Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's just a transition page of whatever's happening wih Kaianda. I wouldn't say this is nothing happening? We are just used to making GBS threads on mookie for his terrible pacing elsewhere but this isn't spinning his wheels like the dumb flight chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I can understand that position, but personally, I disagree. In the last update, some red vines came out of her head. In this update, red vines are still coming out of her head.

Plus, this problem was cured when El Seed exorcised her, so this is repetition/backpedaling. Perhaps she'll suggest Snout seek Luna by spelling it out with the vines in cursive.

It is very funny that Mookie immediately got bored with suddenly putting a ton of detail into her feet and went back to a toeless Cinderella-like lump and is trying to be clever by covering them up with these vines.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
2 panels.

2 panels?

I'm very new to the mookie train

but 2 panels?! in Black and White?! Of untextured rope?!?!

I'm sorry, unaliased untextured rope.

and he still managed to gently caress up the perspective of the hatching on the door frame, it should match the angle of the corner.

there's a tangent line leading directly into her rear end in a top hat.

The bed isn't deformed at all.

You use cross hatching to convey form in a way shadows can't, what is happening to her thigh?

I might be being too critical, I am definitely not pablo picasso.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 15, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's terrible pacing because no new information is being conveyed. We're seeing the exact same thing that happened in Monday's comic, "vines (?) are coming out of Kaianda's head."

Now here's the thing: could a good comic artist do something like this, where no new information is conveyed, but it's still good and interesting? Yes! A good comic artist could show it from different angles. It could show the pain and agony in her face as this happens to her. It could show the horror that Snout feels as he's watching this happen to his friend. It could set a mood, and do interesting things with the lighting, the way the vines are moving.

Since Mookie is not a good comic artist Snout is still just standing there with his mouth slightly agape like an idiot and Kaianda is completely motionless and everything looks the loving same. It's a worthless, pointless update.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
He really can only draw one expression on Snout, just 8V

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Plus, this problem was cured when El Seed exorcised her, so this is repetition/backpedaling. Perhaps she'll suggest Snout seek Luna by spelling it out with the vines in cursive.
Nah. I mean this is poo poo, but in that text dump that hurt Snout's feelings last time they were at Arudak's tower, Mr Snooty Orc (whose name I no longer remember) explicitly says that she's still a "dangerous aberration" or whatever and that that she could destroy all of Maltak at any moment. That's after Mr Flower Head did his thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat that is one firm mattress

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

I can understand that position, but personally, I disagree. In the last update, some red vines came out of her head. In this update, red vines are still coming out of her head.

It is very funny that Mookie immediately got bored with suddenly putting a ton of detail into her feet and went back to a toeless Cinderella-like lump and is trying to be clever by covering them up with these vines.

Except I don't like the artist's work either.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It's really funny that Snout looks like he's thinking "whoaaa weird... so anyway I had this dream and!"

Just couldn't give less of a poo poo lol

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Boba Pearl posted:

2 panels.

2 panels?

I'm very new to the mookie train

imagine that instead of studying techniques, experimenting and getting feedback for your comic, you patted yourself on keeping a consistent update schedule

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I want to imagine having that kind of self esteem, it must be liberating to just... Do loving nothing and then praise yourself for it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I want to imagine having that kind of self esteem, it must be liberating to just... Do loving nothing and then praise yourself for it.

lol that this applies to both Mookie and Snout

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well one is just the self-insert of the other.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's entering that room just like that one panel from Loss

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Codependent Poster posted:

He's entering that room just like that one panel from Loss

Oh poo poo!

Also, I'm sorry Pearl. This must be... Very upsetting, seeing the work you've been doing over at the PYF comic thread.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel like the release schedule hurts the comic a lot. Doing a page at a time doesn't really make a ton of sense to the reader, since often times action takes more than one page to complete. It also makes the pacing feel much more laborious because we only ever see these small incremental updates. It also hurts his writing, since each page of continuing the story but also trying to be a whole entity, so it encourages him to have characters floating around doing nothing without any clear direction. And when the reveal finally comes, you get so little after waiting so long, it can only ever disappoint.

Imagine if every episode of Dragon Ball Z was one minute long.

Now you've imagined Dominic Deegan Legacy.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Samovar posted:

Oh poo poo!

Also, I'm sorry Pearl. This must be... Very upsetting, seeing the work you've been doing over at the PYF comic thread.

