Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cool thanks, I'll definitely check it out then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Reiska posted:

I mean yeah but also they're literally both piloted by people whose last name is Browning and Lemon Browning is in a lot of ways basically just "What if Excellen but insane and kinda evil" so yeah, it's not exactly the most subtle allusion.

Oh, I'm not denying the reference in any way, I just think it stands for itself with just the weiss part without making the robot names one letter apart. But I get what they're going for, I don't think it's BAD just unnecessary.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool thanks, I'll definitely check it out then

Yeah, especially if you want to have some challenge make sure you're always aiming to get the SR point on each stage (optional objective, having more than a certain % kicks the difficulty up and vice versa) and maybe look up the requirements for the 'true' ending. One of them is having 25 Ace pilots by stage 45 for instance so you can't just mindlessly completely stack kills on one unit as the only free grinding you can do is by deliberately failing and retrying a stage which automatically locks out the SR point etc.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bring him back

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Me with Might Gaine in the VXT trilogy.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Same with any Dancouga, both original and Nova.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I will never say no to Macross 7, if we're making requests.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bring back Daitarn 3, but also include the Gundam Build series so it can crossover with Tryon 3.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

I will never say no to Macross 7, if we're making requests.

7 and Frontier in a game with an official translation would be great.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Bring back Daitarn 3, but also include the Gundam Build series so it can crossover with Tryon 3.

include ajiba 3 too imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUmV5eir_CQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay but hear me out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay but hear me out.

:hmmyes:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

See, I thought of Gekiganger 3 first.

(I also would love seeing a setting where Gekiganger is an in-universe anime inspired by the Getter team. Benkei loves it, Hayato doesn't give a crap, and Ryoma has never been angrier.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I thought of Gekiganger 3 first.

(I also would love seeing a setting where Gekiganger is an in-universe anime inspired by the Getter team. Benkei loves it, Hayato doesn't give a crap, and Ryoma has never been angrier.)

I don't know if I just picked the wrong route split or what, but I was expecting a lot more interplay between them and the Nadesico crew in W.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

chiasaur11 posted:

Add in Gundam 00 for the Celestial Being: The Movie scene.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know if I just picked the wrong route split or what, but I was expecting a lot more interplay between them and the Nadesico crew in W.

It just never happens, it's a big missed opportunity IMO.

I'd love to see that in a game. With a Getter Team that's actually fun, maybe the Devolution cast since we have them around now and Banpresto can maybe finally let the Armageddon cast rest.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Getter team is the ultimate afterthought in W. I've played through the game like 4 times, including a very recent one on the English patch, and I still frequently forget they're even in the game.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Kanos posted:

The Getter team is the ultimate afterthought in W. I've played through the game like 4 times, including a very recent one on the English patch, and I still frequently forget they're even in the game.

Right?? They are some of my main units (because Getter Vision is a game breaker) but even then I barely remember they exist out of battle.
I think there was this one significant comment where they made fun of Ryoma being a heartbreaker in high school and that's it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay but hear me out.

Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for Outlaw Star to finally show up. Ever since they put in Cowboy Bebop, it's obvious that their non-robot series doesn't need to be a battleship. I think the main challenge is figuring out a way to really show off the cast's on-foot abilities through gameplay, since most of the action takes place there. Like, with Cowboy Bebop, one of their finishers is just "blow them up with the anime opening", while Harlock has the "drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword" attack. I imagine they'd want a finisher using the #4 or #9 caster shell, but the space battles and the foot battles just don't cross over much.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for Outlaw Star to finally show up. Ever since they put in Cowboy Bebop, it's obvious that their non-robot series doesn't need to be a battleship. I think the main challenge is figuring out a way to really show off the cast's on-foot abilities through gameplay, since most of the action takes place there. Like, with Cowboy Bebop, one of their finishers is just "blow them up with the anime opening", while Harlock has the "drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword" attack. I imagine they'd want a finisher using the #4 or #9 caster shell, but the space battles and the foot battles just don't cross over much.

Just have Gene blast a dude Chirico style

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Just have Gene blast a dude Chirico style

Grappler ships don't have the sort of cockpit setup an Armored Trooper does, so it would be hard for him to get out to do it, and I'd imagine that's the main problem Banpresto will need to solve, since that's probably the correct way to go.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

EclecticTastes posted:

Grappler ships don't have the sort of cockpit setup an Armored Trooper does, so it would be hard for him to get out to do it, and I'd imagine that's the main problem Banpresto will need to solve, since that's probably the correct way to go.

He can just roll down the window.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey fellas, wanted to ask, what characters gets special dialogue in the IBO recruitment missions?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how the hell do I favorite and unfavorite units/pilots?

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

how the hell do I favorite and unfavorite units/pilots?

