Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anybody know if there’s a simple standalone (non-OBDII) head up display for stuff like navigation and lane departure warning? Digital/numerical GPS speedometer would also be nice but not required.

It just seems like everything available is :rice: and a lot more than I would ever need or want in my direct field of vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody know if there’s a simple standalone (non-OBDII) head up display for stuff like navigation and lane departure warning? Digital/numerical GPS speedometer would also be nice but not required.
It shouldn't be that hard to do something like pipe Google Maps notifications to another display if you're savvy. I was actually working on a little box and program to do this and some other stuff and put it on the little instrument cluster display in my e34. I forget why I stopped, so thanks for reminding me. Aftermarket lane departure sounds like a nightmare.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That's one scenario where buying a new car makes so much more sense. Nearly every single Toyota has those as standard features, and they actually work pretty well.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Yes, but then you’re in a new Toyota. I prefer my old Toyota.

None of this is anywhere near a ‘need’. Even the lane departure is just something that would be kind of nice, and I know some dashcams have it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your lane departure warning is the car you crushed like a can making a *ping* sound under your wheels. You might feel a light vibration in the steering wheel too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Which, if any, of the steering wheel control adapters will work with the Atoto/Joying HUs?

I'm thinking about the S8 QLED for the LX470, but really don't like their strap on remote option.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Which, if any, of the steering wheel control adapters will work with the Atoto/Joying HUs?
Either Metra or Scosche's steering wheel control adapters should work just fine. They don't have installation instructions for every model of car ever made so you might kind of have to wing it, but I'm sure you can find something close enough to copy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah they appear to be pretty good about compatibility, my Joying unit had about 3 different protocols you could use via a jumper. I left it on the default and it worked in the Volvo with a crux adapter. As long as it gets the signal you tell it what function to use for that signal.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Yep. Even the base settings like using 24 hour time and time zone were reset. The SD card is recognized and loaded.

I did a basic reinstall of the apps and partially set them up and I'm noticing that it boots a lot faster now, right into where it was when I shut the car off. I wonder if I had something corrupted or conflicting that needed to be flushed. That or it did a forced update.

It kept the steering wheel control button assignments for some reason, and fortunately the SD card was untouched and lost no data which has 100% of the music, and playlists on it, so I got those back. In reality it only took me about 20 minutes to set it up again, which wasn't great but not enough to drive me to pull it out.

It gets one more chance.

So this hard reset must have corrected something I did during setup because ever since it did it the unit has worked really well. Like the only thing that has gone wrong is that my background switcher app changed the resolution randomly. I went in and set it back to native and otherwise it fires up with the key almost instantly and starts playing as soon as I hit play. No full reboots, no weirdness or refreshing the library or anything. So I can say I'm happy. I'm still dialing in the settings, the tweeters with my new polk components are super harsh and not mellowing as I use them. I'm just worried about dialing back too much treble because I don't want things to sound muddy. A 30 band EQ is not necessarily a good thing in this case. I have to do a lot of adjusting. But that's half the fun as well. It also has different bass boost characteristics than my old Kenwood which makes the bass a little too tightly centered on one frequency. Still dialing that in too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is there a current new decent cheap double din car play deck out? I have had that hikitty in my cart for like 6 months and it’s down to $70. I’ve got a camper coming with the double sun removed where it had a Japanese nav head in there need to put something decent. But it can be a dumb double deck that’s fine but if this would be alright by consensus might as well stuff a
CarPlay one in there

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I picked up a '97 C-Class and in the interest of keeping it original looking I'd like to leave the original tape deck in/mod in a bluetooth module to replace the CD changer controls and input. That said, since the deck is fairly underpowered I'll need a high level to line level converter. Is there any consensus or opinion on which ones are good/bad etc? Ideally 4 channel to 4 channel or 4 channel to 4 channel plus subwoofer output (for later on)

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I've been really happy with AudioControl, though I'm just using a 2 channel model with the optional bass knob to get sub signal from my rear speakers. 2 channel plus sub output is $99, the LC6i is $169.99 and does six channels.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2IB/AudioControl-LC2i-Black.html

The bass knob uses regular RJ11 telephone wire to connect back to the converter.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I ordered a Spotify car thing it is here. I am thinking I will just use it hooked to my 80s/90s era receiver and equipment in the house.

