Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

I looked back and didn't see anyone ask, how tight are you lacing the shaft of the boot? It sounds like you're lacing too tight and it's restricting natural movement of your lower leg and ankle.

I’m not sure. It doesn’t feel too tight when I first lace them. I’ll try it looser and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

evilpicard posted:

This looks exactly like the kind of trail I'm trying to find this summer - does anyone have suggestions for similar day hikes in NH, VT or NY? With that kind of elevation I'm good for 15-20km a day. My only hiking in the US was Mount Marcy and The Gothics so it's all new to me.

Definitely check out the Whites. There’s tons there. Mt Washington and the presidentials are great and have many daytrip options

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

evilpicard posted:

This looks exactly like the kind of trail I'm trying to find this summer - does anyone have suggestions for similar day hikes in NH, VT or NY? With that kind of elevation I'm good for 15-20km a day. My only hiking in the US was Mount Marcy and The Gothics so it's all new to me.

buy books from the adk club or other folks like that.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
drat, so lucky with that timing!

I'll have to cancel the overnight stay at Hellroaring Creek, but it looks like we'll be able to find another campsite for that night down in the southwest part of the park. My trip is still three weeks off so hopefully everything dries out and we're not walking through mud the whole time. I'm glad to hear your trip was unaffected though :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

newts posted:

I’m not sure. It doesn’t feel too tight when I first lace them. I’ll try it looser and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Your ankles might swell as you walk as well. How are you at hydrating?

I personally have never been able to wear hiking boots. I have ridiculously skinny ankles and the boots just hang off unless I lace them so tight they can’t move and they always chafe and rub. The year I discovered trail runners was a clouds parting hallelujah moment. I’ve never had ankle problems even with flat as hell feet (knees are another story) so they just seemed like a lot of extra weight for no gain. But I am also one of those people who can do five miles in Sams club teva knockoffs over rough terrain with no problem.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

evilpicard posted:

This is in NH, about 10 miles 4000 ft of elevation gain. Park at Lafayette Place off rt93, ascend Falling Waters Trail, hike the ridge north, decend Lafayette at The Old Bridal Path.

For some more exposed ridgeline in NH take a look at the Bonds and Baldface Loop. And you can definitely find plenty of above tree line stuff around the presidentials. I’m on my phone so it’s hard to effort post but I’ll see if I can dig up some links later.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Screama posted:

drat, so lucky with that timing!

I'll have to cancel the overnight stay at Hellroaring Creek, but it looks like we'll be able to find another campsite for that night down in the southwest part of the park. My trip is still three weeks off so hopefully everything dries out and we're not walking through mud the whole time. I'm glad to hear your trip was unaffected though :)

We had plenty of bad luck elsewhere, so I'm thankful that it wasn't a total bust haha. We got there right after a big snowstorm. Then we had rain and wintry mixes the entire two weeks. Mud was a constant. The Hellroaring area was beautiful of course. Here's a view of Hellroaring Mountain when the sun came out:

The Yellowstone River valley earlier in the hike:

It's such a massive area with so much to see and do that I'm sure people can still salvage some amazing trips, but I imagine the crowds will be even worse than normal in the lower portion of the park. Xanterra was already struggling to keep lodging/food operations going, and I heard from several rangers that the park itself was also understaffed. The summer crowd showed up while we were there (it was noticeable), and traffic backups started happening everywhere as people stopped to take pictures of crap. Teton and the surrounding national forests are worth looking into if the park is in bad shape. The main draw of the park itself seems to be the infrastructure and hot springs. The scenery and wildlife don't stop at the park border.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

evilpicard posted:

Well, if you're looking for a day hike in NH, VT, or NY similar to Franconia Ridge, may I suggest Franconia Ridge?

edit: lol beaten didnt see the next page

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

liz posted:

