Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grimson posted:

Could anyone give me an explainer on how to get efficient power out of the high-pressure/low-pressure turbines in CoI?

What's the problem, exactly? I have no idea if it's peak efficiency or not but I have high pressure pipes going to 3 turbines, then the low-pressure output from each feed into a pipe balancer set to prioritize into one low pressure turbine with any overflow going to the smoke stack to stop the whole system from backing up. I have the low pressure one set to "Auto-balance" which I truly have no idea what it means but I think it shouldn't spin like crazy with low pressure with that on? Seems to be working well enough with this setup for now :shrug:

Edit: looks like I could probably use a second low pressure turbine, each of the big boys put out 24 low/min at max and the turbine accepts 48/min. Probably going to leave it as is now and expand later if needed.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They just consume steam like diesel generators consume diesel. Lo consume lo, high consume high, balance numbers, or don't and stuff backs up or isn't on 100% of the time.

The big difference is they produce shaft work. This means you can make a big power dick of your generators toe to tip with generators at one end it middle or whatever. This is useful in the next step.

The generators consume shaft work to make power. It will dump shaft work to the ether if you end up overproducing it. Setting auto balance will stop the generator from consuming steam in a wasteful way. But this takes a while to spin up and will cause brownouts. You can add flywheels to store extra shaft work, which working together with auto balance gives you the best value for your steam without causing brownouts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated but idk how to ask this question without it sounding really stupid. Are there any games that are like the opposite of a colony sim? Like, you're still handling colony sim elements, but the goal is to fight against them and destroy them? Specifically something that still has the depth of a colony sim, just with the roles reversed. Idk if that's even feasible to make without it being an entirely different game not at all like colony sims.

Kenshi simulates NPC settlements in some depth, and you can just be a lone survivor (or a small posse) rather than setting up shop yourself.

I didn't like Kenshi much, I think it's a very shallow game that coasts entirely on a million different "you can do X!" with none of the X modeled beyond the bare minimum to make it work, but... well, it is the answer to a lot of "what's a game where you can do X?" questions. :v:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Grimson posted:

Could anyone give me an explainer on how to get efficient power out of the high-pressure/low-pressure turbines in CoI?

You can put multiple turbines in a row and they all contribute to powering the same flywheels and generators. You can even put high-pressure and pressure turbines in the same row, and they'll all contribute to powering the flywheel(s) and generators.

You should put one or two flywheels (or more) next to your turbines, to even out power spikes and dips. Then you put the generators to convert the power to electricity.

If you are using the boilers to burn up byproducts of diesel production like light oil, you'll want to keep the "Auto-balance" function off. This will keep it running even when not needed, to make sure the production line doesn't back up. Generally, setting the turbines on these to a high priority will keep them running.

If you are trying to create a backup power array powered by coal (which I recommend), you'll want to keep "Auto-Balance" on to save resources, and put those turbine generators at a lower priority, so they only kick on after the ones you are using to prevent overflow.

And finally, put any backup diesel generators at the lowest priority and they'll only kick on if everything else fails.

If space isn't an issue, you can probably even figure out a way to put your coal and oil generators attached to the same flywheels and make it even more efficient.

Here's my backup coal generator setup (with bonus salt & chlorine production). I think theoretically I could have put all 6 turbines in a single row. This one has a capacity of about 4 MW which is tons.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Guild 3 is getting better on the playable side but whether it'll ever actually be fun is unlikely. All the charm from earlier titles is gone and it's just a grindy barely-functional business simulator.

At least they finally added interiors.

Modded Guild 2 does everything better.

I've actually never played the sequel. Which version of the game do I get? I'm sssuming renaissance since all the mods seem to be listed for that but I thought I should check here before leaping in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The more I play COI the more I think about how it is really good. If you think your island is not collapsing it is because you have not noticed the reason it is collapsing, because your island is always collapsing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CoI looks very good but I'm not touching it until release.
Burned out on too many EA games already before they came out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jizz Festival posted:

I've actually never played the sequel. Which version of the game do I get? I'm sssuming renaissance since all the mods seem to be listed for that but I thought I should check here before leaping in.

You want Guild 2: Renaissance (Standalone) with Fajeth's Megamodpack.

