Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs: so i learned the basics of a new language in the past 4-6 days, debugged it in a real weird kubernetes environment, got it working, did a live demo of it for some customers, they think it's cool as hell and now i'm gonna put it on their staging app and let them play with it

Holy poo poo I Finally Made Something after like, poo poo, idk, not doing any creative dev stuff professionally. i feel really good about things rn

congrats!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve only heard of and or used lua in the context of WOW lol

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

cjs: Getting emails about Cisco ISE making GBS threads the bed company wide and making sure my vacation auto responder is still up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs: so i learned the basics of a new language in the past 4-6 days, debugged it in a real weird kubernetes environment, got it working, did a live demo of it for some customers, they think it's cool as hell and now i'm gonna put it on their staging app and let them play with it

Holy poo poo I Finally Made Something after like, poo poo, idk, not doing any creative dev stuff professionally. i feel really good about things rn

hell yeah man. it feels so great to actually build poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, it's a nice feeling. compiled Lua is really quick so it was perfect for this. basically this customer has 17,000 domains running through us, and they want to gradually migrate those to being hosted by another web server. So i built this thing that reads a JSON table of which domains they want to shunt over, if it's on the list, it tells our backend glue to talk to the new server instead of the old one. It's fast as gently caress boiiiiii

anyways i'm still glad i quit Fastly and joined this cowboy rear end startup. it's hard long days, but i feel great after i get a thing done and log off, all my coworkers are super chill (half australians, right), and i cannot complain about the comp.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

pro pasta salad tip: use tortellini instead

what? absolutely not. tf is wrong with you

Video Nasty posted:

I like the tri-color rotini in my pasta salad tyvm :)

now we're talking

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

cjs/cls: went on a very baby difficulty hike at lunch and i was very winded, i should probably do more cardio and easy hikes

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, it's a nice feeling. compiled Lua is really quick so it was perfect for this. basically this customer has 17,000 domains running through us, and they want to gradually migrate those to being hosted by another web server. So i built this thing that reads a JSON table of which domains they want to shunt over, if it's on the list, it tells our backend glue to talk to the new server instead of the old one. It's fast as gently caress boiiiiii

anyways i'm still glad i quit Fastly and joined this cowboy rear end startup. it's hard long days, but i feel great after i get a thing done and log off, all my coworkers are super chill (half australians, right), and i cannot complain about the comp.

This rules. I miss the feeling of accomplishment at my job and as soon as I move into the new house I'm resigning and getting a new gig.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve only heard of and or used lua in the context of WOW lol

some cool game dev tools use it like love2d and defold.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
onion rings are fine

onion pakora, really any pakora is goat

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Someone did the REALLY COOL THING of dumping 5 full bags of trash in the wetlands behind our house. We checked the addresses on some of the mail and found the neighbor who did it. She said she paid someone to get rid of it, it's now piled on her front lawn.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

we've been talking a lot about fried sides, what about non-fried sides like mac/pasta salad, coleslaw, or baked potatoes?

i do like these from time to time! i'm generally not too picky about sides

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Someone did the REALLY COOL THING of dumping 5 full bags of trash in the wetlands behind our house. We checked the addresses on some of the mail and found the neighbor who did it. She said she paid someone to get rid of it, it's now piled on her front lawn.

nice one

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
why so many new posts what happen

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bump_fn posted:

why so many new posts what happen

Britain.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

i swear it wasnt me

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bump_fn posted:

i swear it wasnt me

It was hbag talking about food.

It's really hard to understand just how bad British food is until you've lived somewhere else and had to deal with that island for a while. There's a lot of idiots who go "no it's only the stuff in restaurants" / "it's not that bad just [excuse]" and they're so very wrong. Food crime island.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

graph posted:

what? absolutely not. tf is wrong with you

more cheese is more gooder

also absolutely no Mayo based pasta salad. pesto or vinaigrette with seasoning only

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Transphobia, much like homophobia, does not give you bonuses to cooking. so far it looks like only racism does that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

It was hbag talking about food.

