Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

pzy posted:

headphones ranked by their ability to make Linus cry

Yeah, in light of the new Crinacle video this is required re-viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3SInHr9ck

Also Crinacle rules, dude knows what he's talking about and is no-bullshit about it

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Crinacle did an entire video saying amps are bullshit, you don’t need anything more than the Apple dongle.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Just get a pair of DT770s...it's more headphone than 99% people ever need.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Don't be an audiophile is my advice

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

get studio headphones; MDR, M50, DT550/770 or go like Sony WH. And never ever listen to anyone who suggests headphones to you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah, in light of the new Crinacle video this is required re-viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3SInHr9ck
Yeah, that video is the best example.

The best thing for comedy that could happen is some of Linus' favorite headphones getting reviewed retroactively as mediocre to terrible, and him going "but ackshually..."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

well why not posted:

get studio headphones; MDR, M50, DT550/770 or go like Sony WH. And never ever listen to anyone who suggests headphones to you.

The below statement is true
The above statement is a lie

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just buy the Bose headphones and shut the gently caress up.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Steve's got a fat sack of CPUs and we'll be finding out what exactly they are together - live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozi2C3pcFZE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
eagerly looking forward to the Digital Foundry performance review of the new TMNT game

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

well why not posted:

Sennheiser HD650s are the best headphones, headphones have been solved, Sennheiser solved them, just get some HD650s or HD6XXs and keep them forever.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i wish headphones all used the same cable today, though, so tired of proprietary crap that costs extra to replace

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless?color=white
gently caress cables.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I still have cabled headphones since I switch between laptops with a docking station, so Bluetooth is subideal. Is there some other way around that?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The box has connections for USB audio, analog and optical that can be switched between either on the box or the headset. The headphones have BT that can be used independently (A2DP/HFP only so pretty useless for games) as well as analog audio inputs that can be used unpowered.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Sennheiser HD650s are the best headphones, headphones have been solved, Sennheiser solved them, just get some HD650s or HD6XXs and keep them forever.
:emptyquote:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Everyone says they're not an audiophile until someone expresses headphone opinions.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm never going to claim those SteelSeries headphones have top of the line audio quality, but it's good enough and they're very convenient. Being able to swap the battery out instead of charging via cable means I have never been tethered, it completely changes how you use the things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Everyone says they're not an audiophile until someone expresses headphone opinions.

I like my airpods, hth

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

My HD598's have been going strong for years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

I'd like to think I'm a recovering audiophile, but even so I still fall in sometimes because there are limits to how bad audio can sound until I won't tolerate having to listen to it.

I learned the valuable lesson of simply walking away, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everyone wants to be an audiophile until it's time to do real audiophile poo poo

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Woolie Wool posted:

:emptyquote:

I've had my 6xx's as my go to gaming and music headphones for almost a decade now. And a pair of HD598s for the decade before that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

Everyone wants to be an audiophile until it's time to do real audiophile poo poo like spend $3,000 on a cable made from a coat hanger

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You mean there's a better way?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

This conversation brought to you by RayCon.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
If being an audiophile is such a bad thing then how come ancient egyptian pharaohs were already gold plating everything

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxvEf1coZQ&t=514s

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

SCheeseman posted:

The box has connections for USB audio, analog and optical that can be switched between either on the box or the headset. The headphones have BT that can be used independently (A2DP/HFP only so pretty useless for games) as well as analog audio inputs that can be used unpowered.

Can it handle multiple inputs at once? Right now I have two PCs going through my (Corsair) headphones by running a cable from the line out of one into the line in of the one with the headphones and then just listening to the line-in in Windows. Not ideal. Those would be perfect if they could output multiple devices at once.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You can only mix one of the wired inputs and BT. You could probably do what you want with a cheap hardware mixer from ebay or whatever, though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The two guys in this are funnier than anyone else Linus has on staff right now lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

The two guys in this are funnier than anyone else Linus has on staff right now lol

Dan had a good first showing in the Game Gear/Vita mod video

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 25, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Dan is easily my favorite LTT person right now. I'm also convinced that Jake has to be living with Linus in his new house. Jake talks about that house like it's partially his.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SalTheBard posted:

I'm also convinced that Jake has to be living with Linus in his new house. Jake talks about that house like it's partially his.

Well of course, it’s normal to live with your significant others

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jake, my large adult son

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the latest shortcircuit, wherein Alex reviews a Mercedes EQS has LTT labs notes, and they're pretty in-depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzaKGIRgoqs&t=743s

naturally, he still plays Crab Rave, but there's more charts!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching a couple of videos on installing an Android OS to an x86 PC, presumably as a "lite" alternative to an OS if you have a machine that's otherwise too low-power to really keep up with general Windows usage anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGk3-dzXi3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqxa5xBJDs

and it had me thinking: how much more powerful is an old x86 CPU (say, a Skylake-era Pentium or a Bulldozer-era APU) compared to a current-day flagship phone? I'd expect the answer to be "much more powerful" just from the PC having a much larger power envelope (and chip size/transistor count?) but I don't really know. Anyone have any experience with this, or even just a theoretical background? It seems like an interesting way to create a posting station from an otherwise way-too-old machine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd imagine the phone chips are much more optimized for the job?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

and it had me thinking: how much more powerful is an old x86 CPU (say, a Skylake-era Pentium or a Bulldozer-era APU) compared to a current-day flagship phone?

In something like Geekbench, the Snapdragon 888 is about on par with a quad core skylake. The A15 in an iPhone is ~50% faster on single core, and a bit faster on multi-core. The gap between desktop processors and phones has narrowed significantly vs a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And that makes sense when you remember that for a lot of people now their phone is their main computer.