Not really, I'd rather make something I love, and execute it to the best of my ability, then try to pad out a story as long as possible so I can keep getting patreon cash. People joke that I despondently killed Marie, but it's not that, I realized that I didn't want to finish something when I could make the slime fucker comic with the Undertale OC and it'd be better because I love it. Plus, I got 4k views this week on the website, for a web comic artist that's massively successful I hit 300k Unique Hits this week (that means that when you add up how many people visited a day, every day, even if it's the same person,) that there was 300k. Which sounds like a lot, but it's not as much as it seems, but still succesful.

and sure, I'll occasionally get called the next Chris Chan, or I'll get a death threat or trans slurs sentto the business email I set up for ads, but like, 4,000 people were interested in what I create, how could anything anyone do compete with the satisfaction that gives me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Not really, I'd rather make something I love, and execute it to the best of my ability, then try to pad out a story as long as possible so I can keep getting patreon cash. People joke that I despondently killed Marie, but it's not that, I realized that I didn't want to finish something when I could make the slime fucker comic with the Undertale OC and it'd be better because I love it. Plus, I got 4k views this week on the website, for a web comic artist that's massively successful I hit 300k Unique Hits this week (that means that when you add up how many people visited a day, every day, even if it's the same person,) that there was 300k. Which sounds like a lot, but it's not as much as it seems, but still succesful.

and sure, I'll occasionally get called the next Chris Chan, or I'll get a death threat or trans slurs sentto the business email I set up for ads, but like, 4,000 people were interested in what I create, how could anything anyone do compete with the satisfaction that gives me.

congrats!

on the good stuff, not the hate stuff

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gotta make sure her butt is in the shot of course.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

SubG posted:

Nah. I mean this is poo poo, but in that text dump that hurt Snout's feelings last time they were at Arudak's tower, Mr Snooty Orc (whose name I no longer remember) explicitly says that she's still a "dangerous aberration" or whatever and that that she could destroy all of Maltak at any moment. That's after Mr Flower Head did his thing.

Oh, my bad. I thought double beard orc said that before Kaianda ate the seed and stopped being feral.

I assume on Friday, he'll hold up the symbol for "endings" and she'll stop immediately.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, my bad. I thought double beard orc said that before Kaianda ate the seed and stopped being feral.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to forget because everyone acts like it was the other way. Like the big ~*plot development*~ was that Mr Flower Face makes her cough up...whatever...and that means, hurray, now she can speak and everyone can understand her...but also because she's...mumble mumble something about vine clones...because of that she could still...something? we're not entirely sure what, but it's apparently apocalyptic. So one of Snout's best friends a) can now make herself understood for the first time, and b) may explode at any moment killing everything on the continent.

And NOBODY loving TALKS ABOUT ANY OF THIS ever again. Best friend might spontaneously detonate? Nah, can't waste any time thinking about that, I've got fuckin' plot-critical naps to take.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
They can’t do anything about it because snooty orc was rude to Mookie and helping corpse girl not be a be necromantic time bomb is less important than the soft boy’s feelings.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Even within the context of the comic it wasn't that he was wrong about anything, but simply that he was rude to Snout.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Flowey told him the same poo poo just in a nicer tone.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to forget because everyone acts like it was the other way. Like the big ~*plot development*~ was that Mr Flower Face makes her cough up...whatever...and that means, hurray, now she can speak and everyone can understand her...but also because she's...mumble mumble something about vine clones...because of that she could still...something? we're not entirely sure what, but it's apparently apocalyptic. So one of Snout's best friends a) can now make herself understood for the first time, and b) may explode at any moment killing everything on the continent.

And NOBODY loving TALKS ABOUT ANY OF THIS ever again. Best friend might spontaneously detonate? Nah, can't waste any time thinking about that, I've got fuckin' plot-critical naps to take.

Dominic Deegan: plot-critical naps

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

people on the internet are loving bonkers. i removed my contact details from my comic site thanks to one particularly devoted stalker, and remember that weirdo from a few pages ago who was just copy-pasting all the thread posts to mookie?? some people got problems

congrats on the stats, though!! I think the new comic is looking great, you've really refined your process.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ink magic, like, really sucks.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
What is Snout doing?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Emrikol posted:

What is Snout doing?

His best, and normally I'd say that's enough but for gently caress's sake.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh yeah just draw the cube on her forehead. This magic is loving stupid.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

snout's doing the SEE THE TRUTH pose

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Ink Witch running into the scene to deal with the situation while Snout uselessly looks busy is so on-the-nose.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought the cube was dream magic, not ink magic. Also haha Skrunt doesn't care about his friends.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

I assume on Friday, he'll hold up the symbol for "endings" and she'll stop immediately.

When I read this, I thought it was the stupiest possible way for this to be resolved so of course it would be what happens.

I've never been more disappointed to be right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Apply Acerak's Principle directly to the forehead

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Whew, we almost had a conflict here! Thank goodness for a previously unknown deus ex machina application of symbol magic!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I cannot emphasize enough how stupid the cube symbol is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I guess Dominic Deegan's legacy is that magic got way stupider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Mookie's struggling so hard to come up with an application for ink magic that isn't conjuring aircraft.

Wait, god drat it, I just realized she's got the inkwell again. Why is the person whose magic is all about ink – whose outfit is made of animate ink – the only person actually shown using an inkwell when she needs to write on something? We wondered where everyone else gets their ink, not the person walking around covered in it! You don't need to go out of your way to explain where she gets it! It's the most maddeningly trivial example of Mookie's trademark backwards thinking.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 17, 2022