Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

hahah yeah i did the same thing and finally figured it out. ill try that, ive been just playing as tifa because shes the best and most fun, plus thought she might be easiest to do it with but the stuff she staggers well she kills too fast so ill swap around more. assess always on, but should I have steal already? don't think ive missed anything

Not yet. There is also like one thing worth stealing in the game. (From a chariot like boss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
word and i basically never want to use an item anyway, feels like a waste of atb. i really enjoy this combat system, 15's was okay but this feels like they really managed to merge the fun part of turn-based combat, while also keeping the fun of actually controlling action and getting to respond to situations spontaneously. the weapon upgrade system is kind of weird since I'm assuming you still have a linear progression of starter weapon --> best weapon. but i guess you do go far between weapon upgrades so it's good to have some granular level-up choices to make I suppose.

i'm sure this is a tired suggestion by now but can't help but speculate how the sequel might improve on it with some gambit system thrown in the mix. auto-materia cute but you know we wanna program our boys. folks have been screaming nonstop since ffxii came out to please rerelease all ff games with gambit system, im surprised square's walls of jericho haven't crumbled down from the outcry.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Khanstant posted:

the weapon upgrade system is kind of weird since I'm assuming you still have a linear progression of starter weapon --> best weapon. but i guess you do go far between weapon upgrades so it's good to have some granular level-up choices to make I suppose.

No, all weapons are more or less equal at endgame. Some are definitely more specialized, and maybe that specialization is better overall, but they are all endgame viable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man the hills goons will die on are so weird.

Like this is the first time I致e heard someone so insistent grunts of all things are something worth mentioning.

The most I致e heard on this is when characters spam a catchphrase like Xenoblade and RYEN TIME but never grunts themselves

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Caidin posted:

Also... okay, so if Zack staggers into Midgard with Cloud, and in Intergrade is seen trying to think of how to approach Aeris with the buster sword on his back but Cloud still has his... does that mean there is also another Cloud that Z-man has stashed in a motel room or something?

I知 kind curious as to whether they値l ever address the two buster swords thing. Or if it値l just be implicitly left as a weird thing that just is after the time ghosts died.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If my suspicions are correct and this new timeline is them trying to get the golden ending for everyone where everybody gets a happy ending, they need to cover A LOT of ground in these next two games. Think about it. They need to completely rid the planet of Sephiroth and Jenova so Geostigma doesn't happen so Advent Children and the three Sephiroth clones don't happen. Since Sephiroth is Jenova, he can't return to the Lifestream and in the original timeline just exists forever as a tortured disembodied spirit, and I don't think he really deserves that fate because him being an abomination of nature and going crazy isn't entirely his fault, it's Shinra's (and specifically Hojo). Deepground needs to be taken care of so Dirge of Cerberus doesn't happen. In addition to that, they also need to make sure Hojo doesn't upload his mind to the Internet. Genesis is still kicking around from Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus' secret ending, although after the ending of Crisis Core he may or may not be evil anymore??? They need to get Lucrecia out of her gamer cave and tell Vincent he really needs to get over getting cucked, and also free Vincent from CHAOS so he doesn't lose control if something happens to the Protomateria and awaken as CHAOS anytime soon? And while the audience probably doesn't consider this next point a big deal, they also need to prevent the destruction of Midgar as a result of Meteor and Holy clashing above it, because even though Midgar sucked for anybody who wasn't bourgeoise, it was still home to hundreds of thousands of people. They also need to handle the rehabilitation of Shinra and Rufus, although that already happened in the Compilation, but if Midgar isn't destroyed would Rufus have his redemption?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really hope they use Price of Freedom in Rebirth.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rufus will earn redemption by replacing Cid as a party member.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gologle posted:

If my suspicions are correct and this new timeline is them trying to get the golden ending for everyone where everybody gets a happy ending, they need to cover A LOT of ground in these next two games. Think about it. They need to completely rid the planet of Sephiroth and Jenova so Geostigma doesn't happen so Advent Children and the three Sephiroth clones don't happen. Since Sephiroth is Jenova, he can't return to the Lifestream and in the original timeline just exists forever as a tortured disembodied spirit, and I don't think he really deserves that fate because him being an abomination of nature and going crazy isn't entirely his fault, it's Shinra's (and specifically Hojo). Deepground needs to be taken care of so Dirge of Cerberus doesn't happen. In addition to that, they also need to make sure Hojo doesn't upload his mind to the Internet. Genesis is still kicking around from Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus' secret ending, although after the ending of Crisis Core he may or may not be evil anymore??? They need to get Lucrecia out of her gamer cave and tell Vincent he really needs to get over getting cucked, and also free Vincent from CHAOS so he doesn't lose control if something happens to the Protomateria and awaken as CHAOS anytime soon? And while the audience probably doesn't consider this next point a big deal, they also need to prevent the destruction of Midgar as a result of Meteor and Holy clashing above it, because even though Midgar sucked for anybody who wasn't bourgeoise, it was still home to hundreds of thousands of people. They also need to handle the rehabilitation of Shinra and Rufus, although that already happened in the Compilation, but if Midgar isn't destroyed would Rufus have his redemption?

hmm they could also do something else

edit: my prediction for next game is that Cloud and Jessie get married and the whole game is kind of like animal crossing, just decorate your house with jessie, talk to your neighbors, tend ranch, etc.

