Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

still watching trades go through here

yeah back now, wasn't reachable for a few minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
how's that bitcoin inflation hedge going for microstrategy, tesla et al? well...

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/currencies/tesla-microstrategy-bitcoin-losses-1-billion-crypto-bet-2022-6

businessinsider posted:

1. Block

Bitcoin Owned: 8,027
Average Cost: $27,407
Estimated Unrealized Losses: $42.6 million

2. Tesla

Estimated Bitcoin Owned: 42,000
Average Cost: $31,620
Estimated Unrealized Losses: $399.8 million

3. MicroStrategy

Bitcoin Owned: 129,219
Average Cost: $30,700
Estimated Unrealized Losses: $1.1 billion

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

come on, invisible hand. I believe in you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

knox_harrington posted:

An invisible hand is just a diamond hand under water.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

the numbers lose something without the :shrug: file photos

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

decentralization means I can do what I want, when I want, where I want, to whom I want, with zero consequences

wait why won't anyone pay me to do this any more

the thing is, they will though?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
A lotta yall still dont get it. Bag holders can use multiple rug pulls on a single Ponzi. So if you have 1 fallen Ponzi and 3 rug pulls you can create 3 new Ponzis.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Bill gates I’m sorry but u totally neglected too see how blockchain technology can be used to combat climate change. Crypto brings communities together under a single minded purpose and it’s powerful. The greatest use of blockchain technology is using it to saveplanetearth. I would highly recommend you checkout saveplanetearth.io and see how there using carbon credits on blockchain technology with there own exchange and carbon credits system. It will be the unity of the ppl that can save planet earth 🌍 not by 1 person.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

trucutru posted:

https://twitter.com/itstimconnors/status/1536798911179870209

That this dude finds the time to shill his own product is also worth a chuckle

(Perhaps if they had my educational tool that teaches people that being greedy untrustworthy assholes is bad would have made a difference!)

The most important bit of knowledge was freely available, they just needed to read this thread's title

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

trucutru posted:

This thing updates 100x times faster than the maximum thoughtput of either ETH or BTC. I wonder what kind of magic do they use to have such a speedy blockchain.

i'm pretty sure (but not certain) that's just the spot price if you're using coinbase pro. if you look at the price on regular rear end coinbase it's different

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i think it was divabot(?) but someone had a pretty good analysis of the banking poo poo behind the scenes. there's only one actual bank in the US most of these crypto exchanges are using and they have their own internal protocol for swapping "assets" between each other. sounds extremely decentralized to me

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

A lotta yall still dont get it. Bag holders can use multiple rug pulls on a single Ponzi. So if you have 1 fallen Ponzi and 3 rug pulls you can create 3 new Ponzis.

in theory if you have infinite rug pulls under your feet, you’ll be constantly juggled into the air and will never hit the ground. bitcoin works the same way!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm sure the fact that markets never close is doing wonders for these folks mental health

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

too much bitcoin was generated and now it's undergoing gravitational collapse into a cryptosingularity

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

I'm sure the fact that markets never close is doing wonders for these folks mental health

oh they're definitely gambling addicts

i had lunch with a horrible crypto bro recently because his wife is friends with my wife and he told me not to tell her about the $650k loss he's taken on bitcoin, in addition to like $250k on online poker.

this is the same guy who does logistics for a grain importer or some poo poo. when i asked him if he felt bad that a lot of people are gonna starve he kinda shrugged and was like "well it's making us a ton of money"

so natch the first thing i did was ask his wife how she feels about all of this.

e: her response was something like "well as long as bitcoin stays above $25k we won't lose much more"

welp

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 15, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

knox_harrington posted:

*the invisible hand makes an obscene gesture, invisibly*

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i had lunch with a horrible crypto bro recently because his wife is friends with my wife and he told me not to tell her about the $650k loss he's taken on bitcoin, in addition to like $250k on online poker.

this is the same guy who does logistics for a grain importer or some poo poo. when i asked him if he felt bad that a lot of people are gonna starve he kinda shrugged and was like "well it's making us a ton of money"

so natch the first thing i did was ask his wife how she feels about all of this

I was talking with someone who works in finance and explaining why Elon Musk is a complete loving moron and while he agreed with me, "he's made some people a lot of money" and that is really all that matters to these people.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

so natch the first thing i did was ask his wife how she feels about all of this.

