Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Squiggle posted:

Wait where's web4

Did I miss web4

Web5 is two bad ideas giving each other a high 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Wait where's web4

Did I miss web4

web2 + web3 = web5

that is their actual excuse for the name

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jack seems like a dingus who just kind of got lucky with twitter and square but has convinced himself that he is some kind of revolutionary genius. Basically like all tech bros I guess.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Picturing a group of the planet's dumbest people puzzling over a whiteboard that just says "web3??" and someone else walks up and crosses out the 3 and writes 4, and they all nod along excitedly until atjack saunters up with a "this is to go even further beyond,"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^
Jack is a broke brain billionaire that thinks his sub 1000 calorie diet is what allows his brain on a whole another level and makes ihm superior to use normal people.

and yet the Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective is still a better game / greater impact on civilization / piece of art.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Probably the same reason WinAmp went from 3 to 5.

Who wants to create a Web4skin.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Main Paineframe posted:

web2 + web3 = web5

Except the webpage says (Web2)(Web3) = Web5. So really it should be Web6 if they are multiplying like their thing indicates.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A decentralized network of computers, you say?

That's a stupid idea. It would just be a matter of time before someone does something stupid like try to make a fake currency on it.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Winamp also went from version 3 to 5, so I guess there's something to it? :shrug:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sure but that really whipped the llama's rear end, web3 has never done that even once. web3 whips absolutely no rear end of any sort

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Squibbles posted:

Except the webpage says (Web2)(Web3) = Web5. So really it should be Web6 if they are multiplying like their thing indicates.

Web growth is exponential so they add, not multiply. :rolleyes:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Party Ape posted:

Holy poo poo guys, after more than a decade of trying to figure out a use for blockchain - I finally came up with one: authenticating video game speed runs by recording key milestones in a purpose built blockchain with a very short block time.

Or basically any sort of distributed digital contest where the stakes aren't high enough that anyone really cares if you cheat but they'd still like to dissuade it.

And now to convince investment funds to put billions into "speed run futures".

I thought of a better use: Giving me money instead.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

web5 is when Krillin gets murdered yet again and Goku gets so angry he powers up straight past 4

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

greazeball posted:

Ooooh crypto bros are going to discover bounced paychecks

This is the UK, we dont really have cheques at all any more.

But a single missed payday and yeah youd immediately bounce

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ultrafilter posted:

How much of that is equity with a hypothetical value?

From the three people I know well enough to have asked, they insisted on actual money. Again, these arent crypto bros but will happily take their (actual) money

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

web2 + web3 = web5

Ah, playing the Winamp game.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

drk posted:

Looking at it closer, it looks like the bill has a thin conductive strip in it which is presumably how it decides whether to send the public key (check balance only) or private key (spend balance). I'm sure there is no possible way to tamper with this high tech system

drat this is from a few pages ago but I read the bill as "SCAN TO VERIFY SCAM" and that feels just as accurate and funny.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe they skipped 4 because theyre weebs and know that 4 sounds like death in some asian countries.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought Jack was a new age tech bro

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Squibbles posted:

Wouldn't that then be Web26? Even more growth!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
WebNaN

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I think Jack Dorsey is onto something, but I think the plan needs some tweaking. I think Web5 would majorly benefit if they gave me money instead.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i wrote this up yesterday but lots of stuff got in the way of me finishing it...

Somfin posted:

So to put it in human terms, the company made a deal to hand over a bunch of money but fat fingered the address (same street number, same street name, wrong city), the delivery got sent there, and nobody involved was around to get it returned but sort of assumed it would be fine until they figured out a fix. The hacker found out, got to the place where the money was sent, and then dropped a building into that spot that looked legit enough to fool the delivery folks into handing it over, and then took it all and immediately put it through a "I just stole a bunch of money, make it seem legit" machine.

Is that about right?
this is close enough to explain, but again i'm not a super expert on this. just reading stuff and trying to understand it myself. i did leave out a part that i'm gonna explain below.

MechaCrash posted:

Here's the thing about the Wintermute test whatever that I don't understand.

Why were they testing this with enough money that poo poo going sideways actually matters?
so this wasn't a test. Optimism sent Wintermute two test transactions. Wintermute said, "Looks good!" Optimism said, "okay" and then Wintermute said, "whoops wrong address!" and now here we are.