There's no real point playing unmodded.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gave up on my first map of Captain of Industry because the death spiral is real. There's just so many connected systems, and if any of them fails, the rest will go down with it very quickly.
My second run is going better so far.
I've researched everything in the Research Lab 2, but I'll slow down again and actually build all the things I've unlocked before progressing further (while slowly upgrading my vehicles).

here's some spaghetti:

Having played a lot of Factorio/Satisfactory/Dyson Sphere Program, it hurts to see smelting blocks this tiny, but in my first game I got punished for trying to scale up too quickly, so I'm holding back for now.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

explosivo posted:

What's the problem, exactly? I have no idea if it's peak efficiency or not but I have high pressure pipes going to 3 turbines, then the low-pressure output from each feed into a pipe balancer set to prioritize into one low pressure turbine with any overflow going to the smoke stack to stop the whole system from backing up. I have the low pressure one set to "Auto-balance" which I truly have no idea what it means but I think it shouldn't spin like crazy with low pressure with that on? Seems to be working well enough with this setup for now :shrug:

Edit: looks like I could probably use a second low pressure turbine, each of the big boys put out 24 low/min at max and the turbine accepts 48/min. Probably going to leave it as is now and expand later if needed.

esquilax posted:

You can put multiple turbines in a row and they all contribute to powering the same flywheels and generators. You can even put high-pressure and pressure turbines in the same row, and they'll all contribute to powering the flywheel(s) and generators.

You should put one or two flywheels (or more) next to your turbines, to even out power spikes and dips. Then you put the generators to convert the power to electricity.

If you are using the boilers to burn up byproducts of diesel production like light oil, you'll want to keep the "Auto-balance" function off. This will keep it running even when not needed, to make sure the production line doesn't back up. Generally, setting the turbines on these to a high priority will keep them running.

If you are trying to create a backup power array powered by coal (which I recommend), you'll want to keep "Auto-Balance" on to save resources, and put those turbine generators at a lower priority, so they only kick on after the ones you are using to prevent overflow.

And finally, put any backup diesel generators at the lowest priority and they'll only kick on if everything else fails.

If space isn't an issue, you can probably even figure out a way to put your coal and oil generators attached to the same flywheels and make it even more efficient.

Here's my backup coal generator setup (with bonus salt & chlorine production). I think theoretically I could have put all 6 turbines in a single row. This one has a capacity of about 4 MW which is tons.

Thank you both! I'd been putting off redoing the electricity for a while since I didn't feel like I had any grasp on it. I'm not sure if the capacity the game reports is just "this is what each piece you plopped down can produce, but they won't cause you placed them wrong" or what. Cause I've been running around 5MW capacity, but only used about 3MW at the peak and those would shut down the grid and I had to employ a bunch of diesel generators to keep the grid up.

Previous set up:

Current set up:

It works like a charm and I can easily add new turbines or flywheels/etc to it when needed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve played train games for 20 years and never understood a chain signal so hopefully you will be fine ignoring them as well.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

zedprime posted:

The more I play COI the more I think about how it is really good. If you think your island is not collapsing it is because you have not noticed the reason it is collapsing, because your island is always collapsing.

It rules. I've redesigned the diesel distillation system of my island twice and I'm in the midst of doing it for the third time right now, and loving every second of it.

Meanwhile my farming economy has collapsed twice and I did a complete overhaul of it and moved it away from the village/city so it has room to grow further. And I'm currently drowning in potatoes as I just need to keep the people fed right now while I sort out other stuff. So it's stable for now. But I also need to overhaul the basic production line as it's dangerously close to the coal mine I'm digging deeper and deeper, and I've unlocked a lot of new technology that's currently only being used to make the higher end stuff, while my basic production line has sat unaltered since I first plopped it down.

There's so much I need to do when all I want to do is look at the excavators move dirt around.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
CoI: for info, on power shafts it makes no difference what order you put the modules in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jack Trades posted:

Burned out on too many EA games already before they came out.

Same, I also need to stop doing exactly this

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I really want to play Dyson Sphere Program, Captain of Industry, Voxel Tycoon and Sweet Transit, but I know I'd binge hard on them and burn out long before they got out of EA.

It's agonizing that there are so many interesting-looking games that are so far away from being fully released.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 11, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Jack Trades posted:

Burning all my time on other EA games already

fixed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AG3 posted:

I really want to play Dyson Sphere Program, Captain of Industry, Voxel Tycoon and Sweet Transit, but I know I'd binge hard on them and burn out long before they got out of EA.

