Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s almost as if media shouldn’t be one-to-one compared to other, shittier media and should be judged on its own merits.

Going “but this is what other shows have done” is really dumb. Just… watch the show and don’t assume it’s going to pull from that same well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Sometimes I think about media literacy being good but then I remember that means a combination of reading TVtropes for fiction and the new York times according to a majority of obnoxious English teachers, librarians, and other PMC nerds

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

tokin opposition posted:

Sometimes I think about media literacy being good but then I remember that means a combination of reading TVtropes for fiction and the new York times according to a majority of obnoxious English teachers, librarians, and other PMC nerds

tv shows do often go off the rails, though. it's hard to 100% predict where anything is going regardless of how well you can read the writing, because sometimes writers just decide to veer left into something that wasn't set up, or contradicts things, or is in bad taste, etc.

i don't see a homelander redemption coming though. in s1 there were brief moments of childlike emotions to go along with his terrible personality, but he's actively chosen to become more malignant at every new development in his life. people often only change for the better because they're forced to by getting checked by the world. homelander doesn't have that restriction so he can always choose violence and coercion, and it always works.

there's only really space for him to move emotionally towards defeat, and that will only come via humbling by either losing his powers or finally encountering someone who can kill him.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It would be kind of hilarious if there was a side plot with vought trying to have a safe, corporate, redemption plotline by introducing a villain for Homelander to save the world from. Only for him to show up on camera and pulp the guy who can't even fight back (and was probably just an actor in a costume) horrifying everyone even harder.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Durzel posted:

Homelander ending up being a good guy or even much of a sympathetic character doesn’t really work imo when he’s basically invulnerable, it destroys the central tension of the show.

It would be kinda funny to see him get totally depowered and stuck into gen pop in prison.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

TIP posted:

It would be kinda funny to see him get totally depowered and stuck into gen pop in prison.

I can almost see a situation where he either (temporarily) loses his powers in a fight against soldier boy or he tries to laser Butcher juiced up on V but can't kill him, and for the first time in his life he's truly scared into sitting down and "negotiating" a truce. I don't think this would do much to humble him in the next season, instead I think it would make him even worse.

Also, I noticed that Kimiko only has one scene left in the trailers that hasn't been in the show yet, her little dance scene with Frenchie in what looks like a hospital. Man she better not be dead.

e: I'm still hoping Timothy's prayers are answered by Cthulhu

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rooting for Homelander to win and just become earths godking tbh

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gently caress the writers if Kimiko dies without ever speaking a word out loud. Fantasy sequences don't count.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Seems weird to suddenly make her no longer mute? Why would she suddenly start talking

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe she just didn't have anything to say

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

At that time two prostitutes came to King Homelander and stood before him.

One woman said, “Please, my lord, this woman and I live in the same house, and I gave birth while she was in the house. On the third day after I gave birth, this woman also had a baby. We were alone, with no one in the house but the two of us. During the night this woman’s son died because she rolled over on him. So she got up in the middle of the night and took my son from my side while I was asleep. She laid him in her bosom and put her dead son at my bosom. The next morning, when I got up to nurse my son, I discovered he was dead. But when I examined him, I realized that he was not the son I had borne.”

“No,” said the other woman, “the living one is my son and the dead one is your son.”

But the first woman insisted, “No, the dead one is yours and the living one is mine.” So they argued before the king.

Then King Homelander replied, “lmao,” and lasered the baby in half.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sab669 posted:

Seems weird to suddenly make her no longer mute? Why would she suddenly start talking

I thought the show has been building up to it. She wants to speak.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought the show has been building up to it. She wants to speak.

I was kinda hoping it'd happen after she got shot in the head, like a hard reset as the "damage" was healed. Maybe she needs some damage to the throat or some other part of her noggin.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there some scene I'm not remembering where she was able to speak before? Maybe before her brother died or something?

If that's the case then I suppose, but if I'm right that she was never able to talk then it seems dumb to suddenly make her able to :shrug:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She speaks but it’s James Earl Jones dubbed over as her voice. Nobody in-universe ever mentions it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Her last words to frenchie “awh hee awh hee awh!”

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sab669 posted:

Is there some scene I'm not remembering where she was able to speak before? Maybe before her brother died or something?

