Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/mockneyrebel/status/1534134444545691649?s=21&t=dVtfHftef_TkeOkEuuJh_Q

You guys are joking right? You’re not actually supporting this poo poo? gently caress this rear end in a top hat and every other shithead who joined up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The Liv stuff is transparently a way for players to give the middle finger to the PGA while also pocketing a ton of money from reprehensible sources

It's loving gross

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Maestro posted:

https://twitter.com/mockneyrebel/status/1534134444545691649?s=21&t=dVtfHftef_TkeOkEuuJh_Q

You guys are joking right? You’re not actually supporting this poo poo? gently caress this rear end in a top hat and every other shithead who joined up.

Unsurprisingly the golf group I'm in there are a lot of people who are saying, well the tour pros are just doing what they have the right to, stop asking them stupid questions! There is nothing wrong with the LIV tour! You'd do the same thing!

Remember I'm in Florida so, yeah.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There's really a generational/wealth divide on this issue. Most conservative golfers are on the "whatabout the US crimes" and "whatabout China!!?" and "those men are underpaid! They should get the money!"

These are the same imbecils who are firmly in the "Saudis did 9/11! Sharia law is coming to America! Biden is in league with the Arabs!"; so, not only are they racists, but they are hypocritical even within their own racism.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

ElGroucho posted:

These are the same imbecils who are firmly in the "Saudis did 9/11! Sharia law is coming to America! Biden is in league with the Arabs!"; so, not only are they racists, but they are hypocritical even within their own racism.

Uh, the Saudis kinda did do 9/11.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just realised that the thumbnail for the 4th Round of the 149th Open shows Colin Morikawa holding the Claret Jug. Dang, I just spoiled myself.

I'm currently a quarter of the way into the 2nd Round and Morikawa just slipped past Oosthuizen.

edit:

I think my friends are gently encouraging me in the direction of watching Snooker. Because it's as relaxing as Golf but I think it's something we'd all be equally interested in. But that doesn't mean I have to lose all interest in Golf I guess.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 10, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm getting worse.

Shot a 51 this morning (par is 29). Opened it triple/double/quad. Then lost two in the water on 7, two on 8, and for good measure one on 9. 51 is a new record worst score on this course for me. Pretty much everything felt wrong.

Why does golf torture me like this

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I hope you get better because I like seeing people happy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That’s the thing about golf - no matter how well you play you’re always annoyed at that one stroke you left out there. Golf isn’t for people to feel happy about.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just typed Can Yoga Help With Golf. Apparently it can!

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Prurient Squid posted:

I just realised that the thumbnail for the 4th Round of the 149th Open shows Colin Morikawa holding the Claret Jug. Dang, I just spoiled myself.

It's not great when this happens.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Prurient Squid posted:

I just typed Can Yoga Help With Golf. Apparently it can!

Yes, it can help a lot actually. The more flexible and loose your muscles are the more freely you can move to ensure a good swing, or a faster club head speed (which means more distance).

It is actually something I've been thinking about a fair bit lately. I've got a couple of big range gaps in my bag, mainly between my driver and my 3H and then my 3H to my 5i. At first I was considering going for a fitting to find a good combo of hybrids and woods that would fill in some of those range gaps, but more recently I've been thinking about just doing a bunch of yoga and pilates, and then just hit the ball harder :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

That’s the thing about golf - no matter how well you play you’re always annoyed at that one stroke you left out there. Golf isn’t for people to feel happy about.
Golf is likely the most masochistic popular hobby.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I just like chasing a little white ball. Beer helps.

Anno
May 10, 2017

My other main adult hobby (before having a kid) was playing Dota, and honestly I feel like there's a huge overlap between Dota and golf, and ultimately I played them for the same reasons. It's weird.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I demo’ed a Stealth driver today on the course and then had a few swings on a Trackman and my G410 Plus was better in pretty much every metric. I could have tried a Stealth+ too but I was already only spinning the regular Stealth (and my Ping) in the low 2000s so it didn’t seem worth it. The carbon face definitely felt/sounded different but I could get used to it. Based on my numbers with the Ping I really am not sure how anything else would outperform it and since I like the shape and feel I guess its spot in my bag is safe for a while.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 11, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Golf is likely the most masochistic popular hobby.

