Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

Mads Mikkelsen, who was in Death Stranding, is from Denmark. Strand is Danish for 'beach'.

Edit: Also, I have said 'Dutch' when I meant 'Danish' like five separate times, but only when I'm talking about Mads Mikkelsen. Is that a meme, a scheme, or just an insane moron not thinking things through? Pick up more codec calls to find out.

Speaking of Denmark, there is new cyberpunk adventure game out, set on the exotic Danish island of Bornholm.

https://twitter.com/InsertDisk22Now/status/1538040221840859136

"Bornholm. Today, a quaint island in the Baltic Sea. In 2155, a sprawling metropolis able to compete with major world powers. Thanks to the Space Elevator, a technological marvel built by Bornholm's corporate consortium, The Conglomerate, few nations on the planet are more influential both in industrial matters and space exploration."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Prepping for the sale:

Someone recently mentioned Unbeatable-white label as one of their top games of last year, and I ended up putting many head-nodding, butt-shaking hours into it over these last few days.

Any recommendations for something similar? I know of that recent anime* diva game, but ehhhhh

*yes I am aware that Unbeatable is anime as well, but there's anime, then there's anime

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Started on Blasphemous tonight, it is my first time playing it. This game is extremely good.

The Amanecidas extra content is worth doing, because most of the story bosses are kind of eh.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of Denmark, there is new cyberpunk adventure game out, set on the exotic Danish island of Bornholm.

https://twitter.com/InsertDisk22Now/status/1538040221840859136

"Bornholm. Today, a quaint island in the Baltic Sea. In 2155, a sprawling metropolis able to compete with major world powers. Thanks to the Space Elevator, a technological marvel built by Bornholm's corporate consortium, The Conglomerate, few nations on the planet are more influential both in industrial matters and space exploration."

This is deeply weird. The only way it could look less like Bornholm is if it was a desert climate. I doubt anybody outside of the Danes, Swedes and Poles even know about it. I wonder how some Australian devs landed on specifically this island.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 18, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Trickyblackjack posted:

Prepping for the sale:

Someone recently mentioned Unbeatable-white label as one of their top games of last year, and I ended up putting many head-nodding, butt-shaking hours into it over these last few days.

Any recommendations for something similar? I know of that recent anime* diva game, but ehhhhh

*yes I am aware that Unbeatable is anime as well, but there's anime, then there's anime

rhythm doctor

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Trickyblackjack posted:

Prepping for the sale:

people were pretty excited about https://store.steampowered.com/app/774181/Rhythm_Doctor/ when it came out. i havent tried it myself.

e: didnt scroll down all the way

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Awesome! posted:

people were pretty excited about https://store.steampowered.com/app/774181/Rhythm_Doctor/ when it came out. i havent tried it myself.

e: didnt scroll down all the way

It's awesome. Fun little story, great gameplay variety. It's still EA and the story's not finished (probably just missing the last few stages at this point?) but it has excellent steam workshop support and there are many many custom stages available for download that easily feel polished enough to be part of the base game, so there's no shortage of content.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is deeply weird. The only way it could look less like Bornholm is if it was a desert climate. I doubt anybody outside of the Danes, Swedes and Poles even know about it. I wonder how some Australian devs landed on specifically this island.

Apparently, the lead dev is married to a dane, and claims to have included accurate bornholmsian culture in the game.

https://twitter.com/InsertDisk22Now/status/1538071483280662528

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Prepping for the sale:

Muse Dash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was gonna say Mad Rat Dead but that's inexplicably not on PC so yeah Muse Dash

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Muse Dash dlc is insane value since they just keep adding songs to the pack.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everhood maybe?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Trying to remember a game. Released on Steam the last 1-2 years, nice late-era SNES graphics, top down view, protagonist is a girl exploring a haunted house/cemetery/other places fighting monsters and ghosts with a gun and maybe other things. Pretty sure it's a japanese dev.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

bees x1000 posted:

Trying to remember a game. Released on Steam the last 1-2 years, nice late-era SNES graphics, top down view, protagonist is a girl exploring a haunted house/cemetery/other places fighting monsters and ghosts with a gun and maybe other things. Pretty sure it's a japanese dev.