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does this mean? If a “multisig” is some form of identifying key how on earth did the hacker make his match? I’d say “the hacker must have done some sort of technical trick” but the whole scenario sounds less like a techno thriller and more like a three stooges bit so that couldn’t be right
a thing i didn't mention is they were on an older version of gnosis safes ... i wouldn't say it was a vulnerability, but as that team and other crypto companies were building out multisig wallets they discovered the way they did it was not secure enough so they added new code to handle vulnerabilities (more technically they added a nonce.. no not that kind of nonce... basically a randomized value). wintermute's team chose not to upgrade to a more recent version because if you do that you have to remake the entire smart contract over again.. which costs money. so rather than spending the time to do things right, they basically hosed up and lost a whole bunch of money instead.

so now how could the hacker recreate the same multisig again? i'm not entirely clear on this but apparently the safe creates copies of its smart contracts but the id of these contracts don't change so between different blockchains it will generate the same sigs everytime you go to create a new contract (CREATE or createProxy).

one thing i will note... is that it is incredibly difficult to find information about this. i would consider myself relatively technical, but the only way i can figure any of this out is to read 2-3 twitter accounts and look around. otherwise i'd have to manually dig into the actual codebase. my gut feeling is very very few people actually understands all this tech and most of them are just waiting around for people to gently caress up so they can steal their tokens.

i honestly wish they would actually challenge the senators to just basic questions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
web4 was rug pulled before it could get the scam going.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Conceptually isn't it web2 served via web3? So web2 over web3, expressed as web2/web3 = 0.666. Ergo, Jack Dorsey is the devil. QED

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Hey, funny how quote isn't edit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

PhazonLink posted:

and yet the Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective is still a better game / greater impact on civilization / piece of art.

It’s the only video game that’s so perfect, it encourages you to stop playing video games

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Sure but that really whipped the llama's rear end, web3 has never done that even once. web3 whips absolutely no rear end of any sort

to be fair, I remember winamp 3 also sucking rear end and sticking with 2 until 5 came out.

that said, I just assume anything webX made by tech bros is going to be a colossal shitshow that goes nowhere / scams the gently caress out of people.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

carticket posted:

Hey, funny how quote isn't edit.

In keeping with thread subject matter, posts here are write-only.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

carticket posted:

Wouldn't that then be Web26? Even more growth!

Web64 will finally take the 64 bit crown from Nintendo

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
if web 2 is centralized and web 3 is decentralized then how is web 5 extra decentralized?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

look, imagine five webs on the edge of a cliff

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

priznat posted:

Jack seems like a dingus who just kind of got lucky with twitter and square but has convinced himself that he is some kind of revolutionary genius. Basically like all tech bros I guess.

They all think they're Oscar Issac in Ex Machina.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vashro posted:

if web 2 is centralized and web 3 is decentralized then how is web 5 extra decentralized?

3 is higher than two so it’s 1 decentralized

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Seems like the exact same web3 use cases that have not worked because they are full of obvious problems

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Illuminti posted:

They all think they're Oscar Issac in Ex Machina.

Cept without the sweet dance moves!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Seems like the exact same web3 use cases that have not worked because they are full of obvious problems

isnt this just local storage?

they just rein-

also I know the A-, B-, C, etc names are just easy place holder names for these things, but when coinerz or techbros do it I KNOW they just lazily copying textbook 101 things they remembered from freshman year.

e: also we already have some de-cent social media platforms, like Mastodon or whatever dinosaur they chose, theyre not very popular and tbh I dont see them being moderately or minorly "successful"

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 10, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Booyah- posted:

connie is the con artist who hopes to get rich quick by selling alice and bob some convoluted bullshit that they don't need and is worse than all existing solutions

she gets really really pissed off when people point out that this isn't likely to happen

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Both of the use cases depend on industry adoption of technologies (the wallet and its storage scheme) that make it easier for a user to deny the industry the things from which it makes money. Why do they think that would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like how Alice is based on the idea you want to be yourself on every site on the Internet, instead of silo’ing in your identity. Unless you want your relatives knowing you the same way as your D&D group, your group text, your two different boyfriends, and SA.