Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Panfilo posted:

Was St Germain's girlfriend even real or was that all part of Death's plans? They never referred to her name and she didn't have any speaking lines. For all we know the memory of her could have been completely fabricated.

St. Germain was looking for her before he met death in the infinite corridor (end of season 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
The infinite corridor should have had a Galamoth cameo. Like maybe Saint Germain floats past his face and gets a brief look of confusion.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Saint Germain dooming every living thing on earth to carry an inter-dimensional printer for some girl that barely acknowledges him

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Should've had Saint Germain play Thanos

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Death did the ULTIMATE catfish

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Episode 9 being just 30 straight minutes of the most insane action animation I’ve ever seen more than makes up for a few quibbles I have with the plot. Like, visually this series felt heavily inspired by Vampire Hunted D Bloodlust. But the earliest season felt like them really straining to keep those complicated designs moving in all but a few standout scenes. By season 4 they’re acing it for sequences upon sequences and while it never quite matches the smoothness of that Madhouse feature, it has more inventive choreography and crazy fx animation all over to make up for it. Plus seeing this quality in what is still a tv show, even if it’s only a 10 episode order at a time, is impressive. Really impressive to see how much they’ve improved as a studio.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

Episode 9 being just 30 straight minutes of the most insane action animation I’ve ever seen more than makes up for a few quibbles I have with the plot. Like, visually this series felt heavily inspired by Vampire Hunted D Bloodlust. But the earliest season felt like them really straining to keep those complicated designs moving in all but a few standout scenes. By season 4 they’re acing it for sequences upon sequences and while it never quite matches the smoothness of that Madhouse feature, it has more inventive choreography and crazy fx animation all over to make up for it. Plus seeing this quality in what is still a tv show, even if it’s only a 10 episode order at a time, is impressive. Really impressive to see how much they’ve improved as a studio.

This is their flagship program though. If you look Blood of Zeus, which came out between Seasons 3 and 4, you'll see where that budget probably came from.

That show does not look delightful, despite having some very solid visual designs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wuffles posted:

Saint Germain dooming every living thing on earth to carry an inter-dimensional printer for some girl that barely acknowledges him

While I feel it mighta been to save on voice acting, I get the feeling that St Germain's girlfriend being a nonentity as far as the show goes kinda reflects that his whole motivation is opaque to everyone else and that he's potentially loving the entire world over because he's too proud to actually ask for help from any of the near-superheroes he meets who might be able to help him but instead makes a (relatively metaphorical) deal with the devil only to welch at literally the last possible moment at the cost of his life. Probably fitting given everyone else's arcs are about the problems they've refused to acknowledge or talk about, and/or opening up to people about them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I feel it mighta been to save on voice acting, I get the feeling that St Germain's girlfriend being a nonentity as far as the show goes kinda reflects that his whole motivation is opaque to everyone else and that he's potentially loving the entire world over because he's too proud to actually ask for help from any of the near-superheroes he meets who might be able to help him but instead makes a (relatively metaphorical) deal with the devil only to welch at literally the last possible moment at the cost of his life. Probably fitting given everyone else's arcs are about the problems they've refused to acknowledge or talk about, and/or opening up to people about them.

Yeah, I feel it was a thematic choice -- if they'd really wanted to save on voice actors, they'd probably not have cast someone like Christine Adams in a thirty second cameo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...also makes a thematic counterpoint as Dracula was willing to destroy the whole world, or at least make a good go at it with Suicide By Belmont and/or Son, over losing his wife, as the previous big mover, vs a guy willing to doom the world and those two in particular to eternal suffering to save his girlfriend. (And ironically, he DOES end up reuniting a lost love, though not the ones he intended)

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

It was mostly just a joke because she’s constantly got her back turned to his out-stretched hand, but they really should have given us a few flash-back moments of them together if they were gonna have him do such a heel-turn between S3 and S4.