No poo poo.

I just watched my buddy finish bogey, bogey, bogey to shoot 80... he's never broken 80.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Speaking of masochism, I'm playing in the Los Angeles City championship next week after not bothering for the last 5 or 6 years. It's the biggest amateur event in SoCal outside of USGA/SCGA stuff and one guy who was a pro for a minute back in the early 90s has won it like 12 times in the last 20 years.

Championship flight is 4 days of stroke play on 2 courses, all gross scoring. Looks like they took 180 entrants this year and there's a cut down to the top 52 and ties after the 2nd round. Cut last year with a smaller field was around +6 and the guy who won shot -17 (same guy I mentioned above). My buddy came in 2nd after shooting -6 on the last day to get to -12 total.

My goal is just to try and keep it around even par for the first 2 days and see if I can make the cut.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Anno posted:

My other main adult hobby (before having a kid) was playing Dota, and honestly I feel like there's a huge overlap between Dota and golf, and ultimately I played them for the same reasons. It's weird.

As a former Dota player, I know exactly what you are talking about. Something about the constant uphill battle in both dota and golf that makes you want to quit and then you get one great putt one or you hit a perfect Ravage and you go “ah this game’s pretty good”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

No poo poo.

I just watched my buddy finish bogey, bogey, bogey to shoot 80... he's never broken 80.

:stonklol: :negative:

When the golf gods want to mess with you…

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

BCRock posted:

Speaking of masochism, I'm playing in the Los Angeles City championship next week.

Good luck and play well. What’s the entry requirement, under 5hc?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Apparently today is also a shotgun start for LIV, despite what I read on GolfWRX. I'm not a fan of that since it makes it tougher to know who has the advantage at the end of the round with a few holes to play. IE there might be two guys tied for the lead with 2 holes left, but one has a tough par 3 and par 4 and the other guy has a reachable par five and short par four or something.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I'm mainly in the anti-LIV camp due to the funding source, but even if it were private equity like the PGL wants to be, the shotgun start doesn't help keep my interest at all. At the very least, they need to reshuffle the groups so the leaders go off 1A and 1B or something on the final day. As stated above, not every hole is the same, so being one back with three holes of play can mean you're toast if they are the hardest holes on the course, or it could mean that you stand a good chance to take the lead if they are scoreable.

Multimillionaires getting richer doesn't really do anything for me, and if I have less of an idea of how competitive the tournament really is, then I'm not going to watch it long-term.

I find the discussion of the majors interesting. LIV is not going to (nor are they trying to) turn a profit at all, so unless the PGA Tour restructures itself, they're going to lose more and more top players to the ridiculous purses of the LIV unless the majors start banning them from entry. I know the majors are separate entities, but the PGA of America has indicated that they are not allowing LIV players to participate in the PGA championship or the Ryder Cup, and there are rumors that the Masters is waiting to announce a ban on LIV participants, past champions or no.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watching a bit more of the LIV Golf this morning. I had a thought, the best analogy is Redzone Channel. Obviously free stream and no commercials is great but that’s not sustainable for anyone except Saudi. And they’re playing a lot more pre-recorded packages now anyway. But the main thing is that while Redzone shows you highlight after highlight, I have no sense of the flow of any of the games. So if my team is playing, I prefer the normal broadcast even if I have to suffer through commercials.

LIV is the same way. I think what people miss is that shot after shot after shot seems like it addresses the complaint of people who say golf is boring to watch, but to them, a golf shot will never be enough action.

Also the team element of LIV is a complete afterthought. Lots of bluster but nobody cares.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea the team stuff is just…. Not a thing that makes golf competitive or interesting on a weekly basis. Its unclear what anyone in LIV is really playing for.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Well they’re playing to make themselves loads of money, rehab the Saudis and probably to stick it to the Tour a bit. None of those things mean that the golf is going to be good, so ultimately this just sucks for basically everyone except the people directly involved.