It's agonizing that so many interesting-looking games that are so far away from being fully released.

DSP at least seems close-ish to being in a finished state!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
DSP is adding like a whole rear end combat system with mech customization.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

DSP is adding like a whole rear end combat system with mech customization.

Customization is already in I think but I had no idea they committed to definitely having combat in the game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

explosivo posted:

Customization is already in I think but I had no idea they committed to definitely having combat in the game.

Yup, and much like Factorio it's going to be completely optional, which makes how they're going to integrate it likely to be... very interesting.

Also, yes, customization is in already, and the UI makes Blender look like a beginner-friendly tool with full handholding. People have done some incredible stuff (it's built for bipedal mechs with two arms, but I've seen mechs with 4-6 legs that don't all move on the same cycle built) but it's a horrendous UI for figuring out how to work with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

AG3 posted:

It's agonizing that there are so many interesting-looking games that are so far away from being fully released.

Voxel Tycoon's development pace is very, very slow. I think it has some core design qualities that Sweet Transit lacks (it's much more freeform and tolerant of how you'd like to play where Sweet Transit is more "I 100% must build this next"), but it's probably never going to be actually finished.

IDK if any management game's development cycle will beat out Automation, which has been in EA for 7 years and is on its fourth major version of a campaign prototype that's meant to be entirely replaced by a final version at some point.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup, and much like Factorio it's going to be completely optional, which makes how they're going to integrate it likely to be... very interesting.

Also, yes, customization is in already, and the UI makes Blender look like a beginner-friendly tool with full handholding. People have done some incredible stuff (it's built for bipedal mechs with two arms, but I've seen mechs with 4-6 legs that don't all move on the same cycle built) but it's a horrendous UI for figuring out how to work with it.

From how they described it, it doesn't sound like Factorio where enemies attack you, but more like something where you choose to go out and engage in combat which... doesn't make sense to me at all. Maybe killing enemies provides some kind of bonuses that would make it worthwhile. We'll see, but I'm not too optimistic about it. Never been able to enjoy DSP anyway because the building sucks unbelievably massive amounts of dick, but I want to try again at some point.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
From the name I expected Sweet Transit to be based on the alternate resource mode in Transport Tycoon that has you shipping powdered sugar and peppermint and poo poo, kinda disappointed that it isn't to be honest.

It's definitely an interesting attempt to update TT, the progression and the city building stuff seem cool based on what limited parts of it are in the demo. I found myself comparing it to Railway Empires, the industry interactions make more sense to me in Sweet Transit and I find building tracks on a grid a lot easier than doing it freehand. Railway Empires is WAY better in terms of quality of life and UI though, even in a short demo I got fed up of building the same T junction and the same station complex over and over, and it took me multiple restarts to figure out that stations don't use the same sort of catchment area mechanics that I am used to because the thing that tells you a station is not connected to anything is not obvious at all.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, the UI in Sweet Transit needs some work. It's not clear at all whether trains are picking up things or not, there's no way to easily tell how many workers fit in a house. There are a lot of pop-up boxes and despite that, I'm never 100% sure where and how I get information. And yes, blueprints would be amazing.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Like I was joking earlier but also not joking. People keep saying things like Sweet Transit is an updated OpenTTD, but it only has trains. Like that literally feels like a step backward. Especially when things like Transport Fever 2, etc. are out there.

I don't understand the excitement. Could someone explain it to me (I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to understand)?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SlyFrog posted:

Like I was joking earlier but also not joking. People keep saying things like Sweet Transit is an updated OpenTTD, but it only has trains. Like that literally feels like a step backward. Especially when things like Transport Fever 2, etc. are out there.

I don't understand the excitement. Could someone explain it to me (I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to understand)?

:catstare: TRAINS! :dogstare:

In all seriousness, Sweet Transit is supposed to be built around a gimmick of "Trains and pedestrian roads only!" as something of a challenge and puzzle. The whole point is train fetishism taken to a silly level and the challenge of designing a working economy entirely out of trains. It's supposed to be at least a little tongue-in-cheek and not entirely serious.

