Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really think it's that one time that Preston got his patreons to pay for him to meet gurm and ask him a question and Preston tried to fish out some details about one of his theories by asking about some scene from the books and Gurm was like "Ugh, I don't know, sounds like you thought about that whole thing way more than I did, nerd" (only slightly embellished), before that he used to assume so much intention and deliberation into every letter gurm wrote but afterwards he pretty much stopped publishing his outlandish theory videos and adopted a much more sarcastic (and far more entertaining!) tone about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I really think it's that one time that Preston got his patreons to pay for him to meet gurm and ask him a question and Preston tried to fish out some details about one of his theories by asking about some scene from the books and Gurm was like "Ugh, I don't know, sounds like you thought about that whole thing way more than I did, nerd" (only slightly embellished), before that he used to assume so much intention and deliberation into every letter gurm wrote but afterwards he pretty much stopped publishing his outlandish theory videos and adopted a much more sarcastic (and far more entertaining!) tone about the whole thing.

I saw a Shatner interview where he said that a fan asked him a question at a convention "there was a safe in episode XX that you opened, what was the combination to the safe" and Shatner was baffled by that question so many ways.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Preston's actually been kind of negative on GRRM's writing progress since at least Season 6 of the show, citing that "George could have typed <x> words per day and he would have reached the word count of Dance." I remember a lot more Ice and Fire people being optimistic even past the show's finale.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 10, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The point he made about Fire and Blood was kind of interesting--I think it shows that the publishers aren't just sitting there waiting on Winds. Well, I mean they are, but they're also saying, "Hey, we know you're working, but we still need something from you in the meantime since it's been like, 7 years since you finished Dance."

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Happy Landfill posted:

The point he made about Fire and Blood was kind of interesting--I think it shows that the publishers aren't just sitting there waiting on Winds. Well, I mean they are, but they're also saying, "Hey, we know you're working, but we still need something from you in the meantime since it's been like, 7 years since you finished Dance."

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the relationship. George Rape, the other R is also for Rape, Martin is worth enough money that the amount he gets from publishing another book isn't very important, but to the publisher, it's hugely important. Anything he shits out at this point they are going to take from him. I'm sure they are trying to job him to finish the blockbuster series, but what, if they demand his advance fee back he'll just pay it back. And then he'll be pissed and publish with someone else.

He's worth enough money that nobody can ever stop him from eating lemoncakes on his loving personal railroad car. The publisher has no power over him.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah I think George's publisher is competing against his squirellish attention span that wants to go and advise people on costumes, casting, and lore while hanging out in a social environment as opposed to spending his twilight years locked in a room with emulated Wordpro and A Change of Heart by Golden Avatar or whatever he listens to playing on repeat in the background as he writes a scene where someone eats a woman's tit.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 10, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah I think George's publisher is competing against his squirellish attention span that wants to go and advise people on costumes, casting, and lore while hanging out in a social environment as opposed to spending his twilight years locked in a room with emulated Wordpro and A Change of Heart by Golden Avatar or whatever he listens to playing on repeat in the background.

They just have no leverage. A million dollars is a big deal if you're net worth is between -100,000 to 5,000,000.

If you're worth 120,000,000 it's loving meaningless. Even another 5 million dollars is meaningless. What is he going to do, ride two railroads at once?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Might as well just get The Expanse guys to finish it, since one of them used to be his personal assistant or something. :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Also whatever financial penalties the publisher might have on him are pocket change now.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Happy Landfill posted:

Might as well just get The Expanse guys to finish it, since one of them used to be his personal assistant or something. :shrug:

Ty Franck said specifically that the time for that has past, but I think his attitude would change with the amounts of zeroes that they would draw on a check. The only living author I can think of that could finish the series in their lifetime is maybe Christopher Buehlman.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The only living author I can think of that could finish the series in their lifetime is maybe Christopher Buehlman.

