a box of them. No other beef patty compares.

To keep my small children occupied while we shopped, my wife gave them a little kids' book that played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. They promptly destroyed it, literally tearing it in half. When we tried to pay for it at the register, the checker said "We're a billion dollar company. Go get another one". PBUC.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Midniter posted:

Got a big bag of fried jalapenos for salad topping or whatever. They have a nice slow building heat but need salt as they are pretty bland on their own.

Those are… OK. I’m not sure I finished the bag. I got pretty sick of them and ended up tossing them out when they inevitably got stale.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
No, hotdog price is a not going up

quote:

Since 1985, Costco’s $1.50 hot dog combo deal has been a company staple. In 2021, Costco sold more than 122 million hot dog and soda combos worldwide, the company announced in January 2022.

On May 18, a tweet claiming Costco had announced plans to raise the price of its hot dog combo from $1.50 to $2.50 because of inflation went viral, garnering more than 5,000 likes. The claim was also shared by several verified Twitter accounts, including the House GOP, which blamed the Biden administration for the alleged hot dog price increase.

quote:

THE QUESTION
Is Costco raising the price of its hot dog combo?

THE SOURCES
Bob Nelson, Costco’s senior vice president of finance and investor relations
Independent VERIFY investigations at Costco locations in California and Maryland
THE ANSWER
This is false.
No, Costco is not raising the price of its hot dog combo.

WHAT WE FOUND
Bob Nelson, Costco’s senior vice president of finance and investor relations, addressed the hot dog price increase claims during the company’s Q3 earnings call on May 26. Nelson, who called the claims “incorrect information,” told shareholders the company has no plans to raise the price of its hot dog combo anytime soon.

“I want to address some incorrect information floating around on social media and a few other media outlets claiming that we have increased the price of our $1.50 hot dog-and-soda combinations sold in our food courts. Let me just say the price, when we introduced the hot dog-soda combo in the mid-'80s, was $1.50. The price today is $1.50, and we have no plans to increase the price at this time,” Nelson said.

VERIFY also conducted our own independent investigations at Costcos located in San Diego and Glenarden, Maryland, and can confirm the hot dog combo remains $1.50 for an all-beef hot dog and a 20-ounce soda, with a refill, as of June 6.

Craig Jelinek, Costco’s president, CEO, and director, said he brought up raising the price of the popular cheap eat once but was met with a threat from the company’s co-founder Jim Sinegal.

Sharing the story during a luncheon held by the Greater Issaquah Chamber of Commerce in 2018, Jelinek said he went to Sinegal one day and explained, “Jim, we can’t sell this hot dog for a buck fifty. We are losing our rear ends.”

Jelinek said Sinegal replied by saying, “If you raise the effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out.”

Jelinek said Costco figured out how to avoid raising the price by building its own hot dog manufacturing plants in Los Angeles and Chicago and selling the hot dogs under its Kirkland Signature brand.

“By having the discipline to say, ‘You are not going to be able to raise your price. You have to figure it out,’ we took it over and started manufacturing our hot dogs. We keep it at $1.50 and make enough money to get a fair return,” Jelinek said, according to news reports.

Gettin dogs as part of the research cracked me up.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Say I just wanted protein, what would be some good things to consider that arent just the giant bags of jerky that are also turning me into jerky

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

5000 likes is not viral

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

Say I just wanted protein, what would be some good things to consider that arent just the giant bags of jerky that are also turning me into jerky

Like, snacks or meal ingredients?

If they carry Parmesan crisp crackers (mine has everything bagel flavor), those are great.

Also, I get this parm keto snack mix that I like. Not great on the macros but better than most snacks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Angry Asian posted:

butthole feels refreshingly clean

Any change in how it looks?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Chad Jihad posted:

Nuts? Eggs?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Really enjoying the Taiwanese Sticky Rice packets from my local co for a no-effort lunch. It’s got a bunch of mushrooms and seafood and umami flavor in it, would recommend.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Whey

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Chad Jihad posted:

The carton(s) of liquid egg whites. Basically pure protein, you can add a little cheese to jazz it up in an omelet or on a sandwich or something or just cook and it eat straight. It's about as close to pure protein as you can get.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I guess I just bought a house (going through inspection and closing process)

How good is getting appliances and furniture from Costco? I've heard the experience varies, while you know you're buying good stuff from Costco, the actual delivery service (which is third party) may vary by area.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

5000 likes is not viral

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I guess I just bought a house (going through inspection and closing process)

How good is getting appliances and furniture from Costco? I've heard the experience varies, while you know you're buying good stuff from Costco, the actual delivery service (which is third party) may vary by area.

Congrats!

Depending upon where you are in the US, the appliance might actually be delivered by Costco directly. Right at the start of the pandemic they bought out the old Sears delivery company, so more and more things are being delivered by them instead of outsourced. Last year I decided to buy a chest freezer, and it was delivered within 3 days by Costco directly, right into my garage.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

binge crotching posted:

Congrats!

Depending upon where you are in the US, the appliance might actually be delivered by Costco directly. Right at the start of the pandemic they bought out the old Sears delivery company, so more and more things are being delivered by them instead of outsourced. Last year I decided to buy a chest freezer, and it was delivered within 3 days by Costco directly, right into my garage.

