Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

How many times does Terry save what can be described as "the world" in Batman Beyond? There's the crossover with Justice League, the movie, and maybe fighting Kobra (which someone else could probably do, very easily, as they are collectively a bad Hydra clone) but most of the time he's just trying to clean up Gotham, which isn't really in the wheelhouse of say, a Green Lantern, a New God, a half-Thanagarian soldier, or an Atlantean
Being even more completely fair, any literate human with a single modern* popular paleontology book could probably have defeated Kobra with five minutes of talking.
*Or hell, one published after 1980

To be honest, I personally feel like Batman Beyond's failings are less that it invalidates Batman and more that it doesn't invalidate him enough. It takes the time here and there to show that not being a grim straight-faced billionaire who lives and dies by terror tactics against that subhuman breed of humans: criminals, works to Terry's advantage (that's literally one of the points of the movie), but it still doesn't really end up questioning that the best way forwards is to have some guy with fancy technology and a deeply personal grudge running around the city beating the living poo poo out of people because it is His Mission and therefore his right and responsibility to assist the police by not even being theoretically bound by laws. I realize that's not a unique failing because most superhero fiction ends up in it, but it's still there.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just imagine Terry's dad dying from a preventable disease because he went in for a vaccination shot, and instead got the batman dad shot.
On the other hand he was completely inoculated against having his wealthy parents gunned down in an alley for a string of pearls.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Batman Beyond is the only narrative in any medium brave enough to ask, what if Batman was Spiderman?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I mean Beyond gave us by far the best Batman crossover

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Batman Beyond is the only narrative in any medium brave enough to ask, what if Batman was Spiderman?

It's only fair. There were several versions of Spider-man, including 2099 and older Peter who are basically Batman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drakyn posted:

On the other hand he was completely inoculated against having his wealthy parents gunned down in an alley for a string of pearls.

Literally the opposite! That was supposed to happen!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the opposite! That was supposed to happen!
But it didn't, thereby proving that the inoculation worked!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While they still haven't said exactly when they are advertising the new season of Harley Quinn as "coming soon."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched Return of the Joker, holy moly. That is one incredible film. I haven't been glued to the screen like that in a while, just outrageously good. Reminds me a bit of how Transformers the Movie nailed that epicness and no-holds-barred take on a series, with just the utmost class. I'm blown away.

Wish they made movies like that today! Glad I've got these gems to get around to. Not to say there isn't still good stuff, and for animation along this tone there's an anime gem from time to time, but man what a time and place captured here. Even with the early digital paint, it's just some of the coolest looking animated directing I've seen.

Also, while Matt Reeves did I think a solid pretty good Batman movie, this is much more like it. How you can do a really grim tale, but still have that heart on your sleeve emotion to it, makes it all the better. Like my favorite Batman TAS episode I Am The Night, nothing is more touching than the epic pathos of Batman done like that. Anyways, here's hoping the makers like Brubaker of that new Batman animated series capture some of the heart and soul they found in these classics.

And I've still got most of Batman Beyond to watch, I skipped to the movie after just 8 eps. Loved that first Royal Flush Gang episode too.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Back in 05 or 06 I remember going to an event at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood where Bruce Timm shared some of his favorite episodes from his shows on the big screen along with some unshown episodes of JLU at the time. When “Over the Edge” started the crowd erupted. He also played “My Girl” from Superman and what I think is the best episode of Batman Beyond “Splicers.” That has one of the most epic and disturbing boss fights. They probably blew the entire season’s budget on that. I forget which JLU he played, pretty sure it was the 7 soldiers of victory episode…though I do remember watching something with Devil Ray and being able to really see his trident bullets instead of flashes of light coming out of his gun. He did end the night with a clip of Tim Curry’s Joker….which just sounds like a more snarling version of Mark’s, not what I was expecting.

05, 06, was awesome in my life. My brother and I used to drive down to the he valley, sell our blood, then immediately use that money to do cool poo poo like go to weird movie events, see awesome comedy at UCB, and waste way too much time at Indy wrestling shows. I got to be the announcer for the Young Bucks’ wrestling show, they totally would never got anywhere if it wasn’t for me drat it….hahahaha….yeah no.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Just watched Return of the Joker, holy moly. That is one incredible film. I haven't been glued to the screen like that in a while, just outrageously good. Reminds me a bit of how Transformers the Movie nailed that epicness and no-holds-barred take on a series, with just the utmost class. I'm blown away.

