Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am working on tier 3 science now in COI and looped clear around to too much diesel. Need more coproducts. I'm never going to fertilize anything at this rate. I guess I should be limiting my excitement until I get to literal Haber process plus natural gas reformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Jack Trades posted:

Train signals but in space when

There's probably a Kerbal mod, ask in the KSP thread

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Train signals but in 4 dimensions where you need to place signals through time as well as 3D space

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

weird question but of all the unabashed Factorio clones which one is closest to Factorio as such

None of them are close. It's like asking what 0451 is closest to Deus Ex. DSP is probably the closest in terms of being a good game, although personally I can't stand playing it because the building mechanics are just awful in DSP.

The real answer is just play Factorio mods. Or put yourself into a coma for 5 years until Wube releases the expansion.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

zedprime posted:

I am working on tier 3 science now in COI and looped clear around to too much diesel. Need more coproducts. I'm never going to fertilize anything at this rate. I guess I should be limiting my excitement until I get to literal Haber process plus natural gas reformation.

I'm at the same point right now.
It looks like you could also plant extra wheat and turn that into organic fertilizer, but I haven't done the math on whether that's worth doing over just planting more of the product you want to have.

Also, what's the point of the wheat into biofuel recipe? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the potato recipe is just better in every way despite wheat being higher tech and having better options if you just want to get rid of any excess you have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Put the finishing touches on a Distillation Stage 1 > 2 > 3 refinery straight from the dock and ending with a massive power plant fueled by Fuel Gas (at the moment), which just about doubled my max power capacity and should ideally be more stable than my old setup. I buried my pipelines for the first time doing this and it worked really well and looks great, definitely going to do this for long pipelines instead of building ramps moving forward.

While I was working on this I completely failed to realize that my unity was in the negative and actually completely ran out because I'm used to rushing all the construction now. Everything almost came to a complete stop but I had a ton of buildings unity-ified so I undid those and was back in the green. Things just stop working when there's no unity, apparently!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I played a bunch of Riftbreaker and it was fun. Is there anything else similar to it? Preferably not in EA.

Factorio obviously is great but a bit too brain intensive for what I feel like playing right now. I just wanna plop down buildings and then kill stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jack Trades posted:

I legit would love if once they got DSP to 1.0 they started adding other megastructures (And maybe fission power). Create warp gates to shorten travel distances between distant stars. Or maybe planet crackers to rip apart planets. Add asteroid belts that you have to build mining platforms to strip since they're too small for the Icarus/default buildings.

Heck, I'd even pay for them if they were $5-10 DLCs. The developers need to eat too after all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why isn't there a Galaxy Express 999 management sim

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tried Sweet Transit.

A++ sound track. Couldn't figure out how to make the game accept a cross junction as valid to travel across even though I actually understand Factorio's and Satisfactory's implementations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

explosivo posted:

Put the finishing touches on a Distillation Stage 1 > 2 > 3 refinery straight from the dock and ending with a massive power plant fueled by Fuel Gas (at the moment), which just about doubled my max power capacity and should ideally be more stable than my old setup. I buried my pipelines for the first time doing this and it worked really well and looks great, definitely going to do this for long pipelines instead of building ramps moving forward.

Does pipe flow work like Factorio where longer pipe = reduced throughput, or can you just make a huge pipeline to get the fuel to the middle of the map instead of having it at the coast where the refineries tend to be?

e: answering my own question:
I don't think it will be an issue here. The problem in Factorio is that each piece of pipe is its own fluid box with the same capacity. But in CoI, all pipe segments get added together, so a long pipe will take a while to fill up, but once it gets going, you should get the full throughput.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 12, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah and because of that if you really need to, you can use a snaky pipe as a small buffer.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I might have just barely avoided losing another map now (at least it looks like I've managed to stabilize again just in time :ohdear:).
If you set a cargo dock module to upgrade, but it's waiting for the parts, it will still unload from the current load on the ship, but the next time the ship goes out, it won't fetch anything for that module.
Which is problematic if you need that oil to keep...everything running.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, CoI is just so got dang good. I haven't done the 'stay up until 2am accidentally because I was so engrossed' thing in a while but there's just always so much to do and the game really has that ant farm thing where I just get lost watching stuff work. I hope they're able to get random maps in there at some point. I'd also love to see multiple buildable islands so the exporting/importing game is a little more involved than it is now; being able to set up secondary manufacturing islands to keep pollution away from your population a la Anno would be very awesome.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here are some lists from Steam regarding management games that folks might be interested in.

https://club.steam250.com/tag/255534 (Top automation games)
https://steam250.com/tag/base_building (Top base building games)
https://steam250.com/tag/crafting (Top crafting games

Of course there is some overlap. If people think these links are valuable I can add them to the OP.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mayveena posted:

Here are some lists from Steam regarding management games that folks might be interested in.

https://club.steam250.com/tag/255534 (Top automation games)
https://steam250.com/tag/base_building (Top base building games)
https://steam250.com/tag/crafting (Top crafting games

Of course there is some overlap. If people think these links are valuable I can add them to the OP.