Will post when I open it up it’s here I’ve just got a lot of packages to go through. Anyone have one?

Opened the box not sure I want to mess with it today

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 16, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

everdave posted:

I ordered a Spotify car thing it is here. I am thinking I will just use it hooked to my 80s/90s era receiver and equipment in the house.

Will post when I open it up it’s here I’ve just got a lot of packages to go through. Anyone have one?

Opened the box not sure I want to mess with it today

Yeah I got one back during the invite/beta thing.

Honestly I liked it a lot. Then I upgraded my unit to an in-dash 7" Android Auto unit.

I still like the Car Thing better. If you use Spotify a lot it's a no brainer.

However, just so you're aware - all it does is act as a controller for your phone. Your phone is what has to be hooked up to whatever stereo you're playing. The Car Thing itself doesn't produce any audio.

Which is obviously not an issue in a car, but if you're hooking it up to a local stereo you'll need to have your phone connected to that stereo via aux or bluetooth (via aux adapter since yours is old).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I got one back during the invite/beta thing.

Honestly I liked it a lot. Then I upgraded my unit to an in-dash 7" Android Auto unit.

I still like the Car Thing better. If you use Spotify a lot it's a no brainer.

However, just so you're aware - all it does is act as a controller for your phone. Your phone is what has to be hooked up to whatever stereo you're playing. The Car Thing itself doesn't produce any audio.

Which is obviously not an issue in a car, but if you're hooking it up to a local stereo you'll need to have your phone connected to that stereo via aux or bluetooth (via aux adapter since yours is old).

No please tell me that is wrong, yes I’m 100% Spotify fiend. I have to plug my phone in? If so this is going in the garbage that can’t be right? I can’t open tonight I hope that is wrong but thank you I’ll see…dang it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

everdave posted:

No please tell me that is wrong, yes I’m 100% Spotify fiend. I have to plug my phone in? If so this is going in the garbage that can’t be right? I can’t open tonight I hope that is wrong but thank you I’ll see…dang it

Yes there's no aux or audio output *from* the Car Thing. It merely acts as the controller for your phone.

It's meant to be used in the car (obviously hence the name) so that's not really an issue.

But using it as a home stereo controller obviously would be.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That is, in fairness, how head units with Android Auto and Carplay work, too.

They're just handy "second monitors" that directly connect to a traditional head unit and trigger your phone to send the video and inputs via that.

IDK if the Spotify unit has navigation

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

That is, in fairness, how head units with Android Auto and Carplay work, too.

They're just handy "second monitors" that directly connect to a traditional head unit and trigger your phone to send the video and inputs via that.

IDK if the Spotify unit has navigation

Well, not quite.

Android Auto/CarPlay units do get the audio (and video) signal from your phone, and probably stuff like maps data etc so they can display it - but the key feature with AA/Carplay is that it doesn't use the phone's lovely DAC or shittier headphone amp to get the audio signal out. It gets a digital audio signal from the phone at whatever bitrate the source is pumping out, and then uses the DAC on the car play unit to convert it to an analogue signal for the amp (either the built-in amp or via RCAs on the back if you're running separates).

This is a huge advantage over bluetooth, as most head units only support lossier formats such as aptx or SBC at best. I once compared the sound quality coming from spotify (which is already compressed even on the highest quality setting) on the built in head unit in a 2018 Hyundai Tucson via bluetooth vs android auto, and it was actually significant - and this is a factory head unit, not a $400 Alpine or Pioneer with good quality DACs. If you're using lossless audio sources like ALAC/FLAC, Tidal's audiophile tier or similar, it's going to be even more pronounced. Aux in still requires the phone's audio hardware which is not going to be as good as even a factory head unit these days (as most of them are contracted out to someone like Clarion, JBL, H&K etc), and also you kinda want to be able to charge your phone in the car. Cool if you have a wireless cradle, but that's still $50 you could have put towards some speakers or a better head unit.