Meanwhile the best the PGA tour can come up with in retort is “Yeah well you’re suspended and can’t come back. Our principled players will be over here making way less money and working way harder.”

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 11, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
LIV broadcast needs to go full "Nickelodeon doing the NFL playoffs" and have monsters pop up all over and of course, lots and lots of slime.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Anno posted:

Well they’re playing to make themselves loads of money, rehab the Saudis and probably to stick it to the Tour a bit. None of those things mean that the golf is going to be good, so ultimately this just sucks for basically everyone except the people directly involved.

Meanwhile the best the PGA tour can come up with in retort is “Yeah well you’re suspended and can’t come back. Our principled players will be over here making way less money and working way harder.”

There’s a lot more to it then just purses though. I also don’t think LIV is just going to be able to generate 0 revenue indefinitely

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
The Saudis have a plan to become the next Dubai. Vision 2030, I think it's called. They're gonna dump $600 BILLION into poo poo exactly like this, all so people view them in a favorable light and continue trade.

This league will not be profitable. But they'll make sure it's not a COMPLETE joke.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Christ "The Rink" at 16 at the RBC is awesome but holy poo poo it's like 10 times the pressure of a normal hole.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Schwartzel won a total of $4.75million this week apparently. That is a pretty crazy amount for a no-cut limited field event. I really think there’s going to be more players committing to LIV in the near future, regardless of concerns about Saudi money, sportswashing, etc.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Suprfli6 posted:

I really think there’s going to be more players committing to LIV in the near future, regardless of concerns about Saudi money, sportswashing, etc.

To be fair I don't think there's a ton of concern about that amongst the playerbase to begin with.

Are these all going to be 48 player fields? If so what happens to the bad players who take these ludicrous contracts and then are immediately out of playing because a bunch of better players came? I guess for now it's fine for them if they were paid upfront but what about after that?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I don’t think there’s a clear answer to that yet. If they stick to the shotgun start format, they are pretty limited on total number of players in a given tournament unless they start doing morning and afternoon flights.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
In a 48 man, shotgun start tournament, there were only 24 stalls at the driving range lol.

Let's hope they do better in Portland.

Went to the hometown goat track this afternoon.

I was shamed into walking instead of taking a cart, so I was absolutely gassed by the end. We had to play some holes out of order to skip a set of slower seniors

Holes 1-10, then 14-17, then 11-13, then 18.

Best score I've shot in a long time. LIV will probably call soon. AMA.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So of course the day my Miura's finally arrive there are thunderstorms here. Might have to take them sim golfing. The urge to hit them is strong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

No poo poo.

gently caress, that might've gotten me to toss a club

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do we think Saudi actually wants to take over professional golf or only use LIV for sportswashing? They plan to have 15 events next year, which if you add the 4 majors, that's basically a full schedule for the top players. So in a scenario where most of the top players move over to LIV, what happens to professional golf? The PGA Tour would collapse, same for the European Tour. If you're a top player on LIV, great, but for anyone outside the top 50, do you basically have to quit professional golf? In order to keep your PGA Tour card, you have to make about $1 million/year, so while it's a grind, it's a very good living.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 12, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man dog everyone is coming alive this last round of the RBC

Anno
May 10, 2017

Justin Rose is looking to shoot a 59 today with a bogey on the second easiest hole on the course and two bogeys overall. And between Rory and JT he might not be the only one under 60.

edit: Then 2 of the 3 promptly bogey lol

Anno fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I played my home course from the tips today—7330ish—with U.S. Open Sectional pins and shot 84. Probably had a good shot at breaking 80 but completely ran out of gas around 14. It was way hot and I didn’t eat anything besides a protein bar.

View from the first of the two 600+ yard par 5s on the back, which had about a 250 carry to the fairway.

Here’s the other one

Omerta fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 12, 2022