Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ajon posted:

This announcement by a local brewery made me think of this thread

Use less coconut.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Both my part-time jobs are having niche problems and I'm on lunch break at one trying to troubleshoot the other and all I want to do is tell both that I've run out of fucks to give and they should just work it out amongst themselves.

I also hear plenty of that "hurr durr nobody wants to work" and I say nobody wants to pay benefits and I get ignored.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

McGavin posted:

At least the Germans got the 1516 purity law right.

Germany is really hit-or-miss when it comes to purity laws.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

My boss fully, totally believes that there are still a ton of enhanced unemployment and child tax credits out there in the US that are keeping people from getting jobs. He uses this as a reason why our vendors don't have enough people on staff to produce to schedule. The problem is that I've been on most of the calls with suppliers having manpower issues. They're in the middle of nowhere and have each stated they needed to raise their starting rate to be in line with Amazon to even get applications. Worth noting here is that these are companies making (largely) aluminum castings. Vendors have to be careful about who they bring on and have to develop talent so they can work in some of the more high sensitivity operations if the new people don't have experience. So until the last few weeks these places were paying people less than $15 an hour to perform some really complex tasks to produce expensive parts at insane rates during COVID and my boss thinks the reason our vendors are unable to hire is because people don't want to work.

Where I'm at, there has been a huge influx of people moving here, but what people aren't understanding is that the people who moved here already have jobs. No one is moving here so they an work at Taco Bell. There isn't enough people around to cover all the places opening up and its breaking people's minds.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Germany is really hit-or-miss when it comes to purity laws.

Diethylene glycol wine anyone?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CitizenKain posted:

Where I'm at, there has been a huge influx of people moving here, but what people aren't understanding is that the people who moved here already have jobs. No one is moving here so they an work at Taco Bell. There isn't enough people around to cover all the places opening up and its breaking people's minds.

For the first time in the 11 years I've lived in this city all the food/retail chains in the area are putting out "now hiring" signs and advertising above our state's minimum wage ($13/hr presently). We're at full employment in the state and mostly across the country and businesses that thought they could just exploit the labor market are slowly realizing labor has the power for the first time in a long time. Inflation hitting before anyone could actually demand better pay has led to a bunch places just throwing out better numbers hoping they can stay open their normal hours by attracting people to either work there instead of some place just down the road offering slightly better money for the same level of work. It's great to see labor be in the driver's seat for once, even if I probably won't see much of a raise next year due to the "shifting market." It's very hard for people I work with to understand that we wouldn't have jobs at all if we kept paying the bottom 95% of the country starvation wages as you can't afford to fly if you make $7.25 an hour.

TacticalHoodie posted:

I think they were thinking of pre 1939 German Purity here.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TacticalHoodie posted:

That was the Austrians.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lazyfire posted:

For the first time in the 11 years I've lived in this city all the food/retail chains in the area are putting out "now hiring" signs and advertising above our state's minimum wage ($13/hr presently). We're at full employment in the state and mostly across the country and businesses that thought they could just exploit the labor market are slowly realizing labor has the power for the first time in a long time. Inflation hitting before anyone could actually demand better pay has led to a bunch places just throwing out better numbers hoping they can stay open their normal hours by attracting people to either work there instead of some place just down the road offering slightly better money for the same level of work. It's great to see labor be in the driver's seat for once, even if I probably won't see much of a raise next year due to the "shifting market." It's very hard for people I work with to understand that we wouldn't have jobs at all if we kept paying the bottom 95% of the country starvation wages as you can't afford to fly if you make $7.25 an hour.

Some fast food joints near me are advertising hiring bonuses ($300!)

Edit:. Boni? Someone is getting boned somehow, I suspect

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TacticalHoodie posted:

It was a :hitler: joke.

Lazyfire posted:

Zopotantor posted:

That was the Austrians.

That works for :hitler: too.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

TotalLossBrain posted:

then when you get hired you have to conveniently buy $300 worth of uniforms

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah, I don't think wages rising is really labor getting in the drivers seat, but more like a lot of jobs that pay like poo poo running face first into economic realities. Labor pool is slowly shrinking and inflation continues to rise, ergo the working class literally cannot afford to work a job that won't pay. It was a correction that long in the coming but it was gonna hit eventually, and I have no reason to believe that things will get better, ever.

I'm going to call the minimum wage the floor, and the "literal smallest amount of money you can spend to sustain yourself in thr shittiest, most awful way possible" the slave floor. The slave floor is well past the minimum wage floor (federally, anyway), so places still trying to pay that can't find anyone to work.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm paying mid four figures for fast food managers these days, on top of like $15k to the recruiter. It's not easy to staff, but you have to realize you aren't just competing with the restaurant across the street, you are competing with the grocery store and the best buy etc. People will go where they're paid right and treated well.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

evilpicard posted:

I'm paying mid four figures for fast food managers these days, on top of like $15k to the recruiter. It's not easy to staff, but you have to realize you aren't just competing with the restaurant across the street, you are competing with the grocery store and the best buy etc. People will go where they're paid right and treated well.

Pay the managers 20k and ditch the recruiter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheSpartacus posted:

Pay the managers 20k and ditch the recruiter.