Same same same. I was down in the Smokies a couple weeks ago and did an 8-10 mile day hike and it was that happiest I’ve felt in awhile… A solid day of hiking is such a natural high. I don’t know why I live in a major city and am considering moving somewhere I could easily hike on a regular basis. Anyone ever move to be closer to nature? I’m partial to the west coast and got spoiled by the Sierras but I’d love to see the Cascades as well…

sincerely,
an unhappy city dweller

I did that. The military stuck me in Idaho, which is great for hiking. I had entire mountains to myself many times over. I got out and moved to Minnesota, where the mountains are farther away and not as mountainy. After a year of that I was in Utah where once again the mountains are plentiful and frequently devoid of people. It was a great choice for me and my mental health improved significantly.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

Well, if you're looking for a day hike in NH, VT, or NY similar to Franconia Ridge, may I suggest Franconia Ridge?

edit: lol beaten didnt see the next page

Lol yeah I'm going to but I'm gonna take 2 - 3 weeks so I'm trying to come up with a few places to visit without defaulting to my regular method of randomly picking trails off a topo map.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I did that. The military stuck me in Idaho, which is great for hiking. I had entire mountains to myself many times over. I got out and moved to Minnesota, where the mountains are farther away and not as mountainy. After a year of that I was in Utah where once again the mountains are plentiful and frequently devoid of people. It was a great choice for me and my mental health improved significantly.

I agreed to move from Toronto to a kind of bad small town to be closer to the inlaws but really because all sorts of cool places are in driving distance now. I can get to Lake Placid, Megantic, Tremblant, Charlevoix, in 4 hours and I have a fleet gas card.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I volunteer to go in your place and hike with your dad

I was honestly mostly just upset that like so many other parts of my life, my parents decided poo poo for me. But the truth is what I had come up with for the trip wasn’t very good anyway,

I talked to my dad and we figured out a good balance between the two. I’m still gonna try to do the pilgrimage, but in 3 days, and I can’t guarantee that I’ll do the entire 21 km hike - I reserve the right to bail after the first 14 or so. I’ll expend that energy on biking across Shimanami instead. For whatever reason, though, dad’s a lot more hesitant to bike it than he is to do the pilgrimage, despite being an avid cyclist. I originally wanted to do Shimanami partly because I thought he’d enjoy it :shrug: whatever.

Kaal posted:

The trip sounds fun, and very doable for your activity level. Your training plan seems solid. It might seem a little overwhelming to you right now, but it will be easier once you start figuring out what to do. The distances between camp sites aren't too bad - 15 km days are pretty normal for tourist sightseeing in DC or New York. The elevation gains aren't terrible, and the paths appear quite well-established, with a mix of dirt, gravel, wood, stone, and pavement. If I were you I'd try to let go of preconceptions and just lean into the adventure of it. Here's some example four day itineraries of your route and some moto images. Let your dad know that you want to go, but are feeling a bit overwhelmed with planning.

Oh, so you’ve done the Kodo? How pressed for time did you feel overall? Did you bail on a path at any point? Did you do the Tsugizakura-to-Kumano-Hongu trail (~21.5 km) in one day? If so, how much harder than 13~15km was it, and if it took more than one day to finish, did you camp somewhere or something?

My worry is that I wouldn’t be able to finish 21km in one day and I’d be sleeping outdoors waiting to finish it the next.

quote:

For what it's worth, in my own experience I've sometimes struggled to motivate myself for trips that I haven't organized from start to finish. My partner has a tendency to spring ideas on me without making much effort to show me that it'll be fun, and yet often expects me to do the planning for it. It can be frustrating, though I think her idea is that by taking part in the scheduling I'll be better able to incorporate my own ideas and be more amenable. So I certainly understand your hesitancy here. What I've found for myself is that I generally have a better time just leaning into the concept rather than feeling unhappy that it isn't something I'd plan for myself. And some of my favorite trips have been ones that I initially was really hesitant about for one reason or another.

Basically yeah. I think it helps to realize that I’m just not a travel planner and am pretty useless at putting together and interesting itinerary, so I might as well leave it up to the people who have done trips for the family for decades. :sigh: Guess I’m still not a complete adult.

