Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hay guys just putting down glasses of pastis and checking periodically to see if WWIII has kicked off yet lol

Pastis is good yo

e: also cranking some spiritual jazz and hoping the kids don't wake up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ive got a dollar saying I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I normally don't drink after 3 AM but there's a loving war going on and I feel like poo poo.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

We've been pretty dry over here since Covid restrictions in Korea have pretty much put bars off limits to us. But wife and I had to have a few as poo poo has started going full Clancey.

Here's hoping China and NK decide to not get jumpy as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Buffalo Trace makes a drat good manhattan.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Instead of freedom fries=French fries
They gotta do it different now
Chicken Kiev=Chicken Putin

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Seems like Russia's been Putin their dick in a real hornet's nest!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

Seems like Russia's been Putin their dick in a real hornet's nest!

Almost spit out my beer.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Buffalo Trace makes a drat good manhattan.

Not an empty quote

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ASAPI posted:

Almost spit out my beer.

Need lovely cashgrab war shirts with bart

:regd13:

Don't have a Moscow man!

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Special Military Operation
SPOMO

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lightly :nws:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Who likes Hawaiian shirts and/or muskets?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Explain to me how Amy Adams did not even get a nod for an Oscar nomination for Arrival.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Explain to me how Amy Adams did not even get a nod for an Oscar nomination for Arrival.

Oh man that movie was soooo good.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The academy members have seen the rest of her of work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Arrival was one of the greatest forgettable movies I’ve ever seen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why does every VFW have that K mart lighting that makes everything look grimy and also instantly trips the ol depression switch in your brain?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Because local VFW members spent years alienating younger vets, women vets, black vets, hispanic vets, democrat vets, and basically anyone that served after maybe Panama or Grenada, and now they have no money to update their sad old man spaces.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Because local VFW members spent years alienating younger vets, women vets, black vets, hispanic vets, democrat vets, and basically anyone that served after maybe Panama or Grenada, and now they have no money to update their sad old man spaces.

So this is a strange one, I briefly attended my local VFW and learned they have these stupid "not gambling" machines that bring in BIG bucks. But they refuse to spend the money in a smart way. The younger members (all two of them) are told that it is better to continue an endless repair cycle instead of total replacement because ~cost~ and they might lose their lease from the city in 10 years (they won't, they have a guy on the council).

I believe their blatantly loud support for Trump/Republicans have driven off virtually all minorities and young people who would bombard them with radical ideas like, just replace the plumbing for 10k instead of hiring a plumber every month for 1k.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
But why is the lighting always the exact shade of a K Mart?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ugly In The Morning posted:

lead-poisoned boomer brain

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

I believe their blatantly loud support for Trump/Republicans have driven off virtually all minorities and young people who would bombard them with radical ideas like, just replace the plumbing for 10k instead of hiring a plumber every month for 1k.

The WWII club in Northampton MA was a fun counter to the VFW poo poo like this. It started as a thing for WWII vets, then Korea and Vietnam and so on and at some point members could invite other people. Northampton is hella lefty and inclusive so ten years ago you could go for a cheap beer and see a Korean War vet doing a karaoke duet with a drag queen. Gone now though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Because they bought the fluorescent tubes in bulk at Kmart when they went under.

ASAPI posted:

So this is a strange one, I briefly attended my local VFW and learned they have these stupid "not gambling" machines that bring in BIG bucks. But they refuse to spend the money in a smart way. The younger members (all two of them) are told that it is better to continue an endless repair cycle instead of total replacement because ~cost~ and they might lose their lease from the city in 10 years (they won't, they have a guy on the council).

Pretty much every VFW hall needs to be gutted and renovated anyhow. If a bar is the only draw to most halls, I have no reason to go, just to listen to old drunks bitch about politics or how the gays are taking over or whatever. Just a goddamn echo chamber.

At this point, they're going to need to put a gym in my local before I consider setting foot in it. And sell 1g joints at the bar for $5. Then make the building non-smoking but have an outdoor patio smoke pit space (just because I hate my lungs doesn't mean nonsmokers should suffer). And no goddamn political endorsements or inviting reps to come spout their bullshit.

