Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Qubee posted:

Your avatar makes me miss the good old simple days of playing Clonk Rage.
Clonk pioneered the "consume landscape to fuel industry and then get stuck deep down in the mine"-thing of CoI.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

My main gripe is the limited resources make me feel like I'm on a timer and it sort of stresses me out, it feels like I have to constantly be advancing while my coal supply is dwindling. The terraforming that happens when mining is awesome though and I guess that's not really possible without limited resources.
That timer is a pretty relaxed one, though. And the ever changing setup of "a mine" can't really work without limitation.

However, you'll be able to import goods from outposts on the worldmap, later on. I've found two oil rigs so far, as well as sulfur and coal mines and a sawmill.
The oil rigs draw from a limited reserve (current estimate: 3.5k years for each of them, lol), but the mines are unlimited.

tl,dr: While your local reserves are limited, they're cool and you'll discover some unlimited reserves later on.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Small ONI story. So I was asking on the CoI Steam discussion thread for a real tutorial and someone called me a brain dead casual. So I told them to look at my profile which immediately shows an EA review I wrote for ONI and 1,100 hours in ONI. Never heard back from them :)

The reality is that 1,000 of those hours were in EA when the game was way more straightforward than it is now, it's too complex to be fun for me now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

So I was asking on the CoI Steam discussion thread

oh god why

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No reply on Yahoo Answers. :v:

I wish I knew how much I’ve played ONI but for a few years it wasn’t unusual for me to have the game running, paused with screen off, for hours or even days. I think Steam says 7000 hours or something.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Looks like they're going the Surviving Mars approach to tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL8jP9l2Q-0

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah, retaining walls are new and took me a good minute to figure out. I've got some really sloppy ramps up now that I can't be arsed to dig up to make pretty. But these are going to come in so handy for my coal pits.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Small ONI story. So I was asking on the CoI Steam discussion thread for a real tutorial and someone called me a brain dead casual. So I told them to look at my profile which immediately shows an EA review I wrote for ONI and 1,100 hours in ONI. Never heard back from them :)

The reality is that 1,000 of those hours were in EA when the game was way more straightforward than it is now, it's too complex to be fun for me now.

I feel if anything it's less complex then it used to be, I mean asteroids are gone now and diseases got nerfed to nothing so you can ignore them. The new rocket stuff is far easier and has more options then the old stuff too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
COI is a very good natural resource hubris simulator.

Overdrawing the water aquifer? Tomorrow me's problem.

Balancing oil production lines with offshore rigs? Tomorrow me's problem.

Peak mineral deposits? Dig down stupid. After that, you guessed it, tomorrow me's problem.

I agree the timer seems pretty relaxed in the grand scheme but the pressures do make it feel really good when you unlock efficiency options and coproducts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I gave W&R a go, hit a road bump relatively quickly and it made me sad. I bought an excavator in my road depot, then realised I can send them up to the quarries to automate mining. So I bought a flatbed truck and loaded the excavator onto it because they drive SO SLOW. Turns out, you're not able to manually move vehicles around on flatbeds and unload them? No matter what I did, I couldn't get the excavator to unload in the empty quarry.

Also, placing quarries is a nightmare. You gotta place them on rocky stuff, but if you place them in a normal way, you get really low quality. If you place them somewhere that gives you 80% quality, you gotta physically shape the landscape and there's a 50/50 on whether you can actually end up placing the drat thing or not. And then good luck actually having a road manage to get to it. I also was hoping I could conveyor belt quarried stone directly into the factory that processes it, but I don't know if that's a possibility, so instead I use trucks but the loading time takes ages so it's barely enough to feed the factory and keep it going at full speed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If anyone actually tries out that catizens game when it comes out or has tried the demo, please make a post in here about it. I'm curious how well it marries the colony sim genre with the sims style relationship interactions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/957660/Catizens/

Unrelated but idk how to ask this question without it sounding really stupid. Are there any games that are like the opposite of a colony sim? Like, you're still handling colony sim elements, but the goal is to fight against them and destroy them? Specifically something that still has the depth of a colony sim, just with the roles reversed. Idk if that's even feasible to make without it being an entirely different game not at all like colony sims.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Qubee posted:

I gave W&R a go, hit a road bump relatively quickly and it made me sad. I bought an excavator in my road depot, then realised I can send them up to the quarries to automate mining. So I bought a flatbed truck and loaded the excavator onto it because they drive SO SLOW. Turns out, you're not able to manually move vehicles around on flatbeds and unload them? No matter what I did, I couldn't get the excavator to unload in the empty quarry.