Dammit that poo poo looks cool though. What time of year was this? Cold/hot? Humid/dry? Did your feet hurt?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pollyanna posted:

I was honestly mostly just upset that like so many other parts of my life, my parents decided poo poo for me. But the truth is what I had come up with for the trip wasn’t very good anyway,

I talked to my dad and we figured out a good balance between the two. I’m still gonna try to do the pilgrimage, but in 3 days, and I can’t guarantee that I’ll do the entire 21 km hike - I reserve the right to bail after the first 14 or so. I’ll expend that energy on biking across Shimanami instead. For whatever reason, though, dad’s a lot more hesitant to bike it than he is to do the pilgrimage, despite being an avid cyclist. I originally wanted to do Shimanami partly because I thought he’d enjoy it :shrug: whatever.

Oh, so you’ve done the Kodo? How pressed for time did you feel overall? Did you bail on a path at any point? Did you do the Tsugizakura-to-Kumano-Hongu trail (~21.5 km) in one day? If so, how much harder than 13~15km was it, and if it took more than one day to finish, did you camp somewhere or something?

My worry is that I wouldn’t be able to finish 21km in one day and I’d be sleeping outdoors waiting to finish it the next.

Basically yeah. I think it helps to realize that I’m just not a travel planner and am pretty useless at putting together and interesting itinerary, so I might as well leave it up to the people who have done trips for the family for decades. :sigh: Guess I’m still not a complete adult.

Dammit that poo poo looks cool though. What time of year was this? Cold/hot? Humid/dry? Did your feet hurt?

I haven't hiked that trail specifically, though I've done many similar hikes / distances and the route guides I included at the bottom were made by folks who have done them before. My feet tend to handle hikes like this just fine, but I've been with folks who've struggled with that too. Training beforehand helps a lot - not just because it strengthens your body but also because you gain a better appreciation for what feels normal and what doesn't. One of the nice things about these sorts of established trails is that they have a lot of support for different folks, with plenty of guesthouses and buses available.

I understand your concern about the Tsugizakura-to-Kumano-Hongu section in particular, but one thing to consider is that there are three routes available to get to Kumano-Hangu, one being 21.5 km, one is 17 km, and the other only 7.5 km. One idea might be splitting up the group for that section, so that some folks can do the full 8-11 hour hike while the others can have a chill cultural day:

quote:

WALK KUMANO KODO - HOSSHINMON-OJI TO KUMANO HONGU TAISHA

Distance: ~7.5 km
Time: 2~3 hr
Elevation Gain: ~190 m
Elevation Loss: ~460 m

The section from Hosshinmon-oji and Hongu is popular with a diversity of forested trail and settlement scenery. This a good option to give more time to experience the shrines and sites in Hongu. Take a local bus from Chikatsuyu-oji to Hosshimon-oji.

https://www.kumano-travel.com/en/model-itineraries/4-days-E1-kumano-kodo-trek-nakahechi

Another accessible travel guide is LonelyPlanet, which also has some good advice about seasonal changes and detour activities. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/amp/articles/hiking-the-kumano-kodo-japans-ancient-pilgrimage-route

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it seems like my best bet is to bail at Hosshinmon-oji, depending on the time it takes me to do Tsugizakura-Hosshinmon. If it’s 6pm or later by the time I get to Hosshinmon, I’ll have to call it - it’s too late to do the rest. I’ll also be wiped.

I want those stamps though. Dammit.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished my Telluride hike. Did the lower Bridal Falls to Blue Lake and back. I was early enough that I did the entire route out and halfway back before I saw another soul. It was lovely.

8,950 to 12,220 feet
10.23 miles
I’m calling this a personal best!

Also I saw a pika.