Also get rid of whatever rank structure bullshit games they try to play in the hall. You're not in anymore, you don't get to call yourself a hall commander or post captain or whatever the gently caress (this might be a legion or amvets thing, but it's poo poo).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also get rid of whatever rank structure bullshit games they try to play in the hall. You're not in anymore, you don't get to call yourself a hall commander or post captain or whatever the gently caress (this might be a legion or amvets thing, but it's poo poo).

Lol

It’s a VFW thing too.

It would be a good spot for some mental health and career training resources but lol why would you ever invest in that?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a good Hell Of A Way To Die podcast episode about vet orgs like, two months ago, about why org halls are dying.

Flatten, format, reinstall leadership.

E: seriously, hire a counselor so folks have someone to talk to in those places besides whispering into their beers.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 16, 2022

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: seriously, hire a counselor so folks have someone to talk to in those places besides whispering into their beers.

poo poo, in small towns, a small commercial space with a business hiring vets as they transition out with career and counseling services in the late afternoon/evening would go way further than a VFW post does. Add a social aspect to it so they can be somewhere to turn for a support network and it’s at least something.

Also no gross fluorescents or those linoleum floors with the specks. Hard ban.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Because they bought the fluorescent tubes in bulk at Kmart when they went under.

Pretty much every VFW hall needs to be gutted and renovated anyhow. If a bar is the only draw to most halls, I have no reason to go, just to listen to old drunks bitch about politics or how the gays are taking over or whatever. Just a goddamn echo chamber.

At this point, they're going to need to put a gym in my local before I consider setting foot in it. And sell 1g joints at the bar for $5. Then make the building non-smoking but have an outdoor patio smoke pit space (just because I hate my lungs doesn't mean nonsmokers should suffer). And no goddamn political endorsements or inviting reps to come spout their bullshit.

Facilities vary greatly also. There is an American Legion in the NOVA area that my father belongs to (the local bars where he watches football all closed) that is rather nice for a hall. They even have these big telemedicine facilities they installed for members so they can easily attend appointments.

It is frustrating because there are facilities that are updated and make sense while other places just need to be condemned.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, not all halls are complete wrecks, but the further you get from big cities, typically the shittier the hall. That's going to wildly vary too, because sometimes members will throw money at maintaining their halls, but a lot of them are loving bleak.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Warm florescents, if I had to guess based on some of the pics I'm seeing.

Fluorescents don't have the best color reproduction index, but the yellow filter they put on "warm" fluorescents destroyed their remaining accuracy and made everything look the loving wrong color.

I keep inside my house warmly lit, and I've had similar stuff happen with cheap warm LEDs. I
prefer to buy bulbs based on their CRI vs temperature these days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Warm florescents, if I had to guess based on some of the pics I'm seeing.

Fluorescents don't have the best color reproduction index, but the yellow filter they put on "warm" fluorescents destroyed their remaining accuracy and made everything look the loving wrong color.

I keep inside my house warmly lit, and I've had similar stuff happen with cheap warm LEDs. I
prefer to buy bulbs based on their CRI vs temperature these days.

poo poo I was just dunking on the lighting but I learned something today, look at that. Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:spergin:

Also I did a thing to my very red battery:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uzTioMp3so

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

:spergin:

Also I did a thing to my very red battery:

Good for health, bad for education

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Drunk as gently caress about 2 hrs ago.

Hopefully don't curse out my chud as gently caress coworkers tonight after I sober up.

Then again who the duck gives a gently caress

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Someone sent me this today, and I laughed. This aired in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLw95CBjrdI&t=16s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Midjack posted:

Good for health, bad for education

:chillpill:

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
I don't post much and will go back to lurking after this, but...

Am I an rear end in a top hat for giving MREs to the folks standing at intersections with signs saying anything helps? I'm not a prepper, but I keep a few cases of them in the pantry "just in case". As they age out, I keep the ones that are gonna expire within the year in my vehicle, and I hand them out to anyone standing at an intersection with a cardboard sign. I don't really care what the sign says, it's usually some bullshit about god and blessings. I say "Hope it helps, stay safe!" and then lock my eyes forward and try to make the light change faster through pure willpower.

Am I hurting or helping? I figure if I was forced to go urban camping, some coffee and TP and a solid hot meal would be welcome.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They literally said anything would help, and you gave them non-perishable, portable food in a convenient package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
You're definitely not hurting anyone