Clarste posted:

No, all weapons are more or less equal at endgame. Some are definitely more specialized, and maybe that specialization is better overall, but they are all endgame viable.

Oh dope, I really like that, especially since the best looking versions tend to come earliest in the games.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 19, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the weapon system in FF7R, yeah. Every weapon is equally viable at endgame, they just have different purposes. I always like that kind of thing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I知 kind curious as to whether they値l ever address the two buster swords thing. Or if it値l just be implicitly left as a weird thing that just is after the time ghosts died.

After the white feather falling on Zack in the trailer I'm inclined to semi seriously entertain that Angeal did it somehow.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
ah the eternal debates... catholics vs protestants, coffee vs tea, and anime grunts vs way more anime grunts

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What do you think the reformation was about.

Luther was pro grunt all the way

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpEd2yK8KzQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are you loving serious with this, why are we still doing this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it痴 a good thing if the best thing people can do is nitpick to an insane degree.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm replaying FF7R right now and remembering how much I hate how Blizzard and Aero spells work. Really hope they change those in Rebrith. Enemies who are weak to ice and wind are usually really mobile, too, so they're extra hard to actually hit with the weird delayed effects.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s a good thing if the best thing people can do is nitpick to an insane degree.

why are you under the impression that people don't like the game

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

Yeah, this is similar to my prediction from earlier. There will still have to be some sacrifices but it will end up better for everyone, including Sephiroph, by allowing him to purge himself of Jenova, kill Hojo and then die and permanently return to the lifestream.

There needs to be some major unexpected disaster for the main characters though. Aerith understood that altering the timeline from its destiny risks an even worse outcome, so look forward to the reactions to the end of Rebirth.

Also they値l ensure that the sequels or even another time loop can稚 happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

why are you under the impression that people don't like the game

We池e did you get that impression?

You can nitpick something you like. It痴 what goons do all the time

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Every weapon is equally viable at endgame.

Maybe for you, but my sole loss against Sephiroth in Hard Mode was when I was using the loving Nail Bat. :argh:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This grunting argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvjy20TADNw

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

That someone spent their precious time and energy putting this together is a sign of mental illness

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

"There's too many grunts!" people must hate Legend of Zelda games.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CottonWolf posted:

It痴 two timelines so there痴 nothing to address as of right now.

I知 betting it will stay two timelines until the climax when Zack will dramatically enter the main timeline. Leading up to that we will probably play as Zack in his timeline and maybe there will be weird like dream parts where he and Cloud can almost talk to each other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I mean yeah, but themes aside, I'm sure they've got a few of those in most armories and most swords just look like the one Roche uses if they're not filled with guns they hand out to the useless grunts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The buster sword is just a normal sword. Cloud and Zack have small hands which creates an optical illusion.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
RareAcumen, Crisis Core establishes that the Buster Sword is a weapon that Angeal's mom (or dad??? I don't remember) commissioned specifically for him as a gift. It would be kind of weird that Shinra would have multiple copies lying around.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The final battle in the third game will have Cloud defeat Sephiroth but this time holding two buster swords.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The whole time shenanigans with zack is to be able to sell you a different trilogy reusing assets in a few years.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The whole time shenanigans with zack is to be able to sell you a different trilogy reusing assets in a few years.

Hell, I値l buy it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RareAcumen posted:

I mean yeah, but themes aside, I'm sure they've got a few of those in most armories and most swords just look like the one Roche uses if they're not filled with guns they hand out to the useless grunts.

Someone didn't play Crisis Core! Learn the lore!!!!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bleck posted:

Someone didn't play Crisis Core! Learn the lore!!!!

You can play it right now OR wait until the super fancy remake, I mean reunion version.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Anybody else waiting until all 3 parts are released to start playing FF7R?

No but hopefully this time I get to wait until part 2 is on steam.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

It's really cool for a mod to keep coming in and dweebing out over this stupid loving derail

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I probably won't find a PS5 this decade so I can just wait till they release all the sequels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really enjoy that every time someone posts one of these they include like "awkward laughing" or "breathing heavily" as if that isn't an absolutely insane thing to complain about.

Like I know what you're going for NK but it's the same as the other video where any point you might have tried to make is lost because the person who cared enough to make the video doesn't actually know what they're upset about besides 'mouth sounds that are not words.'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 19, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
getting mad about Rambo yelling when he shoots the big gun

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i hear a single grunt come out of a character's mouth during any activity or you know what even if they are standing still my mind flashes back to DBZ and Goku yelling for fifteen episodes straight am I right fellow anime haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Asema posted:

if i hear a single grunt come out of a character's mouth during any activity or you know what even if they are standing still my mind flashes back to DBZ and Goku yelling for fifteen episodes straight am I right fellow anime haters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Phiax_Zyw