Christian Cameron could do it, he writes at an unbelievable pace, but his :spergin: would explode into flames at trying to deal with how implausible GRRM's setting and characters are.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Ty Franck said specifically that the time for that has past, but I think his attitude would change with the amounts of zeroes that they would draw on a check. The only living author I can think of that could finish the series in their lifetime is maybe Christopher Buehlman.

Ty absolutely wrote most of the books. Just like GRRM needed the two nazi megafans to do the history books after Ty was gone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I honestly expected Preston to take the path of “he continues to endlessly rewrite the book” so I’m pleasantly surprised that he recognized that GRRM is just a lazy rear end in a top hat and until Covid there were no pages.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly expected Preston to take the path of “he continues to endlessly rewrite the book” so I’m pleasantly surprised that he recognized that GRRM is just a lazy rear end in a top hat and until Covid there were no pages.

incredibly optimistic post believing that after covid there are pages

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jazerus posted:

incredibly optimistic post believing that after covid there are pages

Well by Preston’s guess he went from 0 pages except those cut from the last two books to 400 ishnew pages. Which means he still needs like another 600 new pages to actually get a full book which lmao that’s not happening.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Preston doesn't know poo poo.

GRRM has no new pages.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

okay, fine

maybe he wrote the sex scenes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Where's the link to the audiobook reading of Dany making GBS threads in the field. I've got a friend who started to rewatch GoT with a family member in this year of 2022 and they refused to believe that it was the last word on Dany.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

mind the walrus posted:

Where's the link to the audiobook reading of Dany making GBS threads in the field. I've got a friend who started to rewatch GoT with a family member in this year of 2022 and they refused to believe that it was the last word on Dany.

I was also looking for this the other day.

EDIT: only found it after typing in "the more she shat": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY&t=1s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress me I typed that in. DuckDuckGo still has a ways to go apparently.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I used to think Winds would get finished but that he'd die or just flat out give up writing before finishing the last one.

But now I'm honestly not sure if he'll even finish Winds.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I find it’s much better for ones mental health to just assume that he will never finish another book again, and truly believe that to be the case. That’s about where I stand at the moment on the whole goddamn mess. I not only have no expectation of TWOW’s completion, I’ve also given up all hope on ever seeing another Dunk & Egg story, nor the second part of Fire & Blood.

The nice thing is that if any of the above ever do get released, I can be legitimately pleasantly surprised and enjoy them without salt or rancor about years of unfulfilled expectations. poo poo’s always more enjoyable when it comes as a surprise, even if it’s something you’ve been low-key waiting for.

Like David Lynch and Twin Peaks - that’s a fantastic example. We all knew Twin Peaks was unfinished and left hanging for decades, but nobody had any legit expectation that Lynch would ever REALLY come back to it - if he did it’d be great, and we all wanted him to, but nobody expected it. I sure as hell didn’t. And that made the actual experience of Twin Peaks: The Return so much better and more meaningful when it did finally happen, for me.

So, similarly I stopped expecting or hoping anything at all relating to this series about… 4-5 years ago? Sometime during season 7 of the TV show, which incidentally aired at the same time as Season 3 of Twin Peaks, so that was summer 2017.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah I think George's publisher is competing against his squirellish attention span that wants to go and advise people on costumes, casting, and lore while hanging out in a social environment as opposed to spending his twilight years locked in a room with emulated Wordpro and A Change of Heart by Golden Avatar or whatever he listens to playing on repeat in the background as he writes a scene where someone eats a woman's tit.

When I think of grrms publisher contact - I think of Homelander's scheduler and handler on The Boyz.

pseudanonymous posted:

They just have no leverage. A million dollars is a big deal if you're net worth is between -100,000 to 5,000,000.

If you're worth 120,000,000 it's loving meaningless. Even another 5 million dollars is meaningless. What is he going to do, ride two railroads at once?