Transport Fever 2 and such are basically a sandbox to create a semi-realistic transport network involving not just trains but a whole bunch of other vehicles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just thought sweet trains looked cool and added it to my wishlist. After playing the demo there's things I like about it but have definitely tempered my expectations for the final game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it's probably designed in mind for ppl with my mindset who love OpenTTD but are really rail enthusiasts and want a game with ONLY trains/focus on trains. It's kinda like asking why you can't drive a boat in Euro Truck Simulator. There's tons of games that you can drive a boat in, but that one focuses on trucks.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Railroad Tycoon 2 and it's soundtrack.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Trains are the conceptually perfect transportation form for a conceptually perfect world. Where there are cars and planes there is chaos.

If I have one complaint about COI its that while the boat-and-excavator-punk world is novel, I still miss the old familiar standby of trains.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Started playing Let's Build A Zoo earlier and a couple of hours went by in a blink. It's a bit too fast-paced for me to really love it, but it's a nice little game with a sense of humour and quite attractive pixel art. I'm breeding a pig and a capybara together.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

Trains are the conceptually perfect transportation form for a conceptually perfect world. Where there are cars and planes there is chaos.

:spergin: but actually. Trains are a lot easier to reason about for the amount of cargo they're moving compared to vehicles etc, and signalling gives it a somewhat orderly clockwork feeling.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Played the Sweet Transit demo, got the "you unlocked everything in the demo" achievement, and don't think I like the game concept.
What especially kills my enthusiasm is the empty world, the only things that exist without you are resource nodes, and then you have to build everything. It feels pointless/aimless, when the world doesn't have demands/desires for me to fulfill. I'll go back to my train games with industries built where they felt like being and towns expanding on their own.

euphronius posted:

I’ve played train games for 20 years and never understood a chain signal so hopefully you will be fine ignoring them as well.

Chain signals (or OTTD "pre-signals") are an abomination and are worse at everything than path signals. They just require more clicks and more space than path signals but have no advantages over them. They demand you to solve problems that path signals solve for you. They're another reason I don't think I'll like Sweet Transit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

weird question but of all the unabashed Factorio clones which one is closest to Factorio as such

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

weird question but of all the unabashed Factorio clones which one is closest to Factorio as such

I haven't played absolutely everyone of them, but I'd say Dyson Sphere Program is the closest. Except DSP doesn't have trains. That's kind of a big deal because everyone loves trains, but DSP has spaceships instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shivers posted:

I haven't played absolutely everyone of them, but I'd say Dyson Sphere Program is the closest. Except DSP doesn't have trains. That's kind of a big deal because everyone loves trains, but DSP has spaceships instead.

this is a real sacrifice but not a dealbreaker, thank you

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I started looking at the third retooling of my diesel extraction plant last night cause I wanted to ramp up production and also add some more features to it.

This is what it looked like before I ripped it all up.

So I have offshore oil coming in from a cargo terminal which gets put into storage tank hell before it goes through extraction and kicks out diesel and rubber at the end of the day.

The plans for the new one was to make it a bit more flexible and give me the opportunity to add more capacity if needed, while also adding in new lines to give me more useful products at the end of the day.

This is where I was last night. I doesn't look like much but there's about an hour of carefully drawn pipelines hidden within all the blue stuff.

I've added 50% capacity and I can expand further to the left if I need it, and I've moved the cargo port and replaced it with an automated chemical plant that kicks out fertilizer as a byproduct of one of the diesel processes (I forget which). But I stopped playing last night after I remembered I needed to get a desalination plant in there somewhere if I actually wanted to run the drat plant at all. (There's so many systems, I love it.)

So I've booted up CoI a couple of times throughout the day just looking at this thing and closing it down cause I can't. I just can't.

But I just spent an hour or so looking at it again and well... I built a desalination and chlorine extraction plant instead.

With a hastily added on diesel distillery cause I'm seriously running out of the stuff and need some right now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shivers posted:

The side effect is that DSP ends up being absolutely gorgeous. Especially once you get your spheres in construction.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alkydere posted:

The side effect is that DSP ends up being absolutely gorgeous. Especially once you get your spheres in construction.

DSP also doesn't have the sheer length that Factorio does to make trains useful; the very long distance travel is interplanetary which is sort of like trains but actually not.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Train signals but in space when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've messed around and don't want to buy Sweet Transit, but drat, do I love the soundtrack.