Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Arist posted:

I legitimately don't understand being upset about the noises. I don't even notice them.

That's because you are normal, unlike most of the goons here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what mods are you using on the PC

how horny are you goons and be honest

I made Cloud into Squall, Tifa into her Advent Children costume, Barret has the Flavor Town vest on, and Aerith is Sailor Moon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I guess? I've worked a lot of places where physical exertion is necessary and it would in fact be super loving weird if everyone was stone slient 24/7.

Every time someone says something like this I feel like they must come from a bizarro universe where every human is stone silent at all times and have never actually had like... a phone call. Or a had a conversation.

It doesn't come up in movies often because movies are not actually usually realistic depictions of people speaking and intentionally cut out a lot of the natural parts of speaking in interests of smoothness and being easily understood.

Are you honest to god trying to tell me right now FFVIIR's conversations are super realistic and it's all movies and television which are more fictionalized?

No, people do not go KUH every time they turn their head to react to something. You're just adamantly defending a stupid thing in a video game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you honest to god trying to tell me right now FFVIIR's conversations are super realistic and it's all movies and television which are more fictionalized?

No, people do not go KUH every time they turn their head to react to something. You're just adamantly defending a stupid thing in a video game.

I literally posted an example of a movie where people are also constantly making sounds above. I also find it hard to believe you've never gone "hmm?" or "huh" when someone says something and you turn to look at that.

And no, FFVII's conversations are not super realistic but it isn't because people make noises sometimes. Fiction isn't very realistic, I don't think that's something I have to argue? Two things can be unrealistic in different ways!

Now if you want to say that FFVII's nonverbal noises are sometimes not at the place where an English speaker would put them that is absolutely true and a flaw of the localization but short of rebuilding every cutscene that's going to happen because languages are structured differently. It's true in languages besides Japanese and English too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 19, 2022

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hope we see Cissnei again...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

I hope we see Cissnei again...

She was in Before Crisis and canonically is in deep hiding by the time FFVII starts. BC is still super canon with the remakeverse because they call out stuff from it like Yuffie working with AVALANCHE before and the assassination attempt on Shinra.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Asema posted:

I made Cloud into Squall, Tifa into her Advent Children costume, Barret has the Flavor Town vest on, and Aerith is Sailor Moon.

gently caress yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cissnei was cool

e: Tifa's AC costume is also cool

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

anakha posted:

I do wonder how many of those people questioning Zack's importance to the overall story of VII missed that optional scene in the original game.

I know at least one person who has very strong opinions about the story changes in FF7R and hasn't actually played FF7 and whenever I think about it I get a little more depressed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

I know at least one person who has very strong opinions about the story changes in FF7R and hasn't actually played FF7 and whenever I think about it I get a little more depressed

I mean we knew even before FF7R came out that a lot of FF7 fans never actually played FF or played it as kids and don't actually remember any of the characters or plot.

That is why it is good Aerith says "poo poo."

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This game sure is nice in 1440p90 huh

I'm sure it's already been mentioned but put "-d3d11" in your Steam launch options to prevent all the horrible stuttering, otherwise it will use d3d12 and this game's implementation of it is really broken for some reason.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

Cissnei was cool

e: Tifa's AC costume is also cool

Tifa's AC outfit was her best one by far. That whole movie was beautiful, and sounded great. It was just really dumb.

ImpAtom posted:

I literally posted an example of a movie where people are also constantly making sounds above. I also find it hard to believe you've never gone "hmm?" or "huh" when someone says something and you turn to look at that.

And no, FFVII's conversations are not super realistic but it isn't because people make noises sometimes. Fiction isn't very realistic, I don't think that's something I have to argue? Two things can be unrealistic in different ways!

Now if you want to say that FFVII's nonverbal noises are sometimes not at the place where an English speaker would put them that is absolutely true and a flaw of the localization but short of rebuilding every cutscene that's going to happen because languages are structured differently. It's true in languages besides Japanese and English too.