Also, placing quarries is a nightmare. You gotta place them on rocky stuff, but if you place them in a normal way, you get really low quality. If you place them somewhere that gives you 80% quality, you gotta physically shape the landscape and there's a 50/50 on whether you can actually end up placing the drat thing or not. And then good luck actually having a road manage to get to it. I also was hoping I could conveyor belt quarried stone directly into the factory that processes it, but I don't know if that's a possibility, so instead I use trucks but the loading time takes ages so it's barely enough to feed the factory and keep it going at full speed.

I use storage pits for pretty much everything. I usually have a small one near the quarries for stone, and a large one near the gravel factory for gravel. Have one truck go from the quarry to the storage, and another go from storage to the gravel factory (you might even be able to conveyer the stone into the factory, it's been a while since I've played W&R). Gravel is one of those industries that will slowly chug along in the background once you have it going. Don't worry, though, because you'll still end up with more gravel than you know what to do with. :)

Also, put a gas station near your quarry because you do not want the excavators driving any more than necessary when they need to refuel.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated but idk how to ask this question without it sounding really stupid. Are there any games that are like the opposite of a colony sim? Like, you're still handling colony sim elements, but the goal is to fight against them and destroy them? Specifically something that still has the depth of a colony sim, just with the roles reversed. Idk if that's even feasible to make without it being an entirely different game not at all like colony sims.

in Rimworld you can build an army
and attack other colonies, that's the closest I can think of. With mods you can even go attack other planets.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

FirstAidKite posted:

Sounds like you're describing a dungeon crawler where the monsters are managed by some AI playing Dungeon Keeper.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Qubee posted:

you can belt the stone out of storage, but I think most people just build the gravel plant as close as possible to the quarries and don't bother with intermediate stone storage.

the mod gravel plant with two roads instead of one greatly increases throughput, and two quarries with like 40% and two trucks each can keep it fed more or less constantly.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Qubee posted:

Try moving the flatbed to the quarry and then, while it's there, selecting the excavator and setting its home building there?

Worst case you should be able to move it to a CO where it will also be useful, and buy another direct from the quarry's window. Or build a CO near the quarry to eventually handle gravel/asphalt/concrete needs, which are huge, slow, and will often have workers twiddling their thumbs waiting on delivery if you don't have an aggregates-only CO prep the site, then drive it only that short distance in an as yet quiet area.

You definitely can't conveyor cut stone into the gravel plant or out of the quarry. You can, however, conveyor it down hills if needed, meaning your switchbacks can be spaghetti if needed. Do note that the truck dependency means source quality isn't a huge deal, an excavator will easily churn as much stone as can be loaded even with mediocre quality--which also means there's no real benefit in bussing workers up.

Also, the terraforming involved is a lot easier if you flatten a spot near the bottom of a rock face, build the mine, and then build a ramp or bridge to it after the mine's built and further terraforming doesn't affect its area/further reduce its quality.
And while fuel is important, you can deliver it directly; the dumpers feeding the gravel plant (or the road aggregate unloading going to a conveyor tower going to an aggregate storage going to a road aggregate loading where other trucks pick it up to bring to the plant) should even also sip from that tank, giving you an almost entirely self-contained mountaintop loop that only needs a tanker run up once a month, and therefore can take the biiiiig slow dumpers without intersecting with other traffic. Which cuts down on time spent blocking the mine's loading bay while pulling in or out.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

Best I can think of is stuff like The Guild where you can pick the thief profession and corrupt the entire city to your benefit, but I could never get the hang of the game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

If anyone actually tries out that catizens game when it comes out or has tried the demo, please make a post in here about it. I'm curious how well it marries the colony sim genre with the sims style relationship interactions.

Ruinarch maybe?

I'd kill for a dungeon core type game - like overlord/etc but without the 14 year old in 1998 humor style, and more customization.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Ruinarch.
It's still l in EA though.

EDIT: It's not quite what was asked for but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Shadows of Forbidden Gods is the same idea but for a 4X game instead, it's really cool.
Also still EA though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in a weird way you can sorta make an argument that playing traitor in SS13 is like that in the sense everyone else is playing individuals in a colony sim sorta. but very much different genre in that case.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The kind of thing I'm thinking of would be more like there already being an established and ever-expanding colony and you're forming your own rebellion within it to dismantle, sabotage, usurp, or otherwise smash the state.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Re: W&R quarry chat:

Yeah, sadly you can’t dump an excavator via flat bed in a quarry, as it only has one “home”
Slot that only takes an excavator. You need to just rehome the excavator - it’ll plod it’s way over to the quarry. Don’t build a gas station near the quarry - unless you want it for the trucks - feed the quarry gas directly so the excavator never has to leave.