I told myself if I pulled it off I’d start planning my first 14er so here we are baby.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Morbus posted:

Well for starters, sketchy alpine anchors you use to rap off a crumbling pile of slate are totally bombproof canyoneering anchors. (I'm half joking but my wife took me someplace this year in Death Valley that I nicknamed Gift Shop Canyon because every other handhold, foothold, and anchor was a souvenir). Sandstone and mudrock is what you're working with most of the time, so, yeah.

If you're a competent trad climber and start out with easier stuff that you've got good beta on, you should be fine and have a blast. Definitely stick with dry (or at least not too wet) stuff first. Some of the techniques and gear are different than in rock climbing. A lot of these differences won't matter if you're just doing some easy and short single pitch rappels in a grade 3 canyon. One issue is that if you can't finish and need to get back out of the canyon the way you came in, you may need to use rope ascending systems and techniques that may not be familiar to you. This is often a blind spot for people coming from trad. It's also one area where trad climbing/alpine kit may be inadequate.

You can probably read some books and be in good shape. As with anything, taking some courses, joining a club, or going with more experienced people is the best way to transition to a new discipline. There are a shitload of guide services in Utah, if you want to go that route.

trip report in Utah:

Fry Canyon - mostly class 2 other than a 60-70ft rappel; beautiful pools of water in the orange canyon
Leprechaun Canyon, the east fork - known to be the easiest of the three forks, this has a full mile of technical canyoneering such as a handful of 10-15 foot ropeless down climbs in narrow areas and a few rappels not exceeding 50ft. overall the most intimidating but satisfying of the trip
Blarney Canyon - located half a mile away from Lep, this was an easier and quicker route
Ding & Dang Canyon - a class 2 with fascinating geologic formations. ropes are already set up for steep parts which I gladly used.

overall my verdict is that those with a year or two of trad experience and gnarly hikes/rock scrambling under their belt could try some class 2 or easy class 3 canyons. BlueGnome proved to be an excellent resource.

interesting you mention Death Valley, as when me and my partner left Utah we were sad to leave all these canyons and return to California which of course is plentiful in many ways but not canyoneering. however, Death Valley in particular did come up as a potential place for future trips. "crumbly" certainly does come to mind when I think of DV!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, I’ve locked it in. I’m gonna start titrating to a walk-only commute as of 7/3. Cutting out one subway stop for two weeks, then two subway stops for two weeks, then three for two weeks, then all walking until mid-October. Makes it something like a 1h15m walk from home to office. What truly bugs me is getting up earlier to make it to work :airquote:on time:airquote:, but I’ll deal with it I guess.

I also am only in the office for 3 days of the week, so in exchange both my morning and afternoon commute will be walking.

Seems like this will be enough to get me at least halfway to handling the Kumano Kodo as discussed above, and then from there I can add other walks as necessary.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I really miss my walking commutes. Granted mine was much less than that.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but make sure you have some comfortable shoes if you're walking that much. Hiking boots will wear down faster on pavement, so personally I'd wear something like a normal running shoe. But whatever you're comfortable with and won't give you blisters.

Podcasts and walking commutes are a great pair.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

Well, I’ve locked it in. I’m gonna start titrating to a walk-only commute as of 7/3. Cutting out one subway stop for two weeks, then two subway stops for two weeks, then three for two weeks, then all walking until mid-October. Makes it something like a 1h15m walk from home to office. What truly bugs me is getting up earlier to make it to work :airquote:on time:airquote:, but I’ll deal with it I guess.

I also am only in the office for 3 days of the week, so in exchange both my morning and afternoon commute will be walking.

Seems like this will be enough to get me at least halfway to handling the Kumano Kodo as discussed above, and then from there I can add other walks as necessary.

I would definitely second the “comfortable walking sneakers over boots” advice for training.