If that's the case then I suppose, but if I'm right that she was never able to talk then it seems dumb to suddenly make her able to :shrug:

a character who doesn't speak due to extreme trauma and then eventually says something is a pretty standard trope

also, comic spoilers, she says one line in the comics, "I hate mean people"

I don't really care one way or the other though

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
"I'm gay" - kimiko

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She’s not mute from damage to her esophagus, she’s mute because of the trauma of being a slave and the victim of human trafficking and child abuse

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

edit: eh, forget it. thread's been a mess already and i'm just poking at stuff not worth talking about.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 13, 2022

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I figured they gave her the singing dream scene because the actress was like “bro this is really unfair”

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Comics frenchie and kimiko were the funny weirdos of the group,there was no romanticism between them,and the age difference helped as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sab669 posted:

It's due to severe trauma from the kidnapping, parents murdered, forced into child soldiering and whatnot. She says she and her brother made up a sign language to cope with it or something because she couldn't speak anymore.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

Kenji told Frenchie that Kimiko used to be able to speak but after she saw her parents get murdered the psychological trauma rendered her mute

She'll probably eventually speak in the show

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

It would be kind of hilarious if there was a side plot with vought trying to have a safe, corporate, redemption plotline by introducing a villain for Homelander to save the world from. Only for him to show up on camera and pulp the guy who can't even fight back (and was probably just an actor in a costume) horrifying everyone even harder.

It's the US doing this would make him more popular than Jesus.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would also be cool just for representation’s sake to have a character that never spoke IRL and was still beloved and important to the plot anyway

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bust Rodd posted:

It would also be cool just for representation’s sake to have a character that never spoke IRL and was still beloved and important to the plot anyway

Honestly I agree. That said, I'd totally be onboard with a Men in Tights style fakeout.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bust Rodd posted:

It would be cool if it wasn't a quiet Asian woman. We got a lot of those in media and it's tiring. Though I think they are doing a better job giving her more of a personality that communicates more this season.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

drat i wish this thread had more aphasic representation

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

As Nero Danced posted:

Honestly I agree. That said, I'd totally be onboard with a Men in Tights style fakeout.

The dream sequences and dance # mean they can have their cake and eat it to

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dongicus posted:

drat i wish this thread had more aphasic representation

The silent majority of lurkers

Who all agree w/me btw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, Kimiko is coping with her disability. I mean, her life sucks poo poo, but it doesn't really have anything to do with being mute. It's a hack trope to just magically have it fixed.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
If we get Homelander de-powered for a stretch of time, I kinda have to think that's when the Flight 37 video gets made public. He'd be robbed of all power, physical and social and could push him to do desperate things like humble himself to and seek help from Edgar.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a superpower that nullifies other superpowers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Kimiko is coping with her disability. I mean, her life sucks poo poo, but it doesn't really have anything to do with being mute. It's a hack trope to just magically have it fixed.

Yeah, I'd hate this. More disability representation rules. Fixing people of their disabilities so they can have a happy ending or whatever sucks.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

withak posted:

Is there a superpower that nullifies other superpowers?

seems like soldier boy has it?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The hamster emits a powerful anti-super power field. Doesn't affect temp V because the Russians didn't know about it yet. It's super obvious.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

I think the kind of muteness kimiko has is extremely rare in adults in real life, as in, not due to deafness or any kind of physical issue, but purely a reaction to some experience, and when it does occur it isn't necessarily all the time, or long-lasting, the way it often gets portrayed in fiction. I think it's lazier to just have it be a fact nobody examines, because it's not a disability in the same way being physically deaf or blind is, it's a mental block. She could just start speaking again, doesn't even need an explicit fix. Pick a dramatic moment.

I might be wrong about how muteism works (let me know), but I don't think this is a situation where the writers deserve props for disability representation. I think she's mute because the original comic was written by an edgelord who wanted a token girl in the team but who was childlike and silent, and japanese for even more nerd points. I mean she's called 'the female'. The show has softened it a bit by giving her a name and probably more attention than she got in the comics which I haven't read, but the dna of the character is really not good.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know anything about mutism either, but the obvious, comic-booky thing to do is have her be able to talk while her powers are on the fritz for an episode, and when she gets her healing back, back to the status quo we go!