Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are rice cookers only good for plain rice? 90% of the rice I make is Tex-Mex style "Spanish" rice, which is toasted in oil before cooking in a tomato-y sauce. Can you make something like that in one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You can! Just as easily! I could have made coconut rice in there but (successfully) maxed out my Maillard factor instead. Some rice cookers will also brown the bottom too (on purpose or not). You can make congee and oatmeal and quinoa or amaranth or whatever. It's amazingly versatile

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What I do for pilafs is toast the rice with butter/oil in a bowl in the microwave (it works!), scrape into the rice cooker to cook, serve in the same bowl.

You can also just put the metal insert on the stovetop to sautée the rice, that's just a little less convenient imo.

I use my little $15 one for pilafs, brown rice, wild rice mixes, and quinoa. I can't even guess the last time I used it for plain white rice.

The way it works (e: the way the "dumb" cheap ones work) is it stops cooking when it stops boiling. So if your Spanish rice is intended to be liquidy, it won't know when to stop and you'll have to figure it out manually. But if it's a thicker texture, it should be fine, just possibly toasty on the bottom (which is always my favorite part anyway)

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 7, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

Are rice cookers only good for plain rice? 90% of the rice I make is Tex-Mex style "Spanish" rice, which is toasted in oil before cooking in a tomato-y sauce. Can you make something like that in one of them?

I would proceed with caution here. I tried tex-mex rice in a rice cooker with some tomato paste in with the water and it came out badly under cooked. So anything more fancy than water + rice + dried spices seems to mess with the timing. Less "smart" rice cookers might not be thrown off by that sort of thing.

Though back when I was a meat eater I had great success floating sliced smoke sausage on top of some Vigo jambalaya rice mix in a rice cooker. So you can get fancy to a point.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

McCracAttack posted:

I would proceed with caution here. I tried tex-mex rice in a rice cooker with some tomato paste in with the water and it came out badly under cooked. So anything more fancy than water + rice + dried spices seems to mess with the timing. Less "smart" rice cookers might not be thrown off by that sort of

Did you fry the rice first?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Did you add the tomato paste before or after measuring the water

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Did you use the "this is not just rice" button? I've tossed tomatoes in my rice cooker when I have too many.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol at rice cookers that have more than just a power button

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Excuse me, folks.

I've just started baking bread for the first time. Getting better at it, and I'm starting to branch out a little. I'd like to try making some pies, and also puff pastry, brioche. Lots of things, really. I tend to go to Budgetbytes for a lot of my recipes, but they don't have what I need. Random recipes from random websites can be pretty hit or miss, so I thought I'd ask here- is there a good website for baking recipes and tutorials? I'd also be good with some book recommendations.

On a related note, I'd like to hear some thoughts with regard to bread pans. I have a cheap metal one, and a decent glass one. I will need more, and would like a recommendation. I would also appreciate a recommendation for a pie pan, and I would be happy to hear any other recommendations for equipment that y'all might have for an aspiring baker.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dutch oven if you want to make artisanal and crunchy bread at home. Because of how heavy it is, it has a lot of thermal mass, so bread gets a nice big jolt of heat when you first plop it in. Plus the heavy lid traps steam which gives it a nice oven spring. Get a nice banneton too and a lame for cutting nice decorations into the bread.

As a sidenote, I've always been told it's not worth making puff pastry at home. The effort vs payoff isn't really something that makes you want to spend the time investment for it. I've not fully answered your question with regards to bread pans and recipe websites, sorry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
ATK is a great default source. They have a recipe for anything you want, and it's almost always an excellent one. You could buy a bundle of The Perfect Pie/Cake/Cookie and spend a year just on those. They also have extensive equipment recommendations.

The Book on Pie (not ATK) is also great and has more mix-and-match options. Smitten Kitchen is another excellent blog. Stella Parks gets a lot of love, but I think a lot of her focus is on at-home versions of commercial food, like homemade Oreos, which isn't my thing (but maybe it's yours).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Excuse me, folks.

I've just started baking bread for the first time. Getting better at it, and I'm starting to branch out a little. I'd like to try making some pies, and also puff pastry, brioche. Lots of things, really. I tend to go to Budgetbytes for a lot of my recipes, but they don't have what I need. Random recipes from random websites can be pretty hit or miss, so I thought I'd ask here- is there a good website for baking recipes and tutorials? I'd also be good with some book recommendations.

On a related note, I'd like to hear some thoughts with regard to bread pans. I have a cheap metal one, and a decent glass one. I will need more, and would like a recommendation. I would also appreciate a recommendation for a pie pan, and I would be happy to hear any other recommendations for equipment that y'all might have for an aspiring baker.