Also, you’re in Metro Boston. If you’re amenable to it, get yourself a legal weed oil vape pen and it’ll make your summertime walking commutes 100% more enjoyable/magical

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you train in sneakers (which I would), just be sure you've still broken in the boots and worn them a bit before the hike. You don't want to get a blister right away because your feet aren't used to them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I will repeat/amend: you should have a comfy pair of sneakers for walking on pavement/in the airport/in the hotel/etc, a good pair of hiking boots that have been fitted and chosen appropriately and that support you properly and that have been broken in for about ~1-2 weeks, and ideally a light pair of sandals for all of the times that pop up when you will want to wear sandals instead of laced shoes.

Also worth packing stuff like athletic tape, band-aids, and there’s this stuff commonly referred to as “mole skin” (not the trendy notebooks, more like a foam/textile-based adhesive-backed fake skin that you can put over your heel/ball/big toe/ankle/etc to protect a hot spot and stop it from blistering) that’s commonly found cheap in many pharmacies and definitely online.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Nothing beats being able to stop halfway through a hike after you notice a sore spot forming and actually reach into your bag (this is why you carry a daypack if you don’t need to bring your frame backpack along) and deal with the problem proactively instead of having to do the rest of your hike while trying to micromanage your gait and toe position and poo poo in a futile attempt to stave off the inevitable blistering that you feel happening in real time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Duct tape works well in a pinch to deal with hot spots to reduce friction on your skin.

But yes, I'll repeat not to wear out your boots by training on pavement but you'll definitely want to start using them a few weeks before your hike to break them in. Even just wearing them around the house will help.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Walking to work will be great I think. It may not be the perfect optimized training regimen, but like... to a person who routinely walks 6 miles, a 12 mile hike will probably be a moderate but very doable challenge. You can train hard to make it a piece of cake, but if you don't want to disrupt your life that much, I think walk commuting and maybe the occasional stair climb or weekend hill hike will be fine. It'll get you to a place where the real hike will be a fun challenge rather than a miserable slog. Plus walk commuting owns

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Verman posted:

Duct tape works well in a pinch to deal with hot spots to reduce friction on your skin.

They make low-adhesive/“removable”/“non-marking”/“residue free” versions that are so much better for this than standard DT, but yeah how could I forget.

OP bring a little duct tape anyway. It’s great to have in case a backpack or luggage item fails or you gotta emergency patch a break in a shoe or you need to lash something to something else in a pinch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have some Sauconys, no explicit hiking boots yet. Dad and I are gonna go shopping when he’s around in July.

Good call on the med supplies!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would definitely second the “comfortable walking sneakers over boots” advice for training.

Also, you’re in Metro Boston. If you’re amenable to it, get yourself a legal weed oil vape pen and it’ll make your summertime walking commutes 100% more enjoyable/magical

Trust me weed and I are not a good combination. Things…change.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

liz posted:

Same same same. I was down in the Smokies a couple weeks ago and did an 8-10 mile day hike and it was that happiest I’ve felt in awhile… A solid day of hiking is such a natural high. I don’t know why I live in a major city and am considering moving somewhere I could easily hike on a regular basis. Anyone ever move to be closer to nature? I’m partial to the west coast and got spoiled by the Sierras but I’d love to see the Cascades as well…

sincerely,
an unhappy city dweller

This is me. I've been in Chicago / New York for the last 9 years, and I am so excited to be moving to Seattle. I can actually see trees from my new place!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

They make low-adhesive/“removable”/“non-marking”/“residue free” versions that are so much better for this than standard DT, but yeah how could I forget.

The common brand actually targeted at stopping blister formation is leukotape.

If it's too late and you got a blister, what we do is to dab a sliver of neosporin on it and then put the leukotape on, it keeps it from adhering to the blister and causing problems when pulling the tape off.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Safety Dance posted:

This is me. I've been in Chicago / New York for the last 9 years, and I am so excited to be moving to Seattle. I can actually see trees from my new place!

Please tell me how you did it lol I’m also in Chicago and know that I need more nature to be actually happy, but figuring out an entire life change is… a lot.

Man, you’re going to be surrounded by so much…Cascades, Olympic, Rainier! The PNW is like a playground to me. Enjoy!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Trail runners over boots all day

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

liz posted:

Please tell me how you did it lol I’m also in Chicago and know that I need more nature to be actually happy, but figuring out an entire life change is… a lot.