No one ever said people don't make incidental noises. But if people aren't 100% silent, they also don't make these incidental noises 100% of the time. It's like how in PS1 Resident Evil games models don't have moving lips so they wave their arm about to convey emotion and "I'm speaking now." Just standing ramrod straight and never moving your body is disconcerting. But at the same time gesturing in a ridiculous way is also unbelievable. The key is to find a believable medium. FFVIIR went too far in one direction is all I'm saying.

As for your final point, this is why I brought up the fact I've been playing Japanese stuff for a long time and you know I exclusively use English dubs. I don't recall these noises in games like Xenosaga or even Final Fantasy X or a lot of the anime I watch. Didn't everybody lose their mind about Vanille's moe noises in FFXIII precisely because it doesn't fit English?

It's clearly possible to dub around them/dub them out completely. I wasn't criticizing the Japanese VAs for doing what is natural to their language, just the dub because, as far as I can see from other dubs, you can localize this out. Granted, Xenosaga and FFX were a long time ago now. Maybe something i more recent HD video gaming makes it harder? I wouldn't know.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 19, 2022

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

anakha posted:

I do wonder how many of those people questioning Zack's importance to the overall story of VII missed that optional scene in the original game.

Ah but *ackshually* that scene was not present in the original Japanese release :smuggo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Tifa's AC outfit was her best one by far. That whole movie was beautiful, and sounded great. It was just really dumb.

No one ever said people don't make incidental noises. But if people aren't 100% silent, they also don't make these incidental noises 100% of the time. It's like how in PS1 Resident Evil games models don't have moving lips so they wave their arm about to convey emotion and "I'm speaking now." Just standing ramrod straight and never moving your body is disconcerting. But at the same time gesturing in a ridiculous way is also unbelievable. The key is to find a believable medium. FFVIIR went too far in one direction is all I'm saying.

As for your final point, this is why I brought up the fact I've been playing Japanese stuff for a long time and you know I exclusively use English dubs. I don't recall these noises in games like Xenosaga or even Final Fantasy X or a lot of the anime I watch. Didn't everybody lose their mind about Vanille's moe noises in FFXIII precisely because it doesn't fit English?

It's clearly possible to dub around them/dub them out completely. I wasn't criticizing the Japanese VAs for doing what is natural to their language, just the dub because, as far as I can see from other dubs, you can localize this out. Granted, Xenosaga and FFX were a long time ago now. Maybe something i more recent HD video gaming makes it harder? I wouldn't know.

They dont make incidental noises 100% of the time in FFVIIR either.

And if you dont recall them in FFX I'm not sure what to say. Like Yuna did it all the time

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
MAN IT SURE IS A SHAME THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FF7 RELATED NEWS RELEASED LATELY AND WE ALL HAVE TO KEEP POSTING ABOUT ASININE ANIME GRUNT ARGUMENTS OH GEEZ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the grunts are really bad and noticeable. You stick any Todd in front a tv it's gonna be the first thing they would notice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now is this the nature of memories being unreliable in an ironically on point display of what the main focal point of the game is about or just people getting old and deciding people's blood is moving in their veins too loudly and there are too many April 28, 2014 Neil Cicierega Mouth SoundsTM for their liking?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Moola posted:

MAN IT SURE IS A SHAME THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FF7 RELATED NEWS RELEASED LATELY AND WE ALL HAVE TO KEEP POSTING ABOUT ASININE ANIME GRUNT ARGUMENTS OH GEEZ

*grunts in agreement*

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah the grunts are really bad and noticeable. You stick any Todd in front a tv it's gonna be the first thing they would notice

It was one of the first things talked about on here and elsewhere when the beginning hour of the game was leaked. I remember this video was posted in response
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko

But I'm sure nobody noticed a thing. It's why this video exists with 400,000 Likes, because it's so unnoticeable.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Cloud: "When I saw you lying there, I figured it was too late."

Tifa: "Wait, what are you implying? That I died? That I'm some kind of imposter?"