Wish they made movies like that today! Glad I've got these gems to get around to. Not to say there isn't still good stuff, and for animation along this tone there's an anime gem from time to time, but man what a time and place captured here. Even with the early digital paint, it's just some of the coolest looking animated directing I've seen.

Also, while Matt Reeves did I think a solid pretty good Batman movie, this is much more like it. How you can do a really grim tale, but still have that heart on your sleeve emotion to it, makes it all the better. Like my favorite Batman TAS episode I Am The Night, nothing is more touching than the epic pathos of Batman done like that. Anyways, here's hoping the makers like Brubaker of that new Batman animated series capture some of the heart and soul they found in these classics.

And I've still got most of Batman Beyond to watch, I skipped to the movie after just 8 eps. Loved that first Royal Flush Gang episode too.

have you seen the Under the Red Hood movie? I firmly believe it and Return of the Joker are the two best Batman movies, period.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

NikkolasKing posted:

have you seen the Under the Red Hood movie? I firmly believe it and Return of the Joker are the two best Batman movies, period.

The last fight in ROTJ is so good. The first sequence is also stunning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Batman Beyond is great, though those first episodes are among the best, just getting the world and characters out completely formed. The pilot is maybe one of the best episodes of the series for me. They try to lighten things and make them a bit less dire after the first season, and my preference is for Terry and Bruce to be basically on their own and ignored or brutalized by all institutions that could help. Their relationship is the best part of the show.

You’ve seen Mask of the Phantasm, right? That’s way up there with Return of the Joker.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Batman Beyond is great, though those first episodes are among the best, just getting the world and characters out completely formed. The pilot is maybe one of the best episodes of the series for me. They try to lighten things and make them a bit less dire after the first season, and my preference is for Terry and Bruce to be basically on their own and ignored or brutalized by all institutions that could help. Their relationship is the best part of the show.

You’ve seen Mask of the Phantasm, right? That’s way up there with Return of the Joker.

Mask of the Phantasm will probably always be not only best animated Batman film, but just best Batman film overall that was made. IMO, naturally.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Baby posted:

Back in 05 or 06 I remember going to an event at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood where Bruce Timm shared some of his favorite episodes from his shows on the big screen along with some unshown episodes of JLU at the time. When “Over the Edge” started the crowd erupted. He also played “My Girl” from Superman and what I think is the best episode of Batman Beyond “Splicers.” That has one of the most epic and disturbing boss fights. They probably blew the entire season’s budget on that. I forget which JLU he played, pretty sure it was the 7 soldiers of victory episode…though I do remember watching something with Devil Ray and being able to really see his trident bullets instead of flashes of light coming out of his gun. He did end the night with a clip of Tim Curry’s Joker….which just sounds like a more snarling version of Mark’s, not what I was expecting.

05, 06, was awesome in my life. My brother and I used to drive down to the he valley, sell our blood, then immediately use that money to do cool poo poo like go to weird movie events, see awesome comedy at UCB, and waste way too much time at Indy wrestling shows. I got to be the announcer for the Young Bucks’ wrestling show, they totally would never got anywhere if it wasn’t for me drat it….hahahaha….yeah no.

That rules!

Always cool to see people digging this stuff in here. For comparing the movies, I do like Under the Red Hood, but it's not one of my top favs. For that era of comic adaptations I like the Miller ones a bit better, and I guess something about that run of films feels a little less spontaneous or unique in vibe to me compared to this DCAU stuff. But some cool flicks for sure. I enjoyed those Loeb based Batman/Superman movies and Superman vs The Elite based on that Kelly comic too.

Mask of the Phantasm rules, absolutely, one of the best movies for me too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 21, 2022

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The best Batman movies are Phantasm, ROTJ and Under the Red Hood, easily.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My friends were ranking Batman movies recently too, ranking is tough! I'll say the Batman '66 movie is a masterpiece, right up there with stuff like Airplane for comedy classics. Ahead of its time too.

I see it has a 6.5 on imdb, and I just gotta say, what a robbery. It's better than most eps of the show which has a 7.5, and it has more votes, so I figure more people saw it that didn't get it.