We got to see his nightmares about losing her more than once—could have spent 1-2 min in there somewhere showing them together…even if there wasn’t any dialogue.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ccs posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I'm re-reading the first Vampire Hunter D novels at the moment since it's been a few years since I read them and just got a few more, so I'd like to refamiliarize myself before I get to the newer ones, but I would love a proper Vampire Hunter D series. I think D might be the single most Gary-Stu protagonist I've ever read or seen in anything, but at the same time, I don't care. I love the setting, I love the lore, I love the stories, there are some really fun characters in the stories beyond D and I like D himself despite how much the story goes out of it's way to fellate him at every turn, because I enjoy watching him interact with those characters and stories in the setting. He's a stoic badass who is unflappably awesome at everything but the fact he's so stoic is actually given a little depth by the fact he's almost completely uninterested in the people around him emotionally most of the time and D himself is almost inhuman emotionally despite his appearance. Women fall over themselves to help him and constantly vie for his attention, but rather than simply not realizing it, he just doesn't care and moves on once he's done his job in a given place, with new women sighing over how pretty he is in every story. The few times he does show something beyond "I don't care though" it's "I don't know how to deal with this and that lack of familiarity with anything beyond fighting vampires makes me deeply uncomfortable so I'm going to move on as soon as I can". Which isn't much, but is enough in conjunction with his almost alien nature to off-set it for me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 22, 2021

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

It’s really low key, and I think it’s from S2, but the fight Trevor has with the ‘priests’ in the city (Greshit?) is really well done. Nothing fancy or dramatic, but just hand-to-hand combat while using the terrain to his advantage vs the archers.

Need to go back and watch that one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey sorry for thread Necro but did you guys hear one of the producers of the series is suing Netflix because he wasn’t invited to work on the spin-off? Shankar is claiming that the other producer tried to back door him out of the new project, despite his contract with Netflix essentially grandfathering him into any potential spin-offs… but it sounds like that might have just been something they said during a meeting, not something that was ever actually filed? It’s unclear atm but it still sucks. Shankar dresses like a complete tool but he makes cool poo poo.
Hollywood Reporter write up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it must have been 100 years because it's almost time to revive Dracula and this thread again

https://twitter.com/AdamDeats/status/1530247332100730880

guess we'll get some news about the Richter spinoff in a week and a half?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey sorry for thread Necro but did you guys hear one of the producers of the series is suing Netflix because he wasn’t invited to work on the spin-off? Shankar is claiming that the other producer tried to back door him out of the new project, despite his contract with Netflix essentially grandfathering him into any potential spin-offs… but it sounds like that might have just been something they said during a meeting, not something that was ever actually filed? It’s unclear atm but it still sucks. Shankar dresses like a complete tool but he makes cool poo poo.
Hollywood Reporter write up

Every time I see a picture of that guy my immediate thought is that his aesthetic must be a gimmick but no he's really about that life.

That deal stuff sounds very shady on Netflix's end, I'm sure he has a case but given that Netflix is shuttering a ton of stuff I wonder if the threat of them cancelling the next season would keep him from taking it to court.

Too bad he never got to do more with that grimdark Power Rangers short, it was 100x better than the most recent movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, it's a gimmick;

"I’d go home and laugh because I thought I was hysterical — I would basically just be quoting wrestlers,” he says. For Shankar, the whole ruse was born out of a feeling of already being alienated. “When I showed up [in Los Angeles], I realized there really weren’t brown people. There aren’t people that look like me on television. I saw the lack of opportunity in one angle [...] and doing serious interviews with the trades and going to red carpets with makeup on and literally not breaking character was also a gently caress-you to a system that I felt like was literally not allowing me to participate in certain verticals because I didn’t look a certain way.”

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

they dropped the first video for Castlevania: Nocturne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqNEPTPyqU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So that's Trevor and Sypha's kid, right?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If they're following the games, Richter is their descendant by about 300 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wow, I forgot I was the one who made this thread, lol. I'm glad Ellis is nowhere near this one, maybe it won't be loving unbearable.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Wow, I forgot I was the one who made this thread, lol. I'm glad Ellis is nowhere near this one, maybe it won't be loving unbearable.