Bluetooth is fine for most, as road noise and the actual listening environment in a car means you're not really going to notice that much difference - but if you're bothering to upgrade parts of your system in the first place, you'd be a little nuts to not go AA/CP these days, as it's a huge baseline improvement in quality.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 17, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So I can’t Bluetooth to the car thing? Well I spend an insane amount of time buying anything reading reviews I got a $20 off email on this and played the wicker. Good lesson to learn

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

everdave posted:

So I can’t Bluetooth to the car thing? Well I spend an insane amount of time buying anything reading reviews I got a $20 off email on this and played the wicker. Good lesson to learn

I mean yes it connects to your phone via Bluetooth.

But that's just for the control function.

You connect to the car thing via Bluetooth then from your phone to your car via aux from phone or Bluetooth as well.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

There’s also nothing stopping you from using an old phone and hooking the whole mess up to your stereo. Would still be a super-neat solution.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

There’s also nothing stopping you from using an old phone and hooking the whole mess up to your stereo. Would still be a super-neat solution.

Will post about it just not in the mood to tackle it today, I have old phones will see I do hope this works

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So the original idea was to use the stock cassette deck in my old C class but this came up on auction and I couldn't pass it up. It's wild how hard it is to find a black single DIN deck with orange backlight with an aux input and preouts. Will definitely be googling plastic polishing DIY youtube videos though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy oldschool. I never knew Nakamichi made aftermarket head units.

e: looking at the specs, that's a damned impressive head unit for 20+ years ago! There's a lot on the market today that don't have 3 sets of RCAs, especially @ 4V (my late model Android Auto JVC only has two sets of RCAs @ 2V).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 21, 2022

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

STR posted:

Holy oldschool. I never knew Nakamichi made aftermarket head units.

e: looking at the specs, that's a damned impressive head unit for 20+ years ago! There's a lot on the market today that don't have 3 sets of RCAs, especially @ 4V (my late model Android Auto JVC only has two sets of RCAs @ 2V).

Right? I was also surprised, this is the 40z, the one above it, the 45z has an extra aux input as well which would have been nice but I can deal with a single one for a Bluetooth module. Finding this sent me down a rabbit hole and ended up reading about the CD-700 they made which is wild, no power output, only a preamp, with an entirely separate dc to dc module. That said, they apparently still sell for $1k used 🫠

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
What's the general consensus on a decent mid-high range headunit these days??I've had a bunch of awesome stereos in all my cars but it has been about 12 years since I've build a system because I lost my automotive ADD and everything I've owned has been "good enough", aka has bluetooth and decent enough sound quality.
I fully understand that I am generalizing and perhaps mis-remembering. Back in the day, Pioneer was the way to go, or you could get an Alpine unit if you hated money. Kenwood and Sony were alright, and everything else was pretty much either crap or very unit dependent. Kenwood units had some strange EQ they would overlay on their mid range units, and you had to step up to Excelion stuff to get decent quality. JVC had annoying loudness controls that either overly boosted bass or too quiet unless you cranked it. I've always liked the feature set and price point of the mid-range Pioneer stuff, but they do not sell a double din unit that has a drat volume knob. Lack of volume knob was probably my number 1 gripe about my last stereo I had in my A6 for like 10 years.
It seems like the main manufacturers pared down their offerings to like 4 things each, and there is a tsunami of no name units that look like they fit the bill but I have no way of actually comparing the relative quality of these hundreds of near identical units
help me look plz

What I would love:
Good sound quality above all else
Single DIN with a display that isn't a crappy looking 8-segment LCD OR double DIN WITH A VOLUME KNOB (oldmanyellsatcloud.png)
I don't really care about Apple Carplay/Android Auto
2 or 3 channel RCA output
less than $400

Aside from the head unit, I'll be having:

Infinity Kappa components (havent decided on two way to three way yet)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZG8BFT/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A32QR6D7S73KI&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076T2SVHQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A1M2AR6046TFJG&psc=1
Rockford Fosgate Amp(s?) Either a two channel and a mono for sub or a four channel with rear channels bridged, depends on how dumb I want to get
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6I0RS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A3L9U1CL0L7Y4P&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF6HZ7E/ref=emc_b_5_t
A 12" Rockford Fosgate Sub (maybe two 10s? Probably just a 12)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UFHXOM/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=AQH2A184LSYJ8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Z9BGGT/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A1FGJTEMQOV9RC&th=1

Pretty set on the speaker setup, as Infinity has always been my preferred 'signature sound' for automotive equipment.
All of this is going into an 01 Sierra Extended cab

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I just dove in to the generic chinese android world and I haven't got it to sound as good as the 15 year old Kenwood Excelon it replaced yet. I think I'll get it there but I'm not recommending them quite yet.

I did however want to offer an alternative subwoofer. These sundown audio punch way above their weight. Subwoofer nerds love them because they're low cost due to no frills but very high quality. I just got this exact one for my wagon and it is definitely loud as gently caress. I'm driving it with the 300w sub output on an alpine 5 channel amp and it's pretty impressive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FVXX9YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kappas are great, I ran them in one car and my only complaint was how bright the tweeters were. I actually ran negative treble in the eq to balance it out. I'm having the same problem with the current gen Polk DB series, I had the last generation in a previous car and loved them. I also love that add-on midrange speaker for the infinitys, I've never seen that before. My convertible is set up for a 3 way component set so I need that.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 23, 2022

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I had a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6x9s with the weird rear end tweeters in the package tray of my '66 Bel-Air in high school. They were a little bright but sounded awesome and had no problem dealing with a teenager with poor volume control.

Don't forget the DSP!

E: for that bass budget I'd get a SoundQubed HDX3 and a Taramps Smart 3 Bass but I'm an idiot.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 23, 2022

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Taramps Smart 3 Bass but I'm an idiot.

I completely refuse to believe that a $299 on amazon amp that claims it produces 3000 watts RMS is capable of doing so for any extended period of time or at a reasonable THD

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

intheflesh posted:

I completely refuse to believe that a $299 on amazon amp that claims it produces 3000 watts RMS is capable of doing so for any extended period of time or at a reasonable THD
At 2 ohm they're slightly under, at 1 ohm they're plenty over at 1% THD. The parts are fine, and it's better protected than most 3k half-bridges. These type of amps take a lot fewer parts so they're also cheaper to make. They are slightly more vulnerable to blowing up from (e: PEOPLE) doing dumb poo poo like shorting the outputs to the case, but you can just not do that if you want. You also don't get the classic 100% markup from the retailer that you used to. This is much closer to what these things should actually cost, not fuckin 50 cents/watt.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 24, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
These aren’t rocket ship parts if you are like me, high school in early 90’s, seeing what amps and power you can get for a few hundred bucks is crazy. There are YouTube reviewers galore who pour o er these and tear them down. I have no interest in boomin anymore but love watching that crap

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lookup videos on YT of people testing amps on amp dynos. The Taramps stuff typically surprises. I have a couple other small amps on my list that punch above their weight. One of them is a WalMart Dual of all things. Two of them, actually - a 2-channel and a 4-channel that actual produce their rated output for a Walmart price. Sadly, I think both are discontinued.