I didn't think that was a serious number. holy poo poo. good for him, the old fat gently caress. I'll bet he has the best rape dungeon he ever could have imagined. how does he not have a new wife / sex toy? Does he have a weird open marriage with Parris?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I coulda sworn he made like a billion dollars but I might just be mixing him up with the other fat gently caress nerd George Lucas.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
If he was a billionaire he'd have just bought off the Albuquerque city council so they'd let him build his castle.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Santa Fe is exactly the right kind of rich enough that they'd find pretending to stand up to another rich person on principle to be worth more than any amount of money he could give them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The rights to ASOIAF are worth a pittance compared to Star Wars

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, I mean what does ASOIAF really have as a property? A TV series that's half-awful, an unfinished book series, some coffee table books, and a bunch of garbage games and about 200,000 "I drink and I know things" t-shirts that have been sitting in an HBO warehouse since 2019.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I saw a Shatner interview where he said that a fan asked him a question at a convention "there was a safe in episode XX that you opened, what was the combination to the safe" and Shatner was baffled by that question so many ways.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmagzq

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Invalid Validation posted:

I coulda sworn he made like a billion dollars but I might just be mixing him up with the other fat gently caress nerd George Lucas.

Lucas is nowhere near as creepy as GURM (Is there anything creepy about him? Maybe the costumes in ANH?)

Also, Lucas finished his story, and was totally cool with other authors adding to it (The old EU).

I'm glad I follow this thread and found that Medieval History blog that basically pointed out GOT is early modern history-adjacent, not medieval-adjacent.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's very early early-modern but yes. i would place it pre-discovery of the new world but still firmly in the mid-late 1400s

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's not really any specific era at all, the knights in armour stuff is pre 1400, the outfits he describes trend post-Renaissance, the sensibilities of the characters are very modern as described in that one essay that argues GoT is secretly about Hollywood politics. There's also a huge amount of ocean trade (age of sail) but somehow this barely matters to the setting. I'm not saying it's bad worldbuilding or anything, not wanting to deal with things like gunpowder and trade routes is pretty normal for fantasy. It's just extremely far from anything historical.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Lucas is nowhere near as creepy as GURM (Is there anything creepy about him? Maybe the costumes in ANH?)

During the brainstorming for the first Indiana Jones he wanted to include a particularly creepy bit of backstory. Indy had gotten in legal trouble years before for statutory raping Marian, and that was what estranged him from her father who was mentoring him. Spielberg talked him out of it. That kind of stood out to me as pretty messed up. Other than that, I haven't heard anything.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure Marian still has a line that says she was like sixteen when Indy and her were together

Ugh

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You don’t get to be a billionaire without being a creep on some level.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure Marian still has a line that says she was like sixteen when Indy and her were together

Ugh

Indiana Jones is a "hero" in so far that his enemies are the Nazis and a human-sacrificing cult so the series just kinda glosses over the whole "this guy's a grave robber who happily will steal cultural artifacts if it suits him" thing, or his victim-blaming of Marian in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pseudanonymous posted:

He's got gently caress You Money.

When you have enough money, someone asks you do to something, you just tell them 'gently caress You' and don't do it. They can't do poo poo to materially impact your life in response.

What leverage do they have? He's poo poo on any legacy he might have spectacularly on his own with stuff like that Hugo awards presentation.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just saw on YouTube the clip where gurm is asked about the South park episode that features him and the take is that gurm is so thin skinned that his spouse and inner circle preview media that mentions him and then deliberate whether gurm can take it or whether it will throw into an even more catatonic state and that other than that he finds it very very important that people will know that he actually doesn't like weiners, he profusely exclaims his love for boobies like a teenage boy whose friends just called gay, it really is amazing that he can (could) write compelling characters that aren't flat cliches when he's so childlike and detached.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Almost like someone else wrote those characters (I'm now all in on the Ty conspiracy now because hell, why not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I'm massively anti-Ty conspiracy because the prose in the Expanse is so mediocre. I could maybe see him contributing to plotting but actual writing? No loving way.