Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hedenius posted:

You've been eating at places serving awful frozen burgers.

Probably.

But it seems a bit too widespread.

Even the shittiest rural roadside burger stand 20 years ago in Iceland had a better burger than most of what I tried in most of Stockholm.

Even Max tasted a bit suspect.

I hear things are even worse in Germany and Diet Germanies (Netherlands and "Belgium")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What’s the difference between good ice cream and frozen desert product?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
looking at German hamburgers (food) now out of curiosity and first I just love these 2 pics, not making any claim of being horrible

Did find some interesting German burgers though :thunk:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Jellied herring. Advertised as "with real pork gelatine and with artificial sweetener". No idea who sees both of those as plusses. I normally like fish in all variants and German style aspic, especially in summer.

The actual contents are 50% jelly. More then I prefer in my jellied foods. The herring has the overpowering cheap vinegar taste you get when you buy really cheap herring in Germany. The Jelly tastes mostly sour and the saccharine adds a mostly strange note, but if you combine them you still taste only cheap vinegar.

Anyways, I ate it on bread with some spreadable cheese and salad. I could have just used vinegar for the same effect.
While eating, I remembered that I had tried that stuff several time and came to the same conclusion each time. Time to repress the memory again, so I can try again next year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TV Zombie posted:

The amount of dairy content, I believe.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How do you even pick up those burgers with your hands to eat them?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChrChristensen/status/936318435499429888

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Probably.

But it seems a bit too widespread.

Even the shittiest rural roadside burger stand 20 years ago in Iceland had a better burger than most of what I tried in most of Stockholm.

Even Max tasted a bit suspect.

I hear things are even worse in Germany and Diet Germanies (Netherlands and "Belgium")

Sounds about right. Unless you go to a nicer restaurant or a burger place that someone in 2008 would have described as "hipster" you're very likely to get served poo poo tier frozen crap in Stockholm.

May I ask if you remember any particular places? I'm fascinated by this since I grew up in Örebro and was shocked by how awful the average Kebab in Stockholm was compared to Örebro and other smaller cities.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

I would have expected mL instead (1 tsp is (depending on where you live) either approximately or exactly 5 mL). As an American I would expect the recipe to either consistently use metric (grams/mL) or customary units (pounds/ounces/teaspoons). Although considering that the teaspoon is used as a unit in some other English-speaking counties maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Here in Ireland recipes use grams for any ingredients above some arbitrary weight but for sub-10g measures it's generally in tsps because it's easier to measure out using a measuring spoon than putting 5g of cumin into kitchen scales. Metric is great but sometimes it's just more practical to use throwback imperial measures.

I think everywhere has that one pizza joint that treats the pizza as a novelty plate that any national dish can be dumped on. The joint near me does an Ulster Fry pizza that has sausage, bacon, baked beans, potato bread, soda bread, white pudding, fried egg and vegetable roll as toppings. They also had a Scottish Burns Night pizza with turnip, haggis and Irn-Bru pulled pork. But if you don't want that gimmick poo poo they'll happily serve you a regular pizza with pepperoni and jalapenos.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Looks kinda good tbh.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

You dislocate your jaw and devour them top to bottom.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm a fan of filler in my burgs cause I kind of hate meat, but the less meat like it becomes I'm more into it. I'm really down with ground turkey, bread crumbs and egg, just ends up super good. Almost anything tastes ok if it's salty and in a bun tbh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Almost anything tastes ok if it's salty and in a bun tbh.

:lewd:

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/fairy-bread-croissant-custard-slice-recipe/sl70e262

I would. And then regret it. But still would.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I don’t want this on a pizza, but I really really want it as a Christmas dinner now.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jordan Peterson's ice cream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, not greatly distinct from a normal custard slice tbh, which is usually puff pastry, an absurd amount of custard solidified into a slab, and then a layer of icing and/or whipped cream on top.

If anything that is probably more restrained than a normal one, the ratios of which demonstrate that it really is just an excuse to eat a solid brick of custard and call it a food.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Jun 12, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Why exactly would you regret it

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TV Zombie posted:

"Frozen dairy dessert" is a legally-mandated descriptor for something that resembles the process and end result of ice cream, but does not contain enough cream to legally be called "ice cream."