Square button or equivalent (Y on Switch controller, X on Xbox controller, etc.)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Reiska posted:

Square button or equivalent (Y on Switch controller, X on Xbox controller, etc.)
i’m not a console casual, so it was the “1” key

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i’m not a console casual, so it was the “1” key

tf i don't know how to tell you this but the game series has been designed and played primarily on consoles for 30 years and the pc version is just a port.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Though it does translate remarkably well to mouse and keyboard controls. That's what I've been using, despite usually using a gamepad whenever I can

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kitfox88 posted:

tf i don't know how to tell you this but the game series has been designed and played primarily on consoles for 30 years and the pc version is just a port.
it’s PC to me, dammit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man what happened, I was in the mood to play some SRW, but looking at the newest games, they've all got terrible cast lists. A full half of 30's is DLC and even half the Base game is Gundam. It's like every cast is Half Gundam Half Votoms/FMP/Macross and then one or two cool new series a game. Man this is disappointing they need to start another Alpha Z style giant series again

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Man what happened, I was in the mood to play some SRW, but looking at the newest games, they've all got terrible cast lists. A full half of 30's is DLC and even half the Base game is Gundam. It's like every cast is Half Gundam Half Votoms/FMP/Macross and then one or two cool new series a game. Man this is disappointing they need to start another Alpha Z style giant series again

Gundam has always been a huge chunk of SRW. Having a 40 year series with new entries almost every year will do that.

I will agree that 30's cast list is weak, but I think it's closer to too little Gundam than too much. It's just UC stuff, and most of it is post plot, with Victory and Narrative as the only ones that do anything, which is awkward since Victory and Narrative both suck. It's all UC stuff, and a big chunk of the cast has nothing to do in the plot. Then again, that applies to a lot of other series too, like Lelouch and Ryoma in the back half of the game, or Combattler's crew for all of it. And then there's Majestic Prince...

30 has a really disappointing base lineup, and the DLC doesn't have enough to do even aside from the problem of it being DLC.

However, SRW T is good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
30's structure was an experiment, but IMO the results that came back are "please never again".

Actually thinking about this, it's making me appreciate route splits more. Maybe route splits, but you can play each route split without having to make a new game?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Gundam has always been a huge chunk of SRW. Having a 40 year series with new entries almost every year will do that.

I will agree that 30's cast list is weak, but I think it's closer to too little Gundam than too much. It's just UC stuff, and most of it is post plot, with Victory and Narrative as the only ones that do anything, which is awkward since Victory and Narrative both suck. It's all UC stuff, and a big chunk of the cast has nothing to do in the plot. Then again, that applies to a lot of other series too, like Lelouch and Ryoma in the back half of the game, or Combattler's crew for all of it. And then there's Majestic Prince...

30 has a really disappointing base lineup, and the DLC doesn't have enough to do even aside from the problem of it being DLC.

However, SRW T is good.

Everything you're saying is telling me they need to go all in again and do another mega series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly the only series I would've preferred not to see in 30 would be like, knights and magic and l-gaim, the rest are fine by me, even if I am super tired of mazinger and zeta.

Though I am kinda conflicted on j decker, but I guess I'm just glad it isn't gaine again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Consider that 30 has Rayearth and therefore has a good cast list.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Consider that 30 has Rayearth and therefore has a good cast list.

Yeah I think the series list is one of the few places where 30 doesn't fall short compared to other SRWs. Even without looking at the DLCs, Gun X Sword, Rayearth, Gridman, and J-Decker make the game worth it (and GGG vs. Betterman is a good inclusion on paper at least, even if the execution is a little disappointing).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah I think the series list is one of the few places where 30 doesn't fall short compared to other SRWs. Even without looking at the DLCs, Gun X Sword, Rayearth, Gridman, and J-Decker make the game worth it (and GGG vs. Betterman is a good inclusion on paper at least, even if the execution is a little disappointing).

The problem is that Rayearth and Gun X Sword were done better in T. Meanwhile, Gridman's an awkward fit with the rest of the series list, much as I like it, due to the basic premise. Akane being a god means less when almost everyone is from outside her domain.

There's also nothing that stood out for me as a "wow" entry, like Beebop, Yamato, or even Rayearth. Gridman came closest, but the implementation wasn't on a level to carry the game by itself, and even then it felt like a "regular" debut.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I hope Knights and Magic shows up in every SRW ever going forward.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Kitfox88 posted:

I hope Knights and Magic shows up in every SRW ever going forward.

I hope they show up at least once in a future SRW with a much better implementation than what they did here. There's all sorts of weird mech designs in that show, and out of all of them only the Centaur made it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also nothing that stood out for me as a "wow" entry, like Beebop, Yamato, or even Rayearth. Gridman came closest, but the implementation wasn't on a level to carry the game by itself, and even then it felt like a "regular" debut.

Given the structure of the game, I don't really think it was possible for there to be any "wow" moments, because those usually come about due to tight, well-paced writing, unless you mean in terms of a series that was just sort of a big deal, in which case, the real "big deal" series was GGG vs. Betterman, since it was originally just a webnovel with no real anime/manga presence. That said, the execution heavily undermined that excitement. Of all the new series, I think J-Decker really stole the show in terms of having consistently good writing in the face of the game's overwhelming bloat and unwieldy format and characters that are fun to use even after you've had them for like two trillion missions.