Interesting conclusion to jump to, "Tifa".

Also... okay, so if Zack staggers into Midgard with Cloud, and in Intergrade is seen trying to think of how to approach Aeris with the buster sword on his back but Cloud still has his... does that mean there is also another Cloud that Z-man has stashed in a motel room or something?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there's a huge difference between noises of physical exertion and every character in a scene turning their head and reacting to something by going "hu!?" or "hu!" if you cannot tell the difference you have worms in your brain

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 Remake has proven we aren't ready to handle the awe inspiring power of voice acting.

We must return to text boxes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake has proven we aren't ready to handle the awe inspiring power of voice acting.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want a battle simulator boss in 7R that’s just a giant PS1 Cloud that tries to smash you with his massive brick arms.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Damnit, that's a better smart rear end response.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
real upset about the anime rear end game sounding like every anime ever

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

real upset about the anime rear end game sounding like every anime ever

it's a little egregious, but it's not that big of a deal. just a little strange for people to act like it's "realistic" rather than the normal Japanese performance stuff people have been making fun of since Speed Racer debuted in the US 55 years ago

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's a little egregious, but it's not that big of a deal. just a little strange for people to act like it's "realistic" rather than the normal Japanese performance stuff people have been making fun of since Speed Racer debuted in the US 55 years ago

Post quotes where people are saying this is normal and expected of everything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
best theory i could come up with is that the vocalizations are used to signpost character movement like how clicky and rattly noises are used for guns/swords

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Post quotes where people are saying this is normal and expected of everything

try reading the thread

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oxxidation posted:

best theory i could come up with is that the vocalizations are used to signpost character movement like how clicky and rattly noises are used for guns/swords

Yeah, it's just a filmmaking/theater trick to make every action have a clear sound to accompany its motion, to emphasize it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

try reading the thread

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I, for one, won't rest until the game has even more grunting and sighing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
this tactical research quest is impastabowl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

this tactical research quest is impastabowl

Which one is giving you trouble?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just this early one to hit staggered enemies with Y attacks, but timed to give yourself an ATB bar. the real trouble is, by the time something is staggered, it's basically dead and its hard to keep burning off Tifa ATB so when it is staggered you still have empty bars to fill. i just did these entire train tunnels so far trying to make some progress on it and am still just at 3.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Caidin posted:

Cloud: "When I saw you lying there, I figured it was too late."

Tifa: "Wait, what are you implying? That I died? That I'm some kind of imposter?"

Interesting conclusion to jump to, "Tifa".

Also... okay, so if Zack staggers into Midgard with Cloud, and in Intergrade is seen trying to think of how to approach Aeris with the buster sword on his back but Cloud still has his... does that mean there is also another Cloud that Z-man has stashed in a motel room or something?

FF7R pt2: REPLICA
Crisis of Infinite Clouds

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Khanstant posted:

just this early one to hit staggered enemies with Y attacks, but timed to give yourself an ATB bar. the real trouble is, by the time something is staggered, it's basically dead and its hard to keep burning off Tifa ATB so when it is staggered you still have empty bars to fill. i just did these entire train tunnels so far trying to make some progress on it and am still just at 3.

I just finished this one up in the tunnels. Maybe stagger with Cloud or Barret and then switch to Tifa? The ATB charges slower on the characters you don’t control, so she shouldn’t have a full gauge when you hop over to her. The drones are quickly staggered by Cloud in Punisher mode.

I had the problem of misunderstanding this one because I thought it meant hit the staggered enemies with abilities like Braver so I was stuck at 4 until I reread the explanation at the start of the tunnel.

Edit: also put the assess materia on and never take it off because it will tell you what moves can rapidly stagger foes when you use it on them.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahah yeah i did the same thing and finally figured it out. ill try that, ive been just playing as tifa because shes the best and most fun, plus thought she might be easiest to do it with but the stuff she staggers well she kills too fast so ill swap around more. assess always on, but should I have steal already? don't think ive missed anything