I got a thesis to do goddammit, I can't just disappear and become a games hermit for months

........can I?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

explosivo posted:

Man, CoI is just so got dang good. I haven't done the 'stay up until 2am accidentally because I was so engrossed' thing in a while but there's just always so much to do and the game really has that ant farm thing where I just get lost watching stuff work. I hope they're able to get random maps in there at some point. I'd also love to see multiple buildable islands so the exporting/importing game is a little more involved than it is now; being able to set up secondary manufacturing islands to keep pollution away from your population a la Anno would be very awesome.
If CoI went full Anno I think it would supplant Workers and Resources as my desert island/conceptually perfect forever game.

I think that's what it wants to be but also just looking at the roadmap and what 2 people could reasonably do its something I would not expect before 2030.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

If CoI went full Anno I think it would supplant Workers and Resources as my desert island/conceptually perfect forever game.

I think that's what it wants to be but also just looking at the roadmap and what 2 people could reasonably do its something I would not expect before 2030.

Yeah I am not expecting many big changes like that based on what I've seen on the roadmap.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good youtuber to learn CoI from? Thanks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

Can anyone recommend a good youtuber to learn CoI from? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cnmzq5wcI8

Edit: Long rear end vids tho so if you're looking for short tutorials I don't have an answer sorry

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cnmzq5wcI8

Edit: Long rear end vids tho so if you're looking for short tutorials I don't have an answer sorry

That's fine thanks much! Prolly spend most of tomorrow watching their videos. Today is for board gaming :)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Nilaus is the opposite of Orbital Potato in that he is good at tutorializing and pays attention to ratio and making making everything look orderly and make sense whereas OP is also good but is more slapdash and embraces the spaghetti.

Edit: I like watching both to get two very different but working views on how to basebuild.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Those of you who loved Shipbreaker, were you playing with controllers or keyboard/mouse? I got very frustrated with the latter and refunded.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fhqwhgads posted:

Nilaus is the opposite of Orbital Potato in that he is good at tutorializing and pays attention to ratio and making making everything look orderly and make sense whereas OP is also good but is more slapdash and embraces the spaghetti.

Edit: I like watching both to get two very different but working views on how to basebuild.
If I hear “Nilaus tore down a quarter of his factory and rebuilt it because it was one pixel off” my first thought would be “yes, of course he did. No need to mention that.” You’re right about the tutorial part, he is very good at explaining why he does what he does.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those of you who loved Shipbreaker, were you playing with controllers or keyboard/mouse? I got very frustrated with the latter and refunded.

KB & Mouse. Worked fine for me though you have to get used to the inertia and pointer drift when aiming but IMO it makes sense in the context of the game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

JD also does videos on CoI
tutorial playlist
Let's play

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

KB+M, although I was still occasionally mixing up 'up' and 'forward' even on the last ship I cracked.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My biggest problem was losing my orientation occasionally, but that got better the more I played. The movement controls are pretty standard 6dof controls, except maybe the control key to brake.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I did it.

So how do prioritization work for burners hooked up to the same line? Can I put the fuel gas/heavy oil burners on priority 1 and the coal ones on priority 2 and will that make the coal burners kick in automatically when they notice a drop in steam?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Priorities are for power (usage or supply) and truck deliveries only.

To get preferential use of different fuel sources with pipes you need to use pipe balancers which let you select priority lines in and out. Ex. your coal steam header goes into bottom right balancer, your oil products steam header goes into top left balancer, you set priority on top left, and all steam comes out the top right. It'll use steam from the top left unless it can't at which point it'll pull from the bottom right causing preferential use.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Loving that priorization GUI.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah it is great. It just needs the ability to rank each one based on priority instead of just 'high priority or not' and it'd be perfect

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

zedprime posted:

Priorities are for power (usage or supply) and truck deliveries only.

To get preferential use of different fuel sources with pipes you need to use pipe balancers which let you select priority lines in and out. Ex. your coal steam header goes into bottom right balancer, your oil products steam header goes into top left balancer, you set priority on top left, and all steam comes out the top right. It'll use steam from the top left unless it can't at which point it'll pull from the bottom right causing preferential use.

That image makes my brain light up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If I hear “Nilaus tore down a quarter of his factory and rebuilt it because it was one pixel off” my first thought would be “yes, of course he did. No need to mention that.”
My name's not Nilaus and I can't believe you'd attack me like this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just simply make all the pixels off and they will line back up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By the way the devs are already working on a way to label the pipes somehow. That’ll be helpful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

By the way the devs are already working on a way to label the pipes somehow. That’ll be helpful.

Oh thank god. I keep having to plug new things into my distillery setup and just spent a ton of time figuring out what pipe was sending Naphta into my fuel lines.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

explosivo posted:

Oh thank god. I keep having to plug new things into my distillery setup and just spent a ton of time figuring out what pipe was sending Naphta into my fuel lines.

I inadvertently sent naptha into my fuel gas pipes and spent a good 10 minutes trying to unclog that mess.

Current problem is that my workers are all getting sick and taking time off work and my island is dying due to healthcare benefits.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grimson posted:

I inadvertently sent naptha into my fuel gas pipes and spent a good 10 minutes trying to unclog that mess.

Current problem is that my workers are all getting sick and taking time off work and my island is dying due to healthcare benefits.

Yeah Health is rapidly becoming an issue on my island as well. I just unlocked the Clinic so bringing Plastic online to start making Medical Supplies has been a priority for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
There's something poetic about the factory causing people to die and the only way to help them is to expand the factory.