It’s good that Ellis is gone but I’d hardly call the show loving unbearable while he was involved. I’ve enjoyed all of it quite a bit!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I remember the quipping in season 3 becoming a bit too much for me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember the quipping in season 3 becoming a bit too much for me.

I watch so many loving shows that I honestly can't recall a lot of what happened in Season 3, but I have the overall memory of enjoying it well enough. I remember that sick daysuit scene, and I think Isaac killed Carmella? I'm sure if I looked it up it'd come back to me.

But yeah, I don't remember having issues with the dialogue. OH WAIT actually there was "I'M loving DEATH!!" or whatever the quote was. I did roll my eyes a bit at that but I believe there were others who got a laugh out of it. Do you remember anything in particular?

Vic Rattlehead
Mar 13, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

they dropped the first video for Castlevania: Nocturne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqNEPTPyqU

The first game with Richter was already done with an anime style, and a few side characters, hopefully they can write a good story to carry it. Alucard shouldn't show up until they get to the Symphony of the Night story. Seeing what happens to the Vampire Killer afterwards that story would be interesting. In the games it changes hands because of a Belmont corruption but it has never actually been shown how and when it changes hands. It would tie in nicely to a future series showing Julius getting it back and the Castle Dracula War.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

timp posted:

I watch so many loving shows that I honestly can't recall a lot of what happened in Season 3, but I have the overall memory of enjoying it well enough. I remember that sick daysuit scene, and I think Isaac killed Carmella? I'm sure if I looked it up it'd come back to me.

But yeah, I don't remember having issues with the dialogue. OH WAIT actually there was "I'M loving DEATH!!" or whatever the quote was. I did roll my eyes a bit at that but I believe there were others who got a laugh out of it. Do you remember anything in particular?

I really don't remember any specifics, it's been quite a while, I just remember a bit of sighing and eyerolling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alacron posted:

IIRC this is set around the French Revolution?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd love if they skipped around timeframes like the games do and next after this is Order of Ecclesia

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC this is set around the French Revolution?

According to the wiki Rondo of Blood is set in 1792, so yeah.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Alacron posted:

Oh, I guess they just really wanted to reinforce to the audience "this guy? Totally the descendant of those two baddasses you know and love." with his appearance and costume.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Who are the next generation of Belmonts going to fight, considering that Dracula essentially gave up on being evil? I can’t really see him reincarnating and trying to destroy humanity again considering how his story ended with Lisa.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Dracula always finds a reason it’s like literally his job!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shaft, baybee.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You’re drat right.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Shut your mouth!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vic Rattlehead posted:

The first game with Richter was already done with an anime style, and a few side characters, hopefully they can write a good story to carry it. Alucard shouldn't show up until they get to the Symphony of the Night story. Seeing what happens to the Vampire Killer afterwards that story would be interesting. In the games it changes hands because of a Belmont corruption but it has never actually been shown how and when it changes hands. It would tie in nicely to a future series showing Julius getting it back and the Castle Dracula War.

They really just need to switch to a series about the Morris family and vampires starting Word War 1 and 2 to bring Dracula back.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"It's not by my hands Godbrand was resurrected!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Panfilo posted:

Oh, I guess they just really wanted to reinforce to the audience "this guy? Totally the descendant of those two baddasses you know and love." with his appearance and costume.

I mean the design's pretty close to the games from first glance, but still.

Also just wait and see if we finally get to see the Battle of 1999 where Dracula is finally defeated for good through some shenanigans apparently involving multiple military forces and supernatural experts as well as the Belmonts.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/parkerrsimmons/status/1535344696301473792?s=21&t=nVCAwiOetR0aKV0tYxHLQQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Do we know who's replacing him? I'm apprehensive given that a lot of what made the show good was in the writing but maybe they can retain some of that.