Sony makes or made a double DIN unit that had an actual volume knob. I went with an Alpine - their cheapest-with-CarPlay. I’m on my mobile, so don’t have the model number handy, but I believe it’s still current. A mechless unit that can pair with a nifty piggyback amp that makes it as a package almost as big as a double DIN with an optical drive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

everdave posted:

I have no interest in boomin anymore but love watching that crap

Same - SMD - Steve Meade Designs is a worthwhile follow for fellow former trunk rattlers.https://stevemeadedesigns.com/home/

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
SMD is the real OG
I remember back when I was starting to care about stereos and he was building his Civic sedan with two 18s which was just absurd. I think that was on the RF forums lol

I've watched a few reviews and amp dyno tests, and I guess taramps are legit. Maybe I'm just old, but it's hard to not have these kind of amps ring the alarm bells of teenagers with computers in the early 2000s overclocking the poo poo out of computers. Sure you hit 4ghz on mom's celeron, but can it play a game for more than 10 minutes? Like yeah this will do 3000 watts, but will it do that at low thd the entire 8 hour drive? I guess I'm just really wary of wandering into the realm of instagram 'stars' who build 10cuft plywood boxes in their tahoes and throw 10k watts at it to have the highest SPL number that week, only to blow up half their setup
Maybe I am too old

Looks like Nothing double din has a volume knob in Alpine's current lineup, maybe I'll troll craigslist

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We all know that the Ultimate Force in amp teardown and review is Big D over at WillestonAudioLabs

Sure, the dyno he uses was built by SMD, but I challenge you to find someone else on youtube who manages to test more amps - including weird poo poo, cheap poo poo, big brand halo stuff, and the odd 40 year old Orion Cheater Amp. He even did a couple of aliexpress-grade pcb amps which was how I discovered him in the first place, when I was looking at grabbing one to play with. Plus he's an absolute crack up.

https://www.youtube.com/c/bigdwiz

It's the Big D you deserve.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit, guess I'm going down that rabbit hole tonight.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Barevids also has some good car audio videos if you like amp guts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Don Dongington posted:

We all know that the Ultimate Force in amp teardown and review is Big D over at WillestonAudioLabs

Sure, the dyno he uses was built by SMD, but I challenge you to find someone else on youtube who manages to test more amps - including weird poo poo, cheap poo poo, big brand halo stuff, and the odd 40 year old Orion Cheater Amp. He even did a couple of aliexpress-grade pcb amps which was how I discovered him in the first place, when I was looking at grabbing one to play with. Plus he's an absolute crack up.

https://www.youtube.com/c/bigdwiz

It's the Big D you deserve.

Yeah, he's the guy I was talking about vis a vis amp dyno testing.
Here's the wee Taramps test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zAe7JuPoXM

He also tested the $10 @ Walmart Blaupunkt. I bought 4 of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBEk9VPsix4
They're not $10 any more, but still pretty cheap.

A different channel tested the Dual amps that actually hit advertised power:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBW9BLZ7RM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23CVp1nczoM

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Update on the Motorola wireless Android Auto dongle.

Have had zero connection issues, but for one circumstance: high temperatures. When the car is very hot, it just never connects. If I cool it down by putting it in the A/C air stream, I can get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
Well thanks for reminding me that BIG D exists. Love his content, but I had only ever seen him in the context of old skool stuff. I guess it is still just shocking to me how far the low end of the market has come in the past twenty years. In high school there was a pretty solid stereo scene, and there were two camps: the guys who subscribed to "buy once cry once", some with daddy's money some with their own; and the guys who would plow through 5 amps and 8 woofers every semester because they bought the low end stuff and it would die very quickly and never meet any advertised claims.
Perhaps the overlap between people who:
1) buy the cheapest stuff and
2) won't buy the proper install gear in terms of wire gauge (we had a guy who used CAT5 for everything including tripling it up for power cable because that's the box of cable his dad had in the garage) and
3) never properly set gains and levels and just crank it and send it
is pretty large.

Aside from the WICKED SICK MONSTER ENERGY 110% ERXTREME branding, I'm feeling pretty good about Skar amps. What am I missing here, would this be stupid to run the front channels then have the rears bridged to a 12"?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXSU756/ref=ox_sc_act_title_12?smid=A2JVCW1GQY516A&psc=1
Should I be wary of anything that claims OEN THOUS AND WATTS in the same context that one be wary of anything or anyone claiming FHAVE HUNNERT HERSEPWOWERS?

intheflesh fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 28, 2022