Evil Tonight? I randomly saw like 10 seconds of that game a couple days ago and it sounds exactly like what you're talking about.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

that's it, thanks.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

Prepping for the sale:

That reminds me, does that game have a sync audio/video feature? I got lots of delay on that one

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Evil Tonight? I randomly saw like 10 seconds of that game a couple days ago and it sounds exactly like what you're talking about.
i am interested in that one since that dev made one of my favorite arcade games (bot vice), they have such a signature aesthetic

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Trickyblackjack posted:

there's film and then there's film

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend games like NORCO, The Longest Journey, or Neofeud? Weird adventure/exploration games with good stories/settings?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

err posted:

Can anyone recommend games like NORCO, The Longest Journey, or Neofeud? Weird adventure/exploration games with good stories/settings?

Throw a dart at the Wadjet Eye game catalog and you will hit a good game no matter where it lands.

Unavowed is probably the best of them all

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

err posted:

I'm focused on exploration more than the video game definition of adventure here:

Umurangi Generation - Photography game set in an ongoing Neon Genesis Evangelion-type apocalypse. The game is a collection of scenes that you explore with objectives to photograph, and is terrific for its extremely strong mood. The story and setting is completely in the free exploration of the vignettes.

Heaven's Vault - A game about figuring out an ancient language through archaeology in an unusual setting that you figure out as the game goes along. You find inscriptions on all sort of artifacts or locations and plug in your guess at translations, which you refine over time as you find more text to work with. The game is exploration based, with various areas opening up to you on a world-map, so you can explore them in-depth for more scraps of language and information about the history of the setting. Has some rough spots as an actual game, but really does reward exploration and thoughtfulness about the ancient language.

Outer Wilds - On many people's GOTY lists for good reason. An entire miniature solar system to explore with all sorts of weird stuff to discover, the entire game revolves around exploration and is one of the most rewarding for it. The game resets after about 20 minutes, so it is also something were you regularly go back to the beginning to head of in a new direction or on a more refined path after you've discovered a shortcut. Thankfully the game has an excellent tracking system to keep your place in your explorations of the various planets and locations.

Sable - Sci-fi open world game about exploring a desert planet, lots of quietly exploring ruins and the hulks of crashed space ships. While most traditional in gameplay, there is no combat. Strongest on art direction, not sure if they've resolved the performance issues some people were having on release.

This is an oddball, I don't actually recommend it because I gave the game up for being just too frustrating to play, but there is Jett: The Far Shore. You pilot a scout ship on the first interstellar expedition to a strange alien world that has been giving off signals to humanity. Though they aren't from Earth and the people have developed an entire religion around the signals they've been getting, so the game has a mystic angle to it's story. The game is setup around interacting with the alien world and ecology, you can grab various objects and use them with other things. Also has an interesting Soviet sci-fi art aesthetic, but in the end I gave up on this game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

err posted:

80 Days - Heaven's Vault has already been mentioned but 80 Days has a delightfully world that slowly unfolds over multiple playthroughs.

If you liked a overlooked single dev weirdo gem like NeoFeud, you might like

Golden Treasure: The Great Green - A dragon life-simulator except it doesn't take place in a romantic medieval period you might associate with dragons, but instead Palaeolithic times. It's also deeply animist and each spirit/creature/alien (there's aliens) you encounter has its own style of communication and type face. A very strong authorial voice comes through and it's very weird.