Man, you’re going to be surrounded by so much…Cascades, Olympic, Rainier! The PNW is like a playground to me. Enjoy!

If you want to do what I did, marry a doctor*. We did medical school in Chicago, residency in NYC, and now fellowship in Seattle. I'm going to do my best to convince her we want to stay in the PNW long term, but it depends on if she likes it and where she lands a job after fellowship.

* This may not be actionable advice, and there are many downsides inherent to being married to a doctor

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

liz posted:

The trick to finding some outdoor joy in Chicago is to learn to enjoy prairie and accept the fact that you're gonna have to drive into northern wisconsin or the UP several times a year if you want forest hikes.. maybe even minnesota.

DuPage county has some excellent preserves if all you can do is a short drive, if you can do an hour or more the options open up. Nachusa prairie is my favorite escape lately.

Kettle Moraine has some lovely segments as well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

If you want to do what I did, marry a doctor*. We did medical school in Chicago, residency in NYC, and now fellowship in Seattle. I'm going to do my best to convince her we want to stay in the PNW long term, but it depends on if she likes it and where she lands a job after fellowship.

* This may not be actionable advice, and there are many downsides inherent to being married to a doctor

Yeah, the residency match system and the inability to say no thanks to a program once matched, is fun and great :shepface:

e: don't want to forget how nice it is to be left alone with a 6 month old baby for 2 months because the program has a required away rotation

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Papes posted:

Trail runners over boots all day

Seconded. That route looks extremely walkable in normal trainers and boots will probably cause more issues than they solve for you if you don’t break them in really well.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Safety Dance posted:

Can confirm both that this works and that the caveat is accurate. DC to Denver was worth it though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Breaking in boots is a good idea, but it's much less of a problem than it used to be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

alnilam posted:

Yeah, the residency match system and the inability to say no thanks to a program once matched, is fun and great :shepface:

e: don't want to forget how nice it is to be left alone with a 6 month old baby for 2 months because the program has a required away rotation

We got so lucky and my wife got her first choice for both residency and fellowship, and we put baby-having on hold until the end of residency. It's still a rough lifestyle, absolutely.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I'm very proud of my wife and was happy to do it all, just wanted to commiserate with a fellow resident-spouse

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Safety Dance posted:

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

I did the same thing 7 years ago after living in chicago for 10 years. The decision to move to Seattle was the single best decision I've ever made in my life. Housing is stupid expensive but my quality of life skyrocketed once I had the access to world class nature. I love the balmy gloomy weather in the winter compared to midwest snow/ice. Summers here are perfection. Smoke sucks in the late summer but it comes with the territory. We have endless options for outdoor activities out here it can almost be overwhelming. Get all your Italian beefs and good hot dogs out of your system because you wont find them here.

When do you move?

I hope you're able to make the drive out because if you haven't been through that part of the country before, its cool to see. Substitute stopping at yellowstone and instead go to glacier or tetons.

liz posted:

I don’t know why I live in a major city and am considering moving somewhere I could easily hike on a regular basis. Anyone ever move to be closer to nature? I’m partial to the west coast and got spoiled by the Sierras but I’d love to see the Cascades as well…

I completely missed this comment but I can give you my 2 cents. Sorry for the :words:

I grew up in Michigan camping and whatnot with my family, my step dad was a hunter so we were outdoors a lot. He really helped me find my love for the woods. My step sister moved out to Seattle like .. 20+ years ago. I visited for the first time when I was in highschool and it blew my mind. We went white water rafting in oregon. We hiked to Rachel Lake in the cascades where I stood in snow in July. We drove out to the olympic mountains and the pacific ocean. I liked that the houses and trees all looked different than the midwest. The mountains were super intriguing to me, maybe because I didn't have any in Michigan, but I just wanted to be there. I would visit a few more times over the years.

