Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just put an 8x9 ft rug and a baby seat in my M4 at the same time. Everyone saying they need an SUV because they have a family of 3 is full of poo poo.

Sportbacks are cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
everything is like an X6 now :barf:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

I just put an 8x9 ft rug and a baby seat in my M4 at the same time. Everyone saying they need an SUV because they have a family of 3 is full of poo poo.

Sportbacks are cool though.

BMW smart and gives the people what they need - folding rear seats.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm always surprised how often I read on car forums people taking about hanging out with their car salesman because they became friends after buying the car (like going over to their house for BBQs, etc) or people tipping their service advisor $50 - $100 every time they go in for service, or dropping off doughnuts on Saturdays to the service department "to make sure they get good service".

Please remember to tip your landlord

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

oops. Wrong thread.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

And there's virtually no penalty to driving something big in the US. For example, in Rome, you will hate life if you drive anything bigger than a Golf. In New York, the least friendly city to big vehicles in America, you'd still be comfortable owning an X5.

I used to drive a Ford Transit in Catania. Never got it stuck, but came close on streets we had no business trying to go down.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser_Soze posted:

everything is like an X6 now :barf:

You mean Accord CrossTour the OG

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Did you think it was a small hatchback or something? Because of course a crossover/mid size SUV is the same size as another crossover/mid size SUV and of course it dwarfs a tiny E30. So does the F80 M3 on the other side of it!
Yeah comparing anything modern to an E30 is going to make it look humongous. The E30 is from tiny car era, which ended a hell of a long time ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I guess when I think sportback I think Audi A7 or something

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Rusty posted:

When I saw it in person, it looked so bloated, the cool retro look was kind of a let down. People like large cars though but it certainly is not the hatch it looks like in photos. I posted this before, but this gives a better perspective versus my hatch.

It's the new New Beetle

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

carry on then posted:

Counterpoint: it's good

All of the ugly with none of the practicality. Where exactly are sportsbacks actually good?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Any hatch gives more practicality than a sedan - no matter how large the boot on a sedan is you're still constrained by the size of the opening.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

All of the ugly with none of the practicality. Where exactly are sportsbacks actually good?

I was able to fit a poo poo ton in the back of the Stinger and it looked awesome so I don't know what to tell you.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They are good because the only thing that people hate more than a sedan, is a hatch back (in the US). So if someone buys one because it looks like a sedan but has a little more practicality, it’s good.

Also the first gen A7 is one of the most beautiful cars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:wrong:

The whole point is that they look more like a sedan. Some specific ones are ugly (looking at you, BMW, Tesla) but in general it's a cool and good idea. Not "recently normalized" either, smart people figured this poo poo out in the 80s

Look at this big dumb butt here.

And now check out the cool spaceship greenhosue

and you can still fit a fridge there if you need to

all without looking like a stupid hearse

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Additional good for sports back: you can actually buy one (US problem).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If you are going to commit to it sorta like your Scorpio there, why not just go the full way and wagon-up the entire car? You've already eliminated the one advantage a sedan has with not sharing the cargo area with the passenger compartment. I can't argue against "looking like a stupid hearse" because I straight up don't think that's true at all as a wagon or estate is the most ideal form of car there is.
It's a sedan, but better. Always.

Doing it on SUVs or CUVs is a bit silly because the argument for those types of vehicles are usually rooted in some sort of practical matter, sitting high, easier to get in or out of, safety, ground clearance, etc. Then you kam off the back for style eliminating usable space for ~style~.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

If you are going to commit to it sorta like your Scorpio there, why not just go the full way and wagon-up the entire car? You've already eliminated the one advantage a sedan has with not sharing the cargo area with the passenger compartment. I can't argue against "looking like a stupid hearse" because I straight up don't think that's true at all as a wagon or estate is the most ideal form of car there is.

Doing it on SUVs or CUVs is a bit silly because the argument for those types of vehicles are usually rooted in some sort of practical matter, sitting high, easier to get in or out of, safety, ground clearance, etc. Then you kam off the back for style eliminating usable space for ~style~.

Meh. I guess if you have dogs, otherwise the liftback has plenty of space.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 12, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Russian Bear posted:

They are good because the only thing that people hate more than a sedan, is a hatch back (in the US). So if someone buys one because it looks like a sedan but has a little more practicality, it’s good.

So if you start calling the bmw x whatever the gently caress a, and Mercedes whatever hatchbacks, do you think the owners will get mad?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

A liftback is better than a sedan and a wagon is better than a liftback. It's a spectrum. And while style is subjective (5 series GT looks dumb, X6 looks actually OK, A5/A7 looks awesome), people still choose style over practicality all the time.

Also allow me to present the Daihatsu Applause; looks like a sedan, is a lift/hatchback!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

A liftback is better than a sedan and a wagon is better than a liftback. It's a spectrum. And while style is subjective (5 series GT looks dumb, X6 looks actually OK, A5/A7 looks awesome), people still choose style over practicality all the time.