Likewise "chocolatey," "[fruit] flavored," "[food] inspired," etc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thread relevant due to having icing instead of icing sugar on top. Fortunately it's easy enough to lift the whole top layer of pastry off and throw it, and the icing, into the bin where it belongs.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

steinrokkan posted:

Why exactly would you regret it

It's the promise of something awesome, as each of those things are awesome in other presentations. Combined, I'd feel let down. I know it won't be as good as the sum of its parts.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was exaggerating slightly but I've had a lot of lovely burgers in Sweden which taste like they could be made from something resembling that concoction because they sure as hell weren't just regular ground beef. Also a couple in Denmark but not as widespread since Danes seem to be generally slightly better at food than Swedes. The texture and taste of these burgs resembling what we in Iceland call kjötfars which is a weird mix of beef, pork, mutton, potato flour and water ground until it becomes a sloppy slurry and looks like this

Basically bland depression era food

I'm kind of amazed that you're able to find places in Denmark that have bad beef in their burgers, because that seems to be the one thing none of them ever gently caress up. Everything else surrounding the burger, yes, that's fair game, but never the patty itself.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tiggum posted:

Thread relevant due to having icing instead of icing sugar on top. Fortunately it's easy enough to lift the whole top layer of pastry off and throw it, and the icing, into the bin where it belongs.

what the gently caress?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TV Zombie posted:

Ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to never go again

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
One time i made polenta and put it in the fridge and when i took it out the next day it had grown really fine but tall mold filaments and i gave it a long thught before wiping them off, frying it, and eating it anyway

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bismuth posted:

One time i made polenta and put it in the fridge and when i took it out the next day it had grown really fine but tall mold filaments and i gave it a long thught before wiping them off, frying it, and eating it anyway

activated polenta

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bismuth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0IqiFXIZQ

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

VictualSquid posted:

Jellied herring. Advertised as "with real pork gelatine and with artificial sweetener". No idea who sees both of those as plusses. I normally like fish in all variants and German style aspic, especially in summer.

The actual contents are 50% jelly. More then I prefer in my jellied foods. The herring has the overpowering cheap vinegar taste you get when you buy really cheap herring in Germany. The Jelly tastes mostly sour and the saccharine adds a mostly strange note, but if you combine them you still taste only cheap vinegar.

Anyways, I ate it on bread with some spreadable cheese and salad. I could have just used vinegar for the same effect.
While eating, I remembered that I had tried that stuff several time and came to the same conclusion each time. Time to repress the memory again, so I can try again next year.

It says "Bad Essen" right on the package!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

activated polenta

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

thinking about how much weird rear end mold our ancestors ate thinking it might be the good stuff

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ror posted:

thinking about how much weird rear end mold our ancestors ate thinking it might be the good stuff

believe me I know what they went through

some mushrooms are spicier than others

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Ror posted:

I think about this every time I decide to risk it

LifeSunDeath posted:

activated polenta

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

activated polenta

Wouldn't that just be using hominy instead of corn meal? So basically it would be just grits.

Anybody want to help me sell hominy grits to healthfood stores as activated polenta. Now with more B vitamins.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hominy is a little more closer to actual "activation." How about we split the difference and start selling corn smut as activated corn.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Ror posted:

"Is moldy food really that dangerous? (We're not sure, but don't risk it.)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgduUAu8s3g

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Anyone who has never eaten one of these should do themselves a favour and shove one into your gaping maw.

Tiggum posted:

In a land of bad opinions, this is the worst.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

zedprime posted:

Hominy is a little more closer to actual "activation." How about we split the difference and start selling corn smut as activated corn.

Jesus Christ, don’t make huitlacoche even more expensive

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

"Is moldy food really that dangerous? (We're not sure, but don't risk it.)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgduUAu8s3g

I do some gross risky food stuff but worry immensely about mold because when I was a kid I saw this guy, Mark Tatum, on Ripley's believe it or not who ate mold bread and lost his face as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHkC2JM53c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I never thought fungus would eat MY face.