That's awesome. A lot of stuff at Costco does seem to be in our price range so we may just do pbuc for most of the stuff we would need to outfit the house(definitely peeping those robot vacuums)

Will they pick up old appliances? You probably just get to write them off as a tax for donation or something I bet.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ineffiable posted:

That's awesome. A lot of stuff at Costco does seem to be in our price range so we may just do pbuc for most of the stuff we would need to outfit the house(definitely peeping those robot vacuums)

Will they pick up old appliances? You probably just get to write them off as a tax for donation or something I bet.

Usually you are just glad to get rid of them and will pay anyone anything to take them.
Check if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore around, there are certain things they'll take.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

My costco appliance deliveries have included haul away of the old ones but some reviews make it sound like that's not always the case. Check the fine print!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

CitizenKain posted:

Check if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore around, there are certain things they'll take.

I used to volunteer at a local Habitat Restore. Please, please make sure that you donate stuff that still works fairly well because the Restore is not a dump.

e:my first job at the Restore was to clean a fridge. it was literally covered in stickers; lots and lots of stickers. I probably went through two full bottle of Goo Gone by the time I was done. It also dawned on me that this was a very gentle form of hazing for the new volunteer. At the end of the day it was a good experience, but again, please make sure you donate good working equipment to your local Restore.

Anyway, Costco is amazing. My brother lived in Ukraine for a couple years, eating foods at the local open air outdoor markets. When he came back, going to a Costco blew his loving mind.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 7, 2022

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

binge crotching posted:

Congrats!

About a month ago I had one of those plastic outdoor storage sheds (but like half height for trashcans thing) delivered. Per the costco emails it was supposed to arrive at the delivery company who would then schedule a delivery time with me directly.

What ended up happening is CEVA dumped it on my front porch without so much as a knock at the door. If I didn't have my own fat tire dolly to ratchet strap it on for hauling to my backyard I would have been in an even more annoying situation as it's a giant palletized cardboard box with 150lbs of poo poo inside.

Costco delivery is a land of contrasts (but Costco CS is responsive to any issues you need resolved the times I have interacted with them).

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

The Chad Jihad posted:

have you considered the humble $1.50 hot dog?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Friend posted:

I'm sorry for you for every time you have to poop during work/travel/at someone else's house now. Someday we will enlighten the world though

It was this pain that led me to discover the Toto Portable Travel Washlet, White - HW300#W

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wayne Knight posted:

It was this pain that led me to discover the Toto Portable Travel Washlet, White - HW300#W

I'm sorry for the host for every time you have to poop during work/travel/at someone else's house now

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shrimp wonton ramen is an easy and quick dinner, def needs a hefty splash of soy sauce tho

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Wayne Knight posted:

So much easier than bringing a hose with me on every trip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheSmarmyBum/status/1534570940327002112?t=ruPPJ-dQ2AHUURU06SSgxA&s=19

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I really like the Banhez mescal and I’m very glad Costco picked it up.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.costco.com/lg-65%22-cla....100761679.html

I've been eyeballing a 65" LG C1 for a while now and heavily contemplating it every time I visit my local store. But now I'm at a crossroads.

Online and in stores it's $1599 but says the price expires 7/4/2022. Knowing that the C1 is a discontinued product from LG and stores are trying to clear existing stock, do I get it now or see if the price goes down for some 4th of July sale?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
We're waiting and checking the price for the 77" version of the same TV. Last time the price expired it went down $100. I'm willing to wait and see.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

jisforjosh posted:

I've been eyeballing a 65" LG C1 for a while now and heavily contemplating it every time I visit my local store. But now I'm at a crossroads.

Online and in stores it's $1599 but says the price expires 7/4/2022. Knowing that the C1 is a discontinued product from LG and stores are trying to clear existing stock, do I get it now or see if the price goes down for some 4th of July sale?

I doubt it will go down much from there, you are more at risk of it disappearing from the store before it gets that much cheaper. That is a wild price for a OLED.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

I really like the Banhez mescal and I’m very glad Costco picked it up.

oh poo poo, a good friend of mine is a big player in Banhez, that's fuckin tight. didn't know Costco starting slinging their stuff, it's good

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

It’s this price everywhere right now. The “deal” is you get the 5 year insurance bullshit.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
They’ll price match within thirty days iirc, might as well grab it now.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

I am apparently faceblind because I had to go into the replies to figure out that it's the actors from Breaking Bad

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I am apparently faceblind because I had to go into the replies to figure out that it's the actors from Breaking Bad

TBF they’re like 10 years older at this point.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

TBF they’re like 10 years older at this point.

And one has more hair on the top and less on the bottom of his head, and the other is the reverse.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It would be pretty funny if that tweet was just two random dudes selling mezcal. Brian and Aaron just chilling and talking to shoppers about agave

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

SirPablo posted:

I got the big $10 fruit bowl. Seemed like a decent deal, especially considering it'd cost $147 in an airport.

The fruit bucket and the veggie tray are godsends for packing childrens' lunches for school.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

just cooked up a dill salad and i didnt even need to read the instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Kevin DuBrow posted:

They are wearing name tags.