Most eps of Batman TAS are the best movies ever.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 22, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jiro posted:

Mask of the Phantasm will probably always be not only best animated Batman film, but just best Batman film overall that was made. IMO, naturally.

It’s very rare to have a Batman movie where Batman is the most interesting character. Mask of the Phantasm might be the only one I’ve ever seen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jiro posted:

I'm going to nominate SubZero as a pretty good Batman movie.

It's what Batman and Robin should have been.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heavy Metal posted:

Most eps of Batman TAS are the best movies ever.

Honestly, this is one of the factors that really pulled BTAS ahead of it's contemporaries, and even it's successors. It was probably the last animated show where each episode was designed in the same way you would a movie to include a full symphony score and big attention put into the cinematography and voice acting.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s very rare to have a Batman movie where Batman is the most interesting character. Mask of the Phantasm might be the only one I’ve ever seen.

This is always a take I'm baffled by. Batman is a billionaire ninja with daddy issues who drives a rocket car. How can he not be the most interesting character in whatever he shows up in?*

Also for those jonesing for more Batman, Audible has a really good Batman audio drama, Batman: Unburried.

Very much a recomend.

*= case in point, The Lego Movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think it depends entirely on the Batman story. I remember reading a retrospective review of The Dark Knight Returns where the many faces of Batman were brought up. He's a detective/he's a brawler, he's a loner/he has the Batfamily, and so-on. I think it just depends what kind of Batman story you like or feel like at the moment.

I mentioned earlier I'm all about the Batfamily and that's probably a big part of why I prefer Red Hood and Joker over Phantasm. Phantasm is great, has probably the single best solo Batman scene ever ("I didn't count on being happy") but I just feel he works best with a sidekick or former sidekick or love interest. I think Catwoman is part of the Batfamily?

I guess that is another reason I'm not super wild about Phantasm, I did not feel anything for this movie exclusive love interest.

EDIT:
Speaking of Batman being a brawler, I feel like TAS never really touched on Batman being a ninja master of martial arts, at least early on. He kinda just hits guys. That's my memory, anyway. It emphasizes his "detective side."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

EDIT:
Speaking of Batman being a brawler, I feel like TAS never really touched on Batman being a ninja master of martial arts, at least early on. He kinda just hits guys. That's my memory, anyway. It emphasizes his "detective side."

There was at least one episode where he had to go back to Japan to see his old teacher and defeat his rival who had turned evil and learned the magic death touch.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Napoleon Nelson posted:

There was at least one episode where he had to go back to Japan to see his old teacher and defeat his rival who had turned evil and learned the magic death touch.

Night of the Ninja and Day of the Samurai, IIRC

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Wasn’t one of those episodes him having to be a bumbling fool while Summer Gleason was around so he wouldn’t blow his cover? Then a rag falls on her head and she thinks Batman just showed up. That’s bullshit Summer! It reminds me of the Arkham Knight game, once his identity is revealed all the thugs think he’s a wimp now. They should be more scared him! He’s an insane man with limitless abilities and funds to match. He has a tank now!

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Speaking of shows where Batman is the best and everyone knows it, Batman: Brave and the Bold is by far one of best action cartoons ever made. It has the best rendition of Blue Beetle (both of them), Bat-Mite, and Aqua Man. My wife and my best friend will still quote “Batman Does not eat nachos!” and “A whole wing dedicated to me!?!?” Outrageous! The hammers of Justice! My brother worked production on one of Dedrich Bader’s movies and said the dude lit up when he brought up the cartoon.

Speaking of shows where he has no personality, look no further then “The Batman” from 2004! It just does everything wrong for the guy. When he needed an iron man suit to beat bane I kinda checked out. Then he only uses it occasionally? Why? He comes off so mean and empty…that show was such a bumpy ride. I don’t see why barb got 2 episodes to establish her role as batgirl, while Robin gets 1. The Robin episode is way too dark for children television and doesn’t give Dick anytime to reflect, he’s just thrown right into it because teen Titans is canceled and they can have Robin now! Then Barb gets treated even worse. There’s a future episode where she’s in her Oracle role and Bruce has gone full DKR calling people “soldier” and going on about the war. This Batman is totally the Batman I expect to be the DKR Batman. That’s not a compliment.

