Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this would be a long fuckin' two tournaments if so lol

if we could recapture the fun of the Ashura tournament though I'd be down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Babe Magnet posted:

this would be a long fuckin' two tournaments if so lol

if we could recapture the fun of the Ashura tournament though I'd be down

Asura was a really long loving Tourney just gonna say and it was good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The big structural flaw in Purgatory tournament was that every fighter got just one match, so there wasn't space to develop and hype the fighters thorough the tournament, outside of the match itself.The current tournament fixes it, so as long as we won't be flooded by Worm agents again and the villains will get a chance to build up and actually do something before getting immediately killed off, we are golden.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

The big structural flaw in Purgatory tournament was that every fighter got just one match, so there wasn't space to develop and hype the fighters thorough the tournament, outside of the match itself.The current tournament fixes it, so as long as we won't be flooded by Worm agents again and the villains will get a chance to build up and actually do something before getting immediately killed off, we are golden.

Even if there are worm agents, if they get more build up it would help

Hell, Monke face bastard had plenty of build up for his character in the lead up to his brutal beatdown

Mongolian Worm had some good build up

It was the later "lol worms" that messed it up

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, I forgot about the monke bastard. He is a weird inversion of later worm fights in that he was like the one villain that got a proper pre-tournament build-up and hype, to the point that he was the sole motivation for like 2 Kengan fighters to even participate in the tournament and then when he got to actually fight, he turned out to be a huge chump and got effortlessly destroyed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Falcon is the best. I want him to win it, except I also want cosmo to win it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lmao, I forgot about the monke bastard. He is a weird inversion of later worm fights in that he was like the one villain that got a proper pre-tournament build-up and hype, to the point that he was the sole motivation for like 2 Kengan fighters to even participate in the tournament and then when he got to actually fight, he turned out to be a huge chump and got effortlessly destroyed.

But also him getting BRUTALLY destroyed felt great, I felt that the authors did a great sell on "this man needs to get wrecked, and you should feel very satisfied that he was wrecked"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is this a prelim to a tournament where the winner of each block is part of the new annihilation tournament or only the winner of the whole bunch of people we just met goes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didn't really enjoy the Yumigahama outcome. I'd prefer he lose but take no damage and just be a total prick about it. Like four purgatory fighters died that tournament how much am I supposed to care about Jose's injuries?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

One fight wouldn't be a problem if most of the purg fighters stuck around as regular characters. At the very least people like late tourney Carlos, Lolong, Judo dude, and Falcon have staying power either because they are chill enough to cozy up to the kengan fighters or have a strong enough personality to just be entertaining. The flood of worm agents did detract especially since the whole organization just narratively imploded right after that arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm also angry that the actual group of friends (Liu, Naidan, Nicolas, and Fei) ended up crumbling because 2 turned out to be Worm agents and died, and 1 turned out to be a murderous crazyboy running around with the name of the guy he worshipped and killed.

Especially since we get scenes of them hanging out and being friends.

Honestly, poor Liu.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If the Worm agents in the tournament had just been Naidan and like maybe one of the chumps it would have been fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Almost all of the cool Kengan characters that we like started off as randoms in a tournament arc!

I'm going to try to choose which ones I think have "character designs that will be used on a strong character" and see how accurate I am over the course of this tournament.

Pool A: I guess Silva, the Supernova guy, though not confident about it. We've only seen Xiao-hu lose in Kengan, but he lost to a really powerful fighter. Furusaki Jinsei has a chance of being an unknown upset winner (there's gotta be at least one of those, though I think Luca Tyrant in F pool has a better chance).
Pool B: Cosmo obviously, one of the important highlighted original characters. Taiju is the only other character in that bracket with a notable character design.
Pool C: Lihito for similar reasons to above
Pool D: Kim Jang-gi. It's down to him and the other Supernova guy, and I think it'll be Kim Jang-gi because I don't think we've had any other major Korean characters.
Pool E: Koga obviously. I'll be curious to see how Lihito's buddy does against the other Purgatory B-list guy
Pool F: Luca Tyrant. I want Dudley to win, but don't think he will. I'm actually going with the one unknown guy (at least I think he's unknown). Him winning against a pool of known characters could be a way to establish him as a threat.
Pool G: Saw Paing I guess, though I won't be surprised if it's Nam Nhat instead
Pool H: Ryuki obviously. I think Chiba will win his first match and then lose to Ryuki second.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

One fight wouldn't be a problem if most of the purg fighters stuck around as regular characters. At the very least people like late tourney Carlos, Lolong, Judo dude, and Falcon have staying power either because they are chill enough to cozy up to the kengan fighters or have a strong enough personality to just be entertaining. The flood of worm agents did detract especially since the whole organization just narratively imploded right after that arc.

Purg should have been just these 4, Naidan, Monke, Toa, maybe one other worm guy, and the guy Raian split in half.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Genderswap Monkey will haunt my nightmares

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They did another genderswap omake I take it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah it's on the new volume extras

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jose posted:

Is this a prelim to a tournament where the winner of each block is part of the new annihilation tournament or only the winner of the whole bunch of people we just met goes

There’s no official relationship between the two and even the winner may not necessarily join the next KAT.