I went to Chicago for design school and being a graphic designer, I needed to be in a city for work, plus it was only 3 hours from home. I lived there for 10 years (college and post college) because my social network was there and it was easy to keep working in the advertising/design world. I ate a lot of great food and went out to bars a lot. My only real outdoor activity was cycilng but I didn't really enjoy it but there just aren't a lot of remote outdoor/wilderness opportunities around Chicago. I would drive up to the UP of michigan every fall to camp/bird hunt with my step dad which was my big yearly trip but its a 6+ hour drive to mildly interesting terrain.

It might have been 2010 when my buddy and I were talking about how we both had always wanted to do a rugged mountain backpacking trip so we booked flights to colorado that night. With no mountain or backpacking experience, we did our first trip in rocky mountain NP and it blew our minds. We learned a lot and got better every trip after that. From that point on I was hooked and I needed more frequent access to the outdoors. My wife is from the Chicago area so I wasn't sure how keen she would be on leaving.

Fast forward a few years I kept flying out to do hiking trips every year or so, mostly in Colorado and Washington state. The cost and logistics of planning a trip with several people were always pretty daunting and getting people to commit was tricky. My wife-to-be came with on a trip to Seattle and enjoyed it. At one point after we were married, we discussed leaving Chicago and we both agreed on two things, we would need a city due to our professions, but we both wanted easy access to the outdoors. She enjoys hiking but doesn't like camping/backpacking so day trips have to be possible. There's not a lot of places in the US with those overlaps. Denver and Seattle made the short list. We visited both for a week each just driving through neighborhoods and seeing what each area had to offer. We would go to neighborhoods, hikes in the regions etc. My wife preferred Seattle, plus my sister was in Seattle with two kids.

In May 2015, we were both on the same page about moving and just needed a push to make it happen. We were done with Chicago, it was great but we wanted something new. We were on my wife's work incentive trip where she met the GM of their seattle hotel who liked her so much they offered her a job and a generous relocation package. We were shocked, took it obviously, and we moved out here in August 2015. I would just find a new job when we got out here. They packed and shipped all of our belongings, but we opted to take a week and drive out, stopping at badlands, mt rushmore, yellowstone, missoula etc. Apartments were tough to find. It was expensive compared to chicago and competitive. I spent a full month looking for places. Thankfully part of the relocation was staying in the hotel until we found an apartment.

It does take a lot of courage to uproot your life and move away from the things you know. I'm the kind of person who usually thinks moving across the country would be a herculean task but people do it every day. Its not impossible. You just need to look at your life and prioritize whats important to you and take measurable actions to make it happen. I would suggest vacationing somewhere you want to live first. Rent an air bnb in a prospective neighborhood/town and avoid a hotel. Get a feel for the coffee shops and restaurants. Go for hikes/bikes/paddles. Drive/walk around just looking at things. If it seems like somewhere you want to live, look at housing prices/rent, job prospects etc and start saving/planning. For me, I realized I wasn't happy living where I was and wanted to try living somewhere with access to mountains. If I didn't make that decision, I would live with that regret every day of my life. Its very easy to say "not today, maybe next year" and a decade goes by. Plus, if it doesn't work out and you don't enjoy it, you can always move back.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
- Wayne Gretzky
- Michael Scott

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 22, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Verman posted:

When do you move?

I hope you're able to make the drive out because if you haven't been through that part of the country before, its cool to see. Substitute stopping at yellowstone and instead go to glacier or tetons.

Monday!

I wish I could make a proper road trip out of it, but my wife is flying over with our four month old and I'm following in the car with our cats. I hate the idea of leaving them in the car for any period of time, even if the weather is agreeable. I might stop at Theodore Roosevelt NP for some photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
I’ll be out East in Rhode Island the next couple weeks, any suggestions for good hiking around there? We’re open to driving to different states for a few days and my loose plan was to possibly do Katahdin in Maine. However, I’m open to anything with mountains!