e: her response was something like "well as long as bitcoin stays above $25k we won't lose much more"

welp

how much money does this fucker have if he can afford a million dollars in losses without being homeless

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I was talking with someone who works in finance and explaining why Elon Musk is a complete loving moron and while he agreed with me, "he's made some people a lot of money" and that is really all that matters to these people.

yeah he's going to move to seattle this week to work for amazon. when i asked him if that meant he's going to have to just move back east to VA in a few years, he had no idea what i was talking about and then dismissed it as seattle being "the real hq" after an explainer

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

how much money does this fucker have if he can afford a million dollars in losses without being homeless

they're both bougie as hell and both of their parents are high-up execs. so, too much, apparently

and yes, they made us split the bill even though it was 90% beer pitchers. i had literally one shot and my wife doesn't drink

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

they're both bougie as hell and both of their parents are high-up execs. so, too much, apparently

and yes, they made us split the bill even though it was 90% beer pitchers. i had literally one shot and my wife doesn't drink

your wife needs better taste in friends, friend

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah he's going to move to seattle this week to work for amazon. when i asked him if that meant he's going to have to just move back east to VA in a few years, he had no idea what i was talking about and then dismissed it as seattle being "the real hq" after an explainer

people who grew up broke and now have money are the most generous. people who grew up with money and now have more of it are the cheapest

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

your wife needs better taste in friends, friend

agreed, she didn't know about most of this though

nor did the dude's wife apparently, and she isn't going to immediately join him in seattle now lol i wonder why

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

divorcecoin futures looking promising

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

qirex posted:

divorcecoin futures looking promising

get bag

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm not sure how the existence of grain logistics implies people starving tbh, what a weird and hostile way to make conversation

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah that's a weird thing to say, unless the dude's crypto poo poo ties into his work and stops the grain from being logistic'd

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gazpacho posted:

i'm not sure how the existence of grain logistics implies people starving tbh, what a weird and hostile way to make conversation

*gestures wildly to grain shortages and resultant price increase*

e: to actually answer tbh it wasn't so much of a straight line from there to "you bad", more like i was asking him about what he does and got more horrified by each response

it's worth noting we hadn't met the guy before that so i just had a vague idea of what he does

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 15, 2022

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
crossing my fingers that the fed announcement makes the market puke and we see 19k today :getin:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

divabot posted:

amy and i scribbled a quick guide to the crypto crash last night, and called Three Arrows Capital four hours before it went penis

quote:

Mt. Gox — at some point, likely in 2022, the 140,000 bitcoins that remained in the Mt. Gox crypto exchange when it failed in 2014 are going to be distributed to creditors. Those bitcoins are going to hit the market immediately, bringing down the price of bitcoin even further.

Imagining the blessed future where the timing is perfect and Mt. Gox brings an end to what it began

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can I still buy Magic: The Gathering Online cards on MTGOX?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Can I still buy Magic: The Gathering Online cards on MTGOX?

you never could

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1537098897004408834

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1537100550126313472

...not a cult!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I found it, the worst NFT

https://twitter.com/HomelessFrenNFT/status/1536941122018156544

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:d2a:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i expect to see this little nugget from celsius's terms of service quoted a lot in court filings imminently

"Our Earn Service allows you to earn a financing fee from Celsius, referred to as “Rewards,” in the form of Digital Assets (either in-kind, i.e., in the same Digital Asset you transfer, or in CEL Tokens, where permitted) in exchange for entering into open-ended loans of your Eligible Digital Assets to Celsius under the terms hereof. If our Earn Service is available to you, upon your election, you will lend your Eligible Digital Assets to Celsius and grant Celsius all rights and title to such Digital Assets, for Celsius to use in its sole discretion while using the Earn Service."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

@elonmusk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chris Knight posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

pretty bad, still better than that child slave one which was a bunch of procedurally generated children faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

pretty bad, still better than that child slave one which was a bunch of procedurally generated children faces

What in the gently caress???