Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

well if anything could make me consider pans to not suck...

yeah, very impressive spokeswoman to target demographic alignment there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

iirc you could embed at least scripts and possibly executable code in wmv

WMV files supported arbitrary DRM plugins which Windows Media Player or Foundation or whatever would install automatically or with minimal user intervention in the finest ActiveX fashion

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

media and image decoders nfamous for being sources of vulnerabilities and browser developers spent millions of dollars trying to find ways to get them into various sandboxes without tanking performance. latest technique I read about was compiling the decoder to webassembly, and then generating equivalent C(++?) from it to compile into the native binary while preserving the webassembly safety semantics.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it depends on the container and the os, and how the os handles the container, but there's a poo poo ton of code execution vulnerabilities to be had

particularly in something like matroska that lets you just plop whatever you want in it. of course that doesn't mean you're automatically vulnerable, but combine it with an exploit in a (for example) jpeg library or something that parses subtitles (usually formatted hypertext or bitmaps) and yeah, it's not hard to see

that's ignoring the video codecs themselves too. plenty of RLE codecs are still supported and i'd bet the decoders haven't been worked on in decades

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Subjunctive posted:

media and image decoders nfamous for being sources of vulnerabilities and browser developers spent millions of dollars trying to find ways to get them into various sandboxes without tanking performance. latest technique I read about was compiling the decoder to webassembly, and then generating equivalent C(++?) from it to compile into the native binary while preserving the webassembly safety semantics.

this would definitely kill performance if they're talking about using WASI (C). it's absolutely slow as poo poo for anything i've tried it with apropos encoding (looking at you, ffmpeg)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beeftweeter posted:

this would definitely kill performance if they're talking about using WASI (C). it's absolutely slow as poo poo for anything i've tried it with apropos encoding (looking at you, ffmpeg)

they aren’t using WASI, or a web assembly runtime. they’re generating and compiling C that implements the same semantics as executing the generated web assembly.

it’s shipping in Firefox currently, and performance is fine: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2021/12/webassembly-and-back-again-fine-grained-sandboxing-in-firefox-95/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Subjunctive posted:

they aren’t using WASI, or a web assembly runtime. they’re generating and compiling C that implements the same semantics as executing the generated web assembly.

it’s shipping in Firefox currently, and performance is fine: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2021/12/webassembly-and-back-again-fine-grained-sandboxing-in-firefox-95/

huh, that's actually pretty interesting. it looks like they're just spitting out whatever clang outputs as wasm back to c, which i'm having trouble wrapping my head around

what happens when something is called that wasm doesn't support? for example, specific simd instructions aren't supported, threading by default is emulated (although there are implementations with threads, iirc they're not all compatible) and there's no float functionality. if it just falls back to a C implementation, how is that more secure?

admittedly i haven't played with wasm/wasi in a long time (year+) so i might be wrong on the details and it's no doubt been updated since then. i realize you said that's not what they're using, too, but compiling something within the constraints of webassembly should be, well, within those constraints, no?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 16, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

lets just skip straight to the browser as a type 1 hypervisor and each tab being its own full virtual machine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

this is very neat though

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

lets just skip straight to the browser as a type 1 hypervisor and each tab being its own full virtual machine

some dickhead is probably already doing this in rust

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beeftweeter posted:

what happens when something is called that wasm doesn't support?

then it doesn’t work with this technique, I imagine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

some dickhead is probably already doing this in rust

embedded systems are actually kinda moving this way. cars for example have different VMs assigned to different parts of screens

different but… gently caress it everything is a VM feels like the future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kazinsal posted:

security fuckup megathread 18.15: some dickhead is probably already doing this in rust

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Subjunctive posted:

then it doesn’t work with this technique, I imagine

lol, in turn i'd imagine they can't decode (let alone encode) modern video this way then

they say they're using this for graphite, hunspell, ogg, expat and woff2. well, fine, the only multimedia encoder/decoder there is ogg. the others probably wouldn't have much of a noticeable performance impact since they're just checking spelling or drawing vectors etc.

but even with WASI a year ago you could do real-time encoding with ogg, because it's old as poo poo and isn't something most people are gonna want to use

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

hobbesmaster posted:

embedded systems are actually kinda moving this way. cars for example have different VMs assigned to different parts of screens

different but… gently caress it everything is a VM feels like the future

I've heard of MVVM before but this is ridiculous!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

cool beetlejuicing you got there, this hit my inbox this morning

https://gcerp.wd10.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/details/Systems-Administrators---Systems-Analysts_R-221059

unfortunately i am not qualified, because the immunity to "you need an education" granted to me by incumbency in my own public service group does not work for arm's length ogds

and also, holy gently caress i am not smart enough to land a job like this

they are really having a lot of trouble with recruiting right now. if you're interested, you should apply and see where it goes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats a garbage CJ job you're better than that