As for leveling, there’s a lot of little tricks for this, but the auto leveling for the building is powerful. You’re falling into a very easy trap W&R sets, too, where the purity of the quarried rock is almost meaningless if it’s anything above say 25%? The excavator filling a truck is almost never on the critical path for producing gravel and if it is, can be almost immediately countered by having multiple quarries which are cheap. So long as it’s got a measurable percentage (I really tend to aim like 50% and consider that super good) your gravel processing is the problem.

Using the mod for gravel processing isn’t a bad idea but let me put it to you this way, which a lot of folks miss in W&R, as it’s not true of other factory games: Your gravel processor does not need to be any more efficient. It bugs us as management gamers that there’s big productivity holes in it, but in one of my most productive maps (construction wise) it took dozens of dump trucks feeding a seemingly endless construction queue before I even cut meaningfully into the buffer provided by one large gravel storage.

Don’t forget that efficiency works both ways! A process is inefficient if idle because it has overproduced, not just when not actively working. :science:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

The kind of thing I'm thinking of would be more like there already being an established and ever-expanding colony and you're forming your own rebellion within it to dismantle, sabotage, usurp, or otherwise smash the state.

AI War 2

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Re: W&R quarry chat:

Yeah, sadly you can’t dump an excavator via flat bed in a quarry, as it only has one “home”
Slot that only takes an excavator. You need to just rehome the excavator - it’ll plod it’s way over to the quarry. Don’t build a gas station near the quarry - unless you want it for the trucks - feed the quarry gas directly so the excavator never has to leave.

To expand on this, as others have suggested, you could build a construction office or a vehicle depot near the quarry which you may reuse anyway. Alternately, because excavators will prefer paths with lower speed limits to prevent traffic jams, you can place dirt roads parallel to three path you're taking.

Alternately, just sell it and rebuy it!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

For those of you who want the 'real deal' in space, here you go

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

FirstAidKite posted:

Unfortunately you're only ever gonna get to 'well... its kinda like that but..." in that search. Nobody has made anything modern for running a rebellion or whatnot. You can kinda get there with some games, but I've never found a manager style game thats got there in a not pretty shallow way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
can't wait to play the nasa card game and use the operation paperclip card

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Okay I'll be honest, I flaked on W&R, it just didn't hook me. But is there a good tutorial series I can watch to make heads or tails or what I'm doing? The freeform building is something I absolutely despise, all my cities and roads look wonky. But if you guys link me to a good (not boring) tutorial series that quickly and effectively gets to the point, I'll give it a go.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Qubee posted:

Okay I'll be honest, I flaked on W&R, it just didn't hook me. But is there a good tutorial series I can watch to make heads or tails or what I'm doing? The freeform building is something I absolutely despise, all my cities and roads look wonky. But if you guys link me to a good (not boring) tutorial series that quickly and effectively gets to the point, I'll give it a go.

Hey can you work on a bit not to say guys? we like our genders as they are thanks much!!!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's a colloquial term to mean a group of people, and this is a slippery slope I don't want to get into as I feel I'll get dogpiled by the powers that be.

Anyway, I played some InfraCity, it was cool, but man I wish I could go back to the first time I ever played Factorio. Haven't had a game hook me that hard since, and I miss it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I do specifically wish that "y'all" was more accepted outside the south.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Hey can you work on a bit not to say guys? we like our genders as they are thanks much!!!

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Guys is clearly a generic terms for a group of people these days.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pharnakes posted:

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Guys is clearly a generic terms for a group of people these days.

i mean, i think the context feels a bit different to me in a forum thread like this where i am not going to complain... but the whole "generic term for group of people" thing is not something i like to hear when its being used in a group context in person so... buzz off honestly?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anytime a cishet male tries to tell me that guys is gender neutral, I ask them how many guys they've hosed.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 8, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Youse need to chill.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Anytime a cishet male tries to tell me that guys is gender neutral, I ask them how many guys they've hosed.

Do you ask them about their sexuality first to make sure they're hets?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jack Trades posted:

I don't do it to strangers, no.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 8, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

wow, i am so surprised, that jack trades turn out to be lovely

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does CoI just ignore labor completely ?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Phrasing chat - What an exciting derail this is turning into! Maybe everyone can just be a little more thoughtful in phrasing instead of discussing our own personal dong deliveries?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Please spoil the responses so people can skip them. Again please use gender neutral language, it's something that's very common for SA overall.