P funny that companies need recruiters to do the job of their HR departments because all their HR people do is use automated software to filter out any good candidates.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm not big enough to have an internal recruiter, and I can't put enough of my own time into it to manage the entire pipeline for 5+ mid/senior positions per year.

About 80% of my attrition is promotions to corporate positions though so HR covers my recruiting costs.

I suppose the dumb poo poo is that we are so worried about headcount but we have no problem paying the equivalent amount to vendors.

Meme Poker Party posted:

P funny that companies need recruiters to do the job of their HR departments because all their HR people do is use automated software to filter out any good candidates.

I'm in a weird corner of my company that HR doesn't really understand.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ajon posted:

This announcement by a local brewery made me think of this thread

That's like reasonable going nuts.

I'm such a loving old man about beer.

Edit: Today I'm making a saison with some unmalted buckwheat in the mash (saisons tend to use a certain amount of unmalted grain in the bill, usually wheat or millet). It's too loving hot to brew so I'm hoping my recirc and sparge go smoothly!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 23, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jYPp9w-0Uk

Pretend I worked out how to get that video to start at 55s and still embed

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 23, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

evilpicard posted:

I'm in a weird corner of my company that HR doesn't really understand.

So you don't work in HR

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

JFC it's too hot to brew! Good thing summer is the busy season!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Holy poo poo today was loving brutal. Good thing it's only gonna get hotter and summer is the busy season!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Does the busy season get hot where you're at?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Does the busy season get hot where you're at?

Yeah. It hit 31 today and was crazy humid. Pretty sure it was around 35 during the boil. I stepped outside at around noon or so and it felt noticably cooler than inside. I'm so fried.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. It hit 31 today and was crazy humid. Pretty sure it was around 35 during the boil. I stepped outside at around noon or so and it felt noticably cooler than inside. I'm so fried.

Make an ice cream porter

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Make an ice cream porter

Nah, make a porter ice cream.

As in ice cream out of porter.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, make a porter ice cream.

As in ice cream out of porter.

Delivered by a porter ice cream porter

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mostly I just died. Buckwheat character came through in the wort at least! We'll see how much it remains in the finished beer.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Our office culture is best described as "work from home in the office" all meetings must be done on zoom (despite having meeting rooms) you are not allowed to socialize with people at any times (including lunch) and you must eat through your lunch.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Defenistrator posted:

Our office culture is best described as "work from home in the office" all meetings must be done on zoom (despite having meeting rooms) you are not allowed to socialize with people at any times (including lunch) and you must eat through your lunch.

are you in a terrible prison?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

champagne posting posted:

They already said they work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Defenistrator posted:

Are you hiring?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some of the Sheetz here in NC are advertising $15 to $16 an hour starting pay. I'm sure that number is bullshit and dependent on factors no new hire could meet. But when you look at the McDonalds offering $11 an hour, that has to make recruiting harder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thomamelas posted:

Some of the Sheetz here in NC are advertising $15 to $16 an hour starting pay. I'm sure that number is bullshit and dependent on factors no new hire could meet. But when you look at the McDonalds offering $11 an hour, that has to make recruiting harder.
Buc-ee's near where my folks live is offering $17 starting, $19 nights, and more for anyone handling food. Managers are making like $25. According to peeps I know those numbers are real too.

I never made more than $12.50 in that town and wasn't making $20 until I was a loving professional. Good for those folks!

From what I hear the local seasonal tourism employers are getting hosed because nobody wants to deal with them any more now that practically every job is $15+.

gently caress them and I hope several of my old bosses eat poo poo.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

champagne posting posted:

My wife has a co-worker stuck in this spot. All her meetings are online, but sometimes she has to go on the shop floor and put eyes on an assembly. That could also be done remotely by email and SAP, but her boss insists it has to be done in person. Meanwhile, my team hired a guy in Iowa and a lady in Puerto Rico in the last month because we are never being forced back to the office. I mean, eventually they will, but for now we are expected to be remote.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Buc-ee's near where my folks live is offering $17 starting, $19 nights, and more for anyone handling food. Managers are making like $25. According to peeps I know those numbers are real too.

I mean God bless 'em, but it's Buc-ee's. They're paying that because you clean the toilets every fifteen minutes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

I mean God bless 'em, but it's Buc-ee's. They're paying that because you clean the toilets every fifteen minutes.

I'd rather be paid to clean bathrooms every 15 minutes than every few days.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Defenistrator posted:

you must eat through your lunch.

Isn't that how lunch usually works though?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Escape From Noise posted:

Mostly I just died. Buckwheat character came through in the wort at least! We'll see how much it remains in the finished beer.

Saw this on discord, thought of your posts.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

naem
May 29, 2011

Defenistrator posted:

this was me recently too and they were super into being physically in the building together (not talking to each other ever) from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at minimum

my position had me meeting with people in different time zones so I sometimes left at 4:00 pm to drive home to get on a zoom that would run until like 7:00 local time because the building locks down, and people thought I was somehow slacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

naem posted:

this was me recently too and they were super into being physically in the building together (not talking to each other ever) from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at minimum

poo poo I had a bad job like that, it’s the company culture you see to be 8 to 5 and let us remind you, no leaving at 4:55pm. All we did was pretend fake audit reports were real to check a box. Manager did nothing all day except try to manage their house remodel, they were terrible at that too if the liens the contractors were taking out on their house that came in over the fax machine were any indication.