I remember being so excited when Terry finally showed up in the DCU. I know no one likes the implications that Batman Beyond is the decided future of the DCAU. But the comic screws up in the beginning by trying to be a sequel to the show and tie into the regular DCU. I think they tried to fix it but made it worse? I jumped off sometime during the muck up known as “Future State” or was it Future’s End? I dunno but I remember not finishing it, Terry dies, and a future Tim Drake from 5 years in the future becomes Batman Beyond? What? Anyway….

Also wanted to say Robin is great in Brave in the bold too. The sidecar bit “You loved the side car!” and when he and Batman argue over which island to and figuring each other out.

King Baby fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 22, 2022

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Everyone is acting like they haven't seen Batman Ninja and I don't know how to feel about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Batman Ninja is fun, but sorta seems like a 90 minute video game cutscene.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

This is always a take I'm baffled by. Batman is a billionaire ninja with daddy issues who drives a rocket car. How can he not be the most interesting character in whatever he shows up in?*

Also for those jonesing for more Batman, Audible has a really good Batman audio drama, Batman: Unburried.

Very much a recomend.

*= case in point, The Lego Movie.

Batman’s qualities don’t really allow for character-based stories where he is challenged and grows as a result most of the time. He’s pretty much just the way he is. All of his villains have some kind of fixation that involves revenge over being wronged or some other psychological hang-up that the story is framed around, and they grow into their role over time, so it’s easy for them to get more focus. Phantasm puts that focus back on Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Batman Ninja is fun, but sorta seems like a 90 minute video game cutscene.

It is pretty telling that the English language version of Batman Ninja was just made up from what they see as they didn't have a script.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Batman is an interesting son of a gun I think, but Judge Dredd is also one of my fav comics. When a character is really really stoic, even a little gesture or bit of emotion comes across as even more significant, when done well.

I started that Harley Quinn show by the way. Rules! They have their cake and eat it too I'd say, delightful humor and parody while still having genuine earnest love for the thing as well.

Also it's funny, New Batman Adventures at times didn't seem so far off in tone. That Jokers Millions episode with the fake Harley and stuff was very funny and nutty.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 23, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm going to nominate SubZero as a pretty good Batman movie.

It's what Batman and Robin should have been.

It's been a while, but I remember Sub Zero being pretty good too. I need to check it out again.

Return of the Joker and Mask of the Phantasm are just 1a and 1b for me. They're both so so good.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Sub Zero has the best cape animation ever. That thing moves like jazz.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heavy Metal posted:

I started that Harley Quinn show by the way. Rules! They have their cake and eat it too I'd say, delightful humor and parody while still having genuine earnest love for the thing as well.

Harley Quinn singlehandedly redeemed Dark Knight Rises by giving us a parody of Bane that is the best version of the character ever written.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I do love that Bane, but I gotta keep it real, I love Hardy Bane too. And that's one of my fav movies. :shobon:

I'm doing a thing where I'm watching a couple eps of a few series at once, and it's pretty fun. Have about 12 eps left of Batman New Adventures, also doing Batman Beyond, Harley Quinn, and Superman. Like a toon TV station over here.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 23, 2022

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
DKRises was great. gently caress da haters :colbert:

The new season of Harley needs to get here soon. Once Venture Bros. gets its finale movie, it'll be all we have in the animated-super-cartoon-parody genre! You'd think with how big Marvel is, they'd have one of those too. But I don't care about Marvel, so I'm glad we have Harley.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nanigans posted:

DKRises was great. gently caress da haters :colbert:

The new season of Harley needs to get here soon. Once Venture Bros. gets its finale movie, it'll be all we have in the animated-super-cartoon-parody genre! You'd think with how big Marvel is, they'd have one of those too.
They had one. They cancelled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSEWdhHBlYU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

All this talk about the best Batman movie and no one brought up The Lego Batman Movie.

Seriously. Even with the Warner Bros. IP shilling the movie still manages to have a real heart to it, and you can tell the team working on it had an honest love for Batman and his surrounding characters. The movie is a real labor of love and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as things like Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AlternateNu posted:

a parody of Bane that is the best version of the character ever written.

I love Harley Quinn Bane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLpHPqrK3o

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Gordon is the best part of Harley Quinn for me. I love how his big plan is just to drive around town with a “Come Back Batman!” Banner. Then he freaks out when he sees Batman sitting because “Batman never sits!” A throw back to that old meme from years ago…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wrong thread

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 26, 2022