Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Countblanc posted:

why do they call e. honda "e. Honda"? i know his name is edmund but why dont they call him edmund honda, or edmund, or just honda

Pixels are a limited resource! You think we have space to spell out "Edmund Honda" under that healthbar?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

CHOON-Li?!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

lamentable dustman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYM0VlgElek

Some interesting info about how parries will play in the game.

Wait so you gain drive gauge with perfect parries? Isn't this a SF 3Strike situation where shotos are rear end because you can just build meter off them?I do like that blocking reduces drive gauge, that makes defense not too strong.

Definitely the best video so far on the games mechanics.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 11, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Maximilian said he will post a bunch of videos later today as well, he took some 4k footage.

Also EVO registration leaderboard update. https://twitter.com/EVO/status/1535382046952116226

Evo is gonna be so freaking hype this year, finally back from covid, first big international GG event and SFV final hurrah.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Countblanc posted:

why do they call e. honda "e. Honda"? i know his name is edmund but why dont they call him edmund honda, or edmund, or just honda

To contrast with his brothers Andrew Honda, Bartholomew Honda, Caleb Honda, and Dwight Honda.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saw a streamer go through screenshots of modern controls vs classic. For example for Jamie you don't have lots of your lvl3 drunk abilities. You get one button dp but miss out on some moves.

e: definitely seems like there is a bit too much dmg from what I can tell from this footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf_rpa70vgI

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 11, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gonna main Ken for the first time ever

Deadbeat Dad Ken

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chun Li has a pout face in pre screen showdown. Already GOTY.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 11, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Too much sbk has her nauseous

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm glad that the commentary thing will be gone basically immediately on release, I really can't stand hearing it and I can't fathom any streams or events or tourneys or online matches leaving it on.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Chun Li can go under fireballs in her stance so that is neat. Also Jamie letting his hair down after he reaches 4 drinks is fantastic

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gologle posted:

I'm glad that the commentary thing will be gone basically immediately on release, I really can't stand hearing it and I can't fathom any streams or events or tourneys or online matches leaving it on.

Ya its super weird. If I play Fifa and I don't hear commentary it just feels empty but here it's just weird and annoying. I'll play one match with it then I am done. Capcom's sound team is too good to be blocked off by commentary and obviously in FGC events we will have real commentators.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It’s the kind of weird big swing I’m glad they’re taking, and I’m sure it’ll be better closer to release, but yeah it sucks

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Gologle posted:

I think tournies would turn it off even if it was good just because it's so loud.

I know Marvel had that female commentator too, but she was mostly barely audible on top of everything else going on.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 11, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This is the best footage I’ve seen so far, 1v1 where both players seem to have played SF before

https://youtu.be/fR2jV6AG-Vg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

morestuff posted:

This is the best footage I’ve seen so far, 1v1 where both players seem to have played SF before

https://youtu.be/fR2jV6AG-Vg

The announcer is painful lol. So fake sounding

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ahh poo poo that yellow life bar rage art super just killed from 40% life. Gotta mentally prepare to stuff desperate CA attempts every match while wallowing in bronze with my fellow scrubs

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I will NOT hold block

They should really have some commentators talking poo poo

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

The announcer is painful lol. So fake sounding

It's wild that wrestling games have had commentary forever and they don't sound this bad. Mainly it seems to be an issue that one, there's not that big of a pool of lines, and there doesn't seem to be any variation for the same thing happening. Two, it's only one person commentating. When you have a second person, even if just someone doing color commentary, you can get stuff like personality clashes or discussion or just stuff that might be interesting which leads sort of into number three, but I do think that the commentator talking about the match as if it's just a game being played and not something that's actually occurring in the world of the game might also be a factor? This one I'm a little shaky on, but when you have commentary for wrestling or sports games, they're not talking about people controlling the characters or the team, they're talking about the characters themselves. If the story of the game is that Dhalsim and Edmund are having an underground street fight, the commentary should probably lean into that world. A color commentator could mention how big Sumo has gotten world-wide or whatever.

As it is, I'm not sure what the commentary is supposed to be providing. The lines are so generic you can't even really use them as a tool for what you might want to do or what you might want to pay attention to.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Potsticker posted:

It's wild that wrestling games have had commentary forever and they don't sound this bad.

Man I used to watch VGCW, and that commentary looped around from being bad to being so bad it's good. With that said, those old 2K games had a poo poo ton of dialog for non-custom characters I think too

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm just a scrub, but having block drain drive gauge and the overall high damage seems like it will make this game super offense oriented, no? At least for non-superhumans who aren't perfect parrying everything?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

porfiria posted:

I'm just a scrub, but having block drain drive gauge and the overall high damage seems like it will make this game super offense oriented, no? At least for non-superhumans who aren't perfect parrying everything?