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

thats a garbage CJ job you're better than that

agreed, but it's very easy to move around internally once you have your foot in the door. it's worth taking what you can get if you're interested in the work, given that lateral movement is relatively easy.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
if you're dumb enough to enable support for all possible things when building ffmpeg then you get a bunch of dumb codecs which are actually basically just a scripting language that some 90s game used to generate sound

even with only the sane things enabled, opening untrusted input in ffmpeg outside of a sandbox is sort of terrifying and i've always been amazed that video-based exploits have been as rare as they are

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

hobbesmaster posted:

Someday, we will use our web browsers to run a second web browser inside of it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Plorkyeran posted:

if you're dumb enough to enable support for all possible things when building ffmpeg then you get a bunch of dumb codecs which are actually basically just a scripting language that some 90s game used to generate sound

even with only the sane things enabled, opening untrusted input in ffmpeg outside of a sandbox is sort of terrifying and i've always been amazed that video-based exploits have been as rare as they are

That you know of.

:nsa:.mp4

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plorkyeran posted:

even if you don't and just want to use libx264/libx265 (using external hw/sw codecs with wasm is out of the question, i think, but i'd love to be wrong here) it's still going to suck rear end with wasm's limitations, not least of which is because they're optimized with a bunch of architecture-dependent asm

yeah, it's technically workable, i've compiled it myself before. it's fine if you don't mind rendering at 0.5 fps

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For the long tail of poo poo codecs that you want to technically support but nobody wants to actually work on, rendering at 0.5fps but with guaranteed security is a pretty good sounding compromise.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lmao i just remembered about codec packs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jabor posted:

For the long tail of poo poo codecs that you want to technically support but nobody wants to actually work on, rendering at 0.5fps but with guaranteed security is a pretty good sounding compromise.

lol, true enough, but who the hell is using theora video and vorbis audio in an ogv container?

not just because it's 2022, i mean that's true at basically any point in time

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

not just codec packs, but girthy ones

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I can’t get a government job because I smoke a huge amount of weed. Also the pay is poo poo compared to the private sector.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

I can’t get a government job because I smoke a huge amount of weed. Also the pay is poo poo compared to the private sector.

get a medical card

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

get a medical card

Or the government could pay better wages and legalize weed?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

get a medical card

It's still illegal in federal law regardless of medical cards

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

Or the government could pay better wages and legalize weed?

I agree that weed should be legalized but contractors (yes, I know, it's not 100% the same) can make bank

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sometimes, you really need an embedded linux guy and are willing to pay anything because good engineers aren't a dime a dozen

but everything's gotta be cool at the federal level so weed is still not cool and it still might take another 4 years before it gets legalized.

I don't smoke but I see it as the same level as alcohol

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

It's still illegal in federal law regardless of medical cards

there are plenty of government jobs that don't test. i touched computers for the department of energy in a medical, then recreational state and never got tested. currently touch computers for the state govt in a different state, and again no tests.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, true enough, but who the hell is using theora video and vorbis audio in an ogv container?

not just because it's 2022, i mean that's true at basically any point in time

Video games and youtube? I think archive.org uses it too.

Keep in mind that mp4 is not a free codec and some people are using old rear end servers that don't support vp9 or whatever.

And ogv isn't really that popular in any case because it doesn't work on iphone. I think.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

there are plenty of government jobs that don't test. i touched computers for the department of energy in a medical, then recreational state and never got tested. currently touch computers for the state govt in a different state, and again no tests.

That's a good point. I guess state agencies set their own rules and I guess some government agencies don't care as well.

I was more referring to software development, though. Some federal contractors have a lot of money but sometimes their hands are tied regarding who can work on the code.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

That's a good point. I guess state agencies set their own rules and I guess some government agencies don't care as well.

I was more referring to software development, though. Some federal contractors have a lot of money but sometimes their hands are tied regarding who can work on the code.

my experience is the reality is that the law dictates a drug free workplace, but the only parties interested in enforcing the law are those who are in the business of constantly having to ask for new work (contractors). aside from defense or cleared positions, the agencies themselves don't really seem to give a gently caress. i imagine the majority of compliance from contractors comes from the fact other contractors could use a lack of compliance as leverage.

probably an overly cynical view, but *shrug*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

Video games and youtube? I think archive.org uses it too.

Keep in mind that mp4 is not a free codec and some people are using old rear end servers that don't support vp9 or whatever.

And ogv isn't really that popular in any case because it doesn't work on iphone. I think.

old video games, maybe, the rest? except for archive.org, which also transcodes to h264, i don't see it. keep in mind theora is based on VP3 and vorbis is not opus

mp4 is a container (ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003) based on the old quicktime mov format. typically it'd use h264/aac, but it's not uncommon to see hevc/ac-4, dolby atmos, etc. it's also pretty extensible and has lots of attack surfaces, but not as many as regular mov

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

another approach to secure format parsing, from the Windows kernel. terrible name though

https://www.fstar-lang.org/papers/EverParse3D.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43shSuenPzU