There's also Paradise Killer, the games of CAVYHOUSE, Dark Scavenger, Cloud Punk, Scarlet Hollow, Vagrus: The Riven Realms, and I have personal affection for the amount of effort put in to the world building of Ring Runner.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Neon White is very cool, you can tell they were influenced by bunnyhop and defrag maps (one of your powers is basically a conc grenade from TFC) and the way you unlock collectibles, then hints, then leaderboards inspires you to replay the levels.

the only issue I have is that jumping is pretty floaty, which I'm sure helps with a controller, and I haven't found a way to drop down besides the card. the first level is a perfect example of this, you jump over a railing and then have to slowly float down no matter what

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My Ark experience: Wandered into a mangrove swamp, the crocodiles and snakes formed an alliance and killed me. 10/10 would play again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

err posted:

The last express

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Submerged is very beautiful and recently had a sequel released. A flooded world, no combat, just exploring and climbing ruined buildings. Gorgeous.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

err posted:

Disco Elysium

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I got Battletech a while back but haven't played it yet. Any tips for the summer sale regarding the dlcs? Any must haves?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ymgve posted:

Windows UWP continues to be a garbage fire. Tried out Astroneer on Xbox Game Pass, and there was horrible frame pacing. But since it was on there as an UWP app, I had a hunch and took the chance of buying it on Steam. Look at that, no issues on Steam, the game is silky smooth.

UWP is no longer used for winstore games for quite awhile now. It's far back enough that Doom64 is Win32, for example.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Laughing Zealot posted:

I got Battletech a while back but haven't played it yet. Any tips for the summer sale regarding the dlcs? Any must haves?

All of them, honestly. They add mechs, a post campaign mode, and a second campaign

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

err posted:

I liked Citizen Sleeper a lot, though maybe not as much as NORCO. I've also been revisiting Kentucky Route Zero via an LP since a friend of mine is playing it for the first time. Hard to go wrong with either I'd say

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It is, but it's also like a 45 hour game (without the Yuffie campaign) with little filler still
I mean... "the first 4 hours of FF7 in 45 hours" kinda implies some filler.

I personally hated 80 days despite really enjoying other games from the same company (nothing happens, didn't care for the writing). Golden Treasure is really interesting, and I'm not sure why it's not getting more hype (the survival \ hunting mechanics perhaps).

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Did you ever play Dreamfall, the sequel to The Longest Journey?
I can sincerely say my experience with TLJ would have been much better if I never played any of the sequels. The original was a fluke.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 19, 2022

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

err posted:

Did you ever play Dreamfall, the sequel to The Longest Journey? I liked that one. Also Syberia is a very similar type game to TLJ.

I will also second Outer Wilds. Probably in my top 3 games ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xander77 posted:

Only if it’s a 1:1 remake, which it explicitly is not.

To somes chagrin

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only if it’s a 1:1 remake, which it explicitly is not.

To somes chagrin

there's loads of filler in ff7r. it's still a good and charming game and worth playing, but there's a bunch of running round mazes finding someone's lost shovel or climbing a million ladders to flick the fifteen switches or w/e.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yea it’s a video game correct

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mistermojo posted:

Neon White is very cool, you can tell they were influenced by bunnyhop and defrag maps (one of your powers is basically a conc grenade from TFC) and the way you unlock collectibles, then hints, then leaderboards inspires you to replay the levels.

I've played a couple of hours of Neon White and it is very, very cool. Might be something special. Always good to hear Steve Blum's voice as well.

Actually, I'm gonna blow the horn a little louder on Neon White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0b-qZTF0Mc

If that looks too twitchy for you then don't worry. Each level is like a little bite-sized Mirror's Edge level but you can replay them as much as you like. After a few runs you'll be cookin. You get bonuses for going fast or finding hidden collectables which you can spend on the story segments at the hub word which feel like a nice mix of Hades meets Persona.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 19, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

err posted:

I wish I could recommend The Secret World because the good exploration/investigation parts are (or were) really good, but the move to FTP made the bad combat and progression worse and stripped out some good story/lore bits.

E: Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies are excellent weird adventures (though not point-and-click) and you can mod out the tedious survival mechanics if you like.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xander77 posted:

Did you try thinking about that for more than twenty seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

a second campaign

What's this?! I loved BT, but had already played the hell out of it by the time the DLC started coming out.