I really like Joy of Baking.

She has a Youtube channel as well.

And as said above, making puff pastry is something you'll probably try once, and then never again. It's completely doable at home, but it's just....not even remotely worth it. If I'm making pastry like that at home anymore, it is basically always rough puff.

ETA: As for equipment, if you're doing pastry, a pastry cutter is...while not 100% essential, so much less of a chore to use than methods like "hold two knives together" and the like.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 9, 2022

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Excuse me, folks.

Some suggestions:
Josey Bread is a great basic primer on sourdough with a ton of pictures of what dough should look like at various stages

Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish is a spectacular book, more technical than Josey, more focused on traditional boules and pizza.

Breads from LaBrea by Nancy Silverton is a spectacular collection of various bread recipes and techniques. She and Steve Sullivan at Acme were at the forefront of the artisan bread revival on the west coast. Her bagel recipe is still my favorite. She also has a pastries from LaBrea book as well if you want to dig into sweets.

For web and video, Baking with Julia is a classic. Great video of a ton of different techniques from serious industry heavyweights from the 80's and 90's. The Martha Stewart wedding cake episode, Danishes with Beatrice Okajangas, and Patisserie with goddam Michel Richard, sourdough with Steve Sullivan, Leah Chase making biscuits. Seriously, watch this stuff.

Bakeware: a good digital scale. For pans, I like Chicago Metallic. A stand mixer with a dough hook, KitchenAid is the standard. A baking stone is helpful for pizza crust.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've never used her recipes for bread or pastry, but Sally's Baking Addiction has never, and I mean never steered me wrong. Some of the recipes I've gotten from there have been best-in-class.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Come to the Bread Thread

As a bonus, we're discussing that Gatorade bread and other liquids you can use in bread!

We have real content though I swear

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

These are one of the best bang for buck loaf pans around.
USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan, 1 Pound, Silver
https://a.co/d/8LBemCF

They have Pullman pans too if you have a need for square bread:greencube:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I usually just pull recipes from the King Arthur site (https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes), they’re usually pretty decent. They also sell equipment and of course and are most well-known for their protein rich flours. I usually use my instincts when I look for recipes, sometimes they just feel off and then I’ll keep looking.

I’ll turn this question around, does anyone have a good source for Mexican baking/pan dulce recipes? I don’t speak Spanish so it’s a bit hard to find good stuff. My local panaderia made some cubiletes that were amazing, and I always love the besos too (they make them with some kind of meringue frosting in the middle rather than jam). It would be fun to try some of that stuff myself.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 10, 2022

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
There's not a ton in English. Fany Gerson's My Sweet Mexico is the best pastry specific source I've found in English. Her Garibaldi recipe is in my regular rotation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last time I made my own beef tallow (can't be found in stores here, neither can lard) it turned out to have a potent odor. Too strong for me to be honest. I did the "dry" rendering last time in the slow cooker. This time I think I will try the wet method where you add water and see if that helps any. I've heard adding salt and baking soda will help take some of the smell out. Anyone know any other tricks?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last time I made my own beef tallow (can't be found in stores here, neither can lard) it turned out to have a potent odor. Too strong for me to be honest. I did the "dry" rendering last time in the slow cooker. This time I think I will try the wet method where you add water and see if that helps any. I've heard adding salt and baking soda will help take some of the smell out. Anyone know any other tricks?

Where do you live that you can’t find either of these things?

You could try sous vide, I keep meaning to test that out, because my wife doesn’t really like it when I monopolise the kitchen for hours making meat smells.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

monopolise the kitchen for hours making meat smells

Thread title :mods:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I’ve experienced the same thing and I think slow cookers just get too hot and burn the fat a little bit. Adding water does help.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Is Cosori a good brand? What is a good, economical food dehydrator?

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Got a big jar of tahini paste. What should I make that doesn't require too many ingredients?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hummus is probably the go to use for tahini.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

The pre-bought hummus around here is already pretty good imo. Anything else?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Halva would be another use of lots of tahini. Some people don’t like the texture so ymmv.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

arrowdust posted:

Got a big jar of tahini paste. What should I make that doesn't require too many ingredients?