That said, the KAT is the top companies choosing the best fighters. If someone has a great showing in Beserker Brawl and isn’t too injured for it, there’s no reason they couldn’t be picked for KAT2.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Plutonis posted:

Genderswap Monkey will haunt my nightmares

lmao at Lady Julius

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Spuckuk posted:

lmao at Lady Julius

You mean Lady Toa

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why is Rolón so small and Kazuo also not a woman?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Why is Rolón so small and Kazuo also not a woman?

That's Kazuo's dream sequence, it happened before on the previous manga extras

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know I take it back, this tournament is good (so far).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

That's Kazuo's dream sequence, it happened before on the previous manga extras

Yeah but that doesn't answer my question. I'm pretty sure this is the third time they've done this extra theme. Why is Rolon now Karla sized? He was closer to the Adam Dudley/ Jose side of the scale.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah but that doesn't answer my question. I'm pretty sure this is the third time they've done this extra theme. Why is Rolon now Karla sized? He was closer to the Adam Dudley/ Jose side of the scale.

the one-off comedy side chapter set in a wacky dream does not give an extensive explanation of the motives behind the artist's design changes to each of the characters

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wouldn't bad perspective just be the answer? Like Lu Tian is also built like a tank and similar in size to Agito but (s)he looks fairly small in that picture. Same for Yumigahara.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

RareAcumen posted:

Why is Rolon now Karla sized? He was closer to the Adam Dudley/ Jose side of the scale.

I went and dug up their info, and Rolon's only like 180 cm tall and 84 kg heavy, so he's actually slightly shorter, though more strongly built, than, say, Ohma at 182cm/82kg. Adam's a real big un' at 193cm and 107kg, though Jose's only like 179 cm tall.

Plus bad perspective.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Warden posted:

I went and dug up their info, and Rolon's only like 180 cm tall and 84 kg heavy, so he's actually slightly shorter, though more strongly built, than, say, Ohma at 182cm/82kg. Adam's a real big un' at 193cm and 107kg, though Jose's only like 179 cm tall.

Plus bad perspective.

I would've said Sawada if I could've remembered his name off the top of my head

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The series plays up size / build differences for emphasis.

See: The 8th fang, Wakatsuki and Gozo, etc.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like that these huge muscle bound men with comicbook physiques only weigh 80kg lol

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like that these huge muscle bound men with comicbook physiques only weigh 80kg lol

Mr. Olympia winners and finalists are usually shorter than 1.80. Bodybyilding and martial arts are not very related, Julius aside, but still. Even UFC heavyweights are closer to 1.85-188 IIRC

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Collapsing Farts posted:

The world's middleweight champion in Olympic weightlifting is 177cm and 81kg and the dude lifted over 200 kg in clean and jerk last year.

Oh, and he's eighteen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Warden posted:

The world's middleweight champion in Olympic weightlifting is 177cm and 81kg and the dude lifted over 200 kg in clean and jerk last year.

Oh, and he's eighteen.

Weightlifting at the top levels like that is just amazing to see. I have no idea how you get to weights like that in the clean and jerk without loving up and severely injuring yourself at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Warden posted:

Oh, and he's eighteen.

Anime is real

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Warden posted:

Oh, and he's eighteen.

The guy in the Pic is Dmitry Klokov and currently 39 years old, still an amazing weightlifter. He's 1.83m tall and usually lifted in the 105kg division. Also got busted for roids at the olympics, but that is nowadays mostly a question of when and not if the elite olympic lifters get busted.

The 18yo Karlos Nasar mentioned above has moved up to 89kg and lifting a stupid amount of weight. A 171kg Jerk and a 211kg clean&jerk at the last championships and both Junior Records.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Helios Grime posted:

The guy in the Pic is Dmitry Klokov and currently 39 years old, still an amazing weightlifter. He's 1.83m tall and usually lifted in the 105kg division. Also got busted for roids at the olympics, but that is nowadays mostly a question of when and not if the elite olympic lifters get busted.

The 18yo Karlos Nasar mentioned above has moved up to 89kg and lifting a stupid amount of weight. A 171kg Jerk and a 211kg clean&jerk at the last championships and both Junior Records.

poo poo really? I google image seached Karlos Nasar, and that one was one of the first photos that came up. Thanks for correcting me.

Also, dude's bulked up *a lot* if he's in 89kg only a year after being in 81kg.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Helios Grime posted:

Is he really a jerk in real life? That's sad.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
All swole people are jerks, didn't you learn this from every high school movie?

Also, that should be a 171kg Snatch not a Jerk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Helios Grime posted:

All swole people are jerks, didn't you learn this from every high school movie?

Also, that should be a 171kg Snatch not a Jerk.

Counterpoint: Sekibayashi Jun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eat poo poo Ryuki