You can bait a multi hit super and just hold parry down to fill the bar. Timing a perfect parry is only required if you want to do a big counter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

Man I used to watch VGCW, and that commentary looped around from being bad to being so bad it's good. With that said, those old 2K games had a poo poo ton of dialog for non-custom characters I think too

PUTTING THOSE EDUCATED FEET TO USE

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Loved being told to go to WWE dot com for more information on all of my favorite superstars while watching Barkley get the piss beaten out of him by Ganon

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

frankly if the announcer says anything more complicated than "MARVELOUS!" i don't want to hear it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ulio posted:

Wait so you gain drive gauge with perfect parries? Isn't this a SF 3Strike situation where shotos are rear end because you can just build meter off them?I do like that blocking reduces drive gauge, that makes defense not too strong.

Definitely the best video so far on the games mechanics.

From watching that gamespot video, parrying a fireball only refunds the drive meter you spent to use the parry in the first place (1/2 of a bar). You don't end up with more than you started with. The 2-hit EX fireball only gave 1/4 bar per hit so it would be 1/2 bar total, and I'm guessing most other multi-hit projectiles will be similar.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Blockhouse posted:

PUTTING THOSE EDUCATED FEET TO USE

"Who does the slow, methodical pace benefit here King?!"
"Well, whenever the dominating competitor takes his time, it gives everyone a chance to catch their breath. So I don't know!"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the pace of a fighting game like this means that pre-recorded voicelines are constantly going to run into situations where the match changes dramatically and makes the thing the commentary was saying nonsensical. I've seen it happen multiple times in just a couple of videos, the VA still talking about footsies or whatever when the players are absolutely not doing that anymore

the actual nail in the coffin though is the way that "e-sports" style commentary just does not fit the game's hip-hop aesthetic at all. every other part of the game is unified in providing that and the commentary sticks out like a sore thumb

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Real hurthling! posted:

Its all hope and hype until zand makes his long "it sucks" post that we all quote with "bedmanwinquote.txt" but turns out to be right

sf6 looks ok. they havent shown anything that looks super bad imo but nothing really exciting either imo. making funny faces at the vs screen is the most fun thing thats been added to a fighting game in 10 years

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
SC2 had the faces first, and you can spam one liners

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Maximillian Dood put up a whole bunch of footage alongside his first impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7iu35WOTo

He's got a lot of specifics, but it sounds like he's really into it but is also pretty aware that he could cool off on it over time. It plays a bit like a lot of Street Fighters, but the most like 3.

Also it seem like the drive system is the decider, both in differing SF6 from previous ones and in how good SF6 will actually be, so that's the thing to watch people get better with.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fighting game announcers peaked early with KI1.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Did anyone mention if SF6 will have spacing specific attacks? Like close HK vs normal HK in most SFs, versus the "all command normals" in SFV. Similarly, are neutral jump attacks unique again also (again, SFV made air normals the same between all jump types)?

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Artelier posted:

Did anyone mention if SF6 will have spacing specific attacks? Like close HK vs normal HK in most SFs, versus the "all command normals" in SFV. Similarly, are neutral jump attacks unique again also (again, SFV made air normals the same between all jump types)?
According to Max there are no proximity normals as of right now.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

I need Sajam’s “aaaaaaaalllrighty chat”

All I really need from the announcers is "will it kill?" whenever I do a super and they're at low health tbh, then the appropriate reaction at the end

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

They apparently are lining up other announcers. One that just does And 1 style screaming over fights would probably be fun

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Maximillian Dood put up a whole bunch of footage alongside his first impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7iu35WOTo

He's got a lot of specifics, but it sounds like he's really into it but is also pretty aware that he could cool off on it over time. It plays a bit like a lot of Street Fighters, but the most like 3.

Also it seem like the drive system is the decider, both in differing SF6 from previous ones and in how good SF6 will actually be, so that's the thing to watch people get better with.

The video is good but Max is always ultrahyped for new fighting games so its better to take his opinion with a grain of salt. From what I can tell, it is definitely a very very different SF game just due to the gauge drive.

- Few other things max said in his stream, there is a team battle option in the menus, maybe something like street fighter league or straight 2v2?
- Training stage might not be there anymore other than for training mode.
- There is also color commentators but it's empty.
- Can't do some specials/moves in modern controls so its very limited other than few instant stuff and basic auto combo.
- Game feel is like mix of SF3 SF5.

Edit: Sajam said he is playing it today/tomorrow, he said he will give his thoughts Monday. Usually even guys like Max get consumed by hype, care about dev relationship so you can't be 100% of people's opinions and the rest of the gaming media have no idea about fighting games. But Sajam is definitely one of the guys who doesn't give a poo poo, is already blacklisted from casting Capcom games. So if the game is pure trash this guy will rip it to shreds.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 11, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive heard a lot of comparisons to alpha 3 as well

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sajam got blacklisted from commentating Capcom games? What happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Theotus posted:

Sajam got blacklisted from commentating Capcom games? What happened there?

They talked poo poo about SFV's lovely netcode.