It's really hard to understand just how bad British food is until you've lived somewhere else and had to deal with that island for a while. There's a lot of idiots who go "no it's only the stuff in restaurants" / "it's not that bad just [excuse]" and they're so very wrong. Food crime island.

ok yes but let’s not throw rocks from glass houses seeing what Finland does to pizza

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ok yes but let’s not throw rocks from glass houses seeing what Finland does to pizza

the berlusconi was pretty good, all things considered

i could be convinced to eat reindeer again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

dr oetker sounds like the name of a dude that took an express one-way to argentina in july 1945

i care not to witness his 'pizza experiments'

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lady Radia posted:

Transphobia, much like homophobia, does not give you bonuses to cooking. so far it looks like only racism does that

... you do realize how racist Britain is, right?

They're racist in ways that is shocking to people from other very racist European countries, because the racism is such a detailed tapestry of completely baseless prejudices.

There's three things that define Britain to the mainland. Food, which you expect to be bad, but then turns out it's not due to a lack of quality ingredients, it's just refusal to copy any ideas from anyone foreign. Racism, which you expect to be bad, but then it's just so incredibly intricate and detailed. And the fact that the British can't build anything, and it's shocking how badly made and shoddy everything is, to the point where you will constantly go "what kind of a person expects everything to be half-assed just so you don't have to learn anything new?".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dioxazine posted:

the berlusconi was pretty good, all things considered

i could be convinced to eat reindeer again

reindeer makes good sausage or jerky

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don’t think that’s a meaningful distinction, Britain is TERF island because their meltdowns about someone brown is pretty similar to the mainland meltdowns about the Roma.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonny 290 posted:

dr oetker sounds like the name of a dude that took an express one-way to argentina in july 1945

you're not far off!

quote:

During the 1930s and 1940s, Rudolf-August Oetker was an active member of the Waffen SS of the Third Reich.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
joke reply: now that's some wotaboutism

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Which pizza are you specifically referring to?

Because literally every pizza crime I can think of is made that way on purpose. They had a bad goal, they set out to accomplish it in unconventional ways, and they succeeded. It's the country that brought you linux, IRC, and cell phones. You shouldn't be surprised.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

joke reply: now that's some wotaboutism

:wowza:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

dr oetker was smuggled into the USA under operation bacon strip

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lady Radia posted:

I don’t think that’s a meaningful distinction, Britain is TERF island because their meltdowns about someone brown is pretty similar to the mainland meltdowns about the Roma.

You haven't heard the British talk about Travellers then.

... how many different European countries does your family live in?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man i could go for an operation bacon strip right now yknowhatimsayin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i actually lived in a 90% traveler RV park when we moved here. all the dudes had names of western states, and all the girls had huge tans and these amazing fake titties.

they were good neighbors though and caused us zero problems. big ups to the the shady asphalt vendors.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hbag posted:

man i could go for an operation bacon strip right now yknowhatimsayin

are you saying you're a nazi scientist

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

endlessmonotony posted:

You haven't heard the British talk about Travellers then.

... how many different European countries does your family live in?

I don’t know any of my family besides my mother and siblings. that’s rich person poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

I don’t know any of my family besides my mother and siblings. that’s rich person poo poo

no it's not

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

for disadvantaged people, especially minorities, having a network of extended family is the only way to survive

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Fool posted:

for disadvantaged people, especially minorities, having a network of extended family is the only way to survive

My family is lovely sometimes (especially about the Roma, whoof), but they know that when the poo poo hits the fan, the family solidarity holds.

And it absolutely works vice versa too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

you're not far off!

I still don’t understand why it’s not more common knowledge just how collaborative Finland was with the third reich in their efforts to keep the Soviets away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And on the bright side, whenever it's me it's usually something techy the kids need help with.

And the kids are a lot less racist/homophobic than their grandparents. Mostly.