Also allow me to present the Daihatsu Applause; looks like a sedan, is a lift/hatchback!

Misread model name as ‘Applesauce’.

Disappointed when realized mistake

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I saw it as "Appliance".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

:same:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

Any hatch gives more practicality than a sedan - no matter how large the boot on a sedan is you're still constrained by the size of the opening.

I see you have never used the boot on a Lincoln town car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aston Martin made a sportback and it looked great and I defy anyone to argue that it would have been better as a station wagon.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

All the wagons left have pretty raked rearmost pillars nowadays that also compromise cargo space.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

:wrong:

The whole point is that they look more like a sedan. Some specific ones are ugly (looking at you, BMW, Tesla) but in general it's a cool and good idea. Not "recently normalized" either, smart people figured this poo poo out in the 80s

All liftbacks are are a half rear end compromise because the majority of buyers who a wagon would actually be the appropriate are too drat stupid to realize wagons are actually good. And now that "liftback" BS is infecting vehicles that should be boxy like SUV's and CUV's turning them into again half assed compromised wastes.

quote:

I was able to fit a poo poo ton in the back of the Stinger and it looked awesome so I don't know what to tell you.

The Stinger is one of the cars I looked at when looking at replacing my Liberty. The cargo space there inst comparable, the reality is it's barely better than a sedan so... why bother?

quote:

All the wagons left have pretty raked rearmost pillars nowadays that also compromise cargo space.

No they dont. Subaru for instance got that poo poo worked out, all their wagonish style vehicles might look raked but there's actually a big rear end box still there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

a wagon or estate is the most ideal form of car there is.

:hmmyes:

Someone up-thread mentioned the A7 which is fine but Audi's only genuinely cool looking car is that ridiculous estate these days.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elephanthead posted:

I see you have never used the boot on a Lincoln town car

No, but large as it may be it doesn't look like a particularly usable space to me

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

No, but large as it may be it doesn't look like a particularly usable space to me

Looks like you can fit a tied up goombah in there, which is what you need from a Town Car surely?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Looks like you can fit a tied up goombah in there, which is what you need from a Town Car surely?

I always thought that’s why you buy a Town Car. :confused:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I liked my Datsun A10 liftback even if was heresy to call it a 510. :colbert:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

dissss posted:

You can get around that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does anyone have a preferred tool for searching new car listings across many dealers? It's hard as hell just to see what is even in stock at this point. I want to be able to check out some cars physically, but nobody even keeps models on the lot anymore for people to peek at. Specifically, I haven't seen a Kia Carnival or baser Sienna around.

Koirhor posted:

The sales people had a good laugh when I inquired about finding a Sport Hatchback w/manual in Boost Blue

Is this because Honda won't do orders? This is crazy to me, Honda doesn't even have a bunch of individual options you can choose from, that's a pretty simple build and if you're willing to wait for it and pay sticker you should be able to get it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just look at all the online listing sites. AutoTrader, Cars.com, CarGurus etc.

Pick your make & model, set your Distance as far as you're willing to drive and sort by price.

Don't know of any site that aggregates all those listings, but that'd be cool if there's something like that

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
https://www.autotempest.com

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well look at that

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Stinger is one of the cars I looked at when looking at replacing my Liberty. The cargo space there inst comparable, the reality is it's barely better than a sedan so... why bother?

Look at this wrong poo poo. I throw six foot tall, 3 foot wide bookcases in my Stinger. Try doing that with a trunk. Just hauling all my gear for work is so much easier getting in and out of a huge opening instead of a trunk lid, which I know because I hauled all that same gear in cars with trunks for 19 years before I got the Stinger. But I'd have certainly bought it just the same if it had been a wagon.

Also saw my first EV6 on the road yesterday and the rear is as unappealing as I thought from photos, but it'll just be my wife's commuter/family car if we end up with one so I'm not concerned.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bro I stuck a fuckin piano in the trunk of my Corolla and it weren't no thang just fold down the back seats and the passenger seat.

I was banging out Fur Elise and some sick Ray Charles tunes at stop lights.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm always surprised how often I read on car forums people taking about hanging out with their car salesman because they became friends after buying the car (like going over to their house for BBQs, etc) or people tipping their service advisor $50 - $100 every time they go in for service, or dropping off doughnuts on Saturdays to the service department "to make sure they get good service".
I don't do that, but when I take one of my old-rear end hoopties somewhere for a service I can't do myself I leave a box of donuts and a cooler full of cold drinks in the passenger seat with a note. It is the least I can do for whoever gets the misfortune of dealing with my ancient iron.

Also, clean your car (including the trunk/boot/hatch) before you have someone else work on it. If for no other reason than it demonstrates that you care about the condition of your vehicle and the technician should too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

It isn't even that fuel efficient considering it's getting us 24 mpg where the already mentioned old diesel trucks will do 18 mpg easy.

Did you get a T6 and/or AWD? I feel like the T5/FWD gets pretty close to or at its EPA mileage but the others don't get anywhere close in the real world.