Tahini sauce is amazing.

https://www.seriouseats.com/israeli-style-tahini-sauce-recipe

Usually used on falafel/kebab, but I love it on tons of stuff. We even just use it as salad dressing and it’s great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bluedeanie posted:

Is Cosori a good brand? What is a good, economical food dehydrator?

we have a cosori air fryer and it seems to work well

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

arrowdust posted:

I use tahini as the base for a marinade for chicken, which I serve with couscous and roasted vegetables

Tahini
Molasses
Cumin
Paprika
Garlic
Lemon juice
Chilli flakes
Whatever other spices I fancy

I sometimes grill the chicken as kebabs, sometimes sous vide and blowtorch, it always tastes great

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I used to have an Instant Pot in the UK, it was one of the main tools I used for cooking. Absolutely amazing piece of kit. I've since moved countries and bought an Instant Pot again, but then decided to return it and get the Ninja Foodi. So far, I'm highly impressed with it. The fact it's a little convection oven to boot makes me glad I got it instead of the IP.

I made lamb rogan josh yesterday and it was decadent. Super tasty and the big hunks of lamb were just melt in the mouth deliciousness. I've always had trouble picking cuts of lamb, the stuff I get is usually mainly fat or bone and not much meat! Does anyone have any recommendations on what cut to get if I want large, meaty chunks to dig into? I bought "New Zealand Whole Lamb Cuts" but it was rather poo poo. The pic below is what it was advertised as, what I got was mainly bone and fat with minimal meat.

Also, any tips on how to pressure cook this stuff? The bone-in lamb got put in high pressure for 25 minutes but was still rubbery, so I did another 25 minutes and it was fork tender. Is there any risk of overcooking stuff in a pressure cooker?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You’re always going to have the limitation that lambs are pretty small animals, remove the skin and fleece, bones and internal organs and there’s not a lot to work with. Additionally, because they’re extremely young and unworked, they have very little muscle that requires the kind of cooking you’re talking about: you can, but you don’t need to. The biggest bit for chunks on a quadruped is usually the leg, which in a lamb is tender enough to roast or butterfly on a grill. This is the bit you want for slow cooking. Buy the whole leg, get a sharp knife and follow a youtube video to remove the bone. This way, you know what bit of meat you’re actually getting and you can cut it into the right size bits.

If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, I can wholeheartedly recommend breast of lamb St. Menehould if you can find an original recipe. Breast is fatty, but braising it, cooling it, pressing it and breadcrumbing and grilling it turns it into something magical.

I can also tentatively recommend you exploring mutton or cull yaw. This has a stronger flavour than lamb, but being from a larger older animal has bigger muscles that need longer cooking.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Excuse me, folks.

Not sure how much this helps, but if you're talking 'pies' - the very first thing I learned to properly cook (because I'd just moved to America and couldn't get them any more) was Cornish pasties which are basically pies, but they're fairly easy mode because it's shortcrust pastry. Roughly speaking flour, half as much fat (i use half lard/half butter these days but all butter also works fine), a bit of salt, some water til you get a thick shaggy dough. If it worked for me it might work for you, though the precise recipe I first used, while on the internet at the time, was from 2002 so I have no idea where it is any more :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Where do you live that you can’t find either of these things?

Not all countries have the same things :) When I lived in the US, lard I could only find in the Mexican aisle (which I doubt is available to OP). Beef dripping was right out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

feedmegin posted:

Not all countries have the same things :)

Yes, I know. I am curious to know which country it is.

When we lived in Florida, lard wasn’t a problem, but I could never find beef dripping.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

feedmegin posted:

Not all countries have the same things :) When I lived in the US, lard I could only find in the Mexican aisle (which I doubt is available to OP). Beef dripping was right out.

there was (is?) a company selling pint jars of tallow, duck fat, and lard... it was fairly expensive and I only ever saw it at Walmart in the rural southeastern US (of all places). the local store rearranged the shelves a couple years ago and it disappeared.

which is not to say that you're wrong. it stood out specifically because it was something I'd never seen before. (except the lard. that's in every store down here.)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
D'Artagnan is an expensive company that sells things like that! I only see duck fat right now but I'm almost positive it's been there before

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
ShopRite has that, store brand and not expensive iirc

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Ok I'm thinking making two steaks today, I'll sous vide them then put them in the fridge to cool and dry them out before searing on a hot cast iron. I use quite a bit of butter to baste them while searing them.

I want to make a red wine pan sauce. Should I pour out the large amount of butter in the pan before deglazing? It's quite a bit of butter and it tends to be pretty brown or black from the high heat sear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you have any Polish or Eastern European stores nearby, you can get lard, It'll be called 'smalec'. There's cheap, rendered smalec for cooking and the fancy kind that comes in a jar and has bits of crispy meat included, this is meant to be spread on bread.